Newbie Grower, Carmen Auto x Diva, Outdoors

Ok, great!
Do you have a formula?
Sure, either a KNF sugar extract or a Jadam water one using the new bamboo shoots emerging from the soil.

For KNF, mix equal parts by weight of plant material and brown sugar. Put in a glass container with a breathable lid and fill no more than 2/3'ds full. After a week or two, filter out the liquid and use it diluted 1:1,000 to water your plants.

For Jadam, put your plant material in a container, no more than 2/3rds full, cover with water and add some microbes from leaf mold or worm castings and cover with a non-breathable lid (it will smell pretty bad). It is usable after 10 days or so, but gets better with age. Use it diluted 1:25 or so with non-chlorinated water to water your plants.

Sure, either a KNF sugar extract or a Jadam water one using the new bamboo shoots emerging from the soil.

For KNF, mix equal parts by weight of plant material and brown sugar. Put in a glass container with a breathable lid and fill no more than 2/3'ds full. After a week or two, filter out the liquid and use it diluted 1:1,000 to water your plants.

For Jadam, put your plant material in a container, no more than 2/3rds full, cover with water and add some microbes from leaf mold or worm castings and cover with a non-breathable lid (it will smell pretty bad). It is usable after 10 days or so, but gets better with age. Use it diluted 1:25 or so with non-chlorinated water to water your plants.
:thumb: :thumb:

We will try it, and see!!

:nerd-with-glasses::nerd-with-glasses::nerd-with-glasses::nerd-with-glasses:

If the Perlite Parfaits will work for me (meaning, if even I can't kill them), I think about big 15g and 40g cloth sacks like what @cbdhemp808 was talking about.
And then I can grow photoperiods either with the sun, and let them go all summer.
Or I can do a veg house, and a flower house (just don't add extra light).
Still praying and mulling about what to do.
I'm still using the 15g smart pots, but also using 5g and 6.5g black plastic nursery pots. I decided 5g was too small for my grow, once the plants go into flower, but I use 5g for clone moms. I decided now to use the 6.5g for a while, to finish most of my plants in flower. I'll use 15g if I'm going for a higher yield for a particular plant. I may also pick up a couple 10g nursery pots, to experiment with.

I'm getting ready to build an experimental SIP-type system using nested 5g buckets.

Well, it will be interesting to hear your conclusions if you figure something out.
I think it may have to do with filling the res constantly & having no hole in the side of the bucket. Maybe the soil got a little to moist.
I was adding Cal-Mag last grow. I was told MC has plenty enough Cal-Mag without adding any. I was also told that too much Mag could lockout Potassium. So maybe that was it. I'm not really sure which or what it is with doing so many things wrong. Too many variables. I'll just try it a little different this round & see how it goes. I got the holes in the buckets & not using Cal-Mag.... so let's see how things go.

Clumping bamboo is not invasive. The other kind definitely is.
Right. But doesn't all bamboo keep close to a water source?
Here they plant bamboo by springs, to develop them.
Bamboo are thirsty, so if there is a water flow, the bamboo will put an extra draw on that water, and so the underground rivulet may open up more.
But the bamboo does not climb up and away from the water source.
For example, you can find it around waterways (and planted around springs), but you don't generally see a thicket away from a spring or other water source.

On the other hand, my brother planted bamboo next to a rockery by the house I lived in as a child.
I don't think we ever did get it dug out of the rockery, and there is no water source there!
And you could not dig it out, because of the retaining wall rocks.
But it also did not spread, and take over the rest of the garden. It held itself to a certain area.

You see it around waterways and springs here.

I'm still using the 15g smart pots, but also using 5g and 6.5g black plastic nursery pots. I decided 5g was too small for my grow, once the plants go into flower, but I use 5g for clone moms. I decided now to use the 6.5g for a while, to finish most of my plants in flower. I'll use 15g if I'm going for a higher yield for a particular plant. I may also pick up a couple 10g nursery pots, to experiment with.

I'm getting ready to build an experimental SIP-type system using nested 5g buckets.
Ok, great! I hope it goes great for you!

Are you still planning those 40G cloth pots (Tall vs. Wide)?
(Or is that for another time now?)

I am still mulling about your "constant harvest" setup. It would seem easy to do here. I would just have to do have more than one greenhouse, one with "gas lantern routine", and one without.
I like your idea of just moving the buckets to the non-lighted tent.
(I am toking on that one a lot.):hookah::hookah:

But doesn't all bamboo keep close to a water source?
I doubt the non-clumping type would have a problem moving away from a water source, so long as there's some rain.

We get a lot of rain... bamboo goes crazy here. I've seen clumps of bamboo that would blow your mind how big and tall they are. Some of it is large diameter construction bamboo.

Are you still planning those 40G cloth pots (Tall vs. Wide)?
Maybe later, after my big greenhouse is back online. I have multiple other projects first.

I am still mulling about your "constant harvest" setup. It would seem easy to do here. I would just have to do have more than one greenhouse, one with "gas lantern routine", and one without.
"Gas lantern routine" has been replaced by "night interruption lighting"... unless you plan on using propane lanterns. :laughtwo:

I like your idea of just moving the buckets to the non-lighted tent.
This is a very common practice – veg greenhouse and flower greenhouse.

You are right near the equator there in Columbia, so you can flower cannabis anytime of the year outdoors, just like here in Hawaii.

My experience growing clones – and clones of clones... ♾️ – is that they go into flower very quickly once transferred, and flowering time is short... between about 5 and 7 weeks.

I doubt the non-clumping type would have a problem moving away from a water source, so long as there's some rain.

We get a lot of rain... bamboo goes crazy here. I've seen clumps of bamboo that would blow your mind how big and tall they are. Some of it is large diameter construction bamboo.
Ok. I will look into it.
They get rain almost every day where I am going, but for some reason the bamboo holds near to the water sources.
I think different plants behave differently depending on the specific microclimate (including seasons, weather, sun, rain, humidity, etc.).
It is a thirsty plant, and I just have not seen it away from water sources here.
But Hawaii, that might be a different story!
I think you get a lot more humidity there.

Maybe later, after my big greenhouse is back online. I have multiple other projects first.
Ok.
"Gas lantern routine" has been replaced by "night interruption lighting"... unless you plan on using propane lanterns. :laughtwo:
Haha, whatever I have!
This is a very common practice – veg greenhouse and flower greenhouse.
Yeah, it seems intuitive. Not sure why I am so slow with it....
Right now I have to deal with night security lights.
I am almost sure I will have to deal with night security lights at the next rental also, so I am planning to continue with autos until we get to the final destination.
You are right near the equator there in Columbia, so you can flower cannabis anytime of the year outdoors, just like here in Hawaii.
Sí.
My experience growing clones – and clones of clones... ♾️ – is that they go into flower very quickly once transferred, and flowering time is short... between about 5 and 7 weeks.
Ok. That seems good to know. Thanks!
Do you mean that you get less overall bud with clones, because they have less time to finish?
Or do you mean that the plants make the same quantity and quality of bud in less time?
Or is there a different meaning?

Ok. I will look into it.
They get rain almost every day where I am going, but for some reason the bamboo holds near to the water sources.
I think different plants behave differently depending on the specific microclimate (including seasons, weather, sun, rain, humidity, etc.).
It is a thirsty plant, and I just have not seen it away from water sources here.
But Hawaii, that might be a different story!
I think you get a lot more humidity there.
There are over 1000 species of bamboo. I'm sure some are more adapted to dryer climates. Lots of plants in dryer environments will grow near to streams, lakes, rivers, wetlands, etc.

... another one of our planet's most amazing plants.

There are over 1000 species of bamboo.

=:-o

Ok, I bought seeds for Japanese Giant Bamboo, and also for golden bamboo.
Now I will have to research them much more, thanks!

I have a whack of bamboo that I planted years ago in order to grow my own bamboo sticks (and block out the neighbours.) As a result, there is a carpet of dried bamboo leaves and root husks always drying out under my deck nearby. These are well over 50% silica within only a year and provide a supply it would require a working acreage to use fully each year, so I have a serious surplus. I mix the crushed or cut-up dry bamboo leaf with all of my potted 'soils' for silica and aeration and I'm quite pleased with it in this regard.

There are good bamboo husbanding resources online. Plant the right kinds, in depressions, low spots, and you'll have a bounty within a year. I'm sorry I can't provide the intel resources, I've long stopped needing them, but you can find them quite easily. Choosing your variety is critical, again for the same reasons as the comfrey, it can be an uncontrollable menace if poorly chosen and improperly planted. Get that right though and it is a huge resource at very little cost.

I'm grateful that on my small suburban plot I've now got a number of large maples and other trees I planted that are now strong, towering adult trees. It's remarkable what takes place over 20 years. I mean it, they are huge... and I live on the west coast, where that's actually saying something!

Hey dog,
I have a whack of bamboo that I planted years ago in order to grow my own bamboo sticks (and block out the neighbours.) As a result, there is a carpet of dried bamboo leaves and root husks always drying out under my deck nearby. These are well over 50% silica within only a year and provide a supply it would require a working acreage to use fully each year, so I have a serious surplus. I mix the crushed or cut-up dry bamboo leaf with all of my potted 'soils' for silica and aeration and I'm quite pleased with it in this regard.
Super good to know, thanks!
I may get my leaf mould yet!!
There are good bamboo husbanding resources online. Plant the right kinds, in depressions, low spots, and you'll have a bounty within a year.
Yeah, that's what I was talking about.
So I have to find one of those varieties that clump around a waterhole, rather than spread?
I thought about the Japanese Giant Bamboo, because they like to use bamboo to make things here (ladders, sheds, greenhouses, etc.). They use it for all kinds of things.
Time is super scarce here, so may I should just look for an existing clump near a waterhole, and take some shoots, and call it good for now??
I'm sorry I can't provide the intel resources, I've long stopped needing them, but you can find them quite easily. Choosing your variety is critical, again for the same reasons as the comfrey, it can be an uncontrollable menace if poorly chosen and improperly planted. Get that right though and it is a huge resource at very little cost.
Yeah, it sounds like you, CBD, Azi, and everyone trying to warn me off from a bad landing.
Maybe I better listen???
(Hmm.... new practices...... oy.... haha.)
I'm grateful that on my small suburban plot I've now got a number of large maples and other trees I planted that are now strong, towering adult trees. It's remarkable what takes place over 20 years. I mean it, they are huge... and I live on the west coast, where that's actually saying something!
Well, I grew up in the Seattle area, and we had huge maples there.
I don't know the variety, but we would throw the seed pods up in the air, and watch them spiral down.
But I get your point that some stuff grows different on the East Coast, vs. West Coast, vs. the heartland, etc.
Some stuff that grows on one coast won't grow as well on the other coast due to humidity, etc., even though the latitude is the same.
Now change the latitude.
Now add different pests.
Blackberries go insane in North America, but I have never seen a patch of blackberries get out of control in Latin America. They are massively invasive where I grew up, but here they are relatively tame.

And if you would not look at me like I was still out on a mushroom trip, I would talk about how each piece of ground on the planet has its own unique energies, and how certain plants match those energies, while others not. So the point is to find a good fit.
But your point is very well made--some species will still over-achieve when transplanted, and could at least hypothetically upset the whole microsystem--so yeah, maybe I had better listen??????
🙄 🙄 😬 😬
Thanks.

Yeah, I’m close to Seattle, very. Vancouver Island. Just “Beyond the Wall” from Seattle, as it were. Where the wildlings live.
Siiii...... Vancouver Island is A+++ in my book!
I used to stay in a hostel with canoes, and we would canoe into the city center and go all around on foot, just tie up the canoe, no problem... it will be there when you get back....
Check out the Museum of Natural History (and the Woolly Mammoth that greets you!).
:welcome:
One of my fave rave places....
Seals in the water....
Nice place!!

Umm... this is kind of OT, but is there a thread on the forum for vaporizers for use with concentrates?
Until I can get a proper CBD harvest, I am smoking some thick black resiny THC tar-like stuff on a wire mesh screen and a lighter.
I extend the hit through a food-grade flexi tube, but I am rashing my throat.
I am very thankful for the tar, and I really love the stratosphere (and it helps with the brain re-connecting old dots a lot) but I need some solution that does not rash my throat.
Is there a thread on the forum for that?
Thanks.

Umm... this is kind of OT, but is there a thread on the forum for vaporizers for use with concentrates?
Until I can get a proper CBD harvest, I am smoking some thick black resiny THC tar-like stuff on a wire mesh screen and a lighter.
I extend the hit through a food-grade flexi tube, but I am rashing my throat.
I am very thankful for the tar, and I really love the stratosphere (and it helps with the brain re-connecting old dots a lot) but I need some solution that does not rash my throat.
Is there a thread on the forum for that?
Thanks.
Hi el gringuito, one thing you can do is decarboxylate it and eat it.

Back
Top Bottom