OTM's DIY Bubble Cloning & Sprouting 40 Year Old Seeds & Current RDWC Harvest

Let's hope for at least one male :)

9-11 Old bean popping update;

It has been 24 hrs since I started soaking the beans, this morning, approx. after 12 hrs, 5 out of six were at the bottom of the cup. Tonight all are at the bottom with 4 out of 6 cracked open (hard to see but it is the 4 in the middle)

9-11_001.JPG

They are now in a wet paper towel with the temps around 80 degrees, tomorrow morning I will help them open up if needed...with any luck tomorrow evening I can start putting a couple in rooters in the germination station!:slide: :thanks:

Awesome to hear the bean popping progress! I'm going to pick up my old seeds this week hopefully. Your posts have given me hope for my old strains!

Awesome to hear the bean popping progress! I'm going to pick up my old seeds this week hopefully. Your posts have given me hope for my old strains!

I wish you luck DrDoob, I wish there was a easier way but so far my best luck has been scuffing them in a sandpaper tube, letting the set in a H2O2 bath for an hour while plunking the down every 15 minutes, and then using the GA3 at a rate of 500 PPM in distilled water with temps at the 80 degree mark from soak to sprout.

Pick a couple random seeds and split them in half...that will tell you what you chances are before going through the process...they should look like a off white kind of paste texture in the middle.:goodluck:

9-11 Old bean popping update;

It has been 24 hrs since I started soaking the beans, this morning, approx. after 12 hrs, 5 out of six were at the bottom of the cup. Tonight all are at the bottom with 4 out of 6 cracked open (hard to see but it is the 4 in the middle)

9-11_001.JPG

They are now in a wet paper towel with the temps around 80 degrees, tomorrow morning I will help them open up if needed...with any luck tomorrow evening I can start putting a couple in rooters in the germination station!:slide: :thanks:

This is going to happen. Just trust your seeds.

Cant wait for them to pop.

Hi. I see you brought good news!

Even if you only get males, you can change their sex with ethylene (Ethrel, Ethephon) or simply with ripening fruit such as bananas covered by a transparent plastic bag as a bell.

As males have the two sex chromosomes X and Y (XY), the seeds you will get from a males will show the two sexes. Unlike femenized seeds made with females that only carry two X (XX) sexual chromosomes, that only yield female seeds, and some intersexuals too HAHAHAHAHA

But the best way it to make seeds normally with males and females.

Best regards and good luck. I would like to see more people bringing back to life old school landrace sativas. Specially defunct long gone Mexican heirlooms.

Can't wait to see what comes from those cracked seeds! It would be great to get a male to go with Haley, but you might have to change her name to Eve!

I wonder who makes the ideal Purple Kush if not CKS? Not to slag a sponsor but the knock on CKS seems to be consistency. PK is a strain I'll grow at some point so I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Congrats on the huge 420-1 harvest! The first part of your return to the fold is coming to a pretty fine end. Any plans to branch out the genetics for future grows? Or will you grow clones for a while alongside your old bean attempts? I kind of want to do a "classics" grow at some point - maybe some combo of WW, Blueberry, and Jack Herer.

9-12 Old Bean Popping Update;

We have some taps showing up on 3 out of the six so far as of this evening, normally I would attempt to do some open seed surgery on them, but I think I will give them another 12 hrs in the towel and not try to rush them...they seem happy at the 80 degree temps in the wet towel.

9-12_001.JPG

I am thinking in the morning two out of the three will find a new home in the germination station while the others get a little help and stay on the towel a bit more.

The 500 PPM's of GA3 mixture seem to be the best results so far!:wood:

:thanks:

Hi. I see you brought good news!

Even if you only get males, you can change their sex with ethylene (Ethrel, Ethephon) or simply with ripening fruit such as bananas covered by a transparent plastic bag as a bell.

As males have the two sex chromosomes X and Y (XY), the seeds you will get from a males will show the two sexes. Unlike femenized seeds made with females that only carry two X (XX) sexual chromosomes, that only yield female seeds, and some intersexuals too HAHAHAHAHA

But the best way it to make seeds normally with males and females.

Best regards and good luck. I would like to see more people bringing back to life old school landrace sativas. Specially defunct long gone Mexican heirlooms.

If only the 3 showing taps + the one I have from 6 weeks ago all grow, that helps my odds considerably, when I was growing outdoors back in the 70's my male to female rate was around 30-40% with bag seeds...I would be really pissed if all turn out males, but will save the pollen as best as I can for the eventual female.

Can't wait to see what comes from those cracked seeds! It would be great to get a male to go with Haley, but you might have to change her name to Eve!

I wonder who makes the ideal Purple Kush if not CKS? Not to slag a sponsor but the knock on CKS seems to be consistency. PK is a strain I'll grow at some point so I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Congrats on the huge 420-1 harvest! The first part of your return to the fold is coming to a pretty fine end. Any plans to branch out the genetics for future grows? Or will you grow clones for a while alongside your old bean attempts? I kind of want to do a "classics" grow at some point - maybe some combo of WW, Blueberry, and Jack Herer.

Thanks Dobe, I was surprised on the yield of the PK coco gal, the Widow gal in coco should to as much or more, she has some really hard dense nugs...we will probably find out this weekend!

My clones will finish out in coco while I redesign my flower room and RDWC, but I do plan on trying out some other new strains...not sure which yet, but having fun looking at what is available out there.

I have no problems with CKS, easy to deal with and fast stealthy shipping, & 100% germination but the consistency of the pheno's is what is lacking, 6 beans, 6 different phenos with problems on one of each strain in a RDWC. If it was my system, the results should have been consistent. The good news is the 4 clones that are left are from both the coco gals!:popcorn:

Well, I always had a "green thumb"...My mother and grandfather always grew massive veg and flower gardens...I was the cultivator and weed picker!:rofl:

Sounds like a great childhood! I teached myself a little. Once grown outside. 5 plants 2.10meter high and 4.5 meter wide.. but before flowering they were taken by police :'(

Now one outside and thee inside.. nothing to big just for my medicine. feel free to drop by in my journal, as a kinda new grower(1st indoor grow) i can use all the eyes ..

Big 9-13 Flower, Veg, and Old Bean Popping Update;

It was a full day here, the morning started out with putting old beans in rooters, the taps really popped in the last 12 hours and 4 beans are now in a new home along with the remaining 2 beans still in their paper towel with a little shell surgery to open them up.

9-13_004.JPG

9-13_028.JPG

The temperature in the germination station will be kept at 75-80 degrees with plenty of misting to keep them moist. The last successful sprouting of Hayley took 3 days for it to "peek"...look for some more MIB Gif's in the future!:laughtwo:

My veg tent is now my flower tent with the White Widow gal in coco spending her remaining days with the old Maui beans...maybe she can pass on some life experience to them.

9-13_010.JPG

9-13_011.JPG

9-13_020.JPG

9-13_023.JPG

The clones are now in 5 gal smart pots with Coco Coir, if anyone wants to grow 5 plants in coco in 5 gal pots, you will need a 11 lb brick of coco and 2-8 quart bags of perlite, also a big tub that holds at least 35 gallons, a kiddy pool would be ideal. I used 8 gallons of RO water ph'd to 6.0 to expand the brick, and once it was expanded, I used another 20 gallons of the same water to "flush" it...after it was drained, I mixed in the perlite and laid out some heavy black plastic spreading it out to dry. Its a lot of work but the savings over buying the 2 gallon bags really adds up, so plan a couple days ahead to get it prepped.

9-13_007.JPG

Hayley is under the big lights with the clones, it is still in the small pot because my 10 gal smart pot is not here yet, but by next week it will be in its final home, it will veg with the clones for a couple weeks until they switch to flower and then it will go into the veg tent to grow with the new beans...I will call it the Maui Tent...:;):

9-13_008.JPG

9-13_009.JPG

I am really impressed on how well Hayley has grown, in the last week it has really bulked out with nice fans and a pencil size stalk, the nodes continue to stack and the growth at the nodes is building out, this is a lot like how my plants grew outdoors, the size would put it in late May, and the beginning of flower start in mid July in natural light.

It is a foot tall right now, and outdoors when flower started, they would be between 3-4 ft tall so hopefully I can see the sex of the plant soon so I can plan accordingly for the new sprouts. Back then, a tall fast growing plant was usually a male, they did not have a lot of fill between nodes, this one has quite a bit of fill, but with a indoor grow, I am not sure if the rule applies!

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom