Spring Random Photoperiod Experiment

Inca's top came off while I was watering PAT and not in an "oh it'll bounce back" type of way. Nope. :straightface: He/she is sitting by the window recouping.

Am now anxious to flower, and suspect I will now be gravely disappointed if PAT is not female. Shit. PAT has been a wonderful cannabis plant who has done all that I have asked of him/her with grace.

Lakshmi looks healthy, but stretched a bit too much while sprouting and has a spindly stem. I'm afraid to touch her ATM. She'll be three weeks Friday. Wondering how she'll do if rushed a bit...

I've been switching the lights over to blue spectrum veg in the evening about an hour before lights out due to heat and stress. So far I have not had to raise the lights and they remain 22-23" from canopies.

Mainly I am sleeping and eating and catching up on other-world blogs, but yesterday was an outdoor day and made an outdoor garden on the patio. Poppies for one. I have reduced pharmaceuticals another step. Sleeping and eating. Peanut butter and broccoli and apple cider. They say eat what you crave or is that only for pregnant women (!!??)

:rofl: Starting to feel like a human...maybe...:rofl:

Happy Spring :partyboy:

Feeling human again, huh Cat? Good for you! No flowers for me yet. I took another cutting so I am kinda waiting to see if that is going to take or what. And I am a bit undecided as to what to do with her if she does root. I don't have a separate area for veg, so I will see if Sweetleef will take her until I am ready to get her back. Sweetleef, if you're reading this, I have a favor to ask you!

So, is poor Inca in bad shape? Come on Girlie-PAT! When is 'flip-to-flower' day?

Week 7 - 3 Update:

Preemptive strike against lock out. Checked PH and sure enough PAT and little Lakshmi were down in the 4.5 range, so it was a day of bringing it back up, a feeding, and preparing the office for 12/12. A lot of electrical tape on computer parts and power strips.

Inca is in hospice out in my "garden." That Nettles plant now has Inca's old big pot. Bet this Nettles is Stavia dominant or something. It just doesn't look right, but it is green and growing! I didn't remember to get a photo of it this go round

Lakshmi now 3 weeks old has been topped.

WK_7_3_4_.jpg

PAT is now 7 weeks. Here is before and after PH adjustment and feeding

WK_7_3_7_.jpg

WK_7_3_11_.jpg

One of PAT's two tops came off maybe Wednesday. Closet is too small for all this malarkey. Anxious for PAT to declare sex. I'll bet you a thousand dollars big ol' PAT is male and fussy Nettles will be female. It's fate.

:straightface:

Or, it may be that Lakshmi the Feminized Freebie will be the only female

The closet. Nettles the weird plant is lower left.

WK_7_3_16_.jpg

Next update they will probably have started 12/12. They say it takes about 2 weeks before sex declares? Sort of rudderless with out the automatic aspect to rely on...Read a lot, but that doesn't always translate into knowing something

:lot-o-toke:

Thanks for stopping by
:peace:

Hiya catman....

The effort is defo paying off... You have some nicely controlled plants there matey..

I do hope you get some girlies...

Well done on the pre-emptive strike... Caught a problem before it showed itself.. :thumb:

You should see sexing after 2 weeks... I had bag seed and forced em to show sex by going 12/12... Had a male, bugger !!

Keep up the good work... As for reading loads, you will surprised how much the sub-conscious takes in.... And look how far you have come already... You've got a gang of followers on your journals, you must be doing summin right fella :circle-of-love:

Have a great weekend vaped crusader

:Namaste:

Hiya catman....

The effort is defo paying off... You have some nicely controlled plants there matey..

I do hope you get some girlies...

Well done on the pre-emptive strike... Caught a problem before it showed itself.. :thumb:

You should see sexing after 2 weeks... I had bag seed and forced em to show sex by going 12/12... Had a male, bugger !!

Keep up the good work... As for reading loads, you will surprised how much the sub-conscious takes in.... And look how far you have come already... You've got a gang of followers on your journals, you must be doing summin right fella :circle-of-love:

Have a great weekend vaped crusader

:Namaste:

Hey Budworshipper good to see you and your positive vibe. I've been on a 420 bummer due to so many familiar faces disappearing here and there, but that must be the 420 way of it! If you're ever up and running again let me know :peace:

I am hoping I can become better equipped to handle photoperiods because there are so many more strains to choose from and some seem like pretty good meds.

Here's hoping we have years to perfect what works for us :high-five:

Hey Budworshipper good to see you and your positive vibe. I've been on a 420 bummer due to so many familiar faces disappearing here and there, but that must be the 420 way of it! If you're ever up and running again let me know :peace:

I am hoping I can become better equipped to handle photoperiods because there are so many more strains to choose from and some seem like pretty good meds.

Here's hoping we have years to perfect what works for us :high-five:

Sorry I have not been around Catman... looks awesome in here

Sorry I have not been around Catman... looks awesome in here

Hey thanks for stopping by Buckshot :peace: Watching your journal progress is a big help to me :)

When I started up this journal I did not "advertise" around or anything because keeping up with a journal is hard so don't worry about being around I've been lurking around 420 to keep myself company because I'm still a nervous grower :)

Seems like people come and go on 420 and I miss a few favorites - Leave it to me to find a "melancholy moment" :rofl:

Hope spring time is treating you well and replenishing your spirit. I'm getting as much of it as I can :Namaste:

Refashioned the closet to allow for better air circulation. Humidity here has become a problem this week.

I can tell a big difference between the two LEDs and so once I see who is what sex I may be able to move the closet/lights back the way they were. The little Mars Hydro needs partnered with the Advanced light to be effective.

7_3_Switch_4_.jpg

I am pretending to clone the top of PAT that snapped off and a fan leaf from Inca. Man, Inca smelled so good.

7_3_Switch_3_.jpg

:rollit:

I'm sure you've said before, but, what type of Advanced light do you have?

Another question. With the amount of foliage you have now, how high are you keeping your lights?

I'm sure you've said before, but, what type of Advanced light do you have?

Another question. With the amount of foliage you have now, how high are you keeping your lights?

Hey Colesdad good to see you. The Advanced is the smallest: DS100 - 100w "diamond series." It is the one thing I was willing to spend the cash on. It seems really well made and, so far, has produced some decent bud.

The lights have been staying between 22" to 24" from canopy. Due to height constraints plants have been closer in past grows, but they've suffered some bleaching from it.

I think the biggest key for me thus far has been learning how to keep plants from sitting in damp soil.

I got these cheap plastic pots from walmartz and drilled a shit-ton of holes in them to try and emulate "air pots." This strategy seemed effective so far. Also, this is the first grow I've not hovered about watering and have even forgotten to check the soil for days.

Take it easy and thanks for stopping in :cheer:

Continued PH Problems

So today was supposed to be the day I switched the lighting schedule over to 12/12 starting with an extended lights out period. I had a look at each plant to make sure they weren't too dry and clear foliage from the bottom of the plants to help the soil dry.

PAT needed some watering and her leaves looked pale-ish so I took the opportunity to feed with a low dose of flower nutrient.
The PH going in was a nice 6.5, but run off is 4.5.

I need to seriously reconsider my growing medium at this point.

Photos even though I just did an update:

Nettles

N_12_12_3_.jpg

N_12_12_4_.jpg

Lakshmi

L_12_12_9_.jpg

L_12_12_10_.jpg

PAT

P_12_12_3_.jpg

P_12_12_1_.jpg

Reading around I see a good solution would be dolomite lime in the soil? Also ran into this topic with FFHF soil...I don't know.

I've got some cannabis meds left for a bit of time. I'm down to mainly night time Rx so maybe if things don't work out I'll lay off growing until after I move and read up more. It's really is discouraging to train a plant for weeks only to lose it to mis-managed PH (i'd rather lose a plat to being male by far). Trying to stay-on-the-cheap may not be doable for me right now as I'm trying to avoid expensive PH equipment [I use water test strips] and expensive nutrients.

It's a wait and see thing right now as I am too tired to think

:peace::420::peace:

No photos of Inca? I hope she is recovering OK from the topping mishap.

No worries about the pH; you will get it under control and the ladies will be fine. Sometimes I think we over-care for them; they actually are like weeds and usually will find a way to survive (and thrive). Good luck, Catman!

Road trip for new/different soil. FF Ocean forest. It's supposed to be created with proper PH [6.5]. Re-potting was a challenge :)

I had misgivings about both leaving them in that soil or risking a re-pot. Ultimately I repotted due to the logic of I would rather have a relaxed flowering with fresh soil than continued flushing and monitoring a sickly flowering.

PAT looked pretty bad after but was standing tall and lush next morning - Still waiting before claiming success :peace:

Re_Pot.jpg

No photos of Inca? I hope she is recovering OK from the topping mishap.

No worries about the pH; you will get it under control and the ladies will be fine. Sometimes I think we over-care for them; they actually are like weeds and usually will find a way to survive (and thrive). Good luck, Catman!

Sorry tokezilla Inca didn't make it. She's in hospice out in the ground cover.
Can't bear to throw an honorable plant in the trash :Namaste:

Sorry about the ph issues, Catman. And the re-pot! I think the hassle of that is better than the ongoing battle of ph problems through flower, good call. I think they will thank you for it!! It's a lot of work to grow a weed! :cheesygrinsmiley::rofl:

Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :green_heart:

Photo Update Weeks 4 and 8 But Late :rofl: :

Can't remember the dates, but just came out of a 36 hours of dark then flipped to 12/12 for a couple nights now. PAT and Lakshmi the Freebie emerged from the dark period perky and healthy, but Nettles was drooping. Both PAT and Lakshmi the Freebie needed some water next day, but Nettles remained damp from transplant as if her roots weren't taking up moisture. I aerated it's soil and it was somewhat perkier next day, but still waiting to see if Nettles makes it. Waiting for both Pat and Nettles to declare sex. Remember the Freebie is supposed to be feminized and I dropped her in soil concerned I'd not have a bagseed female and hence no meds.

Anyway, Here is PAT week 8. Transplanted, shifted to flowering phase, and continuing to be hearty. Just hoping PAT is female so I can witness her flowering process...:dreamy:

WK_8_4_1_.jpg

Lakshmi the Freebie week 4 just prior to watering - I admire her symmetry. She's been topped once:

WK_8_4_3_.jpg

Droopy Nettles week 8. Can see she has recovered a bit in the last closet photo:

WK_8_4_4_.jpg

Raised the lights from 17" to 22" - Plants seem to like the Ocean Forest. Office is starting to stink of fertilized organic soil and stenchy cannabis. Hope it doesn't get too bad. Negotiating with roommate to run AC more when flowering begins (at least in the freebie hopefully) to keep RH low enough.

Closet today:

WK_8_4_9_.jpg

Thanks for stopping by. Hope your Memorial weekend was good, honorable, and safe

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom