Seraphim's Coco-Hempy Bubba-Cheese & Blue Widow LED Grow Journal 2014

re: Seraphim's Coco-Hempy Bubba-Cheese & Blue Widow LED Grow Journal 2014

OK guys, I need some help.

Normal grow temperatures are from 65-80*F with 75*F or so being ideal under fresh air (300PPM or so CO2). However, one post here claims ideal growth with 1500PPM CO2 is in the 90-95*F range. Can anyone confirm that?

I would say 85 is the max you want to let it go, whoever says 90-95 is ideal they are sadly mistaken. the plants wont die at this temp but they will not produce what we want.

I hope you figure it out.

You know I'm new at this brother, but I have read my eyes out on the subject and have never seen anyone growing at 90-95. Now, my typical strategy is to google the shit out of a topic and search for grow journals for a set up like mine. That's how I ended up following Buckshot. (his indoor LED grow)

I know you'll figure it all out. Keep the spirit!

:hookah:

I keep my temps between 80 & 85 (lights on) and find that it`s ideal. 90 is the cutoff when I start to worry and work to lower temps. Although some plants may grow fine in the 90`s I guarantee that it will stress others. Temps that high will run the risk of hermies, stunted growth, etc. Keeping Co2 running in a small grow in my opinion is next to impossible considering the amount of air you need to exchange in order for the plants to stay healthy. The Co2 supplements are for larger grows (like commercial grows). From time to time i will add a homemade Co2 generator (the old sugar & yeast trick in a 2 liter bottle)to my cabinet. It may or may not help as much of it gets vented out, but at less than fifty or so cents to rig up a bottle that lasts 4 or 5 days it`s an easy addition. :peace: :volcano-smiley:

I have to digest the CO2 thing a little more. On the short shelf for now.

So, thinking about the next grow and using what I am learning from this one I think I want to try a different container. I like the idea of the hempy bucket. But I also like smart pots. So I want to try a Smart Hempy.

We all know what a hempy bucket is and how it works. If you don't, do a search on this site or even on gl00gle and you will quickly learn. Its quite simple.

Now, take the concept of the hempy bucket, and apply it to a smart pot. Here is what I am thinking of doing.

Take a 2 gallion smart pot. (they are 8" in diameter at the bottom.) Now take a normal 8" saucer like the one you would put under a small plant to catch the runoff when watering. Place the saucer inside of the smart-pot at the bottom so that the saucer is facing up flush at the bottom of the smart pot. Now the saucer becomes the reservoir on the smart pot and you don't have to drill a whole on the side because, it's a smart pot. It drains. Now fill as you would normally fill up your hempy bucket. Use the saucer as the reservoir. Plant and enjoy the results.

Here is a series of pictures to better explain what I am talking about...

Here is a regular 8" saucer
IMG_128824.JPG

Here is a #2 Smart-pot. 2 gal
IMG_128918.JPG

Insert the saucer into the smart-pot ...
IMG_129022.JPG

...so that the saucer is facing up flush at the bottom of the smart pot. The 2 gal smart pot and these saucers fit perfectly. If you go a different size, make sure that the saucer fits on the bottom covering it completely or at least mostly. The saucer is your reservoir.
IMG_129118.JPG

There, your Smart Hempy is ready!
IMG_129212.JPG

I have not tried these yet, but I will try them in my next grow. I got #2gal and #3gal smart pots and corresponding saucers for each. But technically you could go any size as long as the saucer is about the same size as the bottom of the smart pot.

My reasoning is that the smart pot will lead to the media in there drying up faster than in the plastic container leading to more frequent watering. The more frequently your media requires you to water again (and you do so), the faster your plant grows.

If the watering frequency gets to be ridiculous (which there is a good chance of in the 2 gallon ones when the plants are fully grown and well into flowering) then I will have to find a way to automate that. It would not be a true hempy anymore but hey, if it works and others also benefit from it, then why not!

Link up to my next Journal to find out how these end up working out. I may do one #2 and one #3 at the same time to see how each behaves.

FLIP to 12/12 tonight! :cheer:

You know, this little mutant plant may serve a very good purpose after all.

When you think about light, temperature and CO2 there are some unknowns to me. I know that 1500 PPM of CO2 is optimal and I have the goods to bring it up to that level in a controlled environment.

I do not know what temperatures are optimal when the maximum CO2 and Light are available.

So, why not experiment with the little auto?

I do have a spare small veg tent.
I do have the CO2 equipment and
I do have a veg spectrum LED that I can focus on that one plant for a little while before the next round gets going.

Here is what I am thinking..... put the automatic in the small 22"x36" tent with the one Mars-II 400 Veg spectrum all to itself. The small tent is inside my walk-in closet. I will leave the tent open and just shut the closet door and supplement CO2 to the entire closet. (after ensuring a fairly tight seal) The entire thing is only 68" X 56.5" X 96". I can easily bring the CO2 in there to 1500 PPM and monitor temp/RH from outside.

The auto was a free seed. Desktop plant sort of speak to see how autos work. So I am not too worried about it. I do however want to know how far I can push a plant in higher temperatures if I increase CO2 to ideal levels. The LED will be a variable. We know that with HID we need to add x amount of lumen and with LED I have read it being something like 35watt per square feet. But I am doing one lamp to one plant in a small, highly reflective tent where that mars-II looks pretty darn bright. Plus, plants stretch if they want more light, I will keep an eye out for sings that the light is not sufficient.

This could help answer some questions I have about CO2 and temperature tolerances and what my current environment can accommodate.

Although, it may kill the little one.

All in the name of science!

So, what do you say? Little side experimentation with CO2 on LED?

OK everyone, the co2 hotbox experiment is ON!

In the walk in closet we have: One Lamp, one tent, one circulating fan, one small plant and the end of a CO2 hose as well as the sensor probe for temperature/humidity. Plant has been fed just now. The door is closed and the CO2 rig is on and doing its thing. Current temp is at 80.2*F and rising. RH is at 40.1% and CO2 should be at about 1500PPM or so. Every half hour, the room gets a fresh shot of CO2. We will see how this affects the little one.

I will continue to monitor temperature to see where it stabilizes as well as plant condition for any signs of .. anything really.

I will keep updating on this side experiment as it develops.

In the main tent: The two ladies are doing very well. They woke up this morning from their first 12 hour night and looked very good. Temps inside the tent overnight remained in the 70s and both the circulation and exhaust fans were on. The intake was placed right in the AC vent so nice dry cool air kept them nice and happy. We are going into that first week of flowering were nothing happens for a bit before they re-focus on flowering.

It will be interesting to learn the outcome of the CO2 experiment. Use the results with care as they may not carry over to a different strain.

/Obi
:Namaste:

CO2 Hot Box Update - Things I didn't think about before starting this experiment:

#1. If it takes one minute of CO2 at x setting to fill the room to 1500PPM, how much of that is lost in 30 minutes if the room is fairly sealed? and does the next shot of CO2 in a half hour need to be just as big as the first one? Logic tells me that this little plant is not chewing through all the CO2 in 30 minutes. So, it would stand to reason that once the sealed area is filled to 1500 then subsequent shots should be just a fraction of of what it takes to get the entire area to that level initially. I don't want to OVER saturate with CO2 either. So I have lowered the recommended setting on the CO2 regulator to 1/3 of the recommended for this size room and I think that is even still too much.

Well noted. Looking to establish some sort of baseline framework.

It will be interesting to learn the outcome of the CO2 experiment. Use the results with care as they may not carry over to a different strain.

/Obi
:Namaste:

Hot Box Update: Day One

Well, the little one has survived the first day of extreme temperatures and looks none the worse for wear. In fact, she was actually all perked up when I opened the closet door. Temperatures inside the hotbox got up as far as 92.4*F!!! And although this is her first day of this treatment, she came out dancing. This is very promising.

IMG_131723.JPG

IMG_132023.JPG

I ended the first day of the experiment at 5:30PM local time mostly because I cannot see inside the closet with the door closed and I was curious if the poor thing had killed over and died in that heat. Not the case! Given how she looked today after 8+ hours of this, tomorrow we are going for a full 16-hour day.

IMG_132119.JPG

IMG_132218.JPG

One more thing, I noticed this morning. This little automatic is starting to do its thing. I see pre-flowers everywhere and she's going into bloom. So, I have to start thinking about switching nutes on my bubbling bucket. I also get to see how CO2 & high temperatures affect a plant going into and through flowering.

IMG_132717.JPG

In the main tent: 12 hour night number 2 is under way. All the ladies moving along nicely. Will post pictures when there are some changes to see.

Yeah you and me both brother! That 11 blade leaf is huge now. So far all the rest of the foliage looks normal and all the little pre-flowers I have been able to see are female.

Glad to see the little mutant doing well! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Yeah you and me both brother! That 11 blade leaf is huge now. So far all the rest of the foliage looks normal and all the little pre-flowers I have been able to see are female.

So maybe she's a mutant, but not totally worthless...told you I was going to keep my eye on this auto...It looks like the CO2 didn't hurt a thing - keep up the experiment - you gotta learn it somehow!

She is definitely proving her worth, specially now that she's trailblazing the way to my possibly regular use of CO2 supplementation. And, lets not forget there may be a nug or two that may yet come out of it.

My long time dream of providing the ideal environment for them is not dead after all, its just going to take a little learning. A challenge that lures me yet further in. I will most certainly keep up the experiment and will update regularly.

Its so true what they say.. smoking cannabis may not be addictive, but growing it certainly is!! The joy I get from doing all this is hard to match with anything else.

So maybe she's a mutant, but not totally worthless...told you I was going to keep my eye on this auto...It looks like the CO2 didn't hurt a thing - keep up the experiment - you gotta learn it somehow!

She is definitely proving her worth, specially now that she's trailblazing the way to my possibly regular use of CO2 supplementation. And, lets not forget there may be a nug or two that may yet come out of it.

My long time dream of providing the ideal environment for them is not dead after all, its just going to take a little learning. A challenge that lures me yet further in. I will most certainly keep up the experiment and will update regularly.

Its so true what they say.. smoking cannabis may not be addictive, but growing it certainly is!! The joy I get from doing all this is hard to match with anything else.

I'm surprised to feel sort-of the same way (!?!) I've come to be more interested/challenged by it than I thought I would be. And, I haven't even completed a grow!:laughtwo:

Hope the experimentation continues to go well for you. But if something goes wrong, just think of me dropping my plant in the bathtub or Retrogast stapling his back together

With barely the second 12 hour night behind us, the last dose of grow nutes was given today. From now on we switch bloom nutes.

They have a much healthier appetite now. The water in the reservoir seems to be completely gone when I water which is every other day. From here on they will be watered every day. I have to get to the store today and get at least 4 gallons of distilled water right away to get it bubbling and add nutes.

Impressions thus far

Bubba-Cheese — This pheno has turned out to be very slender, delicate looking and slow growing. As you can see from the pictures, although roughly the same size at purchase it has developed less of a plant than its counterpart. Unless the smoke is absolutely amazing, I do not see myself growing this strain again as I did not find it particularly fun to grow.

Blue Widow — This one has turned out to be an absolute pleasure to grow. Lush, gorgeous plant in veg. Grows fast and adapts quickly to training making LST quite effective. I look forward to some sweet bouquets from her. This one has a good chance of being grown again depending on end result.

Auto Dark Devil — This little automatic is a little off. She had one 11 blade leaf but otherwise seems fine. Her nodes are super tight! Her growth rate is pretty good now and she's staying nice and short. I am not crazy about automatics. This was a free seed and I wanted to try an auto for myself so it was a good time to grow one. And now it is serving a noble purpose in the hotbox experiment.

The Hotbox experiment continues today. Expect an update on that this evening at lights out. For now, here are some pictures of the ladies.

Luscious Lady Blue Widow

IMG_133019.JPG

IMG_132915.JPG

IMG_133112.JPG

IMG_133217.JPG

IMG_133419.JPG

IMG_133515.JPG

Auto Dark Devil

IMG_133613.JPG

IMG_133721.JPG

IMG_133816.JPG

Bubba-Cheese

IMG_134121.JPG

IMG_134325.JPG

IMG_134622.JPG

IMG_134523.JPG

Looking good seraphim. Really lush and green. The hotbox experiment is pretty cool.

The one area I see that might become an issue is heat in flower. This heat will make the plants a bit more spindly and not as thick when it comes to bud setting.. It will still grow dank just reduced yields is all. The co2 will help the plant along thru the heat.

Regardless I will be watching and trying to help when I can.

Back
Top Bottom