NugSlinger420 Hempy Bucket - 14 - 2L - 2' T5 + CFL - Cabinet

nugslinger420

Ok thanks to everybody here at 420 magazine I've got the knowledge and confidence to start my 1st hydro grow and 2nd grow ever. I chose hempy buckets for the ease of upkeep and the results I've seen in other journals. I have a few questions though. Mainly, what medium to use. Perlite/verm, coco/perlite, just coco, and hydroton? I think I want to go with the coco/perlite mix, all Perlite on the bottom 2 - 2.5" then a 70/30 mix of coco/Perlite to the top. Does this sound about right? Also, how to germ and start the seeds. I want to try the jiffy pucks but I'm not entirely sure how to use them. Do I germ the seeds first in a papertowel or just soak the puck and put the seeds in? I'm most likely going to grow my one pineapple express fem and another same auto. And take clones from the non auto 2 or 3 weeks before I put the lights on 12/12 to flower everything at the same time (the auto will be almost done by this point). My setup is pretty much ready to go, I'm waiting for my t5 to come in and to decide what medium to use. Here's what I'm working with.

IMAG01555.jpg
IMAG01568.jpg

Re: NugSlinger420 Hempy Bucket(14,2L) 2' T5 + CFL in a Cabinet

Ok thanks to everybody here at 420 magazine I've got the knowledge and confidence to start my 1st hydro grow and 2nd grow ever. I chose hempy buckets for the ease of upkeep and the results I've seen in other journals. I have a few questions though. Mainly, what medium to use. Perlite/verm, coco/perlite, just coco, and hydroton? I think I want to go with the coco/perlite mix, all Perlite on the bottom 2 - 2.5" then a 70/30 mix of coco/Perlite to the top. Does this sound about right? Also, how to germ and start the seeds. I want to try the jiffy pucks but I'm not entirely sure how to use them. Do I germ the seeds first in a papertowel or just soak the puck and put the seeds in? I'm most likely going to grow my one pineapple express fem and another same auto. And take clones from the non auto 2 or 3 weeks before I put the lights on 12/12 to flower everything at the same time (the auto will be almost done by this point). My setup is pretty much ready to go, I'm waiting for my t5 to come in and to decide what medium to use. Here's what I'm working with.

I think anyone of your choices of medium would work just fine. I am just starting a hempy grow again. I took a keg cup filled it with 75/25 perlite/vermeculite. I took a jiffy peat pellet soaked it them removed it from the little netting and spread that on top of the per/verm mixture.

I drop a seed in a shot glass of water for 12 to 24 hours then into the keg cup cover with a little of the peat to keep it dark and a couple days later they pop up.

This is what has worked for me. :peace:

:goodluck:

Re: NugSlinger420 Hempy Bucket(14,2L) 2' T5 + CFL in a Cabinet

Thanks for the step by step of what you do on your hempys, greatly appreciated. im leaning towards the coco and perlite mix and starting them in jiffys. I've read some journals and people say that all perlite works but the roots can become weak because they dont have anything to keep their ground. i cant wait to get my t5!!

ok so im about to head out to the hydro shop, i have been busy with work, my other plant, and settling in to a new place. I'm going to get coco and perlite and do a 70/30 mix of coco/perlite for the top and straight perlite for the bottom of my hempys. I sorted out ventilation for now and i am still considering buying a 4" centrifugal fan and filter. I used a 4 in pvc 90* angle and a 5" grate that im gonna saw a 4" hole in to connect a computer fan to. i got the instructions of a post on this site but i didnt save the link unfortunately :( it was very helpful. more pictures tonight or tomorrow depending on when i get around to it.

Add nutes from the get go, 1/4 tsp per gal right before the seeds go in. Btw I'm growing 2 freebies from Paradise seeds, Nebula and Wappa, does anybody have experience smoking/growing either of the strains? I just bought a 4" inline fan/filter combo and FF tri bloom pack. They will be here in 6-10 days which is when this journal is officially starts. The seeds got put into a moist paper towel w/ kelp solution(1/4 cap per gal) earlier today. They should show a taproot soon and sprout by the time my goodies get here.
Salty-i may invest in an hps or I will get 2700k bulbs for the t5

My inline fan came in today, that was incredibly fast. It came in 1 day with free shipping. The seeds are germinating, i can already see the taproot starting to crack the seed and show through. It will be starting a few days sooner than expected but that is fine with me! All I have to do now is drill the hole on the side of the cabinet to fit the filter. I want the fan sucking air through the filter right?(i.e. filter before the fan) Or do i want it pushing air through(i.e. fan before filter)?:party:

My inline fan came in today, that was incredibly fast. It came in 1 day with free shipping. The seeds are germinating, i can already see the taproot starting to crack the seed and show through. It will be starting a few days sooner than expected but that is fine with me! All I have to do now is drill the hole on the side of the cabinet to fit the filter. I want the fan sucking air through the filter right?(i.e. filter before the fan) Or do i want it pushing air through(i.e. fan before filter)?:party:

Definitely suck air into the filter, don't blow it out.
In large part the idea is to scrub exhaust to prevent odor.
- Also, I'm subscribing. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

Definitely suck air into the filter, don't blow it out.
In large part the idea is to scrub exhaust to prevent odor.
- Also, I'm subscribing. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

That's what made sense to me, but I've never used one so I had to ask.:thanks: I'm also going to need a fan controller, i turned the fan on and it seems like way more than what i'm going to need. 230 CFM, and it's pretty loud without the carbon filter attached to it. I haven't tried attaching the carbon filter yet but I'm sure it would help with the sound of the air. OH, i almost forgot, has anyone ever heard of the brand "earth worth" i couldn't find a lot online.

Most of the time you want to pull through the filter. However if you do not have room for the filter inside the grow room/box then you can push through the filter. It is not as efficient to push through the filter but can be done effectively.

There's definitely NOT any room inside the grow for the filter, so think I probably am going to have to go with the less efficient method. I will try both ways though and see what works best for ventilation and scrubbing ability.

Ok guys sorry for the delay in updates but my 2 plants have sprouted and are just showing the tips of the 2nd leaf set. I have watered each day with grow big and water. Ph 6.5 ppm 350(h2o ppm = 150). I'm not going to bother with ph'ing until there is a few set of leaves(unless plants tell me sooner). They look good and aren't stretching at all, the light is about 2" from the tops. Not sure on temp but I can hold the t5 bulbs and it is only warm so its probably fine. I will be getting a good digital hygrometer/thermometer with a hi/lo display, a fan controller, and 2700k bulbs for the t5. Pictures later/tomorrow.

good luck buddy

Thank you, hopefully I won't need too much. Today I fed with 1 gal water with 1 Tbs FF big bloom, 1 tsp FF big bloom, 1 Tbs molasses, 1 "capful" maxicrop seaweed, and lemon juice to ph. Ph 5.85 Ppm 710. There wasn't any run off today after using the whole gallon, i don't have any more dechlorinated water on hand so i'm going to have to wait til tomorrow and water more with the same ratio but probably half the water. I have been lazy to update the journal but everything is going well, I've been feeding every other day. Should i do any watering with ph'd plain water?

Back
Top Bottom