Quest for mold-resistant strains, Hawaii outdoor greenhouse grow

I looked at HSC's page on the pancakes... up to 30% THC!... I may need to try growin' it! Blueberry Pancakes = PPD x Slurricane. I can't find the terpene profile, but found that total terpenes are a whopping 5.6%. Maybe time to ask HSC straight up about the terpenes. Slurricane is Do-Si-Dos x Purple Punch, and appears to be limonene dominant, and also contains caryophyllene. Here' the lineage of Slurricane.

Here's an article about Blueberry Pancakes from Ben Lind of HSC:

HSC has their own seed selling website now, California Hemp Seeds. Good thing... I was having a hard time finding a seller with Blueberry Pancakes in stock.
I know right 30 lol like 30!!!! Some up to 34 wtf lol

slurricane always took a fancy to me and I never got the seeds from the breeder as stock run out fast lol so thisbis mint and cali
havealook at Mary’s seeds co uk they ship USA and stock most otherwise the vault if they ship or pure sativa for other breeders that are mad like perfect tree

My friend and I just did a rosin press test with my dried CBD and CBG buds. We used 14g of each. I think the temperature was set at about 165°F. After pressing the CBD we put the rosin in the the freezer for a few minutes, to harden it up. We got about half a gram of CBD rosin. The CBG buds did a funny thing... we got a little rosin, but it wouldn't harden up in the freezer. There was so little of it, I could barely scrape any off the paper. I tasted a tiny amount of it, which had a stinging effect on my tongue that lasted about 15 min. Strange stuff. Does anyone know why THC & CBD rosin stiffen up when cooled down, whereas CBG rosin no so much? I'm guessing it's related to the cannabinoid and terpene content.

CBD rosin. Mostly CBDA, a little THCA.
CBD_rosin.jpg

Does anyone know why THC & CBD rosin stiffen up when cooled down, whereas CBG rosin no so much? I'm guessing it's related to the cannabinoid and terpene content.
Don't know about that, but I do know that cbg is more often dosed similar to thc while the cbd is often much higher, like 10x. Unless you're doing cbd-a which is much more easily and better absorbed by the body and has many of the same effects although much stronger so you can dose much lower.

I looked at HSC's page on the pancakes... up to 30% THC!... I may need to try growin' it! Blueberry Pancakes = PPD x Slurricane. I can't find the terpene profile, but found that total terpenes are a whopping 5.6%. Maybe time to ask HSC straight up about the terpenes. Slurricane is Do-Si-Dos x Purple Punch, and appears to be limonene dominant, and also contains caryophyllene. Here' the lineage of Slurricane.
Just thought I'd mention that I grew HSC's Vanilla Frosting, a Gelato cross, in 2022. I had 3 big plants in 15 gal fabric pots, and they were truly amazing... very vigorous, and heavily foliated with big, deep-green leaves. Unfortunately, they were hit hard with bud rot. Primary terpenes: pinene, caryophyllene, limonene, myrcene. With better care and feeding, maybe they would have done better.

Vanilla Frosting, summer 2022
1696373504470.png

Thanks, cbd. I'm hearing the same thing about cbg, cbd, and their acidic versions. It's no wonder big pharma is doing everything they can to keep this plant restricted. At least until they have patented everything they can then we'll all be amazed at what "science " has discovered. 🙄

Yes, they are very afraid of safe and effective cannabis, with its multitude of medicinal uses. Jah medicine for Jah people! The corruption of Babylon pharma is now exposed more than ever – that's a good thing. There's also an inexpensive drug called Fenbendazole that's emerging as a "miracle drug" for cancer. It's another anti-parasitic, like Ivermectin, which by the way may also be useful against cancer. Strange that anti-parasitic substances are becoming associated with curing cancer. Some are saying that cancer needs to be viewed more as a parasite. Fascinating developments.

More and more, I feel that cannabinoids are like vitamins.

RE: Fenbendazole

Known as the Joe Tippens protocol...

• Tocotrienol and Tocopherol forms (all 8) of Vitamin E (400-800mg per day, 7 days a week). A product called Gamma E by Life Extension or Perfect E are both great.
  • Bio-Available Curcumin (600mg per day, 2 pills per day 7 days a week). A product called Theracurmin HP by Integrative Therapeutics is bioavailable.
  • CBD oil (1-2 droppers full [equal to 25mg per day] under the tongue, 7 days a week)... [ link omitted ]
  • Fenbendazole
    The above three items every day (7 days per week) and the Fenbendazole (300 MILLIGRAMS PER DAY FOR 3 CONSECUTIVE DAYS) per week. Take 4 days off and repeat each week.

[ source ]
I think also... berberine + Quercetin.

In the flower house just now...

White Widow from seed, 6 ft 7 in tall in a 7 gal pot. This may be the healthiest plant I've ever grown. So far barely effected by leaf spot. Black area to the left on the deck tangled in black window screen is Chunky Boy. I wanted him in the shot... this was his solution.
white_widow1.jpg

Chunky Boy. He was chillin' on the deck when I arrived.
chunky_boy1.jpg

WW_flower1.jpg

WW_flower2.jpg

:ciao:

Greetings Growmies,

Here's an update, pics taken just now...

In the veg house, six plants... clockwise from lower left: DBL CBG clone in 7 gal, Seedsman 30:1 CBD clone in 7 gal, Seedsman Blueberry clone in 7 gal, Humboldt Dream clone in 7 gal, HI-BISCUS clone in 15 gal, legacy CBG clone mom in 3 gal. All doing well; however I'm strangely starting to feel like 15 gal is too big for my growing style. Perhaps 8 or 10 gal would be optimum.
veg_house1.jpg

In the flower house. Left is White Widow seedling doing great in 7 gal, day 25 in flower. Right is Grape Ape clone in 15 gal fabric. The Grape Ape was topped in veg, and seems to be suffering from some kinda moderate perma-droop and a touch of leaf clawing – I'm generally not impressed with this pheno, and the effects are meh as well... this may be her last hurrah.
flower_house1.jpg

White Widow seedling in 7 gal, day 25 in flower. She was not topped.
white_widow1.jpg

White Widow. Lots of fat, swollen bracts showing.
white_widow2.jpg

White Widow, day 25 in flower.
white_widow3.jpg

White Widow, very healthy and showing only minor amounts of leaf spot mold – mainly downy mildew, and not so much septoria. I pluck off the more affected leaves. I've been fertigating about every 2 days with DTE solution grade potassium sulfate, and DTE micronized fish bone powder. Also using high-N liquid fert NPK 11-2-4, to keep up some N. I've also been giving straight water in between fertigation, as needed. I only use rainwater.
white_widow4.jpg

White Widow, day 25 in flower.
white_widow5.jpg

Greetings Ganja Gnomes,

1698903952182.png

Photo: Lori Harrison, Etsy

Here's an update with pics from today...

In the veg house... 10 days of growth since Oct. 22.
veg_house1.jpg

11 clones ready for planting.
clones1.jpg

Very humid today, and overcast.
temp_RH1.jpg

In the flower house, the White Widow seedling is on day 35 in flower. Due to the appearance of some bud rot today, she has now entered the harvest window. This girl is shaping up to be similar to the Blueberry I harvested Sept. 21, except the BB was in 15 gal., had a bigger yield, and less bud rot. Leaf spot mold has increased dramatically over the past 10 days. I think she's suffering from pot-too-small-itis... root bound and premature senescence has set in. The 7 gal pot turned out to be too small for this girl to finish in. Next time I'll use a 15 gal fabric pot.
white_widow1.jpg

Top cola of White Widow on day 35 in flower. I didn't notice any bud rot on the top cola. I clipped out a couple major spots of bud rot (see next post). Other than that, she was fairly clean. I sprayed down all the buds heavily with peroxide solution.
white_widow2.jpg

White Widow bud on day 35.
WW_bud1.jpg

White Widow trichomes on day 35 in flower. Glassy... it's a shame cuz I'll likely need to harvest tomorrow to avoid losing it all to bud rot. Well, there are a lot of milky ones. No amber to speak of.
WW_trichomes1.jpg

WW_trichomes2.jpg

WW_trichomes4.jpg

Continued...

... Continued

Leaf mold and bud rot photos, White Widow from seed on day 35 in flower, 7 gal. pot.

Leaf spot mold... it's either septoria or downy mildew... I forgot to check the underside of the leaf. Downy mildew sporulates on the underside of the leaf, so you'll see a grey area there.
WW_leaf1.jpg

A necrotic bract... this is a sign of premature senescence. I.e. buds not ready to harvest, but some sugar leaves and bracts showing necrosis (dead areas), which provides a place for fungus to get started.
WW_bract1.jpg

One of two serious spots of bud rot – botrytis. I very rarely see bud rot developed to this point on my plants. I clipped it out.
WW_budrot1.jpg

Another spot of bud rot.
WW_budrot2.jpg

The next 3 photos are false color showing areas of necrosis in red. These areas typically show beginning signs of bud rot. Dead stigmas are normal; however you can see the red (necrosis) starting to affect the sugar leaves.
WW_budrot_falsecolor1.jpg

WW_budrot_falsecolor2.jpg

WW_budrot_falsecolor3.jpg

Thanks for viewing & have a great day :ciao:

White Widow harvest update:

I harvested the White Widow yesterday and dodged the bud rot freight train. I trimmed last night, and threw the buds in the food dehydrator on the lowest setting for a few hours. Today I dried the buds some more in paper bags in the sun... more drying needed. Trimming was grueling and time consuming, but I had enough energy to power through it... stayed up until the wee hours.

I would say between 1/3 to 1/2 of the buds were lost to bud rot... not so much the big buds, but a considerable amount of the medium-size ones and bigger popcorn. I just threw out a lot of the small popcorn and sub-popcorn, as it was riddled with necrosis. Trimming was very time consuming... sorting through buds with hidden internal small amounts of necrosis and/or bud rot (often hard to tell), usually clipping it out... fingers getting very sticky... using lots of orange oil to clean fingers and scissors.

The #1 problem in this case: senescence. Sugar leaves and bracts starting to die before the buds are ripe, inviting bud rot to get started. I guarantee you, this phenomenon is now fully ingrained in my brain. 🤪

I have a renewed appreciation for the effects of senescence as relates to pot size, because a root bound plant, late in flower, is not able to absorb nutrients and water properly. Funny, because recently I mentioned that maybe 15 gal was too much for my growing style. I'm thinking 10 gal now... for now I can maybe just put less soil in the 15 gal fabric pots. Yes, 10 gal... definitely fabric... I need to make some.

Another factor relating to senescence in late flower is the length of time I keep the plants in veg, using my night-interruption lighting. (I must sound like a broken record.) I tend to like to let the plants get big in veg, so I'll need to adjust – either use 15 gal pots, or move the plants to flower a lot sooner, which is exactly what I'm about to do with several plants currently in the veg house.

I moved this White Widow to flower when she was 5 ft 7 in tall, and in the end she was over 6 ft 7 in tall. I was actually testing this pheno out, before going all out in 15 gal, so the lesson is... if 7 gal, then move to flower much sooner.

Terpene odor wasn't super strong, but perhaps that's because I harvested at the end of the day. The odor is hard to describe, but I would say spicy and I could detect the pinene. Here's the terp profile from Seedsman:

1699089293354.png

Compare to HSC's Humboldt Dream which is my #2 plant for bud rot resistance... much higher myrcene and pinene:

1699089829909.png

My #1 plant for bud rot resistance (F'N AMAZING) is HSC's HI-BISCUS with terpinolene dominant. Below is the best terp profile I could find... dunno how accurate... at least it maybe shows the ratios:

1699090940123.png

Terpinolene at 0.33% is the same as 3.3 mg/g. The HI-BISCUS I grew had a very strong odor at harvest time, and terpinolene is known for this.

White Widow top cola, sans side branches.
WW_top_cola1.jpg

White Widow trichomes - 36 days in flower, 7 gal pot, about 6 ft 9 in tall, harvested early due to senescence and bud rot setting in.
WW_trichomes1.jpg

WW_trichomes2.jpg

WW_trichomes3.jpg

Greetings Growmies,

In this post I'm doing a little analysis focusing on terpinolene, and comparing to my best bud rot resistant strain, HI-BISCUS, from Humboldt Seed Co. I view HI-BISCUS as a baseline for super bud rot resistance, since I'm growing outdoors in a warm, wet tropical environment that might be considered a worst-case scenario for fungus and mold, and HI-BISCUS performs miraculously!

Unfortunately, HSC doesn't yet have a terpene profile for HI-BISCUS, and I've only been able to find one source on the web... the chart below.

First, regarding what I said in my last post...
Terpinolene at 0.33% is the same as 3.3 mg/g. The HI-BISCUS I grew had a very strong odor at harvest time, and terpinolene is known for this.
I made a mistake on this, because the below chart is not showing the percent of terpinolene by weight in the sample – it's showing the amount of terpinolene as a percent of the total terpene content of the sample. The terpene percentages all add up to 1.0. The important thing that's missing is a measure of the total terpenes in the sample, as percent of the total weight of the sample.

1700617734432.png

HI-BISCUS total terpenes: UNKNOWN

After staring at this chart for a while, I realized that it's a little weird. Obviously, the chart must be showing the breakdown of terpenes as a percentage of total terpenes; however, instead of the percents adding up to 100%, they add up to 1%. But why? 1% is definitely in the range of say 1-4% which is probably common for most strains; i.e. most strains contain from 1-4% terpenes by weight. But this is not what the chart is showing. I think what's going on is that the chart is standardized to 1%.
(To explain what standardized to 1% means... let's say a particular lab result indicates the sample has 3.39% total terpenes by weight, with all the individual terpene percents adding up to 3.39%. Now let's say the sample contains 1.89% terpinolene. The ratio of terpinolene to the total would be 1.89 ÷ 3.39 = 0.558, or 55.8%. Now if we standardize this to 1%, we would get 0.558% or rounded up, 0.56% terpinolene.)

All we can say is, for the above chart, terpinolene was 33% of the total terpenes in the sample. Pinene and myrcene are also prominent.

Now let's take a look at 5 popular high-terpinolene strains...

First, Durban Poison...

1700619534148.png

In this chart we do see the total terpenes, 2.63% by weight. In other words, the terpenes in the dried flower sample make up 2.63% of the total weight of the sample. This can be converted to 26.3 mg/g by multiplying by 10. So, if you've got a gram of this flower (1,000 mg), the terpenes in it weigh 26.3 mg.

Now, 36% of that is terpinolene, or .36 x 26.3 = 9.47 mg/g.

HI-BISCUS vs. DURBAN POISON (sativa)
HI-BISCUS: terpinolene 33%, pinene 25%, myrcene 25%
Durban Poison: terpinolene 36% (9.47 mg/g), pinene 11%, myrcene 15%

Next let's have a look at Chemdawg...

1700626002617.png

g-Terpinene, or gamma-Terpinene, is the same thing as terpinolene.

HI-BISCUS vs. CHEMDAWG (sativa)
Chemdawg: terpinolene 41% (9.96 mg/g), pinene 2%, myrcene 5%

Next up, LSD...

1700626752098.png

I'm very surprised to see an indica-dominant strain with 44% terpinolene! (Dunno why they show gamma-Terpinene as seperate here, but AFAIK it's terpinolene... add 2%.)

HI-BISCUS vs. LSD (indica-dominant hybrid)
LSD: terpinolene 46% (9.43 mg/g), pinene 11%, myrcene 14%

Next up, M.A.C. aka The Mac aka Miracle Alien Cookies...

1700627945474.png

This time, a 50/50 hybrid with very high terpinolene. I'm a bit confused though, because other references to MAC don't seem to list terpinolene as dominant, so perhaps there are some phenotypic differences.

HI-BISCUS vs. M.A.C. (50/50 hybrid)
M.A.C.: terpinolene 41% (9.35 mg/g), pinene 6%, myrcene 7%

Lastly, Mac N Cheese...

1700628392542.png

I'm excited about this one... indica dominant and high in terpinolene, pinene, and myrcene... just like HI-BISCUS.

HI-BISCUS vs. Mac N Cheese (indica dominant hybrid)
Mac N Cheese: terpinolene 22% (3.92 mg/g), pinene 19%, myrcene 30%

OK, one more... HSC's Trainwreck...

1700642264250.png

Adding together to get total terpenes, 6.3 mg/g. Divide by 10 gives us percent, .63%. Oh man, that can't be right! OK, I'm gonna ignore that and just do percentages based on the 6.3 mg/g total.

HI-BISCUS vs. HSC's Trainwreck (sativa dominant)
Trainwreck: terpinolene 21% (??? mg/g), pinene 21%, myrcene 22%

Conclusions:

Let's mash them all together...

HI-BISCUS (50/50)......... terpinolene 33% (?.?? mg/g), pinene 25%, myrcene 25%, Tot. ?.??%
Durban Poison (sativa).... terpinolene 36% (9.47 mg/g), pinene 11%, myrcene 15%, Tot. 2.63%
Chemdawg (sativa)......... terpinolene 41% (9.96 mg/g), pinene 02%, myrcene 05%, Tot. 2.43%
LSD (indica dominant)..... terpinolene 46% (9.43 mg/g), pinene 11%, myrcene 14%, Tot. 2.05%
M.A.C. (50/50)............ terpinolene 41% (9.35 mg/g), pinene 06%, myrcene 07%, Tot. 2.28%

Mac N Cheese (indica dom.) terpinolene 22% (3.92 mg/g), pinene 19%, myrcene 30%, Tot. 1.78%
Trainwreck (sativa dom.)..
terpinolene 21% (?.?? mg/g), pinene 21%, myrcene 22%, Tot. ?.??%

There's a bunch of observations here. First, one could expect some variability going on here regarding total terpenes (far right column), for each strain, based on how successful the grow was for the particular plant that a sample came from. Regardless of that, the ratio of the individual terpenes to the total should be fairly consistent. There could also be phenotypic differences going on, meaning not all phenotypes of any of these strains would necessarily produce the same terpene profiles. That said, it's very interesting to see the four strains shown in purple above, with relatively the same terpinolene content, yet two are sativas, one is indica dominant, and one is 50/50.

For me, the ones that are also high in pinene and myrcene are the most interesting: Durban Poison, LSD, Mac N Cheese, and Trainwreck. I have yet to find an indica-dominant strain that's bud rot resistant, so LSD and Mac N Cheese look very promising. For a sativa, I'm leaning toward HSC's Trainwreck... just a bit concerned about total terpenes.

Following up on the Chemdawg terpene profile from my last post...

1700704516142.png

It's possible that the labeling of gamma-Terpinene in this chart is an error. I also made an error in my last post, saying that gamma-Terpinene is the same as terpinolene. Actually, delta-Terpinene is the one also known as terpinolene.

I can't find any other reference to gamma-Terpinene dominance in any Chemdawg phenotype. However, I did find another reference, to the phenotype known as Chemdawg D '08, that shows terpinolene dominance.

So, for now I'm going to guess that the above chart refers to a descendant of Chemdawg D, showing terpinolene dominance.

Here are the main phenotypes of Chemdawg, according to MedicalJane, and I have added the dominant 3 terpenes based on my googling research:

Chemdawg '91* ......... caryophyllene, limonene, myrcene
Chemdawg's Sister** ... myrcene, caryophyllene, limonene
Chemdawg B ............ ???
Chemdawg D ............ terpinolene, caryophyllene, pinene
Chemdawg 4 ............ caryophyllene, myrcene, humulene

*most prevalent, aka Chemdawg
**formerly Chemdawg A

Conclusions:

Chemdawg provides a very good example of how terpene profiles vary among phenotypes of a given strain! Keep that in mind when reading my last post, looking at 5 popular high-terpinolene strains. It's interesting to me that when terpinolene is dominant, pinene is also often prominent. And it seems that when pinene is prominent, so is myrcene – that is certainly the case with HI-BISCUS. We can only go so far looking at terpene lab test results available online for various strains and their phenotypes. The true test is to grow your own, isolate the best phenos, dry your buds in a way to preserve terpenes, and then send samples to a lab for testing.

More on the terpinenes...

Again, delta-Terpinene (δ-Terpinene) is also known as terpinolene. gamma-Terpinene (γ-Terpinene) is another member of the family of terpinenes.

gamma-Terpinene (γ-Terpinene):
1700700566265.png

delta-Terpinene (δ-Terpinene) aka Terpinolene:
1700700765869.png

The terpinenes are a subgroup of the terpenes found in cannabis...

"The terpinenes are a group of isomeric hydrocarbons that are classified as monoterpenes. They each have the same molecular formula and carbon framework, but they differ in the position of carbon-carbon double bonds. α-Terpinene has been isolated from cardamom and marjoram oils, and from other natural sources. β-Terpinene has no known natural source but has been prepared from sabinene. γ-Terpinene and δ-terpinene (also known as terpinolene) have been isolated from a variety of plant sources."​
"α-Terpinene is produced industrially by acid-catalyzed rearrangement of α-pinene."​

When you get a terpene analysis done by a cannabis testing lab, they typically test for all 3 naturally-occurring terpinenes in cannabis: α-Terpinene, γ-Terpinene and δ-Terpinene (terpinolene).

Another one on my radar now... Lemon Skunk... terpinolene dominant.

From Leafly:

"Descendant of two skunk phenotypes, each chosen for their intense lemon traits. In The Flow's Lemon Skunk won second place Overall Flower Champion at the 2018 Connoisseur Cup. Skunk, sweet, and cheese aromas with the flavor of a lemon drop. Reported to be excellent for depression, this strain is both uplifting and stimulating. Oozing with the terpenes Terpinolene, b-Pinene, and Ocimene. Powerful Sativa-Dominant Hybrid."

And Super Lemon Haze = Lemon Skunk x Super Silver Haze.

"Those familiar with terpenes may assume that this means it derives its taste from limonene, one of the main terpenes that conveys citrus flavor. However, in a shocking twist of events, terpinolene is commonly the most prominent terpene that Super Lemon Haze has. Terpinolene carries some citrus flavor itself, along with notes of pine and herbs. The strain also commonly contains humulene, myrcene, limonene and caryophyllene." [ source ]​

Lemon Skunk (sativa dominant) in the zone! terpinolene, pinene, myrcene...

1700713674757.png

1.74% total terpenes = 17.4 mg/g.
Lemon Skunk: terpinolene 42% (7.3 mg/g), pinene 14%, myrcene 14%

Super Lemon Haze (sativa dominant)...

1700714411376.png

1.53% total terpenes = 15.3 mg/g.
Super Lemon Haze: terpinolene 27% (4.2 mg/g), pinene 12%, myrcene 10%

OK, one more... HSC's Trainwreck...

1700642264250.png

Adding together to get total terpenes, 6.3 mg/g. Divide by 10 gives us percent, .63%. Oh man, that can't be right! OK, I'm gonna ignore that and just do percentages based on the 6.3 mg/g total.

HI-BISCUS vs. HSC's Trainwreck (sativa dominant)
Trainwreck: terpinolene 21% (??? mg/g), pinene 21%, myrcene 22%

This is perhaps not a very good example of HSC's Trainwreck. It's possible that the total terpenes in the sample are indeed only 0.63% by weight, but that probably implies that the particular grow wasn't spectacular, and there simply wasn't great resin production. I think 1.5-2.5% is typical for a lot of strains.

I found another example of a terpinolene-dominant pheno of Trainwreck...

Total terpenes: 1.06%

1700716434589.png

HI-BISCUS vs. Trainwreck (sativa dominant)
Trainwreck: terpinolene 40% (4.2 mg/g), pinene 15%, myrcene 6.6%

:morenutes:

Greetings Growmies,

I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving!

I'm at it again with a Thanksgiving-dinner-fuelled deep dive...

I found a lot of other terpinolene dominant strains tonight in my research, and they all have terpinolene, myrcene, and pinene in high concentrations. It seems like the strains that have phenotypic differences in the terpene profiles will either be terpinolene dominant (more rare) or myrcene dominant (less rare). For example, it appears some Blue Dream phenos can have terpinolene dominant, but it's rare – most seem to be myrcene dominant.

I'm reporting here on 9 more strains...
  • Jack Herer
  • XJ-13 (Jack Herer x G13 Haze)
  • Dutch Treat (Northern Lights x Haze)
  • Ghost Train Haze (Ghost OG x Neville's wreck)
  • Chernobyl (Subcool's)
  • Clementine (Lemon Skunk x Tangie)
  • Zkittlez (Grape Ape x Grapefruit)
  • Grapefruit Kush (Grapefruit x BC Kush)
  • Lemon Diesel (California Sour x Lost Coast OG)
In another post, it will be fun to also look at some popular crosses, such as Chem Jack - Chemdawg D x Jack Herer, MAC n Jack - MAC x Jack Herer, and others.

A word about HSC's HI-BISCUS... it's a cross between Zkittlez and HSC's Blueberry Muffin. Blueberry Muffin is a cross between HSC's Purple Panty Dropper (PPD) and Razzleberry Kush. The only terpinolene dominance I can find in the HI-BISCUS lineage is Zkittlez. HSC's own terpene profile for PPD shows no terpinolene.

The highest terpinolene content I have found so far is Jack Herer at 1.35%, followed by XJ-13 at 1.16%...

Jack Herer (sativa dominant), super high terpinolene!

1700810145102.png

2.57% total terpenes = 25.7 mg/g
Jack Herer: terpinolene 53% (13.5 mg/g), pinene 9%, myrcene 9%

XJ-13 (50/50 hybrid; Jack Herer x G13 Haze)

Total terpenes: 2.39%

1700812034169.png

2.39% total terpenes = 23.9 mg/g
XJ-13: terpinolene 49% (11.6 mg/g), pinene 10%, myrcene 9%

Dutch Treat (indica dominant, sativa effects)

1700817954473.png

3.29% total terpenes = 32.9 mg/g
Dutch Treat: terpinolene 34% (11.2 mg/g), pinene 6%, myrcene 24%

Ghost Train Haze (sativa dominant)

1700818692318.png

1.80% total terpenes = 18.0 mg/g
Ghost Train Haze: terpinolene 38% (6.8 mg/g), pinene 10%, myrcene 11%

Chernobyl (sativa dominant)

1700819041617.png

1.47% total terpenes = 14.7 mg/g
Chernobyl: terpinolene 39% (5.7 mg/g), pinene 12%, myrcene 15%

Clementine (sativa dominant; short flowering time)

1700819427364.png

1.75% total terpenes = 17.5 mg/g
Clementine: terpinolene 44% (7.7 mg/g), pinene 11%, myrcene 8%

Zkittlez (indica dominant)

1700822574719.png

1.18% total terpenes = 11.8 mg/g
Zkittlez: terpinolene 23% (2.7 mg/g), pinene 8%, myrcene 14%

Grapefruit Kush (indica dominant)

1700822848593.png

1.36% total terpenes = 13.6 mg/g
Grapefruit Kush: terpinolene 37% (5.0 mg/g), pinene 10%, myrcene 18%

Lemon Diesel (indica dominant)

1700824666587.png

1.5% total terpenes = 15.0 mg/g
Lemon Diesel: terpinolene 25% (3.8 mg/g), pinene 10%, myrcene 7%

Here's my updated chart, with purple showing new additions, and sorted by terpinolene mg/g:

Jack Herer (sativa dom.).. terpinolene 53% (13.5 mg/g), pinene 09%, myrcene 09%, Tot. 2.57%
XJ-13 (50/50)............. terpinolene 49% (11.6 mg/g), pinene 10%, myrcene 09%, Tot. 2.39%
Dutch Treat (indica dom.). terpinolene 34% (11.2 mg/g), pinene 06%, myrcene 24%, Tot. 3.29%
Chemdawg D (sativa)....... terpinolene 41% (9.96 mg/g), pinene 02%, myrcene 05%, Tot. 2.43%
Durban Poison (sativa).... terpinolene 36% (9.47 mg/g), pinene 11%, myrcene 15%, Tot. 2.63%
LSD (indica dominant)..... terpinolene 46% (9.43 mg/g), pinene 11%, myrcene 14%, Tot. 2.05%
MAC (50/50)............... terpinolene 41% (9.35 mg/g), pinene 06%, myrcene 07%, Tot. 2.28%
HI-BISCUS (50/50)*........ terpinolene 33% (7.72 mg/g), pinene 25%, myrcene 25%, Tot. 2.34%
Clementine (sativa dom.).. terpinolene 44% (7.70 mg/g), pinene 11%, myrcene 08%, Tot. 1.75%
Lemon Skunk (sativa dom.). terpinolene 42% (7.30 mg/g), pinene 14%, myrcene 14%, Tot. 1.74%
Ghost Train Haze (sativa). terpinolene 38% (6.80 mg/g), pinene 10%, myrcene 11%, Tot. 1.80%
Chernobyl (sativa dom.)... terpinolene 39% (5.70 mg/g), pinene 12%, myrcene 15%, Tot. 1.47%
Grapefruit Kush (indica).. terpinolene 37% (5.00 mg/g), pinene 10%, myrcene 18%, Tot. 1.36%
Trainwreck (sativa dom.).. terpinolene 40% (4.20 mg/g), pinene 15%, myrcene 07%, Tot. 1.06%
Super Lemon Haze (sativa). terpinolene 27% (4.20 mg/g), pinene 12%, myrcene 10%, Tot. 1.53%

Mac N Cheese (indica dom.) terpinolene 22% (3.92 mg/g), pinene 19%, myrcene 30%, Tot. 1.78%
Lemon Diesel (indica dom.) terpinolene 25% (3.80 mg/g), pinene 10%, myrcene 07%, Tot. 1.50%
Zkittlez (indica dom.).... terpinolene 23% (2.70 mg/g), pinene 08%, myrcene 14%, Tot. 1.18%

*guesstimate arrived at below...

Conclusions

I'm sort of blown away by all this! There are definitely patterns emerging. First, I'm really excited to find Jack Herer is super high in terpinolene, and with pinene and myrcene also high. And, excited to have found another 50/50, XJ-13, and another indica dominant, Dutch Treat, that are both in the top 3. Again, the HI-BISCUS terpene profile remains a bit nebulous, until I'm able to send a sample to the lab.

Here's one pattern in the chart: There's a dividing line at MAC/Clementine (where I placed the HI-BISCUS guesstimate). Above the line, terpinolene mg/g is in the range 9.35-13.5, while below the line terpinolene mg/g is in the range 2.7-7.7. And there's also a corresponding division in total terpenes at that line – above the line, the range is 2.05-3.29% (i.e. above 2%), while below the line, the range is 1.18-1.8% (i.e. below 2%). But what does it mean? I'm going to guess that the total terpenes (far right column) is a fairly accurate reflection of the typical resin production for the given strain, and that each sample was from a plant that was grown well, harvested at the proper time, and dried in a way to preserve terpenes. I'm guessing this is the case for all, or almost all, of the strains listed in the chart. If that is true, then the chart shows that the concentration of terpinolene (mg/g) increases with resin production, which makes total sense. When I harvested my HI-BISCUS, I noted high resin production and heavy terpene odor right up to the day of harvest. My guess is that bud rot resistance is a factor of both the presence of terpinolene/pinene/myrcene and high resin production.

Guesstimate... I can now make a semi-educated guess at the total terpenes for HI-BISCUS. I'm going to guess that it's right at the MAC/Clementine line in the chart, above 2% total terpenes. Since HI-BISCUS is a 50/50 hybrid, I'll guess 2.34%. This also somewhat matches up with the resin production I reported in my HI-BISCUS harvest report, i.e. "medium+". Had my grow been more successful, maybe it could have reached something like 2.3+% total terpenes, but not as high as the resin production of a Chemdawg or Durban Poison.

I'll end this post by looking at some statistics for the chart...

Total strains: 18
sativa... 9 = 50%
50/50.... 3 = 17%
indica... 6 = 33%
Avg. 50/50..... terpinolene 41% (9.59 mg/g), pinene 14%, myrcene 14%, Tot. 2.34%
Avg. sativa.... terpinolene 40% (7.56 mg/g), pinene 11%, myrcene 10%, Tot. 1.89%
Avg. indica.... terpinolene 31% (5.77 mg/g), pinene 11%, myrcene 18%, Tot. 1.86%
Summary: Most terpinolene dominant strains are sativa dominant; however many are indica dominant. 50/50 hybrids make up the smallest group; however, this group potentially has the highest terpinolene content. It also potentially has the most pinene and myrcene, as well as the most resin production. Resin production for sativas and indicas averages about the same, but indicas have more myrcene. 50/50 hybrids in the chart average 9.59 mg/g terpinolene, while indicas average 5.77 mg/g, and sativas fall almost right in between at 7.56 mg/g. 50/50 hybrids and sativas in the chart have roughly the same average terpinolene content, as a percentage of total terpenes. Indicas in the chart produce on average 10% less terpinolene as a percentage of total terpenes. It seems that terpinolene dominant 50/50 hybrids lead in overall resin production – and therefore terpene production. It would be good to understand why this is. Disclaimer... a bigger sample is needed... many more strains. 🤓

In an upcoming post, I'll try to gain more insight into differences in terpene profiles associated with different phenotypes of specific strains, to see if there is any correlation to be drawn with 50/50, sativa, or indica, as relates to terpinolene dominance. Stay tuned!

have a great weekend!

You should be able to find some on that list that you like. :) I know that I like a bunch of them.:rolleyes: I've only grown Jack Herer and Durban. Both were from Sensi. Neither had fungus problems.
It's funny that the Jack Herer I grew was one of those times that I tried growing more than one strain in the tray at a time. The other strain was OG Kush. It was before I had any control over the RH and relied on exhaust and fans.:oops:
I got bud rot on the OG Kush (huge buds) and no rot on the Jack Herer in the same tray. The buds weren't as big on the Jack though.:hmmmm:
My Jack Herer was pheno C, the haze dominant pheno.:)

Back
Top Bottom