Single seeds found with no male flower

MotaMan420

Hey everyone -- just a quick question revisited.. In some recent grows I've found single seeds at the base of buds where they connect to main stem. I've germinated them and they do turn out females..

My questions is -- how can a seed develop without any male flowers around.?? And no , no hermies found. Some plants were dwarfed so I knew each branch and bud -- no male flowers at all..

And please don't try and say it's random pollen - my outdoors grows are just four plants so I know each plant. Plus I've had this happen to some indoor grows too. There has to be some explanation my fellow grow guru's ..

Happy Growing

MotaMan

I have seen a single male flower tucked into a bud of nothing else but female flower. Only the tip of the male flower shows so only about 15 to 20% of that male flower might be showing.

Definitely not as easy to see as when a small female bud will have several male flowers sticking out far enough that the entire thing can be seen. Look for them in those small buds that some people throw away because they think they are not worth harvesting. Start at the bottom of the plant and work up. I have seen a single one in those large top buds too but that is a bit on the rare side.

Earlier this year someone posted several photos of what they had found. I tried to get a decent photo but with just the very end showing it was hard to get the right photo.

The clump of balls, or even a single ball, that are the traditional sign of male flowers will not be be seen.

I have stressed female plants using a light method to self pollinate and produce seeds. Yours may not be from stress, but it is possible and common for a female plant that is at the end of their life cycle to produce a few seeds in an attempt to keep the reproduction cycle going. I have allowed female plants to go well beyond harvest time and found seeds. The ability to switch sexes, like some animals do. Keep life going no matter what!

Those nanners in the photo are very fresh, as they mature they will darken and turn yellowish. I had so many photos of this process a few years ago, but don't remember what year.

BTW, Thanks @Joe Brewster

it's possible it rodelized but it's unlikely. hate even mentioning it as everyone with crap hermies then wants to claim that.

it's possible it rodelized but it's unlikely. hate even mentioning it as everyone with crap hermies then wants to claim that.
I have been thinking that the plants that end up with one or two or a few seeds are more likely to be on the plants that Rodelized (another made up word). The "crap Hermies" as you put it are the plants that start to show some male flowers within a few weeks of flowering starting and just keep producing them on some sort of weird schedule until the end.

Thanks for all the great input -- but I'd have to ask -- I see the male flower - if it erupts -- it sends out hundreds of pollen grains from a single ball , wouldn't more than one seed be produced either throughout the bud itself or in the vicinity of the male organ?

Thanks again

MotaMan

I have been thinking that the plants that end up with one or two or a few seeds are more likely to be on the plants that Rodelized (another made up word). The "crap Hermies" as you put it are the plants that start to show some male flowers within a few weeks of flowering starting and just keep producing them on some sort of weird schedule until the end.

a plant that hermies is different from a plant that rodelizes. hermaphrodites develop as dual sex from the outset of flower, with little or no encouragement, and the male flowers will be throughout the plant.

a rodelized plant only develops one or two male flowers very late in development when it is past the point of maturity. a rodelized plant has to be pushed into creating the male flowers. letting it run very very long past maturity in flower while supplying intense lighting is the most common method.

hermies will produce lots of seed, primarily other hermies, with a few fems and males. rodelized plants always produce female seed, but very few.

Thanks for all the great input -- but I'd have to ask -- I see the male flower - if it erupts -- it sends out hundreds of pollen grains from a single ball , wouldn't more than one seed be produced either throughout the bud itself or in the vicinity of the male organ?

a hermie will produce tons of seed since it develops from the outset of maturity. a rodelized plant will only muster a couple, since the male flower only shows up once the majority of the female bud is past the point of being successfully pollinated.

And I just saw the photo of the month --- and I beg to differ -- I believe MY 8' monster is better.

MotaMan

IMG_3483.JPEG

And I just saw the photo of the month --- and I beg to differ -- I believe MY 8' monster is better.

can't win when you don't enter lol

And please don't try and say it's random pollen - my outdoors grows are just four plants so I know each plant. Plus I've had this happen to some indoor grows too. There has to be some explanation my fellow grow guru's ..
Don't just dismiss random pollen. Pollen is very light and can travel miles on the breeze so a neighbor's plant could pollinate your outdoor grow almost as easily as a plant in your own yard.

That said, with so few seeds it's much more likely you had some male flowers develop in a bud and those can be very hard to see and you almost never can find them all. I had some develop on lower popcorn type buds shortly after flip, but they never progressed from there. At least as far as I know but I guess I'll find out at harvest.

Thanks again

MotaMan

This depends on what caused the male flower to show for starters. Plus, the pollen from a male flower in a female plant does not travel the same distances that normal pollen does. If a male flower is buried in the bud it will be restricted in where it can release its pollen.

Thanks again for the information -- so now we have a better understanding of single seed production.. Outside of getting clones in seed form ( if you like the strain) - is there a reason that this occurs ? and can it be prevented ?

Happy Growing

MotaMan

Thanks again for the information -- so now we have a better understanding of single seed production.. Outside of getting clones in seed form ( if you like the strain) - is there a reason that this occurs ? and can it be prevented ?

Happy Growing

MotaMan

If it’s not genetics causing it then it’s usually some form of stress. Light pollution during flower, nutrient burn, hunger, late harvest, etc. The problem is figuring out if it’s in the DNA or something in your environment.

Back
Top Bottom