Ravenplume's @Seedsman Purple Ghost Candy Comparative Journal - 2024

Ravenplume

2024-03-08 / 16:20

Finally starting my entry into @SeedsMan's Purple Ghost Candy Comparative Grow.

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-00.jpg

I have 5 seeds to work with, and will be starting with just three, keeping the other two in reserve in the event of an oops or two.

Not really much to show initially, of course, just the first three seeds on their damp germination paper towel...

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-01.jpg

And then the towel in a zipper baggie.

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-02.jpg

My plan is to make the first one, the S:00, the primary for the project, which will be planted out in the cage come June or late May. The second one (S:01) will go in a 5 gallon bucket filled with yard dirt to be an indoor/outdoor grow throughout the season, and to be flipped to flower whenever I feel she might be ready. The third (S:02) will also get a 5 gallon bucket, but using some sort of potting soil mix, to be determined when the time comes. Figure it is time to compare grows with just my yard dirt and just whatever potting soil we choose. Of course, they all get Jiffy Pots first, and I guess the one getting the bucket of potting soil will also have the same in her Jiffy Pot.

Other goals for this is to take cuttings and get them to root and also hopefully doing the colloidal silver trick on at least one of them, though that could be a task for either S:03 or S:04 if they are not needed as replacements.

And here's the basics...

Name: Purple Ghost Candy(f) from @SeedsMan (Still hoping to learn the year these were generated)
Genetic Makeup: Sativa Dominant Hybrid
Pot/bucket Size: 5 Gallon
Grow Space: TBD
How Many Plants: 3 (Plus 2 in reserve)
Environment: Indoor / Outdoor
Stage: Germinating
Medium: Yard Dirt (Nicely volcanic content) / Potting Soil TBD

That is really all I have for this for now. Other info will be added later (shame the first post won't be editable by then)

2024-03-10 / 08:20

The first two seeds have sprouted. Nothing more to report this morning.
CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-03.jpg

TTS (Time to Sprout): 36 hours

22:00

The third seed is sprouted, tip of the taproot just barely visible.

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-04.jpg

Also, her sisters have grown notably since this morning as well.

TTS: 49 hours

Looks great so far. I may steal your introduction when I start mine. We're all a bunch of stoners so I doubt anyone will notice or remember. :laughtwo:

I'm growing Purple Ghost Candy, too but won't be starting until May at the earliest.

I would be flattered to see my style start getting used by others. :)

Planting happening soon(tm) after I do my morning wakeup routine.

2024-03-13 / 10:30

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-05.jpg

Time to get the first three planted in their Jiffy Pots.
CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-06.jpg

Blinky and Inky, S:00 and S:01 are in normal yard dirt as is typical for my cannabis plants. Pinky, aka S:02, is 100% in Miracle Gro Potting Mix that we got at what I think was a good price at Bi-Mart yesterday, $12.99 if I recall correctly.

This bit is another little experiment in half-assed science, just seeing how my yard dirt (which I hold is still good quality, considering the volcanic area we are in) fares against the potting soil. Chose the Miracle Gro stuff because of the price, and the feeling that MG is simply a very trusted name among fellow growers of things.

Her 5 gallon will be all MG mix. And if it looks like it is not working for her, should be plenty time before she gets her 5 gallon to carefully uproot and put into a J-Pot of yard dirt. But this stuff is looking pretty high quality unlike the Dr. Earth stuff we used a few years back, so chances are, that will not be required.

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-07.jpg

Meanwhile, the trio is now happily homed under the little blurple grow lamp on my nightstand until they are ready for 5 gallon buckets. Likely won't bucket Blinky though, since she is going out in the cage come June or late May and should be quite happy until then just in a J-Pot. If the pot starts deteriorating too much before then, I will put it and Blinky into a temporary 1 gallon planter until outside planting time.

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-08.jpg

When the big turn of the weather hits in a couple days (high of 45 today, 51 tomorrow, 65 and 68 Friday and Saturday, then a string of low and gradually rising 70s starting Sunday) they will join a lot of other plants out on the front porch railing for some really good long sessions of natural sunlight.

The other two seeds, who would be Clyde and Sue of course, are in stand by in case of oops.

2024-03-15 / 16:20

Alright, I think I am going to make Friday 16:20 the only really regularly scheduled update, since other than oopses, I can't really think of anything that would need reported at this point. But I am sure there will be moments to report throughout the week that can go into a weekly update (Oopses of course would be reported immediately though. May that not be needed.)

So here are Blinky, Inky, and Pinky still happily under the little grow lamp on my nightstand now at SPT+126 Hours (aka 5 days plus change); with SPT Being Sprout Time. Starting with next week's update, the unit of measurement will change from hours to days rounded to the half day.

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-09.jpg

Looking fine for now, as far as I can determine. However, it does look like Blinky and Inky, especially Inky, can use a little more dirt in their pots. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who grumbles about "erosion" from watering, even when they are potted?

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-10.jpg

Once they all have their crowns, and at least one level of leaves that aren't their baby leaves (a status I call Level:0), then that is when Inky and Pinky will get bucketed. At that point, they may all start getting porch time during the day as well, like almost every other plant in the house is right now.

2024-03-22 / 16:20

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-11.jpg

SPT: 12.5 Days

Starting with this entry, I am including in the weekly update, the subjects' height. Figure that could be an important bit of data. So...

S:00 - Blinky : 3 1/2" / 89mm
S:01 - Inky : 2" / 51mm
S:02 - Pinky : 2.5" / 64mm

Temperature in the room they have been kept in has been from 65 to 70, if that matters.

All three have shaken off their shells now. Also, Blinky and Inky have picked up some companions, sunflowers from seeds that were buried in the yard dirt that the girls were planted in. Pinky obviously does not have any sunflower companion due to being in 100% Miracle Gro soil. Blinky has three, as you can see, with one having come up behind her tag. Inky gets to keep hers, and it will go into the 5 gallon bucket with her when she gets planted.

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-12.jpg

However, I have a "No companions in the cage, especially sunflowers" policy, so Blinky's three companions have been carefully pulled and moved to Jiffy Pots, which they are each sharing with morning glories and chives. These will get planted in their entirety in front of the porch some time in May, most likely, or possibly mid to late April. We will see.

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-13.jpg

And finally, since they were being light chasers for some unknown reason, I have moved them to the south facing window in my room during the day, and back underneath the grow lamp after the sun goes down. No idea why they are just stretching even though I have been keeping them under a proper blurple grow lamp and even elevated so they are right close to the light. Starting to doubt the usefulness of these types of lights vs normal flouro lamps like I use everywhere else in the house. Hopefully getting real sunlight in the window will make them actually start freakin' growing like these have been doing.

It's all good. This happens to most of my babies at this point in their development. They will get buried up to their necks when they get their 5 gallons. Blinky will just be kept close to the lamp I have a couple others huddling beneath, and she will have her proper growth spurt then, I would guess. That will be another nice little point to compare when the time comes...which ones will have their growth spurt first when Inky and Pinky get their buckets.

Any that do start getting "unstable" will get what I call the plant version of a cone of shame, an empty TP roll around it to hold her vertical until she toughens up.

2024-03-29 / 16:20

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-14.jpg

SPT +2 Weeks (13 Days)

Blinky: 3.25" / 82.5mm
Inky: 2.00" / 44.5mm
Pinky: 2.25" / 50.8mm

Last Watered : 2024-03-29 / 13:30

This is the day that I change my measurements from the top of the soil to the top of the center of the crown, as the occasional soil top off was making that a stupid idea. Now, I will be measuring from the lip of the Jiffy Pot to the top of the crown's center.

Next update will be Saturday instead of Friday and largely Saturday from here on our (likely going to do that with my other journals as well once I get stuff sorted out). SPT is now in weeks as well as days.

Inky has got a second sunflower guttersnipe companion. Neither Inky nor Pinky will be getting their 5 gallon buckets until they achieve Level 0 and then some, preferably looking similar to how this Feyleaf Lite and Feyleaf are. (Both have a lovely tangle of roots growing from the bottom of their pots into the styro cups, just waiting them to show their sex before doing anything more with them.) Pinky definitely seems to be outgrowing both her sisters. And she is the only one of the 3 that is in all Miracle Gro soil. Guessing I shouldn't need to REALLY make her 5 gallon bucket all Miracle Gro. That sould be pretty wasteful. Will most likely go with mostly yard dirt and a layer of MG soil somewhere in its depths, probably 1/4 or 1/3 of the way down.

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-15.jpg

In the meantime, all three girls will keep their 3 banger tray and spot atop the AC for now. We have at least a couple days coming up with temps in the 70s and little wind before Ma Nature dives us the finger again. They will be taking advantage of that out on the porch those days. And by then, perhaps we will have some other lighting solutions implemented as well so they can really start to grow up.

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-16.jpg

2024-04-11 / 20:30

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-17.jpg

SPT +4 Weeks (27 Days)

Blinky: 1.75" / 44.5mm
Inky: NM
Pinky: NM

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-18.jpg

Blinky was put in a 1 gallon planter with a layer of Miracle Gro potting soil on top, buried up to her neck back on 04-02.

She had been looking a tad sickly since then, but I think that is just because for the previous couple days, all she was getting was some afternoon sunlight through the blinds. Now that she will be getting some regular outdoor time in the sun, she should hopefully start toughening up and getting nice and leafy.

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-19.jpg

Inky and Pinky each received their 5 gallon buckets on 04-04. Inky and her sunflower guttersnipes' planting medium is mostly yard dirt, at my best guess 75% and 25% Miracle Gro potting soil; mostly on top but somewhat stirred into the rest.

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-20.jpg

Pinky's is 100% MG Potting Soil. At first I was a bit concerned it might be too wasteful, then determined that the stuff can be easily reused anyway after the project is done.

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-21.jpg

In addition to Inky's 2 companions, I think both will be eventually sharing their buckets with a few other things...perhaps a scallion and a chive or two, garlic, marigolds, who knows?

And finally, until Inky and Pinky grow up above the lip of their buckets, I will not be bothering to take their measurements (thus the NM for No Measurement), only Blinky's, as she is already well above the rim of her planter.

And now that we are caught up here on a nearly 1 week late update, I can finally get even more caught up with the next proper weekly update in just 2 days.

2024-04-13 / 16:30

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-22.jpg

SPT +4 Weeks (31 Days)

Blinky: 1 7/8" / 47.6mm
Inky: NM
Pinky: NM

Not a whole lot to report as usual, other than with the nice 70s weather today and tomorrow (another effing cooling trend starting Monday), the girls are getting some sunshine time, along with actually every other cannabis plant in the house, plus many other things I am growing. Nothing really to report with Blinky, other than her height, as she is just biding her time until she goes into the ground June 1st or perhaps a tad earlier.

Meanwhile, Inky and Pinky are plugging along nicely in their buckets, though nowhere near reaching the lip, at which point I will start taking their measurements. Hopefully, by this time next week, I will be able to add a nice layer of additional dirt or Miracle Gro soil to them as the subjects get taller. Also, in addition to Inky's Sunflower guttersnipe companions, both she and Pinky have a single habanero pepper and a scallion as companions. Sadly, it does look like the habaneros will need replaced. I planted their sprouts directly instead of growing them up in J-Pots first, and they died. No biggie, easy to replace. The scallions were from a bundle of them we bought at Grocery Outlet a couple weeks back (chopped and used or froze the greens and plunked the butts in water until they sprouted fresh).

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-23.jpg

I think I am going to get another small companion or two set up for both of them. One at the very least, will be getting this J-Pot with a purple morning glory and a pair of Zinnia's (though I believe one of them is about to become living impaired), Thumbelina Mixed Colors. Will need to have a peek at what I have upstairs for the other one, though if nothing that is in all Miracle Gro soil, will have to get a fresh "set" started in a J-Pot with all MG, since Pinky's supposed to have nothing but the Miracle Gro soil (which then can all be reused post season for other stuff. Whatever is done, that will likely be part of next week's update or the week after.

CP-Journal-Seedsman-PGC-Fem-24.jpg

And that is it for the weekly 16:20 update. Hope we see some really nice development of all three in time for the 4:20 update on 4/20...

Back
Top Bottom