Stevehman's 780W LED - DIY 4 in PVC Recirc - Caramlicious Grow

Re: Stevehman's 780W LED, DIY 4 in PVC Recirc, Caramlicious Grow

but jsut tonigth I had to throw them away when I saw frozen gross ass fungus looking stuff in one of the bottles and realized im probably re introducing this gross virus after every rez change through these stupid frozen water bottles. So Tomorrow i'm buying new water bottles and changing both rez's and getting paid tomorrow and buying a zyme for veg. Let me know if you have any in mind.

Take it easy dude.
Hydro

You also didn't mention not to put rubbing alcohol on your hands if you have multiple cuts from climbing, that shit stings.

I use Hygrozyme through the whole grow process, no limitation on veg or bloom. Just a 1/2 a capful once a week to keep stuff in check.

On the water bottles, fill them with a little bleach water to kill any bacteria inside and then give the whole bottle a soak in a bucket of bleach water to kill anything on the outside.

If you are feeling creative you can create cooling coils for each of your buckets using copper tubing. I use a cooling coil for cooling down my wort when brewing beer and its efficient. Just put about 10-12 feet of coil in each bucket and hook that to your chiller. then fill the lines with R/O water and recirculate it in a closed system so that you don't cross-contaminate your nutes. You could use a small ice chest as your cooler res, put some H2O2 in it to keep slime down. It should keep your temps steady then.

You also didn't mention not to put rubbing alcohol on your hands if you have multiple cuts from climbing, that shit stings.

I use Hygrozyme through the whole grow process, no limitation on veg or bloom. Just a 1/2 a capful once a week to keep stuff in check.

I use a cooling coil for cooling down my wort when brewing beer and its efficient. Just put about 10-12 feet of coil in each bucket and hook that to your chiller. then fill the lines with R/O water and recirculate it in a closed system so that you don't cross-contaminate your nutes. You could use a small ice chest as your cooler res, put some H2O2 in it to keep slime down. It should keep your temps steady then.

Lol, sorry about the hands getting burned had I known they were all cut up I would have said something :), you gatta admit though it definitely works well on resin.

Steve your brilliant! Its obvious that my chiller can handle much more than it is at the moment, as its only dealing with 3 gallons, so that coil idea is killer! I am definitely going to do that and maybe post a video of how I do it or something. I have to get paid first to buy supplies so I better get back to work here pretty quick so I can turn in some videos tonight but I also had one more question for you:

So now that im coming down the last stretch of my first solo hydroponics grow, I am pondering more and more about how and when I am going to flush this girl. My last plant which was a co op between me and my room mate was harvest on day 60 exactly. He was gone on a trip between days 38 and 55 of flower and when he got back he wanted to chop her right then, I was prepared and still to this day feel she could have def. used atleast an extra week, so im taking this girl up to day 70 or 75 for harvest (i've heard c02 extends harvest date with most strains so it may take even longer since last play only had crappy DIY c02 aka sugar and yiest mixed in water). So im wondering how you flush? one or two weeks before harvest? What products if any do you use for flush, like a flushing agent and i've also heard that some time down the end stretch your suppose to drop your res temps like waaayyyyy fucking low like 55 deg or something not sure if that was the last stretch or durring flush.

As you can see im not very knowledgeable when it comes to flushing so any information would be really helpful!!!

Thanks steve man I really appreciate it!

Take it easy.

Hydrologist.

Hydro, I didn't do a real flush on the last grow. I just tapered off on the nutes gradually. I read several posts both pro and con and decided to just taper down. Now that I have a good chiller I will have to learn more about the temps for finishing to see if there's an ideal range.

I basically just follow the feeding chart on the CES nutes and they just reduce the nutes down for flushing. I guess as long as the salt levels are lower in the res, the osmotic pressure should flush out the excess nutes, but not real sure about that.

On the CO2, I've heard that it actually reduces flower time. I'll have to find the article and post it. I know that the Cervantes Grower's Bible says that they will grow up to 30% faster with CO2, not sure how it affects flowering though.

Hydro, I didn't do a real flush on the last grow. I just tapered off on the nutes gradually. I read several posts both pro and con and decided to just taper down. Now that I have a good chiller I will have to learn more about the temps for finishing to see if there's an ideal range.

I basically just follow the feeding chart on the CES nutes and they just reduce the nutes down for flushing. I guess as long as the salt levels are lower in the res, the osmotic pressure should flush out the excess nutes, but not real sure about that.

On the CO2, I've heard that it actually reduces flower time. I'll have to find the article and post it. I know that the Cervantes Grower's Bible says that they will grow up to 30% faster with CO2, not sure how it affects flowering though.

Ya the Cannabis Grow Bible I have also said c02 makes plants grow faster, but I dont think that does have anything to do with finish time, just that your ganna get a bigger plant faster thats all. Please post that article and if I hear anything i'll make sure I let you know.

take it ez
hydro

Steve, Hydro i am getting ready to order seeds, who'd be good to get some from for a newb beginner going indoors? I was thinking of getting local clones in Norcal, but i hear so many horror stories about bugs, and other crap that i almost think i'd rather go the clower route at the first attempt. I'm hoping to order my lights in the next couple of days as well. the rest of the stuff will be easy to deal with. I'd like not more than 8-9 weeks flower time and would prefer to get something that packs on weight first go around.

thx,

cryo

Hey cryodude,

Thanks for the information. You actually helped me make up my mind. Knowing that there are those new 5 watt and 10 watt bulbs on the horizon, I'm gonna wait.

Your girls are looking nice Steve. I'm gonna follow your thread just to stay informed.

Time for a few bingers. Peace.

Steve, Hydro i am getting ready to order seeds, who'd be good to get some from for a newb beginner going indoors? I was thinking of getting local clones in Norcal, but i hear so many horror stories about bugs, and other crap that i almost think i'd rather go the clower route at the first attempt. I'm hoping to order my lights in the next couple of days as well. the rest of the stuff will be easy to deal with. I'd like not more than 8-9 weeks flower time and would prefer to get something that packs on weight first go around.

thx,

cryo

Cryo,
I've ordered from AMS and from The attitude. The Attitude is a sponsor and has a very large selection. You can pick single seeds, do a pick and mix and they always have great freebies. Not sure on which strain to start with, many are beginner friendly and flowering times will be posted as well. The 4 strains I am using for my next grow are all supposed to be in the range for flowering time and easy to clone (Gigabud, Pineapple Chunk, Twilight, Powerkush) .

You'll also have to decide on indica or sativa, or a hybrid, height, type of medical affect, smell etc... Just don't get too carried away and end up with 20 different strains that will take you 3 years to go through (it's easy to get carried away).

yeah man I have yet to buy seeds from the ineternet but i'll definetly be following your footsteps with the Attitude steve good call on the pineapple chunk!-Shape is bubba kush crossed with deep chunk so maybe related some how to the pineapple chunk idk.

I just know that when I order seeds im definetly ganna be throwing down big bux as the strain i'll be purchasing is the one im hoping will get me a at the very least a POTM and maybe POTY?? It changes every week, but at the moment I was thinking of going with Nebula since I heard its a very stable and easy to cross strain, so if it isn't crazy enuff i could even try crossing it with my young shepard strain that im growing now and see what happens :)) like I said though it changes every day practically, im torn because I also really wanna give it a go with a purple strain but it wont be worth even popping a seed like that for me until Nov. when temps start to drop at night.

hydro

yeah man I have yet to buy seeds from the ineternet but i'll definetly be following your footsteps with the Attitude steve good call on the pineapple chunk!-Shape is bubba kush crossed with deep chunk so maybe related some how to the pineapple chunk idk.

I just know that when I order seeds im definetly ganna be throwing down big bux as the strain i'll be purchasing is the one im hoping will get me a at the very least a POTM and maybe POTY?? It changes every week, but at the moment I was thinking of going with Nebula since I heard its a very stable and easy to cross strain, so if it isn't crazy enuff i could even try crossing it with my young shepard strain that im growing now and see what happens :)) like I said though it changes every day practically, im torn because I also really wanna give it a go with a purple strain but it wont be worth even popping a seed like that for me until Nov. when temps start to drop at night.

hydro

you could always pop the seeds now, get a healthy mom and then clone her this fall. Then you could see the difference temps make. I have some of Dutch Passion's The Ultimate which is supposed to be a big yielder and THSeeds Heavy Duty Fruity which is supposed to be a monster flowering in 60-65 days, those two will be in Grow 5.0. I'll be working through my 20 strains of seeds to find the best 4-6 to keep as moms. I'll base it on yield, smell, ease of growth, bag appeal, days to harvest. Once I get it down to a handful I will just rinse and repeat. I'll make sure I take detailed notes along the way though so that it will be a good reference to other new growers (and maybe some seasoned ones).

Most of my seeds are femmed, about 6 strains aren't so they will probably wait for awhile before I get to them (unless they're potentially huge yielders).

I'll make sure I take detailed notes along the way though so that it will be a good reference to other new growers (and maybe some seasoned ones).

Yeah dude I think its an extremely good idea to keep a daily grow journal that note the PH, PPM, Date, Time and a description of any problems like root issues or burning and I note positive things like speedy veg growth, bulking up of nugs stuff like that. Some days i'll get lazy and not write down my PH and ppm every time I test it but I make sure I do every rez change and atleast every other day. That way next time I grow it I can match up okay day 20 of flower, last time she was doing great at this much so i'll raise it 100 ppm, stuff like that.

so this Pythium infestation of my roots has barely improved regardless of the cooler temps they've been experiencing over the last two weeks so its time for plan B, im getn' up bright and early tomorrow and showing up at the hydro store as soon as they open to purchase my first bottle of HYGROZYME!!! and will be using it on these poor diseased little girls. I can only hope it is the cure that all the testimonials i've read so far say it is.

Hydro

so this Pythium infestation of my roots has barely improved regardless of the cooler temps they've been experiencing over the last two weeks so its time for plan B, im getn' up bright and early tomorrow and showing up at the hydro store as soon as they open to purchase my first bottle of HYGROZYME!!! and will be using it on these poor diseased little girls. I can only hope it is the cure that all the testimonials i've read so far say it is.

Hydro

Take a before and after pic if you can. I've never had the dreaded pythium nor seen how well Hygrozyme works on it. I'd be interested to see how effective it is in action. I've been using it as a preventive measure, so I'd like to know if it is really doing what it says it does. My hydro guy swears by the stuff (although he is also selling it, so....).

Hey Stevehman,

Quick question. I'm planning on growing 6 plants in 3 gallon bags of Fox Farm Ocean Forest. I'm gonna bunch them close together. Do you think I could flower all 6 with one of those 180s?

Hey Stevehman,

Quick question. I'm planning on growing 6 plants in 3 gallon bags of Fox Farm Ocean Forest. I'm gonna bunch them close together. Do you think I could flower all 6 with one of those 180s?

That is a tricky question. How tall are they going to be, how bushy. How long are you going to veg them.

If I was going to put 6 plants under a single 180, I would only veg them until they are 6-8 inches tall and then (as you mention) put them in as close to each other as possible, just make sure you have enough room for airflow and some lateral growth. If you are doing a SOG type grow then you can get away with 6 under the one light. If you are going to bush them out then maybe 2 plants. Or if it's a tall sativa, SCROG a single plant.

Off the top of my head I recall the 180 having an advertised core of about 2.5x2.5 and a total coverage of about 4x4. I think that is based on the height of 18 inches over the plants, I would not count on any "big" growth outside of the core, so if you can get all of your girls into the core are you should be fine.

Also, if they're all the same strain and you're going for max yield, a SCROG with 1 or 2 plants may be a better producer for you than 6 smaller plants. I think it was Pitviper (and probably several others too) that said "sometimes less is more"

On my first grow I had a single 180 on a mover and it was flowering 12 plants (although not as well as I think it could do now that I have a bit more experience and better equipment).

Best of luck on your grow, I hope that I've been able to answer the question.

So I decided to break out the digital microscope to get a close up of the trichs today. I'm on day 51 in 12/12 and things are looking close. I am still not even thinking about chopping until day 70 though.

Here are some close-ups of the frostiness:
Image451.jpg
Image462.jpg
Image471.jpg
Image511.jpg
Image522.jpg
Image531.jpg
Image541.jpg
Image551.jpg

The last pic is a small piece of a sugar leaf I took to get a better pic. It's a pain to try and hold that thing steady and focus and hit the take picture button--should be a two person op. You can see on the last pic the trichs are showing quite a bit of amber already. Not sure how much longer before they are perfectly ripe, but I think day 70 is still the date.

OK, thanks for the input Steve.

The HPS that I ordered came in the mail today and I didn't even open it. I figure, cost of energy, heat dissipation etc. will leave me with regret since I'm eventually gonna buy an LED anyway. Might as well get one right now and not waste the money on an HPS setup that I'll only use for one season.

I'm leaning towards one of the 290's for my 4x4 tent. I'm pretty sure that'll cover my 6 plants adequately enough. I'm planning on employing some LST to keep them even.

I'm now officially pumped for the growing season. It will be something new.

grand master grower buddie ended up hooking me up with another chiller, same company as the one I have but this new one is twice the size and is about a 700 dollar chiller so now all I have to do is show up at his place every 15 days for the next 3 months and help him with his giant set up. Win win for me, I get to learn more and got a fat new chiller to keep that bull shit pythrum away! Gatta work today to make some money so i can actually buy a pump for this chilller and get it installed and throw the new clones in (had to kill both those two girls sadly they were way to infested but the homie hooked me up with two clones of the same strain that are already rooted to help give me a head start since I had to start over. Will post new pics by monday!
hydro

i love chillers :)

grand master grower buddie ended up hooking me up with another chiller, same company as the one I have but this new one is twice the size and is about a 700 dollar chiller so now all I have to do is show up at his place every 15 days for the next 3 months and help him with his giant set up. Win win for me, I get to learn more and got a fat new chiller to keep that bull shit pythrum away! Gatta work today to make some money so i can actually buy a pump for this chilller and get it installed and throw the new clones in (had to kill both those two girls sadly they were way to infested but the homie hooked me up with two clones of the same strain that are already rooted to help give me a head start since I had to start over. Will post new pics by monday!
hydro

i love chillers :)

Its awesome that you have a friend that will assist and throw some equipment your way, Good chillers aren't cheap and cheap chillers aren't good. Hope that solves the problem with the pyth, I am knocking on wood that I haven't had it. I'll keep using the hygrozyme as a preventative measure.

yeah dude seriously once you get past about 35% root zone infestation of that evil shit on that plants root system sadly the only thing you can do to irradicate that shit is to kill the host plant and CLEAN EVERYTHING it came in contact with and start mixing a strong dose of H202 in your resi the minute you notice it on one plant.

So seriously the best way to deal with that crap is to make sure it cannot get a foot hold which is what that chiller and hydrozyme is doing for you so im sure your safe, and what my new bad ass chiller + Dutch Master ZONE.

Zone alone obviously wasn't strong enough, I might have been able to salvage those two poor girls with a fatty constant dose of h202 but i didn't even wanna fuck with it excpecially when I get a jump start by picking up already rooted clones so I can start fresh. Once I get to the hydro shop i'll also be picking up a gallon of the strongest h202 they have so I can soak EVERYTHING those ass hole plants touched. Luckily they were in enclosed systems and in completely different rooms on oposit sides of my apt from shapey. luckily.

Take it easy dude will post more pics soon and yo if you wanna see what my grand master growers set up (btw i'll just refer to him as GrandMaster) if you wanna check it out. in those pics he has about 30 plants in a couple trays under two thousand watt hps on two separate light movers.

hydro out.

i know you have probly answered this a bunch but ive been knockin my head off this screen for what seems like a couple weeks now on hid vs led vs high watt cfls.

ive knocked the cfls out for sure and ive gotten pretty comfy with the hid's but are the leds really worth it? power bill wise?

are the buds comparable?

and do you have the advanced 180w with the all 3w's or the hybrid? which do you think would be better? the 180w hybrid is less money.

Back
Top Bottom