Strawberry Blue - Monster Pheno Grow Log

Should have started this sooner, but once more ended up with this monster of a pheno from World of Seeds, and felt like showing others what this plant is truly capable of.

I have flowered this pheno before, and it almost filled a 6x8 greenhouse out of a 7 gallon grow bag. This time, it is in a bigger pot...maybe 25 gallons? I forget. Anyhow, this ought to get exciting, since she didn't even begin stretch last season until mid August. This far north, I am not too sure that a mid to late September harvest can truly be considered "early", but welcome to the journal: this is World of Seeds Strawberry Blue Early Harvest Edition, from the Legends Collection.

Planted seed May 25. She is just about 60 days from planting, nice big branches with huge blossoms imminent, you can just tell.

Grow Details:

Substrate: Handmixed blend of Sphagnum Peat, Coarse and Fine Coco Coir, Worm Castings, and Perlite

Nutrients: General Organics - Biothrive Grow, Biothrive Bloom, BioMarine.

Advanced Nutrients - RhinoSkin

FoxFarm - (haven't used yet; starting just before the stretch if I can time that correctly) Open Sesame, BeastieBloomz, ChaChing

Lighting: The Sun

Temps: about fifteen degrees above ambient outdoor temperature despite ventilation, but lots of airflow has helped the RhinoSkin silica do its thing. BTW, use silica if you ever have temperatures you can't control...it can be the difference between life or death for a plant in excessive heat. Also, it fattens up those stems which is a prerequisite for bulky bud formation.

Screenshot_20230722-211342.png

Should have started this sooner, but once more ended up with this monster of a pheno from World of Seeds, and felt like showing others what this plant is truly capable of.

I have flowered this pheno before, and it almost filled a 6x8 greenhouse out of a 7 gallon grow bag. This time, it is in a bigger pot...maybe 25 gallons? I forget. Anyhow, this ought to get exciting, since she didn't even begin stretch last season until mid August. This far north, I am not too sure that a mid to late September harvest can truly be considered "early", but welcome to the journal: this is World of Seeds Strawberry Blue Early Harvest Edition, from the Legends Collection.

Planted seed May 25. She is just about 60 days from planting, nice big branches with huge blossoms imminent, you can just tell.

Grow Details:

Substrate: Handmixed blend of Sphagnum Peat, Coarse and Fine Coco Coir, Worm Castings, and Perlite

Nutrients: General Organics - Biothrive Grow, Biothrive Bloom, BioMarine.

Advanced Nutrients - RhinoSkin

FoxFarm - (haven't used yet; starting just before the stretch if I can time that correctly) Open Sesame, BeastieBloomz, ChaChing

Lighting: The Sun

Temps: about fifteen degrees above ambient outdoor temperature despite ventilation, but lots of airflow has helped the RhinoSkin silica do its thing. BTW, use silica if you ever have temperatures you can't control...it can be the difference between life or death for a plant in excessive heat. Also, it fattens up those stems which is a prerequisite for bulky bud formation.

Welcome to 420Magazine my friend. :welcome:
I just happen to be in Northern Ontario and also run a greenhouse.
I'm using coco only this year.
Here is a pick.
If there is anything I can help you with let me know.
Take care.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

Welcome to 420Magazine my friend. :welcome:
I just happen to be in Northern Ontario and also run a greenhouse.
I'm using coco only this year.
Here is a pick.
If there is anything I can help you with let me know.
Take care.

Bill284 😎
WOW Bill, nice frickin grow!! Those are some TREES!! The LST is impressive. I usually SCROG, but this time around just topping and removing any large fans that are blocking good bud sites. I will be updating as she progresses. Thanks for the warm welcome.

WOW Bill, nice frickin grow!! Those are some TREES!! The LST is impressive. I usually SCROG, but this time around just topping and removing any large fans that are blocking good bud sites. I will be updating as she progresses. Thanks for the warm welcome.
Thanks Amigo :thanks: :high-five:
Hope we can get to know each other.
There is a couple of us up here.
Infact I'm having Rexer over today for a BBQ and some tubing.
I'm on a lazy river.
Happy Growing. :thumb::passitleft:

Bill284 😎

So, yesterday I tied down the lower branches with the green stringy wire stuff that, for some reason, I can't remember the name to. Also the flowering plant that was off to the right is now in my pipe after being microwaved on very low power under a paper towel for a bit, and for what I did to it, its very very potent still, roughly 21%. It was a 420FastBuds Purple Lemonade.

And I know I should not have done it but I just needed a little medicine to get me through the next 3 days. I made the call that it was worth it considering the situation.

I'm going to post some pictures of her later tonight. Debating whether to use FF Open Sesame to *try* to force her into flowering for an early finush, as I have *read* from a seller on Amazon that the "new formula" is designed to maximize budsite development AND to force a plant into flowering...so as an experiment I may do this today. Before I do, what do you guys think? Yea or Nay?

If this thing has two or three weeks of veg time left, I know full well it can fill up the otger half of the greenhouse, but if it is gonna flower anyways on me, I want to be early with the budsite builder.

Ok folks...here it is. Side by side of yestwrday before LST was started, and today after adjusting the garden ties. This girl is growing on every branch at a rate of at least 1" per day, closer to 2" I think. So every day I will have to retrain her, but, first world problems, am I right? 🤷

Anyways, I did decide to use my FoxFarm Open Sesame at pretty close to full strength and then a half gallon of pure water afterward to dial it back just a smidge. 🤏

So it will indeed be interesting to see just what happens here, but I am confident with my prior experience growing this strain and pheno in particular that she will not get nute burn at the full strength of Open Sesame. I have been low on CalMag though so I'm gonna need to pick some up. Anybody know of any raw/naturally ocurring sources easily obtained?

Anyways again according to the Amazon seller I got this from which I think was actually FoxFarm itself, this is supposed to force plants into flower with this "new formula". So we'll see. Like I previously said this girl usually only starts to throw pistils around Aug. 7/Aug. 14, but I don't want to train the very tops on my main cola, since the silica has pretty well hardened the stems now anyways so those are no longer able to be tamed effectively, hence my choice to attempt forcing flower.

I am curious to see if its possible to chemically force flower production, with this or any other chemical or nutrient. Let me know if anybody has experience doing that, especially with Open Sesame. Thanks everybody for watching.

IMG_20230724_175741137_HDR.jpg

Hey Northern. Beautiful plant. Can I make a suggestion?
I'd tie down the branches at the top and untie the lower ones so they can catch up.
If possible maybe even prop them up so they're higher than the branches at the top.
Then they'll eventually become dominant because of the auxin distribution.
I'm up North too and in the same boat. Still waiting for my plants to flower. Welcome to 420magazine.

Hey thanks for the advice, but I've been using silica and addressed this before in the thread...the top branches are so stiff, I'm hesitant to even try it. I know I could improve my yield if it works, but this is about to flip soon so I don't want any stress it. I'm already screwed trying to get to my batteries or charge controller, and have to crawl, so I'm not going to tie anything else. Out of spaces to do so of I ever want to be able to move through the greenhouse. It
Hey @NorthernOutdoorGreenhouse

I've moved this thread from Strain Reviews to Grow Journals. Lovely looking lady.
Ok thank you! lol I wasn't sure how to get it in the right area. And I appreciate the compliment.

Well, I have hit her twice in the past 7 days with FoxFarm Open Sesame. Still no pistils but I know we are getting close. Here is a pic from today that kind of shows how much tge Open Sesame helped the branching to go nuts. All these secondary branches started off a week ago as just tiny leaves and now they are each about 4" tall. Cheah!

Thanks everybody for the comments and tips. I wish I hadn't run out of veg food or I would probably have doubled her size but for something like what I want, I probably need the pot right in the middle of the greenhouse and all my solar equipment somewhere near the door. This is I believe her final 10 or so days as a vegging plant so I really want to maximize what she can produce by soaking up any last bit of energy before she fully transitions.

What do you guys think? Let her keep getting a healthy dose of Open Sesame or try to obtain some veg food? It's NPK is 5-45-5. Don't want to MAXIMIZE stretch this time around, but really want my branches to be fat.

Also, I did find someone willing to raise a cutting into a mother for next year for me inside.

IMG_20230730_165209_01.jpg

Also, if I take off the ties, does anyone know if this will grow back upward or will those banches stay bent where they shifted upward instead of horizontally? If I could lose the ties I can probably tie down the very top branches, but I won't do it if my tops are gonna grow against my roof lol.
They will grow back upwards if you untie them (the new growth that is, the older stuff may have hardened up). And, since you're feeding them silica, if the top branches are too strong and you think you might snap them at the junction, you could supercrop them and then either tie or weight them down to get them to stay where you want them.

They will grow back upwards if you untie them (the new growth that is, the older stuff may have hardened up). And, since you're feeding them silica, if the top branches are too strong and you think you might snap them at the junction, you could supercrop them and then either tie or weight them down to get them to stay where you want them.
Hey thanks so much for the response! I have SCROG'd before but first time using ties outside of a screen and I didn't have a clue lol. Much appreciated. And I have heard of supercropping, monstercropping, etc. for years but embarrassingly, never learned anything about it. Can you tell me what it entails briefly if it isn't too much to ask? Thanks. And I do actually believe I am in a predicament as far as the branches snappiing up top...why I been hesitant to LST those. So I really want to hear more about supercropping.

Shed did a good post on the How's and Why's of Supercropping.

Basically you work the stem material between your fingers (but I like to bend them around a round object like a pen or something which has helped me avoid breaking the stem in half) to weaken it which then allows you to direct it to a place you want.

That's different from Monstercropping which is really just revegging a plant that has flipped to flower. Flipping back to veg gives you a  very bushy plant that can then produce clones or a ridiculous number of bud sites if you reflower it.

Shed did a good post on the How's and Why's of Supercropping.

Basically you work the stem material between your fingers (but I like to bend them around a round object like a pen or something which has helped me avoid breaking the stem in half) to weaken it which then allows you to direct it to a place you want.

That's different from Monstercropping which is really just revegging a plant that has flipped to flower. Flipping back to veg gives you a  very bushy plant that can then produce clones or a ridiculous number of bud sites if you reflower it.
Ok cool thanks Azimuth. I'm sketch about doing that in case she hermies. I will probably pass on that advice but maybe some time later with something I care less about ruining I will have the courage for that lol.

That stress shouldn't be a hermie issue unless you are well into flower, eg well past the stretch and it sounds like you aren't there yet. But I get it, first time for everything can be uncertain.
Thanks for understanding lol I am someone who always learns the hard way 😂 For example, who the hell starts seeda in rockwool for transplanting to coco? That's what happened to the rest of my plants I started in the other pots all around this one lol. Overwatered at the stem and then I yanked em. I do have two seedlings that I had hoped werw autos, which I started way too late. Those are only an inch tall 😂😂 Shoupd have saved em. Oh well. Living and learning.

Back
Top Bottom