Should I limit my grow?

if you have never grow before you have a lot to learn, if your wanting to grow with out training but want big yield you will have to veg for alot longer, so if you veg a plant from seed to 10 weeks your looking at around 20 weeks all in, scrog your looking around 15 weeks but theres alot of training involved.

for the amount of time your looking at you might be best of getting a logit job and just doing up to 8 plants for yourself and that way you wont get that into trouble and you still get to keep your bottom intact, you could be looking up to 10 years in some states and maby more, so you may never see a legal state, question is, is it really worth a few $$$, being sensible is key, and police are clued up now more than ever.

and please if you do fill a house up with plants take pre-cautions and think of others, because if a fire breaks out you could easily take out 2 family's out either side of you, i no i couldnt live with this knowing that.

I know I have a lot more to learn but I also think that a lot of experience comes from hands on (asides the necessary studying, preparation and learning). But yeah, I mean I'm also just considering that but first I should make this clear. I over exaggerated a lil before. I wouldn't fill up a house or even an entire apartment. Just a bedroom maybe even just half a bedroom. Nothing OD crazy. And in what ways have cops gotten good at looking for it? And yeah trust me, I'm not sure I'd be able to continue living if my decisions took the life of another. I couldn't bare that thought. Fire safety is a big concern for me, and is the main reason I chose LED lights.

in what ways have cops gotten good at looking for it?

Years of experience for one thing. And common sense stuff like seeing an outbuilding with no snow on the roof.

A guy on Lopez Island, Washington, set up a greenhouse grow in a semirural setting. He put up electric fencing, which is not uncommon in the area, but he set it up so it was on the outside of the fenced-in area (to keep people out), not the inside (to keep animals in). Dumb. And he wasn't from the area, so he kind of stood out in a small community anyway.

I already mentioned my partying friend burning down his house with a grow in the basement.

A really big first step is just not to be stupid. ;)

i run a 4x8 tent and get great results from only 8 plants, its easy to control enviroment and can yield pretty good.

led is just as dangerous as hps, and your going to get less yield using a led.

led get quality buds where hps get better yield but still good quality.

plenty of people will help you out on here :thumb:

Years of experience for one thing. And common sense stuff like seeing an outbuilding with no snow on the roof.

A guy on Lopez Island, Washington, set up a greenhouse grow in a semirural setting. He put up electric fencing, which is not uncommon in the area, but he set it up so it was on the outside of the fenced-in area (to keep people out), not the inside (to keep animals in). Dumb. And he wasn't from the area, so he kind of stood out in a small community anyway.

I already mentioned my partying friend burning down his house with a grow in the basement.

A really big first step is just not to be stupid. ;)

Sounds like as long as I'm not stupid I'll be ok. I'd like to cover my electric footprint with a generator just to be safe. I would need a really quiet one or one that I could use indoors (if that even exists). Like a non gas-powered.

i run a 4x8 tent and get great results from only 8 plants, its easy to control enviroment and can yield pretty good.

led is just as dangerous as hps, and your going to get less yield using a led.

led get quality buds where hps get better yield but still good quality.

plenty of people will help you out on here :thumb:

If I used the scrog method , do you think I could still yield a pound from a plant? And is LED really just as dangerous? I always thought it was more fire safe. Maybe I'll just sleep there as well but that's risky.

they both get just as hot, a pound is alot for a first grower so i would say no, first time growers usually hit between 1-3 oz, like i said it takes time and effort and alot of learning, im still learning and im on my 4th grow.

What prevents a new grower from getting more? No knowledge of nutrients, soil, water, lights, humidity, temp, plant life cycle, care etc?

What prevents a new grower from getting more? No knowledge of nutrients, soil, water, lights, humidity, temp, plant life cycle, care etc?

I always remember part of Nebula Haze's advice to first-time growers: "So when you make mistakes--and you WILL make mistakes..." There are just a lot of moving parts to keep going at one time. A successful grow seems to me a good deal art in addition to the science and technology. Questions like, "How aggressively should I defoliate?" require experience and a feel as much as a recipe.

That said, there is SO much good info out there now that anyone with a couple of brain cells to rub together should be able to get a decent crop to come in the first time...

I always remember part of Nebula Haze's advice to first-time growers: "So when you make mistakes--and you WILL make mistakes..." There are just a lot of moving parts to keep going at one time. A successful grow seems to me a good deal art in addition to the science and technology. Questions like, "How aggressively should I defoliate?" require experience and a feel as much as a recipe.

That said, there is SO much good info out there now that anyone with a couple of brain cells to rub together should be able to get a decent crop to come in the first time...

Honestly that's what I figured and I like to think I have at least 2 to rub together haha. As long as I follow the recipe, do extensive research, watch tons of educational videos regarding yield I'm sure I can get a pretty good first one , maybe better than most would expect for me. I'm also sure experience and wisdom would help me perfect the craft, however I don't see it getting me substantially better yields unless I increase my wattage or something. At the end of the day there are only so many combinations and aleterations you can do and as long as you provide a dope environment, and lighting , follow the steps, and the strain genetics are good , you should get decent results. But maybe that's just my beginners hope

there are only so many combinations and aleterations you can do and as long as you provide a dope environment, and lighting , follow the steps, and the strain genetics are good , you should get decent results. But maybe that's just my beginners hope

No, you're right. Ultimately it's just a weed. One of the things that interests me is how much you can hotrod that weed's growth by catering to its every need. It's amazing. Now I can't help but apply the same techniques to my vegetables and flowers (and I've gotta say, they're looking awesome. ;))

One more thought: by all means keep a good grow journal. I keep mine on spreadsheets, along with daily photos. It's useful during the grow itself and it's really useful to be able to compare different grows.

No, you're right. Ultimately it's just a weed. One of the things that interests me is how much you can hotrod that weed's growth by catering to its every need. It's amazing. Now I can't help but apply the same techniques to my vegetables and flowers (and I've gotta say, they're looking awesome. ;))

One more thought: by all means keep a good grow journal. I keep mine on spreadsheets, along with daily photos. It's useful during the grow itself and it's really useful to be able to compare different grows.

Oh I agree I'm becoming more and more fascinated the more I learn. What a shame this plant is so scrutinized, and that even in legal states it's regulated so much. And yes! I was actually planning on it and taking notes on all details down to daily temp, humidity, soil moisture level, ph etc. and will also definitely have photos. I'll start a new thread when it comes to that time and I definitely hope to get your input during the process!

Btw I was doing research and actually just stumbled on defoliation, as well as other training methods. I think I'm going to top my plants to 3-4 nodes after about 6-8 nodes in, and then LST my plants to be mostly horizontal but not too wide at the same time (multiple plants sharing same light). I'll do that till about a month into flowering, maybe less. When it comes to defoliation I'm going to be very careful and do it as little as possible my first grow. I'll wait until right before I switch to flowering and just take a few of the unnecessary top fan leaves off. Every 7-10 days I'll check on it and if it looks a little bushy or like the top fan leaves are blocking light to the bottom flowers, I'll take em off. Like I said I'm going to keep it to a minimum until I really understand the plant more. And was thinking about adding blackstrap molasses last few weeks of flowering, to provide sugars to sweeten the taste and smell as well as add weight and size to the buds. Do I seem like I'm on the right track with all this?

Edited in: can defoliated leaves be used for hash/budder or does it only work with leaves that stayed on plant from growth to harvest? Also, I heard that plant height doubles during flowering. Is this true?
Also, what are your opinions on scrogging , v.s. LST ? And is it possible to defoliate if using a scrog? Sorry for all the questions.

Sounds like you're on the right track to me! Maybe dive in with one-plant pilot project?

I have never used molasses. I have a little plant out on my deck that's nearly ready for harvest so maybe I'll explore that option a bit... You can't use molasses with hydro, of course--or at least I have never heard of anyone doing it.

As for using defol'd leaves: there are leaves and there are leaves. A big fan leaf from the bottom of the plant won't have much THC, but the sugar leaves up at the top can have a lot! The naturopath I got my medical card from says to juice the leaves, but I have never tried that.

Yeah, plants definitely go through a growth spurt at flowering time. I have read that stativa strains can triple in height. People get into trouble with that. ;)

LST is absolutely essential. There's really not much to it. It's all just common sense and you get the hang of it very quickly. The training method I really want to try next is "manifolding" in which you really aggressively trim and train while the plant is in veg. That looks like a brilliant way to proceed, but it's not an option for autoflowers.

Ok dope! I was thinking about that but idk. May just do 3-4. I have 15 unopened seeds but I know they don't last forever. Oh yeah I keep forgetting you do the hydro.

So the fan leaves don't hold much thc or just the ones on the bottom don't?

And I'm thinking about Manifolding as well. Basically just topping a couple a times, correct? For LST I was thinking about putting metal hooks in the pots and then using plant ties. And then I guess when those cola's begin to grow up I'll let them grow threw scrog. Not exactly positive on how I'm going to do it considering it will be my first, but scrogs seem easy enough. Not sure if it's ideal to LST and scrog at the same time but it makes sense in my head.

Seeds kept in a cool, dark place (vegetable bin of the fridge) can last for years.
Fan leaves don't have much THC, however the leaves up around the buds do, which you can see because they get sticky and have trichomes. I have done hydro but have grown in soil and coco too, both indoors and outdoors. I don't know a lot, but I have been fooling with this stuff for a while... ;)
Regarding manifolding aka "mainlining": no, it's not just topping a couple of times. It's a very definite procedure to give what looks to me as the best possible growth pattern. Nebula Haze has a good discussion of it on her website, which I'd recommend. Very clear, as is all of her info.
LST: Yeah, you just need a good anchor point and some plant ties. The fancy plant ties with rubber coating (MiracleGro brand is what I have) are the best for not cutting through delicate tissues. You can LST and SCROG too.

Seeds kept in a cool, dark place (vegetable bin of the fridge) can last for years.
Fan leaves don't have much THC, however the leaves up around the buds do, which you can see because they get sticky and have trichomes. I have done hydro but have grown in soil and coco too, both indoors and outdoors. I don't know a lot, but I have been fooling with this stuff for a while... ;)
Regarding manifolding aka "mainlining": no, it's not just topping a couple of times. It's a very definite procedure to give what looks to me as the best possible growth pattern. Nebula Haze has a good discussion of it on her website, which I'd recommend. Very clear, as is all of her info.
LST: Yeah, you just need a good anchor point and some plant ties. The fancy plant ties with rubber coating (MiracleGro brand is what I have) are the best for not cutting through delicate tissues. You can LST and SCROG too.

Ok cool so I'll be ok. You seem like you know your stuff though I trust your word.

And ok I definitely gotta check those out. Didn't know Nebula Haze was female that's so dope she really knows her stuff as well I've read some of her articles. Actually she's where I learned about defoliating.

What do you do after the part you tied starts growing again? Do you tie it to the same anchor or a different one? At what point do you SCROG? Do you defoliate AND scrog ?

Also, just curious, what cities or towns allow the most cultivation for someone without a large cultivation license(I'd like one of those but I've heard they are 300 grand min so that's out the question ) ? Cali would be dope. I just wanna go somewhere where they allow a decent amount of cultivation. I'm more of a city person as well, though I'm open minded. If you know of any I'd appreciate it!

Didn't know Nebula Haze was female that's so dope she really knows her stuff as well I've read some of her articles.

She's a cutie. Her site is just amazingly good.

What do you do after the part you tied starts growing again? Do you tie it to the same anchor or a different one? At what point do you SCROG? Do you defoliate AND scrog!

Training reminds me a lot of the Japanese art of bonsai. You snip here, you bend there, you train and retrain. It can be kind of a fun exercise. And since it's ongoing (and time consuming), it pays to make doing it as easy as possible (easy access to plants, good quality wire--love that MiracleGro-brand wire--and lots of anchor points).

The plant starts as this delicate little green wisp, but soon its fibrous, hempy nature takes over and the delicate branches you tied down are tough and resistant. For my last grow, I glued hardware cloth to the top of my hydro reservoir, but the plant eventually pulled it off. She was mighty!

I'm a scrog virgin, but I don't see any reason you cant defol with scrog. All of the training tricks are just tools in your toolbox and are pretty much complementary.

what cities or towns allow the most cultivation for someone without a large cultivation license(I'd like one of those but I've heard they are 300 grand min so that's out the question ) ? Cali would be dope. I just wanna go somewhere where they allow a decent amount of cultivation. I'm more of a city person as well, though I'm open minded. If you know of any I'd appreciate it!

All I can tell you from experience is that Washington does not allow any cultivation unless you have a medical form from a doctor ($100 office visit). With a medical form, you can grow five plants without going on the grower database and 15 plants if you do. Getting on the grower database is a separate step that I haven't bothered with. I just grow for my own use, and even a few small healthy plants can produce a lot of bud! Oh, and along with the limits on how many plants you can have, there are also some pretty major restrictions on how much medicine you can have in your household. Not that much! The goal is to let patients have access to the healing herb, not to set up a parallel growing industry. (And of course that cracker Jeff Sessions says that cannabis is "just as bad" as heroin and wants to come after us... the Trump tragicomedy just keeps blowing my mind with its incessant stupidity. End of rant.)

I lived in California years ago. It has a lot going for it, but it's crowded and expensive and there are a lot of crazy f**kers living there, especially in the south. I hear ya about city life, although now with books, movies, and information readily available on the Internet, living in the sticks doesn't sound so bad. It would sure be cheaper than paying a quarter million for a one-bedroom... ;)

I respect the hell out of her for sure. And she said scrogging is inconsistent and if she says that and if you never used it; I almost don't want to haha. We'll see. And oh yeah I can't stand trump thank god we're on the same page with that. Dude seriously thank you for everything forreal, been extremely helpful. What happens when you go on a growers database? And yeah man , the area I'm from can be pretty rough too. Not terribly worried. I been to La before, I know how crazy ppl are but they just as crazy by me trust me! Haha. Maybe North Cali is a good fit. They seem to allow more plants. I've been to Washington in Seattle before, loved it there.

Seattle is lovely at this time of year. It's dark, wet, and brooding for the other eight months.

Way northern Cal or way southern Oregon on the coast might be interesting somewhere. Humboldt County, man! Rural pot farmer! ;)

I used to ride a motorcycle up Highway 1 on the California coast and loved the country just north of San Francisco.

I don't know what happens exactly when you go on the growers database, but I don't like the sound of it--too much Big Data for me.

I'm glad if anything I had to say was of any use. I enjoyed the chat!

Seattle is lovely at this time of year. It's dark, wet, and brooding for the other eight months.

Way northern Cal or way southern Oregon on the coast might be interesting somewhere. Humboldt County, man! Rural pot farmer! ;)

I used to ride a motorcycle up Highway 1 on the California coast and loved the country just north of San Francisco.

I don't know what happens exactly when you go on the growers database, but I don't like the sound of it--too much Big Data for me.

I'm glad if anything I had to say was of any use. I enjoyed the chat!

I went in December and it was surprisingly nice considering the stereotypical weather. And idk if I could do it man I mean it depends. If I can grow like 200 plants and authorities not bat an eye, then yeah I can do it. But if I'm limited to 20 plants or something I'm not sure I'd want to do it. I'd rather be limited in the city. But hey, my tastes could change who knows. And yeah me either but if it means finally no more being paranoid , then maybe I'd be ok with it. It all depends I guess. And yeah you def did! Helped me look a Lil deeper and think harder! Appreciate it again, I definitely enjoyed our convo as well!

Back
Top Bottom