Soil, Cabinet, CFL, Supercrop, FIM 1st Grow

I FIM'd one of my bubba kush plants but i don't think i did it right since i only got 2 tops. Thanks for the link to a tutorial.

I FIM'd one of my bubba kush plants but i don't think i did it right since i only got 2 tops. Thanks for the link to a tutorial.

There's a great thread on topping which guarantees 4 colas. I was having a hard time understanding what he did exactly, but now I get it. In this technique you let the plant grow to 5 nodes and then you cut the plant just above the 2nd true node. So, you lose 3 nodes of growth, but if you're taking clones, I guess it's not so bad.

The part I was confused about was the "true node." So, he's counting from the bottom. I would have liked to try it, but all my plants are too big at this point. I mean, I could still do it on my youngest plants, but throwing away 5 nodes of growth doesn't seem worth it. Especially when I might get 4 colas FIM'ing which barely removes any growth.

It's too bad someone hasn't experimented and figured out how exactly how to FIM to get 4 colas. Well maybe they have, I just haven't found their thread yet :peace:

Well i didn't know about the only take 80% part. I took about 95% so that musta been the problem.

I've read a couple of times that it's important to have your plants do 24-48 hours of darkness before switching to 12/12.

I intend on doing that because it was made to sound so important, but I haven't heard an explanation of why that's important.

I did read one journal where the guy was claiming that his plants sex'd almost immediately by doing that. Can anyone tell me more or refer me to a thread discussing it?

Thanks! :peace:

I've read a couple of times that it's important to have your plants do 24-48 hours of darkness before switching to 12/12.

I intend on doing that because it was made to sound so important, but I haven't heard an explanation of why that's important.

I did read one journal where the guy was claiming that his plants sex'd almost immediately by doing that. Can anyone tell me more or refer me to a thread discussing it?

Thanks! :peace:

A lot of the growers are doing it. I don't remember off hand what the benefit is. I'm in the middle of something or I'd look it up for ya (I'm on a break from playing the 'Dark Tower' game with my wife, her sister just called so could be a few minutes LOL). I didn't extend the darkness time on my grow, and they took forever to show their sex. Now its two weeks and except for one of my plants the other two are not in any hurry to progress! Still need a microscope to find a couple of hairs! Odd as by this time, some plants would be having hairs all over.

Here smoke one with me
:passitleft: until the wife is ready to play!:Rasta:

A lot of the growers are doing it. I don't remember off hand what the benefit is. I'm in the middle of something or I'd look it up for ya (I'm on a break from playing the 'Dark Tower' game with my wife, her sister just called so could be a few minutes LOL). I didn't extend the darkness time on my grow, and they took forever to show their sex. Now its two weeks and except for one of my plants the other two are not in any hurry to progress! Still need a microscope to find a couple of hairs! Odd as by this time, some plants would be having hairs all over.

Here smoke one with me

Hey Woodsman, I'm glad to see you're having fun with the wife. Btw, I was checking out your Mazar grow and I'm curious what exactly did you do to get what looked like a plant composed of 4 very long colas and not too much else??? Did you top to get those colas? I saw the LST, is that what made that funky cola tree? Can we smoke a Mazar bowl? :yummy:

Ya got ta love google, I found long threads on this dark period before flowering. Pretty intense debates by some very experienced growers. Strangely not discussed on 420 much. It seemed to me that overall there were more people that found it helpful than those who didn't buy into it. Someone quoted Jorge Cervantes as saying some growers recommend it, but that it's not necessary. However, he (Jorge) found that flowering will occur about 3 days earlier with this method.

I'll take Jorge's word for that and with a CFL grow, getting an edge on flowering seems worth while to me. I know I'll go bonkers if I'm 2 weeks into 12/12 without signs of sex. :Rasta:

Hey Woodsman, I'm glad to see you're having fun with the wife. Btw, I was checking out your Mazar grow and I'm curious what exactly did you do to get what looked like a plant composed of 4 very long colas and not too much else??? Did you top to get those colas? I saw the LST, is that what made that funky cola tree? Can we smoke a Mazar bowl? :yummy:

Ya got ta love google, I found long threads on this dark period before flowering. Pretty intense debates by some very experienced growers. Strangely not discussed on 420 much. It seemed to me that overall there were more people that found it helpful than those who didn't buy into it. Someone quoted Jorge Cervantes as saying some growers recommend it, but that it's not necessary. However, he (Jorge) found that flowering will occur about 3 days earlier with this method.

I'll take Jorge's word for that and with a CFL grow, getting an edge on flowering seems worth while to me. I know I'll go bonkers if I'm 2 weeks into 12/12 without signs of sex. :Rasta:

Well heck if I'd known that it could flower three days sooner, I'd have given them three days of dark! LOL.

On the Mazar I just topped at the third third or fourth node (don't remember exactly) and If you do it just right, you can get several new branches comin out. I just pinch the new growth (kind of squish it) and by the time everything starts growing again, I've got a few branches comin up from there and below. I tied down the 'six' new branches that I got on her and just kept them spread out to the sides. that gave me a nice 'bowl effect' and allowed the light (I just had one 100w hps) to penetrate to the inside edge of each branch. The light sat right over the center of the 'bowl'. Kind of what I try to do outside. That way (outside) I can get a nice bush instead of a tree and get light all the way inside the plant. I keep the branches tied down for the whole grow or they would start to grow toward the light,

Here smoke one with me

What is this "Dark Tower" game you speak of? Based off of the King series i assume?

What is this "Dark Tower" game you speak of? Based off of the King series i assume?

No has nothing to do with King. Made by Milton Bradley in 1981. It's now a collectors item. Like three hundred $$+ on ebay. Not sure, but the Dark Tower is most likely in reference to Saurons Tower from Tolkien. I've had it since it came out and has never stopped being a 'kick' to play!

Heres on from eBay :1981 Milton Bradley Game DARK TOWER - eBay (item 180476978491 end time Mar-11-10 08:tommy:25 PST)

Looks like it is right up my alley:ganjamon: Try getting most kids today to play that. Is it turn based strategy or ? I used to play a lot of war themed turn based strategy games with my dad. It was loads of fun. Like the table top kind with a huge hex map of Europe that you recreated WW2 or whatever on. Was also a D&D nerd for most of my life :bong:

Looks like it is right up my alley:ganjamon: Try getting most kids today to play that. Is it turn based strategy or ? I used to play a lot of war themed turn based strategy games with my dad. It was loads of fun. Like the table top kind with a huge hex map of Europe that you recreated WW2 or whatever on. Was also a D&D nerd for most of my life :bong:

The tower in the center is turned to face each of the players in turn. There is a long vertically inclined window on it. Below it is a keypad with various move 'choices'. The choices are somewhat dependent on your spot on the board. The object is to circle the board and return to your 'Kingdom' to attack and defeat the forces that are in the Dark Tower. The Tower itself is a mechanical computer type (1981) and very simple with a battery driven motor that turns the cylinder inside that has the different moves, choices, and outcomes. Skill and luck combined. Great game even now, but your right kids today may not appreciate it as much as adults would.. I was 24 yrs old when I bought it in '81 and it was a very popular past time amongst my friends and I. A very excellent 'Smokers' game. I wish I had some of the stuff that we used to smoke now! Must have smoked a few pounds of good California green bud while playing the game.

You were thinking of Risk i believe.

The tower in the center is turned to face each of the players in turn. There is a long vertically inclined window on it. Below it is a keypad with various move 'choices'. The choices are somewhat dependent on your spot on the board. The object is to circle the board and return to your 'Kingdom' to attack and defeat the forces that are in the Dark Tower. The Tower itself is a mechanical computer type (1981) and very simple with a battery driven motor that turns the cylinder inside that has the different moves, choices, and outcomes. Skill and luck combined. Great game even now, but your right kids today may not appreciate it as much as adults would.. I was 24 yrs old when I bought it in '81 and it was a very popular past time amongst my friends and I. A very excellent 'Smokers' game. I wish I had some of the stuff that we used to smoke now! Must have smoked a few pounds of good California green bud while playing the game.

You were thinking of Risk i believe.

Sounds interesting. A group of friends and i get together a few times a month to play Risk actually. Thats a good stoner game to lol. Dark Tower sounds pretty fun.:peace:

Seems that since the led tests began, now we're testing all kinds of stuff. Now , i've grown my share of gorrilla weed, and let me tell ya, you can't always get back to it on time. I remember when I was still driving truck, I put some seeds in a few spots around this motel , in may and turns out i did'nt get back to Tn., there till last of oct., and The buds was like burnt toast, but i took em and it was great smoke. Practically smokeable right off the plant. I have had weed growing at many motels around the country. I agree that sometimes we get too technical here, but that's how we learn. Personally, I hav'nt had any bad weed, no matter when you harvest, as long as the genetics are good. But i'd also like to see that test !! You're elected to do it !!

Seems that since the led tests began, now we're testing all kinds of stuff. Now , i've grown my share of gorrilla weed, and let me tell ya, you can't always get back to it on time. I remember when I was still driving truck, I put some seeds in a few spots around this motel , in may and turns out i did'nt get back to Tn., there till last of oct., and The buds was like burnt toast, but i took em and it was great smoke. Practically smokeable right off the plant. I have had weed growing at many motels around the country. I agree that sometimes we get too technical here, but that's how we learn. Personally, I hav'nt had any bad weed, no matter when you harvest, as long as the genetics are good. But i'd also like to see that test !! You're elected to do it !!

Damn, my journal has been hijacked by stoner nerds. And who is Slowpuffer responding to????

Was feeding my plants today and saw a couple of gnats. :thedoubletake: I killed one and saw another. I was surprised as I thought that only happened to Miracle grow soil people.

Well, it must be early because I only saw the 2 fuckers and nothing among the 3 other pots. Is there something I should do now in the early stage? Was thinking of taking a blow torch to the hydrotron balls. But seriously is there something that would be more effective now, rather than later?

Hmmm... now that I'm thinking about it. When I've had house plants infested with gnats, I put liquid soap in a small cup of water and placed it next to the plant. The gnats drown in the water because of the surfactant effect of the soap. I guess I'll do that right now.

Back
Top Bottom