Tangerine Dream - Violator Kush - Red Dragon & Super Lemon Haze

Re: Tangerine Dream,Violator Kush,Red Dragon & Super Lemon Haze

HD...way to represent with the astronaut....way cool...man you and blue dog seem to be really dialing the clone thing in...I am going to have to play around with it also...my perpetual grow..."all from seed" has kinda overwhelmed me a bit to say the least..when I thought it out it worked....well it did in theory or in my mind...but now...not so much..need to try the clone thing here in a month or so...and lay off planting all these seeds..lol

HD...way to represent with the astronaut....way cool...man you and blue dog seem to be really dialing the clone thing in...I am going to have to play around with it also...my perpetual grow..."all from seed" has kinda overwhelmed me a bit to say the least..when I thought it out it worked....well it did in theory or in my mind...but now...not so much..need to try the clone thing here in a month or so...and lay off planting all these seeds..lol

Still working on the cloning, haven't got it yet. Still have few more days left. I'm using purified water with 0001 ppm so maybe this is why it is not rooting? There's something in the water the plant needs with the minerals, excluding chlorine. Will run another test with simple tap water (after an hour of sitting for chlorine evaporates) and see how that works. All of the DIY cloner projects people mentioned using tap water, maybe that's the key.

Cloning is fun. Problem solving. Once I get this right there's no stopping the SOG army I'm getting ready to set off for the next grow. Got everything ready except the rooted clones, heh.

Seed takes away a lot of the tasks of cloning, but it is expensive for high quality seeds and strains. If I can afford it I'll just grow start to finish with the seed, and take clones as backup. So far all the quality seeds I got sprouted no more than 3 days. Then 3-4 weeks after ready for 12/12, and finish in 55-65 days. Very happy with the results.

You will have fun with cloning. Try a method you find interesting and go for it. What strain are you growing?

Morning HD! Congrats on getting the tent and ona mist, looking forward to seeing it set up and in action :yahoo:

I think you made the right call on the clones. I'm finding out that trying to rush the cloning process just bites me in the ass. Step #1 is to let the mothers get good and established before you start, I was taking cuttings as soon as I could. #2 make sure the clones are really well rooted before you try to flower them or you'll be disappointed with their size.

I've spent a lot of time recently on my cloning process, here's what I'm trying based on the best info and results that I've seen.

Take cuttings that are around 5-6". I then scrape most of the 'skin' off the bottom 2" of the cutting, and try to put some cuts in the stem there too. Then I split the stem up the middle from the bottom for an inch or so. It's called scarification and is borderline mutilation.

I've got a cloning gel called vita gro, but the clonex would work too, dip the cutting in it for about 15 seconds as it suggests. Then set the cutting aside for 15-30 minutes to absorb the gel since most will get washed off in the cloner.

Honestly I think the clonex, vita-grow, superthrive and thrive-alive are very similar products, but the first 2 are more gelled and will stick to the girls better.

Then I put them in the cloner with the clonex solution. I've seen some amazing roots from this process, starting as soon as 3-4 days. I'm now starting day 3 of my first batch I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck bro :peace:

Thanks BlueDog for the tips. The first set of clones did not root after 10 days of waiting so I just put them in soil doing it traditionally, they are doing fine now. For the new batch I'm doing it again with bigger cuttings, so far no sign of rooting, but it has only been 4 days. Yours rooted in 3-4 days may due to the rooting hormones so I'll definitely go get some this week, been busy with work.

Are you using regular tap water?

I'm using purified water that has 0001 ppm. Maybe it's the water I'm using that the clones is not rooting. Something in the water like minerals help aid in the rooting process. If these batch does not show sign of rooting in few more days I'm switching to tap water with hormone solution. In the mean time, I'm setting up my second tent and redesign the grow room. Will have pics of it soon.

HD..I have SLH, WWXBB, Chem Vally Kush, some seeds a friend of mine gave me...( pretty good stuff ) he has crossed it with so many things over the years he dosent even know...or care...lol...and some seeds another friend gave me and said they were ak-47 / ak-48..he wasent sure...some have 11 leaves and 2 have 13...I found that kinda odd. but we will see how it does....it is do to come off in 4-5 weeks..

Thanks BlueDog for the tips. The first set of clones did not root after 10 days of waiting so I just put them in soil doing it traditionally, they are doing fine now. For the new batch I'm doing it again with bigger cuttings, so far no sign of rooting, but it has only been 4 days. Yours rooted in 3-4 days may due to the rooting hormones so I'll definitely go get some this week, been busy with work.

Are you using regular tap water?

I'm using purified water that has 0001 ppm. Maybe it's the water I'm using that the clones is not rooting. Something in the water like minerals help aid in the rooting process. If these batch does not show sign of rooting in few more days I'm switching to tap water with hormone solution. In the mean time, I'm setting up my second tent and redesign the grow room. Will have pics of it soon.

Hey my friend I'm not having any luck with my clones at the moment either. None of mine have come close to rooting in 3-4 days, but the guys I'm trying to copy said they saw roots that quickly. I rarely if ever have seen roots in less than 2 weeks, and this current batch from 5 to 8 days old now with no roots yet.

I'd use anything but distilled water, because it's got nothing in it. I've been using rain water. And I think pH should be 6 - 7 but I'm not sure on that either. Wish I had better advice but as I said, no luck here right now. :peace:

I should finish putting the room together today and update the photos on the current grow. It is looking really good.

Got the Clonex along with a few more air stones. I think more bubbles will help deliver oxygen to the stems promote root growth. The videos I've seen they got tons of bubbles going like it was boiling hot. Can't hurt to try.

For those saying they get roots in 3-4 days must have some fast rooting strain. The current test is from Super Lemon Haze, it has been a week now, still no sign. Time to dip them in the solution and see how it works while have the same thing going for soil.

More updates tonight.

I should finish putting the room together today and update the photos on the current grow. It is looking really good.

Got the Clonex along with a few more air stones. I think more bubbles will help deliver oxygen to the stems promote root growth. The videos I've seen they got tons of bubbles going like it was boiling hot. Can't hurt to try.

For those saying they get roots in 3-4 days must have some fast rooting strain. The current test is from Super Lemon Haze, it has been a week now, still no sign. Time to dip them in the solution and see how it works while have the same thing going for soil.

More updates tonight.

Hey bro I started to reply to you last night and had another thought and opened a second window and never got back to you.

First I'm looking forward to pics of the room upgrades :woohoo:

If you have any links to cloning vids I'd love to see them, and I'll post any that I find. I'm about to head over to the DIY forum and look around. I have 2 pumps and am using the weaker one, the bigger one would make the water look like it's boiling though.

I'm seeing nubs on one of my newest batch, it's been 9 days for her. But several of them look terrible and I can't say it's going very well. I've got 5 at 9 days and 4 at 6 days.

What kind of water are you using and what's the pH? I'm using rainwater and it's been in the 6.8 range. I think maybe I should be lower but I don't know.

Let's keep after this, I really want to develop a consistent, repeatable and reliable process. It doesn't even matter how long it takes as long as it works. :peace:

Enjoy the preview of the new set up. Two grow tents. One with 600w hps, the other with 2 LED.

MG_9690.jpg

MG_9691.jpg

I'll have better photos and more of it very soon. Been busy with the room by the time I finished the girls need their lights off. This is just a quick look at the new tents. I still need to add the fan inside along with the vortex 4 inch exhaust with carbon filter. I made my own, a compact unit to reduce the weight when hanging from the frame.

Not sure if you have seen the recent shot Red Dragon, but I have entered her for this month 420 plant contest. First time entering any kind of contest on here. My best looking plant thus far.

MG_9661.jpg

MG_96682.jpg

More pics in few days...

BlueDog,

I saw some video on youtube and this person seem to have better. Check it out. Bubbler cloning

That's too bad yours hasn't taking roots, yet. My clones have not show signs of rooting yet so I cut off the bottom stem and expose new flesh, dipped it in clonex and put it back in the bubbler. Not sure what my PH is, I don't have the PH meter only PPM meter. I should get one but have been doing fine without it. I already have a consistent cloning method, thought I would try on a more hydro approach. I posted a step-by-step guide in my previous journal, will post them once I find it. It deals with soil, more traditional approach.

Also, got superthrive. Haven't added it to the bubbler yet. I'll have more time on Friday to start a fresh batch and do a compare test using the bubbler vs the soil method. I want to see which will take off first. Now that I have the clonex, and superthrive it should speed things up a bit.

Morning HighDive!

Good luck in POTM she's a beauty!

Thanks for that video bro. It's pretty much what I'm doing now except for having a lid, which I'll get to one of these days.

Saw this very cool fogger cloner diy thread you may be interested in checking out:

Making The SH Mistic Cloner

One of my oldest started showing nubs yesterday at 9 days.

I'm not at all sure how important the pH is in the cloner but I'm going to try and keep it around 6 if I can. With the bigger pump and 2 airstones it's boiling like a witch's brew and just looks better to me in general, we'll have to see how it works.

Are both of those tents new? They look great and I hope you have nothing but good luck growing in them.... :peace:

I have to say that red dragon is looking awesome dude. How far along is that one now? And thumbs up on the new setups dude, I am jealous as hell. I have different ideas for lights but thats what I plan to do. I have a large room that would just be way too much to setup with reflective material on the walls etc... in order to make it possible to get the kind of light reflection you do in a tent. But I plan (dream) to put 1 4x8 and 2 4x4's for a total grow area of 8x8, all flowering areas. I have veg room thats more than enough to support those tents with clones. I definitely think tents are the way to go though unless you have a monster space and lots O' $ to make it nice nice. Hopefully over the next year or so I can make it happen. Looks like you are already there, good for you dude. Your work is paying off for you, I love seeing that, I just hope mine pays off as well.

Anyhow......

I've been reading along and I havent noticed what you guys are doing to prep the mothers of these cuttings you are taking, are you guys taking any preparations with them?

I have limited cloning knowledge but its something I need to get good at, and I am getting better. I need to be able to have my clones in and out of the cloner and ready for dirt/coco or whatever I am going to put them in, in less than 14 days. I dont need this yet as my current flowering setup is full at the moment so I have some time to perfect this, but what I am waiting for is to make sure the ladies I have in the tent arent going to herm on me, once thats known I can move forward and start cloning some more to get ready for when that tent empties out.

I havent been able to prove these statements yet with my ladies, but what I have been reading is that I need to starve my mothers of N for a bit in order to get those 4 day rooting times along with the moms being tip top (you guys know that I'm 100% sure). So what I am going to do next cloning session as I have time to prepare for it, is I am going to feed the mothers a normal dose of their supplements taking away the main grow nutes and the ones with higher N concentrations along with heavy dose of a product called awesome blossom which is a product meant to be used in flowering but its NPK rating is 2-11-11 which is good for what I need it for. I am going to try to plan it so I can give the ladies I'm going to clone the awesome blossom dose, and then have enough time to get a watering in the day of so they are starved a little more and the N in them should be pretty low. Other than that, the day of, I foliar them with thrive alive and/or superthrive to help with the stress, more for the cuttings than the mothers. If the stress is reduced the faster they will root, the less N....the faster they will root.

I am still undecided about snipping their leaves in half, I did some and not others the last time but I didnt keep track of the ones I did or didnt clip the leaves on plus i have several different strains that root faster or slower than each other so I cant say that my vanilla kush plants with the snipped leaves rooted faster than the tangerine dream clones without snipped leaves. FYI, the tangerine dream has consistently been the slowest of any of the strains I have to pop roots, literally days later than the others that were taken at the same time.

As far as clipping the leaves..... I have read conflicting recommendations from reputable growers on what to do to the leaves. Some say cutting the leaves cuts down photosynthesis slowing the production of foliage but I have also read and personally think that in order to push out roots, photosynthesis is the process that gives the energy to make it happen right? So that would slow down rooting no? I dont know, I plan on doing some of each strain with and without cut leaves to figure out what works best for me.

I dont know, I apologize for writing an essay in your journal HD, but I thought it may help you guys out, I'm sure you know most of it but some food for thought never hurts...

Morning HighDive!

Good luck in POTM she's a beauty!

Thanks for that video bro. It's pretty much what I'm doing now except for having a lid, which I'll get to one of these days.

Saw this very cool fogger cloner diy thread you may be interested in checking out:

Making The SH Mistic Cloner

One of my oldest started showing nubs yesterday at 9 days.

I'm not at all sure how important the pH is in the cloner but I'm going to try and keep it around 6 if I can. With the bigger pump and 2 airstones it's boiling like a witch's brew and just looks better to me in general, we'll have to see how it works.

Are both of those tents new? They look great and I hope you have nothing but good luck growing in them.... :peace:

Morning BlueDog!

I'm not expecting to win, just like showing off my RD she deserve some attention. Heh

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Congrats on sign of rooting for your clones!

Yes, the tents are brand new. Got them off from ebay, paid under $90 ea with shipping. I've seen other ones that cost $300 or more for the same size, and that's each. The size is 4x4x6.5ft I needed it to expand my operation without much worry on light leak and odor. Going to exhaust them straight out without it having to leak into otter rooms in the house.

It can hold quite a bit of small plants. With this many it makes watering difficult - hard to reach to the ones at the end. To solve this I got some pot liner to hold some water so they don't dry out too fast. Almost like a hemp style with some water at the bottom, but on airpot.

Going to do my best to get the room cleaned up, make more cuttings, take more pics, all before time to go to work, heh.

Hi whitey78!

Thanks! She was at 46 days when she pose for me. Since then, she'd developed further. Will have pix soon!

The tents didn't cost too much, under $90 ea with shipping. This my first time owning them they look and feel very professional, high quality. What lights are you planning to use in them when you do get some?

Usually I made cuttings at the lower end branches for low N. Now that you've mentioned it in details, I need to starve the girls completely of N to ensure rooting success for clones. I haven't been feeding her any nuts for 4 days now. Nothing but water, so with today's cuttings they should take off much faster than the previous batches.

Thanks for pointing that out! Will definitely make this preparation first time next time, to speed things up. I still have a lot of flowering room left and not so full veg area that could use more clones.

I love reading, don't worry about writing an essay on my thread. You're welcome to write a book on here if you like. The more knowledge we share the better it will be for all of us. Even though we may have the same knowledge a reminder of having one is always a treat. Also, the guest readers who are unable to participate in forums can benefit the info.

Thanks for the heads up on TD rooting time. I'll be sure not to freak out when others took root first. Heh

If the stress is reduced the faster they will root

I am still undecided about snipping their leaves in half,

As far as clipping the leaves..... I have read conflicting recommendations from reputable growers on what to do to the leaves. Some say cutting the leaves cuts down photosynthesis slowing the production of foliage but I have also read and personally think that in order to push out roots, photosynthesis is the process that gives the energy to make it happen right? So that would slow down rooting no? I dont know, I plan on doing some of each strain with and without cut leaves to figure out what works best for me.

I believe that cutting the leaves reduces the surface area from which the plant loses water through evaporation, therefore reducing stress, and the roots grow faster.

Hey HighDive, your plants all look so good and healthy! I Love the Red Dragon plant!Two tents wow that's going to be a lot to keep up with, I'm will be there for the new grow for sure! What power are the LED's you planning to use? I was thinking about maybe switching over to LED for my second grow is there anything I should know first?:surf:

Hey HighDive, your plants all look so good and healthy! I Love the Red Dragon plant!Two tents wow that’s going to be a lot to keep up with, I’m will be there for the new grow for sure! What power are the LED’s you planning to use? I was thinking about maybe switching over to LED for my second grow is there anything I should know first?:surf:

Thanks! I'll have more pics on Monday. I love the tents. It help me have two different tests going. Better odor control, RH, temp, and slightly more light given back with reflective materials inside the tent. Both tents are for flowering. Aiming to harvest each month. Right now I'm still at every two months. Might get a 3rd one later for every 2 weeks, or use it for breeding experiments. :morenutes:

The tent with the two LED are 714w total. You should definitely give LED a try! I'm trying them out to see which gives better results using gram per wattage measurements. Of course I have to grow the same strains in both tents to really have a solid conclusion. Which ever light type performs better I'll be using it exclusively after.

When getting LED look for companies that offer a lot of different spectrums, high quality LED bulb, cooling system within the unit, long warranty (more than 3 years), and of course low price.

Man im upset i missed this one, but count me in.

I to want to start using leds for lights, im really looking to compare the 3w chip sets; but right now i got T5's and the good old sun. I do plan on moving to a tent sometime in the near future and with a led, just hope they turn out like yours!!:goodjob:

P.S you got my vote for plant of the month

Man im upset i missed this one, but count me in.

I to want to start using leds for lights, im really looking to compare the 3w chip sets; but right now i got T5's and the good old sun. I do plan on moving to a tent sometime in the near future and with a led, just hope they turn out like yours!!:goodjob:

P.S you got my vote for plant of the month

Hi SexyKushMomma, welcome to my grow.

You should definitely try them out. Do you know which ones you'll be getting? 3w chip sets is top at the moment.

Thank you for your vote, much appreciated.

Journal Update:

Managed to finished the room today. Installed the exhaust fan in the HPS tent since it is the hottest. With the 4 inch can't get rid of the heat fast enough so I can't really close the tent shut. Will have to upgrade to the 6in and see how that works. The carbon filter I have is small for light weight. Made it with some drainage parts at the hardware store. For now, I have to open up the tent when the lights are on.

The summer is not too hot yet, but it will get up to 3 digits. I have thought about this and will upgrade all my lights to LED when I get more fundings. For now, this will do.

Both tents are flowering, the HPS one has a few that will be finishing in 2-3 weeks (Red Dragon, Super Lemon Haze, and Violator Kush). Tangerine Dream will finish early July.

The closet is now the veg/clone room. Got the traditional soil cloning and bubbler cloning going on. They are both showing sign of roots so we'll wait 5 more days and see.

Next week I'll be making a drying box and get that ready for harvest. Organize the veg closet to house some mothers for more clones, and put the ready clones in flowering right away once they built up root mass.

Everything is going according to plans now that I got the clones back on track.

One of the nug from Violator Kush broke off, must been an accident when I moved it around. It was dried so I thought to give it a smoke test. This strain produce very little buds, perhaps it is my kind of environment that provoked this, but the smoke was some quality. Half a bowl and I'm good for hours. It still has till early June so can't wait how it will hit then.

Here are updated pics.

LED tent
MG_9702.jpg

MG_9706.jpg

MG_9707.jpg

MG_9708.jpg

MG_9704.jpg

HPS tent
MG_9710.jpg

MG_9712.jpg

Red Dragon
MG_9718.jpg