Patient's 2020

Ya know, at my old site I could just post whatever and there wasn't anyone there. Thanks @BeanTownFan420 I am actually looking forward to this putrid adventure. I would also like to note, while contemplating the drastic disparities between the Mango and the "new" BcMBw strain (self made), I realized I am not growing for the "show". I am growing for effects. The Mango has unrealistic 2' colas in a couple places. I mean...the wife said "DAMN!" (she don't smoke). I looked at the BcMBw (blucheez/mango+bluewater) and saw the buds lacking in stack and girth and felt defeated. I want those trichomes and NOT a bud to show y'all. Well...The Mango fills that bill. Wait for a few more weeks while the Mango thickens up. She will be stoopid! So I am shifting to an extract stand point. RSO is what the wife has made before (she doesn't smoke or use period...) and is what I will use that monster for. I see it can be used as a stand alone dose or implemented in to gummy recipes. Coco Oil (currently use daily) and various edible recipes. Win win.

Yes...It will stink to high Heaven. I assume it will smell like regular fish emulsion. Holes drilled with mesh screen to keep flies out...and gases escaping. I don't mind it but the wife and kids hate it.

Actually the wife tolerates it. She has harvested some great San Marzono tomatoes this year. The plant is sprouted above a possum our dogs killed and I had to bury. I told her it's the Kelloggs All Purpose. Fish kelp molasses. All great stuff. I can't tell. Could be possum spaghetti we are eating. It stinks when I fertilize with Kelloggs for the garden and random cannabis plants. This bucket will smell all year long. The wife sent me the link. I been a good boy lately fixing the motor home, sewer line, deck and roof next. ;)

Maaan PP, your garden is siiiiiiick. Call me the hulk I’m that fucking green with envy. Seriously centerfold stuff.

I’ve got some questions about your fish emulsion process.

1. Am I reading correctly that you add half the bucket full of compost and then fill (basically) the bucket with water?
2. My understanding is that you are making a fish leachate, what do you think about aerating the liquid after it’s brewed? What about aerating the liquid the entire month?

thank you for coming to:420: your journal is already incredible enlightening and your plants are some of the best I’ve ever seen. That bit about molasses as an organic chelator blew my mind

@ChefDGreen I have done teas. They rock. Bacteria? I have an aquarium pump I have brewed teas in a 5 gal drum with. I got a 55 gal drum (food grade) for future use as a tea regimen and that will get a bigger pump, but nothing big enough to aerate this sludge. It's been a busy year. I am aware of aerating a concoction as tea, but this recipe has no aeration recommended. Odd. Anaerobic? Potentially. Are anaerobic teas bad? Let me get back after a quick search. I would initially say yes. So there is hesitation and concern. There is no real investment lost if this bombs. I have enough seeds. ;)

@ChefDGreen
This excerpt is from NorthCountyBounty (.whatevah) it describes that anerarobic is just as beneficial as aerobic (i am just now learning this "IF ITS REAL")
How to Brew Anaerobic Teas
How to Brew Anaerobic Teas
Welcome back! Today we’re leaving behind the vibrating air pumps and stashing away our air stones because this post will be all about how to steep microorganisms anaerobically!

Although aerobic teas produce a denser number of beneficial microbes than any other method of brewing teas, today we’ll be looking at alternatives to these Aerated Compost Teas—anaerobic ones.

Like any tea, you can smell the benefits from brewing microbiology for your medical marijuana garden. Benefits such as:

preventing and treating diseases such as the dreaded POWDERY MILDEW, Fusarium, pythium, etc
100% natural
100% safe
maintains plant health
enhances flavors of fruits
impossible to nute-burn
The quality of the compost helps determine the quality of the tea; the key lies in beginning with lots of diversity. Let’s take a look at some numbers to get an idea for a hearty tea’s potential.

There are:

75,000+ species of bacteria
15,000+ species of fungi
8,000 species of protozoa—flagellates, amoeba, ciliates
Beneficial microbes have been identified to support health in plants and are said to help produce richer flavors in fruits. The majority of microbes need oxygen to propagate though, hence why Aerated Compost Teas are able to foster the multiplication of more types of microbes with the constant influx of oxygen. Conversely, anaerobic teas only help the replication of certain, fewer types of beneficial microbes.

brewing tea

Microbes extracted under anaerobic conditions effectively decompose organic matter, providing readily available “plant-friendly” nutrients for your plants.

(Are you wondering what form of Nitrogen (NH4+ or NO3-) cannabis plants prefer? Check out my past Bounty Blog post, An Introduction to the Microbe Army.)

Be extremely cautious when brewing anaerobic teas, you can easily feed your plants a platter of toxins instead. Remember, you are brewing anaerobic microbes not anaerobic pathogens! It’s easy to brew the latter since the majority of anaerobic pathogens do not need aerobic conditions to multiply—in fact the less oxygen the better, most only breed in less than 3 ppm of dissolved oxygen. In order for ANY microbes to exponentially multiply the minimum dissolved oxygen content in the water has to be greater than 6 ppm (6 milligrams per liter).

So in other words, you’re going to need to add some oxygen to your anaerobic tea, wisely of course, but you will have to introduce the minimum amount oxygen into your brew for the microbes to successfully multiply.

If you’re brewing in the everyday 5 gal Home Depot bucket, chances are you’ll end up brewing anaerobic pathogens since the surface area of the bucket fails to provide sufficient air to the microbes at the very bottom of the bucket.

So how do you add just a little bit of oxygen?

There is no set protocol, but being considerate of the microorganisms and the fact that they need to be unperturbed to do their thing, I’d say commit to a gentle manual stir every so often.

I would recommend either frequent shorter stirs, hourly stirs lasting less than a minute, or more spaced intervals of 3-4 hours for a bit longer stirs, 1-2 minutes. Again, stirring should be gentle with minimum agitation as to not harm the microbes– many growers actually take this time to bond with their teas.

Let’s look at a few anaerobic teas!

Brewing Non-Aerated (Anerobic) Compost Tea
From personal experience this method of making anaerobic tea is synonymous with Home Depot’s 5 gal bucket and identical to brewing AACT except there are no bubbles. Here compost is added to water alongside food (carbohydrates/ sugars) for the microbes and occasionally stirred, as described early, and left to steep for 24-48 hours.

brewing tea 2

You can control whether you want a bacteria (veg teas) or more fungal (bloom teas) dominant tea based on ingredients:

-mixing the compost with proteins such as soybean, powdered malt, oatmeal, oat bran, or powdered baby oatmeal several days before brewing tea gives fungi a head start (good for Bloom teas) since bacteria multiply a lot faster than fungi take to grow– 3-4 tablespoons/cup of compost

-Fish emulsion, kelp, humic and fulvic acids, phosphate rock dusts, pulps of fruits, aloe extract and fish hydrolysate also encourage fungal growth

Plant Tea (fermented)
No compost needed here, just chop some plants (male cannabis plants for example if you are not a breeder) and soak in water. Usually 24-48 hours to allow proper fermentation to happen. This extracts any microorganisms living on the surface of the plant.

Manure Tea
Place poop (bat guano for example) in permeable bag, 400 microns or bigger, and steep in water in a bucket or barrel for 24-48 hours.

Dominated by bacteria and ciliates, this tea will contain soluble nutrients readily available for uptake by your medical marijuana plant.

Kashi Run-Off
You can also use your Kashi run-off. This will consists primarily of soluble nutrients but very little microbes. Therefore, this runoff better serves as food substrate for the microbes in your soil. Need a reminder on Kashi composting? Check out my past Bounty Blog interview with a probiotic cannabis cultivator.

brewing tea3

Yes, anaerobic teas are NOT as diverse as aerated ones, but the benefits remain the same: healthier, tastier girls ridden of diseases. Remember, when extracting beneficial microbes anaerobically be careful not to brew anaerobic pathogens instead. Incorporate a gentle manual stir to oxygenate your tea periodically. Thanks for reading and again hope this has helped! Now go out there and bond with a tea! (couldn't find author name)

,,,so it would seem that for anaerobic to break down organic matter, it needs the minimum ppm of oxygen @ 6ppm, which is probably constituted by stirring once every 2 days (as recommended).

@ChefDGreen I am humbled by your compliments. I have read and studied and learned this herb and what it likes and how I should tend to it. I am blessed by an everloving God that is a great Shepherd for me. I hit a great pheno this year in the Mango. Well, all my friends hit the same when running these Mango seeds. I was just lagging on a real true grow for myself. I am only 5-6 yrs in to this and crafting my super soil and crossing strains at hand and nothing more. Harley-Tsu is a clone as well as the AC/DC. The Mango I have inbred to get what I have. At this point I am not sure if it's even a real Mango. I have more strains I will grow as long as I am able to. Thank you very much for your kind words. Bless you.

Yes PP, all of these anaerobic recipes are just lechates. That is, soup made with nutrients and not necessarily too many microbes. Which is exactly the same process of the fish emulsion except you’re taking it to an extreme with a month long extraction. By sitting the stuff in water, you’re putting a lot of things into solution that the plant will be able to directly absorb. If you want to add microbial action to your soil, you’ll need to aerate it.

That said, aeration is far less important for you as an outdoor/in-ground gardener. You’ve got massive herds of microbes living outdoors in the soil naturally, so basically you’re all set on microscopic life. (Unless you’re targeting certain colonies for a particular cultivar/stage of growth)

but for us indoor guys, keeping that microherd fed and energized is the name of the game. I very well may give that fish extract a try, but I’ll probably make just a 2 gallon batch or so. I would most likely cut It with an equal amount fresh water, add EWC, kelp, and guano then bubble it for 48-72 hours... I haven’t done very many teas, so I wouldn’t be able to tell you if the fish extract had an impact. I’ll have to play around with teas more

Your ROCKIN it P!! I tried megacrop a couple grows ago. The simplicity of it is amazing. :thumb:

You mentioned the other site, how you would post all week, and maybe get one visitor. I get where you were committed to the foundation of all that hard work your putting in, but it’s sure nice to have people read it and appreciate the hard you put in. It sure is great to see you over here!!

have you been able to reach out to some old guy, Or graygrower since the site crashed?

Gray grower may or may not seek to find a new site. His posts had started to be fewer. He was still rocking the perpetual grow, just not posting as much. Someoldguy always had a 2nd account at GrassCity. I tried that site 1st, but it kept freezing on me. So i ditched that effort and racked my brain to try and remember where you ended up at. Once i got here, you weren't anywhere to be found and i chalked it up to you were somewhere else. Given i needed a site to keep my journals and my account was established and the site wasn't freezing on me, i decided to stay. RedR was another great guy i have lost touch with. We had correspondence through the postal service but i did not save his address. I keep checking the site from time to time to see if it is going again. Meh...turn the page. (Sad)

20200921_103613.jpg
Here we go. 20200921_103729.jpg and the compost i get from a local nursery. Combining and will commence to periodic stirs, pursuant to the method described in the aforementioned thread regarding brewing your own fish emulsion. Chef mentions its a Leachate. I believe it. Will it work? Will it go anaerobic?

20200921_110037.jpg This junk is something else. It definitely brought everyone of our cats to the bucket. Dogs are pretty partial as well. I on the other hand, am 20200921_110037.jpg trying to weigh saving cash and never touching this stuff again!

Back
Top Bottom