Shark Shock - Nebula & Holy Grail 69 - Beav's 2nd Grow

All info I could find said 62 to 69 days in flower. I see mostly brown pistils. Is she canabilizing her lower leaves? Do the buds look like they have fattened? I can't tell from the top views. It's always a crap shoot the first time or two you harvest a strain until you gain the experience and knowledge of the plant and how it is developing. I'd take a small sample, quick dry and test run it through the bong. That should give you an idea of how ripe she is.
The pistols are all dark and the buds are fat (at least for my grow room :) but the lower leaves are still green. There are 3 larger colas nearly the length of a Coke can.

You can't always go by the calendar. I have one in my tents that was just harvested early yesterday, my Green Crack. She was ready, although officially the harvest window did not open for another week. Why? This plant was always in the center of my room, directly under the hood and in the path of the best airflow through the tent.

I tried to resist the urge to harvest early, but all the signs were there. The buds had chunked out and were now foxtailing a bit, all the pistils had turned dark, even at the tip top of all the buds, and looking with the jewelers loupe, it was obvious that amber was showing at a 25% rate, even at the very top. Knowing that the trichomes keep maturing up till curing has started, I convinced myself to pull a few days early, just on this one plant. It happens. Trust your eyes, not the calendar.
Thank you for weighting in on this one Emilya. So far I have been chopping them at this point but I' would like to push this one a little harder.

I never looked at the lower leaves before, but these are all still green.....should I assume (I hate that word) that the lower leaves will turn when I get closer? Somewhere I read that the harvest period AFTER reaching peak is longer and more forgiving that if you chop too soon. I think the point was you could wait 5-7 days past the prime and it wouldn't matter that much but chopping 1 or 2 days before peak was not forgiving, you got what you got at that point. If that's true I can afford to wait it out a little longer and I really would like to see the results first hand if I can do it without screwing it up.

:thanks:

Since you don't want any couch lock, I think I'd chop her.
If you can wait a day or two, maybe take a tester off and see how it is. It might help you decide. Otherwise, chop away, IMO.

Since you don't want any couch lock, I think I'd chop her.
If you can wait a day or two, maybe take a tester off and see how it is. It might help you decide. Otherwise, chop away, IMO.

Do you think I have time for 48 hours of dark before the chop?

Edit...Silly question, if I have time to wait 2 days for a tester I can wait two days for a dark period.

it all depends on your light penetration as to how the lower leaves go, and sometimes you see them mature before the upper stuff does...

I pay attention to the top of the plant, because that is also what is most important to our plants. When the top is done, I consider what is down below as what I am going to get... you can do progressive harvests and just take the top stuff, wait a week and come back for more... but it just adds additional time and expense to the grow and complication to the grow. I would just rather cut it off at some point and go with what I got. By the time it gets to the jars all this upper and lower and some more ripe than others all gets mixed together anyway... don't overthink it... at this point, it's all good. :)

Nice looking grow, Beaver:bravo:

I go through quite a few cycles of 'today is the day...' back to 'one more day'. It's a gut feel but I think whatever choice you make - it was the right one:high-five:

I'm trying to think if I did the 48 hr darkness thing the last two times I harvested. I don't think I did. The good news there is the smoke was just fine without the 48 hrs of darkness.:Namaste:

Nice looking grow, Beaver:bravo:

I go through quite a few cycles of 'today is the day...' back to 'one more day'. It's a gut feel but I think whatever choice you make - it was the right one:high-five:

I'm trying to think if I did the 48 hr darkness thing the last two times I harvested. I don't think I did. The good news there is the smoke was just fine without the 48 hrs of darkness.:Namaste:
Thanks for stopping by Golfer..... good to hear from you. I think I always get too excited when I start seeing amber so this time I forced myself to slow down and really watch whats happening a little closer. I have a feeling I've been harvesting just a little early so I'm looking forward to this one.
Great work Beav! Good luck with the harvest.
Thanks Max, I am hoping for a good cure. This is always an exciting time :thumb:

The Holy Grail was vegged it for 72 days and flowered for 58. It has been chopped and is drying now, I think it'll be a pretty good harvest for an inside grow and still in my Rookie Year :thumb:

The Nebula in the 15 gallon pot will probably take another 3-4 weeks - but things were getting kinda boring so I got in contact with of my buddies at Herbie's and started my next grow. If interested, you can check it out here The Beaver's Den - A Little Of This & Little Of That

I need some advise on this Holy Grail 69.
It has been under 12/12 for 51 days and it is already a good 15%-20% Amber
It SamSara says it should take 8-9 weeks but I'm afraid it's not gonna make it that long, as the last thing I want out of her is couch lock.
Should I keep going or start 48 hours of darkness? In other words.... do I believe the plant or the literature? I'm hoping some of you with a little more experience will look at the pics and be able to help me out here. (I did flush with a lil Molasses yesterday.)
Thanks.
HGb.jpg
31889.jpg
16693.jpg

it's been a long time since i smoke weed like this..only street shit..few weeks more...nice buds,Beav.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom