Stocking Up For The Apocalypse: Goody's Perpetual Grow By The Beach 2020

Hey there, SF!
Glad to have you here catching up, lots of quiet watchers so no biggie...

As far as autos, Yes, stick around and you may see something you like.
First thing- Topping YES. I see a lot of growers around here questioning whether it would have time to recover, etc...The answer is yes. It will recover and have 2 heads, which simply becomes part of a system of heads, and the more the better. Anyone who doesn't believe it can look back through 18 months of me growing autos (my first ever) and see what I did to make it work.
This current auto got topped at 19 days. Generally topping comes between 12-20 days (for me). It literally takes 1 day to recover if the plant is growing/thriving properly. Training starts right after. Lots of people clip at the 3rd or 4th node and Quadline. I've had good results with that, but even better with Hexlines and Octolines. My last GSC auto was Octolined and produced 10 oz dried. I still clip above the 4th normally.
I think a lot of people assume that once it starts flowering, the growing is basically done. That couldn't be further from the truth. I've had them stretch to 3-4x their original size after flower started. ALL BUD in that stretch. Training starts right after topping and continues until it doesn't need it anymore...
When I put my first auto seed in the dirt, I expected nothing but problems and smaller crops. Now I can't imagine NOT growing them.
One of the biggest advantages of autos (for me) is their immunity to light leaks and power outages, which happen here frequently. Lights go out on a photo plant for 2-3 days, you're basically f**cked without backup.
On an auto, it will just keep plugging away like nothing ever happened once that light comes back on. No special treatment needed.
People will say the THC level is lacking...well I haven't noticed, and I smoke all day every day. The taste definitely isn't lacking, either.
On a side note-
Some will say you can't clone them. I have.
Some will say you can't breed them. I have.
Some say you can't up-pot them. I have.
Some will say they are harder to grow than photos. I disagree. I've grown photos for 30 years.
Some will say they are too temperamental and easy to shock. All plants are. It takes finesse to do things right.

Hope this is helpful in some way for anyone wanting to grow autos. I love autos and believe them to be very misunderstood and misjudged. Try them again, they've changed ;)
I love that post Justin! And I love autos too! :love: :rollit:

That Bruce is working its way to stardom! She's another beauty!
Thank you S.O.
She’s one of those awesome genetics that seems set on going big and fast, I have high hopes after reading about her lineage and reputation. Seems like it might tickle the other side of my tastebuds while being an awesome kush type high.

On another note- for anyone using FFOF, just remember it comes preloaded with fruit flies. Bake it.
I just opened a bag and watched them emerge from the first handfuls of soil.
I load up mine with mosquito bits before planting but it’s always good to start with a clean slate. Kill them all!

Here’s the Purple Lemonade that has been living outside. Flowering a few days now.
No topping
No training
NO NUTES AT ALL
Just hose water and sun.
5A636948-7700-4354-AE68-D8F3B09AA8E0.jpeg

Fastbuds says this variety likes little, or no nutes at all. I’ve always fed the previous ones normally and ended up with buds that never got dense, just fluffy. Until she shows a deficiency or problem, she’s just living on FFOF.

Indoors these new babies are getting another set of leaves and all I can do is watch right now…with a smile
DA6853E9-9FB5-451D-99B0-CC677729B4E1.jpeg

Hey there, SF!
Glad to have you here catching up, lots of quiet watchers so no biggie...

As far as autos, Yes, stick around and you may see something you like.
First thing- Topping YES. I see a lot of growers around here questioning whether it would have time to recover, etc...The answer is yes. It will recover and have 2 heads, which simply becomes part of a system of heads, and the more the better. Anyone who doesn't believe it can look back through 18 months of me growing autos (my first ever) and see what I did to make it work.
This current auto got topped at 19 days. Generally topping comes between 12-20 days (for me). It literally takes 1 day to recover if the plant is growing/thriving properly. Training starts right after. Lots of people clip at the 3rd or 4th node and Quadline. I've had good results with that, but even better with Hexlines and Octolines. My last GSC auto was Octolined and produced 10 oz dried. I still clip above the 4th normally.
I think a lot of people assume that once it starts flowering, the growing is basically done. That couldn't be further from the truth. I've had them stretch to 3-4x their original size after flower started. ALL BUD in that stretch. Training starts right after topping and continues until it doesn't need it anymore...
When I put my first auto seed in the dirt, I expected nothing but problems and smaller crops. Now I can't imagine NOT growing them.
One of the biggest advantages of autos (for me) is their immunity to light leaks and power outages, which happen here frequently. Lights go out on a photo plant for 2-3 days, you're basically f**cked without backup.
On an auto, it will just keep plugging away like nothing ever happened once that light comes back on. No special treatment needed.
People will say the THC level is lacking...well I haven't noticed, and I smoke all day every day. The taste definitely isn't lacking, either.
On a side note-
Some will say you can't clone them. I have.
Some will say you can't breed them. I have.
Some say you can't up-pot them. I have.
Some will say they are harder to grow than photos. I disagree. I've grown photos for 30 years.
Some will say they are too temperamental and easy to shock. All plants are. It takes finesse to do things right.

Hope this is helpful in some way for anyone wanting to grow autos. I love autos and believe them to be very misunderstood and misjudged. Try them again, they've changed ;)

Bam! Love that write up Justin. Autos need continued training until the branches stiffen up. It will keep sending growth hormones, the less you train and mess with them, the quicker and smaller they finish.

At least in my limited experience that how I see and treat them.

Monster autos, CBD, and seeds, oh my! Just like your dad's, this journal was a treat to read. Can't wait to see how those BX1 babies turn out. I'll have to check out those sponsor grows, too.

If I may ask, are you in Clinton? My mom and a sister live in Coupeville, and my husband and I lived in Everett until we moved last year. I don't miss the cold and rain, but those views... yeah, i miss those.

And though it's late, my condolences on the loss of your fur baby. I have a few of my own, and would be crushed to lose them.

Monster autos, CBD, and seeds, oh my! Just like your dad's, this journal was a treat to read. Can't wait to see how those BX1 babies turn out. I'll have to check out those sponsor grows, too.

If I may ask, are you in Clinton? My mom and a sister live in Coupeville, and my husband and I lived in Everett until we moved last year. I don't miss the cold and rain, but those views... yeah, i miss those.

And though it's late, my condolences on the loss of your fur baby. I have a few of my own, and would be crushed to lose them.
I am in Clinton, good eye ;)

Yes it’s been the coldest June on record and the plants are just sitting there like .. Why am I here, sir??

But yes the indoor grows here are doing just fine and run into very few problems. Getting better all the time (depending on which tent you look in) and better genetics, lights, and everything else. This is totally the auto zone now lol.
Looking forward to those crosses and what they do in the next few weeks. If they both autoflower like they should and don’t herm…WATCH OUT cause it’s gonna be something tasty.

Plant 1 is now in pre-harvest darkness.

Plant 2-
Day 25
81FA54AD-43FD-4932-A903-4FE4DD8C480C.jpeg
She’s showing early signs of flower already and taking well to her training. This one is gonna be pretty big, I think.

Happy Sunday growers!

Bruce Banner and his (her) band of Wookiees
95C13434-60B2-4F35-BBF5-469D3BDA8880.jpeg
8C6C0E34-6A67-4D11-82D0-AA103B26DE4A.jpeg
so far the tester seeds have all grown fairly similar to each other, and I have 2 under a different light so I can check their consistency that way as well.

I know some of you follow @Carcass and his always amazing grows. He is currently using GF Veg only, and having positive results having only supplemented with Cal Mag and one other thing.

Being a man of science, I want to test the other end of that spectrum for you all.
I’m currently growing this auto GSC (#2) using GF Bloom only.
I did start out with some Superthrive like I always do, and a small amount (1 oz, which is 1/5 of the previous dose) of bloom mixed into the soil. I’m using FFOF so there is nothing else to feed them in there unless I add it. @DYNOMYCO went into the soil as well as 1/2 cup mosquito bits.

I figure the way autos grow, they may need a different approach with these nutes. So far so good and I don’t think she knows she’s living on bloom food. Probably no big deal since she’s starting to bloom (26 days, right on time) so now she will get her first top dressing.
8428D605-EBFC-4679-B7F0-DF4C8F900CD6.jpeg
49FDEB6A-CB98-4AA8-BF39-7FE2A9B8F7E7.jpeg
tick tock @Trala -this OctoLine shows the alternating branches really well.
She’s looking to be a monster if she keeps growing like this ;)

Plant 2
Day 27
A41074C7-060B-457F-9519-265F8645D614.jpeg
6C8EBEBF-E67A-4B04-B8B2-009F8DDDFBF1.jpeg
just beginning to flower and continuing to stretch…about and inch more every day right now.
She received her first top dressing yesterday. I’m sticking to the lower end of the GF feed chart and put in 3.5oz (as opposed to previous photo plant that received 5oz per feeding) and we will see how she likes it coming up shortly.
@Atreum Lighting is currently at 91w for about 36,000 Lux at the top of the plant. So far so good.

Plant #1 is about to meet the knife, I went ahead and let her flower for as long as she vegged, 53 days. Details later ;)

Plant 2
Day 27
A41074C7-060B-457F-9519-265F8645D614.jpeg
6C8EBEBF-E67A-4B04-B8B2-009F8DDDFBF1.jpeg
just beginning to flower and continuing to stretch…about and inch more every day right now.
She received her first top dressing yesterday. I’m sticking to the lower end of the GF feed chart and put in 3.5oz (as opposed to previous photo plant that received 5oz per feeding) and we will see how she likes it coming up shortly.
@Atreum Lighting is currently at 91w for about 36,000 Lux at the top of the plant. So far so good.

Plant #1 is about to meet the knife, I went ahead and let her flower for as long as she vegged, 53 days. Details later ;)
She is set up nicely, Justin. Great sculpting! :Rasta:

She is set up nicely, Justin. Great sculpting! :Rasta:
Thank you sir. I feel more at home with this auto, definitely less worried about stress/herms too.
Gonna have her stacking high and wide here soon, I hope.
43D73660-718E-4545-8ABE-C12D1197E99B.jpeg

Plant 2, day 26, almost looks like you have a binder clip on the topping stump. I’m nosy, what is it? :cheesygrinsmiley: BTW - she is gorgeous. I think you are gonna have a nice little monster there!:high-five:
Yes it was ;)
You know how I’ll sometimes tie to the stems of the big lower leaves when I train the top branches down…well I cut those too short and the binder clip worked perfectly and pushed the branches softly downward. Those ones are brittle newer growth so it’s best not to bend them too much until you flex them for a couple days.
They grow quick, so like 36 hours later they were long enough that I was able to hold them down with hooks.
Good eye!

Yes it was ;)
You know how I’ll sometimes tie to the stems of the big lower leaves when I train the top branches down…well I cut those too short and the binder clip worked perfectly and pushed the branches softly downward. Those ones are brittle newer growth so it’s best not to bend them too much until you flex them for a couple days.
They grow quick, so like 36 hours later they were long enough that I was able to hold them down with hooks.
Good eye!
Good to know! Thank you. :thanks:

I know some of you follow @Carcass and his always amazing grows. He is currently using GF Veg only, and having positive results having only supplemented with Cal Mag and one other thing.

Being a man of science, I want to test the other end of that spectrum for you all.
I’m currently growing this auto GSC (#2) using GF Bloom only.
I did start out with some Superthrive like I always do, and a small amount (1 oz, which is 1/5 of the previous dose) of bloom mixed into the soil. I’m using FFOF so there is nothing else to feed them in there unless I add it. @DYNOMYCO went into the soil as well as 1/2 cup mosquito bits.

I figure the way autos grow, they may need a different approach with these nutes. So far so good and I don’t think she knows she’s living on bloom food. Probably no big deal since she’s starting to bloom (26 days, right on time) so now she will get her first top dressing.
8428D605-EBFC-4679-B7F0-DF4C8F900CD6.jpeg
49FDEB6A-CB98-4AA8-BF39-7FE2A9B8F7E7.jpeg
tick tock @Trala -this OctoLine shows the alternating branches really well.
She’s looking to be a monster if she keeps growing like this ;)
On fleek brah.

My alternating branches are a train wreck.

Get it? Train plants/train choo choo? I love it when a pun comes together.

:)

Back
Top Bottom