Novice Grower Needing Help - Please

yep and I just saw what you said your soil is. so you have double fertilized with slow release nutes having the stick in.

and yes I still would repot back to a small pot. trust me, you don't want to wait for it to fill that pot. I am talking counting weeks waiting, not days.

oh, and read the bag your soil came in.

good luck

Cannabis prefers well-drained light soil. That flower soil looks almost like pure peat in the picture. I'd add some perlite to it to lighten it.
How were the roots when you up-potted? If they looked good, I'd leave it alone. It will take time, but it will grow into that pot soon enough. The current pot doesn't look all that big to me.

I'd get rid of the fert' stick, too. I have seen excellent grows done with time-released fert's, but not of the stick variety. Osmocote+ matches our crops needs quite well and has all the trace nute's too. It uses a resin to coat the prills. The prills break down slowly based on moisture level and temperature. You can find many successful hempy grows that use it. Still, I prefer to control what and when the plants get the food.

I purchased some 14L pots, and in comparison - the ones they're currently in are quite small. I didn't check the roots when I transplanted them. I used a spoon and went around the pot, then scooped it out. Kept most of the dirt intact. Okay. So basically you're saying to get the best growth/results, I should move back into a smaller pot until more roots have formed? I have some flower clay. Basically clay pebbles that help with water absorption? Same as perlite?

We disagree about moving the plants back down into smaller pots. Personally, I would not. Those pots are not that large and two transplants will be harder on the plants than leaving them alone. The advantage I see to re-potting is you could change your soil mix. I don't know anything about the soil you are using - only going by what I see in your photos. Clay pebbles are not the same as perlite. Perlite is light and made to improve drainage - not absorb water.

When/if you transplant again, do not dig around the plant with a spoon or spade, just knock the entire root ball out in one piece. Use the old pot to measure the hole for the new pot. Drop the plant in, water it in well, and you are done. Do it when the plant is dry. It makes the entire process easier and less stressful on the plant.

With good soil it takes about two weeks for roots to fill a 0.5 liter cup and another two weeks after transplant to fill a 4L pot.

Bottom line: They look fine right now, IMO. I'd leave them alone unless you see something not obvious in the photos. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I used a spoon and went around the pot, then scooped it out. Kept most of the dirt intact.

Not exactly the best way to do it. You risk damaging the roots. A better way would be to turn the plant upside down, gently squeeze the pot couple of times untill the plant slides out. You do that couple of days after watering, it slides out easier when the earth is dry.

I have some flower clay. Basically clay pebbles that help with water absorption? Same as perlite?

Not the same. Use perlite (the white stuff).

Edit: Major PITA beat me to it :)

All the best.

yep now after seeing a different angle of pic I see the pots aren't that big, leave em where they are as major has advised.

it will take awhile but they will fill the pot

Alright. Won't move them back down then. I will be getting Root Juice from BioBizz soon. Once I do, I'll be sure to apply it accordingly.
My soil says pH 5.9
salt 1.5
180mg/l Nitrogen
180mg/l Phosphorus
250mg/l Potassium
100mg/l Magnesium
100mg/l Sulfur

As far as the perlite goes. What's the best way for me to mix it, with my plants already being potted? Thanks again for all the awesome info/help.

Can't. Don't. If you up-pot again, prepare the soil with it first.

I was checking the soil in my pots, because it looked very dry. The smaller of the two was almost falling over. Like it wasn't holding itself up. The very bottom part of the stem looked dry. I moved the dirt around the top a bit and noticed the roots were right there at the top. I covered them up like they were and sprayed a bit of water to moisten the top layer of dirt. Could this be a potential problem?

I was checking the soil in my pots, because it looked very dry. The smaller of the two was almost falling over. Like it wasn't holding itself up. The very bottom part of the stem looked dry. I moved the dirt around the top a bit and noticed the roots were right there at the top. I covered them up like they were and sprayed a bit of water to moisten the top layer of dirt. Could this be a potential problem?

It absolutely could be a problem. Stand back and get ready for my watering rant. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The first thing to realize is, the plants roots are (or should be, since you used a spoon to transplant) larger than the part of the plant you see above ground. The first order of business for the plant is to grow roots. It will send them straight down until it hits an obstacle, then start working them outward. That's why we start in small pots. It lets the plant build roots both down and out quickly.

Normally I do not worry if the top of the soil is dry. The plant would rather be a little dry than a little wet and it has roots way down to the perched water table in the bottom of the container. In your case, the roots are not there yet since it was just moved. The key to building roots and not water logging them is to completely drench the pot. Soak it until you can't get it to hold another drop. This takes time when watering only from the top. I also submerge the pot in a slightly larger container so it can soak for several minutes. This also helps limit the soil compaction found in top watering.

After the pot is thoroughly watered let it drain. Tip it to help it drain more and lower that PWT. No comes the hard part: LEAVE IT ALONE. A seedling jut move to a 1 gallon (4 liter) pot should not need another drink for at least one week, and probably more like two weeks. Compare its weight to the same size pot with just dry soil. It will get light - lighter than you think it should be. Watch the plant. It will tell you when it is thirsty. Once it just begins ti wilt, repeat the above procedure. It will respond in minutes.

It absolutely could be a problem. Stand back and get ready for my watering rant. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The first thing to realize is, the plants roots are (or should be, since you used a spoon to transplant) larger than the part of the plant you see above ground. The first order of business for the plant is to grow roots. It will send them straight down until it hits an obstacle, then start working them outward. That's why we start in small pots. It lets the plant build roots both down and out quickly.

Normally I do not worry if the top of the soil is dry. The plant would rather be a little dry than a little wet and it has roots way down to the perched water table in the bottom of the container. In your case, the roots are not there yet since it was just moved. The key to building roots and not water logging them is to completely drench the pot. Soak it until you can't get it to hold another drop. This takes time when watering only from the top. I also submerge the pot in a slightly larger container so it can soak for several minutes. This also helps limit the soil compaction found in top watering.

After the pot is thoroughly watered let it drain. Tip it to help it drain more and lower that PWT. No comes the hard part: LEAVE IT ALONE. A seedling jut move to a 1 gallon (4 liter) pot should not need another drink for at least one week, and probably more like two weeks. Compare its weight to the same size pot with just dry soil. It will get light - lighter than you think it should be. Watch the plant. It will tell you when it is thirsty. Once it just begins ti wilt, repeat the above procedure. It will respond in minutes.

Awesome stuff. I will try this out. :thanks::thumb::high-five:
Question - I emptied a 1Liter bottle into each pot. It drained out of the bottom. They are sitting on trays where the water is sitting under the pots. Should I drain the water from the trays, or leave it as is? Do I need to use a wick to lower my PWT? I should also mention that I have those clay pebbles at the bottom of each pot, basically a layer at the very bottom of the flower pots.

Here are some pictures I took after watering them.
0111323.jpg
0121188.jpg
0131070.jpg

I would drain it. Your babies have enough water now for a week or so.

...at least.
That soil looks heavy/muddy, like it holds a lot of water. I bet they can go 2 weeks+ without more water. Hopefully the soil has better drainage than it looks. Just keep an eye on them and don't water again until they need it.

Back
Top Bottom