Newbie Grower, Carmen Auto x Diva, Outdoors

Rice hulls are definitely considered organic and are often recommended for the aeration portion of the mix. I've never used them but understand that they get broken down by the microbes over time and therefore have to be replaced for each grow unlike perlite that is inert and will last longer. But, the perlite itself will break down over time into smaller and smaller pieces and lose its effectiveness and must be replaced as well, just not as often.

Pumice is a better alternative to perlite in that it doesn't break down (at least as easily) and also doesn't float so it stays where you put it in your mix vs perlite which can tend to float up and out over time.

If you have cheap and easy access to rice hulls, they would be an excellent component for aeration.
Ok, cool, thank you!
Yes, I can see that they would break down a lot, and need replacement. But that should put some pretty good silica in the soil.
Is there any concern that rice hulls will soak up TOO MUCH water (i.e., be too wet)??
Or do rice hulls just cause things to be fluffy and aerated (and they are not too hydrophyllic)?

Dr. Google sez:
Does rice husk absorb water?
Rice husk can absorb water ranging from 5% to 16% of unit weights, and the unit weight of rice husk is 83–125 kg/m3 (Mansaray & Ghaly, 1998). The ash of rice husk contains approximately 90% silica, which is a highly porous structure and is lightweight, with high specific surface area.

5-16% seems pretty good, but I thought I should check.

Thanks, @Buds Buddy !
I kind of agree with you on MC (Mega Crop). In Fabric pots I did see Cal-Mag defs. But in SIP's I didn't get it. I got the Potassium Def. instead that you mentioned. Not sure if it's just a coincidence or what. I should know after the 2nd SIP grow I'm doing now.
And thanks @Bill284 !
I apologize for not answering your questions in my thread yet.
No worries, amigo!! I am so thankful for your and everyone else's help! (It is a huge help!!)
After the weekend I been a little rough.
Sorry to hear you are not feeling well! Did you over-partake? (Hahaha...)
I'll try and catch up today,
Superthrive is pretty dam good but not 200 bucks good.
I usually grab a small bottle for for when their young.
Ok, I will try a $20 bottle, and see how long it lasts. Thanks!
But do you have any local products that are economical.
Well, they like to keep things real (real) simple here.
They dig a pit, and throw their kitchen waste into it, and then let the worms go at it.
Then after 2-3 months they plant direct.
OR, they take that kitchen compost, mix it with rice hulls, and plant direct into their pots. That seems pretty rich to me, but they do it all the time here (and I am sure plenty of Colombian pot has been grown using this method).

So, I was thinking I could throw the kitchen waste into the pit, wait 3 months, dig it out, and layer it with cheap rice hulls, and maybe some Perlite (for variety).
I could do it either in ground or in pots.
I need to experiment with various types of aeration, because I can tell I need to replace my thinking on roots and microbes and aeration. (I have lots and lots and lots to learn yet!)

As far as economical, I am hoping to plant some of the Rev and KNF and Jadam plants that @Azimuth is talking about. I am just disciplinging myself to wait until I move, so I can move en masse, and not kibble and bit.
I am hanging in there real good with concentrates (dab? not sure) until I can bring in a real CBD harvest.
(And with mamber and rape, haha.)
B1 or kelp? A root health product is all you need.
B1 like a B1 supplement from a health food store?
Or other form of B1?
I would love to find kelp meal here, but so far I have not found it.
Access here is VERY limited compared!
I wonder if Azi or @StoneOtter or @ReservoirDog know a good alternate B1 supplement?
I don't want you to break the budget on the first item.
Thank you! I will try for a $20 bottle.
A small bottle will last quite a while if you can get one.
How many plants are you planning on starting with?
Well, good question.
I have a 20 plant limit.
I don't have time, so I bought 20 of @Buds Buddy 's commercial SIP units.
I have maybe 7 younger girls I will probably bring to the new place, so probably I will start with 13, and then add more.

I want to do some SIP, some SWICK, and some Bill284 Perlite Parfaits in cloth sacks.
I got excited about SWICK because of your Perlite Parfaits.

If the Perlite Parfaits will work for me (meaning, if even I can't kill them), I think about big 15g and 40g cloth sacks like what @cbdhemp808 was talking about.
And then I can grow photoperiods either with the sun, and let them go all summer.
Or I can do a veg house, and a flower house (just don't add extra light).
Still praying and mulling about what to do.

I am excited for the idea of your Perlite Parfaits!
Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:
Thanks @Buds Buddy !
And thanks everyone, for all of the help!

I don't use a SIP for cannabis, just a store bought one for flowers. My information can't be seen as gospel for them purly. If $$ is a thing then look to Coots mix too if you swap over to soil. I think it's more simple and sounds very good.
Ok, thanks, @StoneOtter !
I like Coots.
It will be great if I ever get time to read the Rev!
I hope your girls are growing big and strong and smelly! (Haha.)

Yes, I can see that they would break down a lot, and need replacement. But that should put some pretty good silica in the soil.
I would imagine that you wouldn't see much of the silica benefit in the first round with that soil. So another good reason to recycle your mix. Same applies to the sand I add to mine, and that takes a lot longer than the rice hulls to break down.

Is there any concern that rice hulls will soak up TOO MUCH water (i.e., be too wet)??
Or do rice hulls just cause things to be fluffy and aerated (and they are not too hydrophyllic)?
I wouldn't think so. I've never heard that expressed as an issue, but have heard lots of growers use them for aeration so you should be good.

The ash of rice husk contains approximately 90% silica, which is a highly porous structure and is lightweight, with high specific surface area.
Wow, 90% silica is what's left after it breaks down. No wonder it is a popular amendment. :thumb:

Thanks, @Buds Buddy !

And thanks @Bill284 !

No worries, amigo!! I am so thankful for your and everyone else's help! (It is a huge help!!)

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well! Did you over-partake? (Hahaha...)

Ok, I will try a $20 bottle, and see how long it lasts. Thanks!

Well, they like to keep things real (real) simple here.
They dig a pit, and throw their kitchen waste into it, and then let the worms go at it.
Then after 2-3 months they plant direct.
OR, they take that kitchen compost, mix it with rice hulls, and plant direct into their pots. That seems pretty rich to me, but they do it all the time here (and I am sure plenty of Colombian pot has been grown using this method).

So, I was thinking I could throw the kitchen waste into the pit, wait 3 months, dig it out, and layer it with cheap rice hulls, and maybe some Perlite (for variety).
I could do it either in ground or in pots.
I need to experiment with various types of aeration, because I can tell I need to replace my thinking on roots and microbes and aeration. (I have lots and lots and lots to learn yet!)

As far as economical, I am hoping to plant some of the Rev and KNF and Jadam plants that @Azimuth is talking about. I am just disciplinging myself to wait until I move, so I can move en masse, and not kibble and bit.
I am hanging in there real good with concentrates (dab? not sure) until I can bring in a real CBD harvest.
(And with mamber and rape, haha.)

B1 like a B1 supplement from a health food store?
Or other form of B1?
I would love to find kelp meal here, but so far I have not found it.
Access here is VERY limited compared!
I wonder if Azi or @StoneOtter or @ReservoirDog know a good alternate B1 supplement?

Thank you! I will try for a $20 bottle.

Well, good question.
I have a 20 plant limit.
I don't have time, so I bought 20 of @Buds Buddy 's commercial SIP units.
I have maybe 7 younger girls I will probably bring to the new place, so probably I will start with 13, and then add more.

I want to do some SIP, some SWICK, and some Bill284 Perlite Parfaits in cloth sacks.
I got excited about SWICK because of your Perlite Parfaits.

If the Perlite Parfaits will work for me (meaning, if even I can't kill them), I think about big 15g and 40g cloth sacks like what @cbdhemp808 was talking about.
And then I can grow photoperiods either with the sun, and let them go all summer.
Or I can do a veg house, and a flower house (just don't add extra light).
Still praying and mulling about what to do.

I am excited for the idea of your Perlite Parfaits!

Thanks @Buds Buddy !
And thanks everyone, for all of the help!
I don't. Are you close to the ocean? You can make some if you are.

In Fabric pots I did see Cal-Mag defs. But in SIP's I didn't get it. I got the Potassium Def. instead that you mentioned. Not sure if it's just a coincidence or what. I should know after the 2nd SIP grow I'm doing now.
I can't see the pot itself making much of any difference in whatever deficiencies you see. The fabric pots allow more air to the roots, but that's really only the roots at the very edge of the pot and they die off after exposure. Maybe I'm missing something but I would look more to environment (maybe light source?) or soil mix, or something else.

If it is the pot structure, it's probably something other than the actual pot (i.e. not fabric vs plastic), meaning maybe constantly moist soil uses nutrients in a different way, or some nutrients are more easily absorbed in either a slightly wetter or drier environment, or something. But you're saying you are seeing a different deficiency. :hmmmm:

This will be an interesting observation to follow and I hope you'll remind us along the way with your observations.

I don't use a SIP for cannabis, just a store bought one for flowers.
Hey, SO.

Any appetite for trying a cannabis SIP with the Rev's mix? It would broaden out the experience pool to see how different soils do with these things. In all my research I have yet to come across someone who was disappointed in the results. :Namaste:

Hey, SO.

Any appetite for trying a cannabis SIP with the Rev's mix? It would broaden out the experience pool to see how different soils do with these things. In all my research I have yet to come across someone who was disappointed in the results. :Namaste:
I'm a believer Azi. I've seen them work in the garden for decades. I do want to but my energy level isn't high right now. It's not out of the question for a later time! A friend used to grow eggplant and tomatoes in them outdoors and man did they flourish! Thanks for the ask!

I can't see the pot itself making much of any difference in whatever deficiencies you see. The fabric pots allow more air to the roots, but that's really only the roots at the very edge of the pot and they die off after exposure. Maybe I'm missing something but I would look more to environment (maybe light source?) or soil mix, or something else.

If it is the pot structure, it's probably something other than the actual pot (i.e. not fabric vs plastic), meaning maybe constantly moist soil uses nutrients in a different way, or some nutrients are more easily absorbed in either a slightly wetter or drier environment, or something. But you're saying you are seeing a different deficiency. :hmmmm:

This will be an interesting observation to follow and I hope you'll remind us along the way with your observations.
I don't think it's the difference in pots. But I think there may be some kind of difference.

I don't. Are you close to the ocean? You can make some if you are.
Actually not. The ocean is like a 6 hour drive, and the people usually eat what's local.
But do you mean like, maybe I can find someone on the coast to coast collect a big bucket of kelp, and then send it to me?
Now that I think about it, in Chile they sell dried kelp in stores. So maybe I can ask and we can find it here?
Maybe people in the highlands don't eat it, but I imagine people near the ocean collect and eat it, so there should be some way to get it. Thanks, @StoneOtter !!
:thumb:
I will check and see what I can find...

Yeah, sorry! It is an outdoor greenhouse grow. I have a standard yellow-tinged plastic (that cuts light a little, but it is what I have), and it is cloudy a lot here.
In the next thread I will try to label it with the necessary information right in the title.
I am thinking about:

Colombian Andes Greenhouse 3-way SIP vs. SWICK vs. Bill284's Perlite Parfait CBD Auto Shootout

What do you think? Does that give the correct details?
Or is there better?

Yeah, sorry my postings have been so spotty.
We had some stuff come up, and now I am on deadline again, so I did not get time to catch up on my reading, and I will go back to spotty for a couple of days. (Sorry about that!)
The re-ferment is #1 on the list after that.

Probably when I leave here I will just cut everything where it is, so there are no concerns about "trafficking" plants, or anything silly like that (but I don't want to come up on anyone's radar here!! That is for sure!! Lol!!!)
So probably I will cut everything, and then start fresh with 20 SIPs.
I have a 20 plant limit, and I also want to try some SWICKs and Bill's Perlite Parfaits, so I will have some SIPs left over.

Maybe I can use the extra SIPs to grow Comfrey, and Nettle, and such, while I am still a long ways from the property?
Will it work to fill the spare SIPs with cheap local kitchen compost and rice hulls, and then grow them in SIPs?
And then use those to make herb teas?
Or is there a better plan?

Probably I will be at this house a year or so (maybe), so it would be good to grow all the comfrey and nettle I need, and then I can make all the canna teas I will need for a long time.
Will that work?
Or is there better?

As always, thanks for your help, Azi.

I'm a believer Azi. I've seen them work in the garden for decades. I do want to but my energy level isn't high right now. It's not out of the question for a later time! A friend used to grow eggplant and tomatoes in them outdoors and man did they flourish! Thanks for the ask!
Hey @StoneOtter , I hope you feel better! Thanks for your help!

I don't think it's the difference in pots. But I think there may be some kind of difference.

Maybe I can use the extra SIPs to grow Comfrey, and Nettle,
Comfrey and Nettle both get a big part of their benefits from a very long and deep tap root used to mine minerals from deep in the earth, far below what most plants can reach. Growing them in a pot defeats a large part of this benefit. I did grow my nettle in a big pot this year, mostly as an experiment to see how it would do and also to make it easier to harvest the root for teas, but in a pot is not the best way to grow either of them.

Comfrey and Nettle both get a big part of their bendfits from a very long and deep tap root used to mine minerals from deep in the earth, far below what most plants can reach. Growing them in a pot defeats a large part of this benefit. I did grow my nettle in a big pot this year, mostly as an experiment to see how it would do and also to make it easier to harvest the root for teas, but in a pot is not the best way to grow either of them.
Well, on that particular property, I think there are some places where stinging nettle would form its own grove naturally.
One question I would have to look into is whether or not it would spread to the fish pond, and the immersion / bathing pools we hope to construct.
If not, I might not object. We had both nettles and devil's club where I grew up as a kid, and while I don't like devil's club, I have no objection to nettles. And they are super super healthy for the kidneys! So I really would not mind a grove of them.
I know that maybe seems strange, or whatever, but nettles are medicinal for me, so I would like to have a small grove.

Please correct me if this is wrong, but do nettles like shade?
I think there are a few shady areas on that property that they could hypothetically invade, so I will have to investigate better.
I think comfrey likes full sun, and they might spread out on the property, so if I cannot do them in a SIP, then maybe they are not a good idea--unless cows eat them??
I need to research those two plants in depth (but right now I am on deadline).

I love Comfrey (boneset) and want to have some growing in the area, in case anyone ever breaks a bone.
I have seen plenty of properties where there is some comfrey, and I do not object to having comfrey around.
But again, I appreciate your kind caution very much, so again I will have to research the plants, to make sure what microclimates they will take over.

Also, I found horsetails in the valley, and the people plant bamboo. (They use it for everything.)
So, are horsetails and bamboo enough?
(And, will horsetails grow in a SIP???)

I think I might recall maybe that nettles like shade, and there are some shady areas they could hypothetically invade.
I think comfrey likes full sun, and they might spread out on the property.
I grow both of mine in full sun.

I don't think you want me to plant them on someone else's property, so maybe I should skip them??
Nettle quickly becomes invasive and difficult to eradicate, and comfrey is extremely diffucult to eradicate becasue of its long tap root and ability to propagate easily from root cuttings. Plus, if you grow a non-sterile comfrey variety, it will spread from seed as well, quickly becoming a nightmare plant. So yes, I would suggest you not do that to someone else's property.

And the people approve of planting bamboo.
Bamboo is probably the most invasive of all plants. So if they're ok with bamboo maybe the others aren't so bad, relatively speaking? :laughtwo:

So are horsetails and bamboo enough?
Horsetail doesn't have the nutrient profile that comfrey or nettle do, so I would use it as a supplement, not a main fertilizer.

I don't know about bamboo. But that one should work great as a growth hormone input if that's what you want. I wouldn't use it because I don't want a lot of stretch in my plants, but you're growing outdoors so maybe not such a factor for your plants.

(And will horsetails grow in a SIP???)
Horsetail likes wet, marshy conditions so I would think it would grow great in a SIP.

I grow both of mine in full sun.
Ahhh....
Hm.
Ok, I will have to re-research.
:nerd-with-glasses: :nerd-with-glasses: :nerd-with-glasses:
Nettle quickly becomes invasive and difficult to eradicate, and comfrey is extremely diffucult to eradicate becasue of its long tap root and ability to propagate easily from root cuttings. Plus, if you grow a non-sterile comfrey variety, it will spread from seed as well, quickly becoming a nightmare plant. So yes, I would suggest you not do that to someone else's property.
Oy....
Bamboo is probably the most invasive of all plants. So if they're ok with bamboo maybe the others aren't so bad, relatively speaking? :laughtwo:
Hahaha, I think so. They are a very humble, earth-and-agriculture oriented people here, and they have a great love for the land, and for natural medicines. If they know a plant has food, medicinal, or commercial benefits, they are generally all for it.
(Sure, nettle is a pain, but if you know it is medicine....)

My experience with plants is that they like certain microclimates.
I have seen comfrey and nettles in the wild, and in neighborhoods in Chile, and they did not take anything over.
Mint and other things are also is considered invasive, but I like mine. (I wish it would take over the lawn!)
Usually they are good to grow and compete in certain climates, and it kind of depends on which one is tougher.

The whole thing is a different climate. Have you lived in the tropics?
They say about half of the standard US/Canada and Northern European herbs and things will grow here (with no winter).
So in truth, I am not 100% sure either one of them will grow (although I imagine they will).
And there are some pretty invasive plants here too, that grew up in this climate, so I am also not 100% convinced that comfrey and nettles are going to be dominant in this climate.
Plus, there are other challenges. I planted a local species of marigold to ward off insects, and the cutter ants stripped them bare one day in a matter of hours.
I suppose I can write on the gringo forums if anyone has ever grown comfrey or dill here, and are they invasive?
But Colombia is kind of like "survival of the fittest" to begin with. (Pretty raw, by North American standards.) I really don't think they will mind "invasive" plants if they have food, medicinal, or economic value.
Horsetail doesn't have the nutrient profile that comfrey or nettle do, so I would use it as a supplement, not a main fertilizer.
Ahh, ok. Thanks!
I don't know about bamboo. But that one should work great as a growth hormone input if that's what you want. I wouldn't use it because I don't want a lot of stretch in my plants, but you're growing outdoors so maybe not such a factor for your plants.
Ok, great!
Do you have a formula?
Or do I wait for Rezdog to come up with one?
Horsetail likes wet, marshy conditions so I would think it would grow great in a SIP.
:thumb::thumb:

Actually not. The ocean is like a 6 hour drive, and the people usually eat what's local.
But do you mean like, maybe I can find someone on the coast to coast collect a big bucket of kelp, and then send it to me?
Now that I think about it, in Chile they sell dried kelp in stores. So maybe I can ask and we can find it here?
Maybe people in the highlands don't eat it, but I imagine people near the ocean collect and eat it, so there should be some way to get it. Thanks, @StoneOtter !!
:thumb:
I will check and see what I can find...
I remember seeing it on lawns visiting Nova Scotia as a teen. I presume it was there to dry for fertilizer making. You may be onto something there!
Hey @StoneOtter , I hope you feel better! Thanks for your help!

Thanks, nothing unusual. Just ran hard and put away wet. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom