Obi's Northern Light Autoflower - Indoor T5 - Soilless Mix - 2014

Ah man! I was down to bubblicious and Aurora! I chose bubble. Did you see the PPP strain? Mine arrived same day BTW

BB_618_013.jpg

Sorry for not having time to post to this journal much lately. Life and work have been crazy busy. I'm taking some vacation time next week so I've been working double time to make sure things go smoothly while I'm gone.

Thank you scottish, danknessdude, shadowman and all for following along and the encouragement!

/Obi Wan

Journal Entry 06/26/2014
Total Days: 89 (12 weeks)
Flowering Days: 57 (8 weeks)

Mary met her destiny.

A day or two after I took the beer photo her main cola collapsed under it's own weight. It folded over at a 90 degree angle at about half way down from the top. :/ I simply left it alone. It was so close to harvest that it wasn't worth the effort to prop it up. I made sure it was stable and let nature take it's course. Nothing seemed to come of it. At harvest the stem was still alive at the bend. Just sort of LST'd.

This harvest and trim took much longer than Page's. Mary's plant structure was much more compact and dense which made it more work to trim precisely. Additionally, there was a lot more bud to harvest! To be fair, I did do a fair amount of sampling from Page pre-harvest :)

Page vs Mary

Mary's flower structure presented a lot of fox tailing. It was neat to look at but I'm not sure how it affects the end quality. This is for personal use so bag appeal is not a high priority but I am still looking forward to seeing how she looks after she dries out. The flowers are very dense, thick and heavy. Much more so than Page's flowers that, when dried, felt like air.

I haven't sampled any of Mary's flowers yet. While I could vape the moisture out, it's not that fun to do and doesn't taste all that great. Besides, I got the nagging curiosity out of my system sampling Page :). Mary's trichs looked ready. She's more cloudy and more amber than Page was so I'm hoping for a little more potency and body effect.

/Obi Wan

I still have 6 plants to go. Well, 5 1/2. Marge, the solo cup adventure, is practically too small to count...

I have only been giving them pH'd water lately. I'd have to go back and look at the journal entries but I think they've been flushing for about 7-10 days now. The remainder of the plants I hope to see finish over the next 2 weeks or so. The remaining may have started the flush a little early but I was torn between feeding one more time and hoping for time to flush vs starting the flush and seeing if they wind up deficient and stressed at the end.

/Obi Wan

Wow that cola is amazing makes my mouth water just looking at it I want one of those do you know the weight? Size of a beer bottle is just stunning congrats Mate hope she smokes as good as she looks :roorrip: +rep

Alright. A quick journal note: After drying and removing stems Mary produced about 35g/1.25oz and was subsequently jarred on 2014/07/01.

I would be willing to bet I have lost at least 7g/.25oz per plant, probably a lot more, due to my own mistakes. I feel the auto-flowering trait is a double edged sword. On one side you have the advantage of a speedy harvest but on the other side each mistake you make, especially during the vegetative stage, may significantly decrease the final harvest weight.

/Obi Wan
:peace:

Hi MaggiesFarm. Thank for the rep, comments and questions!

I'm working on the final few posts right now and will try to make a TLDR summary that myself as well as others might reference. Off the top of my head, a few things I would consider changing should I do a similar grow in the future:

• Increase the Perlite/Pro-Mix ratio for better drainage. Perhaps mixing the two at 50/50.
    I was only able to water/feed once per week for most of the grow. I feel the time to dry out was too long.​
  • Add a week nute solution a little sooner. Additionally, ramp up the nute strength a little faster.
    I don't think I quite had a deficiency early on but I do think I could have benefited from additional nutes sooner.​
  • Try not to let the plants dry out quite as much.
    Partially due to concerns about root health and the length of time it took to deplete their soil moisture, I think I waited too long between feedings/waterings and let my containers dry out more than I should have. I probably could have fed/watered a day earlier on most occasions.​
  • Understand/learn how to better control pH in a given growing medium.
    By the time the flowering stage hit I was beginning to fight pH problems including nutrient lockout that I feel I never fully understood or solved.​
  • Temperature, humidity and ventilation control improvements.
    I think I held steady at the upper end of heat and the lower end of humidity thresholds for this grow. My issue is that I'm currently maxed out on cooling potential. I need to make some improvements so that I have a little wriggle room if temps deviate from their current state.​

That's a few things I can come up with on the fly. I'll have to sample some different nugs from the harvest and think on it some more :)

/Obi Wan
:thumb:

Adding Perlite is big on my list, especially since I'm going to do this auto grow outdoors. We had a big rain on Sunday. Runoff pH in both pots is off but the soil is still waterlogged and I'm scared to flush to get the pH back where it needs to be.

Good job on the grow! It's great when we can share the good and the bad and everyone learns something. :goodjob:

Maggiesfarm, do you tip your pots on an angle for a min or 2 to lower the PWT? (perched water table- goo gull perched water table in pots)
Or use a wick in the pots..

I have not tried either. I'm using air pots and they don't seem to retain a lot of water under normal circumstances. I am going to flush tomorrow and I will try tipping the pots.

Well, July has been a busy month. Wait. Evidently it's August already...
Here is a pic of the harvest from a few weeks ago:

Some estimated stats

Name
Grams
Notes
Vape FlavorPotency
Page
20Finished a little early.Neutral Earthy4/10
Mary
36Nice fruity smell. Foxtailed.Neutral3/10
Sophi
29Most potent of the bunch.Neutral. Pine, Floral5/10
Jane
50Neutral3/10
Ella
29Neutral Earthy4/10
Rita
34Neutral, Earthy, Floral4/10
Nan
24Neutral Earthy4/10
Marge
8Tiny but fun.Neutral Earthy4/10
Gladis
DNFGrew to 2in and stopped.----
Becky
DNFBurned up on entry.----

/Obi

Awesome man. Where did ya get those jars? How much were they? I need some I store mine in plastic nestle quick containers heh

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here:
Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Smokerjoe I have little glass jars in a range of sizes from babyfood as they go in stages the jars get progressively bigger with color coded lids if you know anyone with a baby ask them if they have any :roorrip:

Awesome man. Where did ya get those jars? How much were they? I need some I store mine in plastic nestle quick containers heh

Hi SmokerJoe,

They are common Ball canning/food storage jars. Well, common to my area anyway. I recently picked them up at the local hardware store. If I recall the cost was a little over $1 per jar. They came in a 6 or 12 pack.

Cheers,
/Obi
:peace:

Back
Top Bottom