Seedlings Have Turned Yellow

bbande

I have seedlings 10 days into germination that some leaves and parts of others have turned yellow. Soil used is Fox Farm Ocean Forest, PH is ok with water. Have not given any nukes yet. Could the problem stem from the fact that I put the seedlings under a 400w metal halide Hortilux bulb within 6 days of germinated seedlings came up from the soil? Can a too intense of a light cause this for seedlings too young?
Please help!

They are about 22 inches away from the light. Light is air cooled with safety glass. Overwatering a little a time or two shouldn't have caused this?
Thanks for your help!

What happens is that the light intensity forces growth before the seedling can cope-it does not have a root system as yet to supply nutrition.. You have to subtley foliar feed with a half strength fish or veg fert, with some tea tea at half strength. This will help.
Next time, have your lights 12" higher until you see good new veg, then drop your light. The high light intensity is good, but you have to manage the seedling a little to get optimum results.
I start my seedlings off under a 1000W MH. and have my light 3' above the seedlings for the first couple or three days.
Hope that helps a bit.

sounds like too much water , not enough air to the roots combination. Foliar feeding and less water should solve the problem.

Thank you everyone for your opinions on this issue. I am adding a few pictures displaying the seedlings. I have also since discovered the PH test strips I had been using were outdated and the water may have been too alkaline.

DSC02432.JPG

DSC02421.JPG

DSC02427.JPG

This is what happened to me with my current grow. I put the seeds straight into ocean forrest and the soil has too many nutrients already for the seedling, giving it nute burn. You can see it in my white russian grow journal, the first couple of pages. The burn looks just like yours. Dont give any nutes at all or it will just burn your plants more...i had to transplant my plants out of the ocean forrest soil into a different soil with no nutes added to get any good green growth.

I don’t know if it’s heat stress or I’m over watering, it’s cold where I’m at and I have a heater near it fanning around so it doesn’t hit it directly.
Welcome to the group. When enough people see your message the suggestions should start to sort themselves out. It might take a bit of time though since you posted in a 15 year old 'dead' message thread.

Remember, we are not there to see the plant, the soil, and the set-up in person so it can often be harder for us to see what you are seeing. The seedling does not look all that bad in the picture. Tell us what you see and what you think is going wrong. Until then I will mention a couple of things that I notice.

The cup is only half filled with soil. Best to fill them up to within a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the rim. If under-filling becomes a habit it can mean 1/2 filled pots later on which might cause new problems once the plant is flowering.

Another thing is that it looks like to much water. The soil looks like it might have to much water. Looks like you are trying to trap humidity inside the upside down clear bottle. There is a lot of condensation, maybe too much, on the inside of that bottle. Might not hurt to try to control the humidity inside the bottle by taking the cap off allowing a bit of air circulation to take place. Or not use the bottle at all unless necessary.

D737C3C3-DEFC-430C-955A-7179D662973F.jpeg
Thanks for your help so far I appreciate it.
No quick question about the lighting should I be using white light light pink or dark purple?

F5394F76-31E2-4430-96AF-44C8E07DD58D.jpeg

5536D43E-72C0-42BE-8D88-1FBFF78AE12A.jpeg

The plant just doesn’t look well what should I do? Should I use white light pink or dark purple light?

image.jpg
I agree with @SmokingWings that your seedling does not look bad. Really no cause for alarm here. Seedlings often struggle at first until their roots develop. Overwatering is the most common cause of seedling death. Grower anxiety and meddling is probably a close second. Keep your eye on the new growth forming and good luck to you! :)

Back
Top Bottom