Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

Downright mind blowingly awesome brother you are killing it. You def have the feel for this hats off to you my friend.
You're too kind brother, if you say it's on track I believe you.
Thank you for getting me to experiment with my weed!

So thinking about what is going on with the test results I came up with this, there can be a significant difference in the results based on where the bud came from on the plant. Over the years of testing I've discovered the best results will come from a bud that was about 1/3 the way down the plant. When I made my cobs I didn't cherry pick the buds, I just grabbed them and rolled them. There was a few percentage points lost in the cob test and that could just be due to the multiple buds used so it's more of an average. I wouldn't expect the terpenes to increase over time because they are volatile and some loss is unavoidable. The real magic is happening in the chemical process that is happening. There is hundreds of compounds in cannabis and they can only test for the main ones so there is still a lot of things that are happening they can't and don't even know really what to test for. Maybe someday a cannabis loving scientist will get their hands on a cob and will just have to figure out what is going on.

Does everyone let the sweat bags cool to room temp before opening? If we are attempting to maximize flavor/aroma/effect in the cobs, after the sweat shouldn't it be specified to let the sealed bags cool to room temp to reabsorb the low temp volatile terpenes? Seems like common sense to me but I'm used to writing SOP's lol

"So thinking about what is going on with the test results I came up with this, there can be a significant difference in the results based on where the bud came from on the plant. Over the years of testing I've discovered the best results will come from a bud that was about 1/3 the way down the plant."

Interesting observation - that happens to be my favorite area for headstash. If a cola was a sword, they'd be the 'crossguard' buds - they are also the most photogenic buds usually for me.

Here are the Panama x Bangi Haze cobs opened for the first time from fermenting (since 10.27) - the parsnip smell dominates now, with a piney sweetness. There's also a faint sour citrus background.
Wow, I thought I had variety before by growing different strains, the selection grows exponentially with different curing styles!
20181104_105903.jpg
20181104_110045.jpg
20181104_110150.jpg

Here are the Panama x Bangi Haze cobs opened for the first time from fermenting (since 10.27) - the parsnip smell dominates now, with a piney sweetness. There's also a faint sour citrus background.
Wow, I thought I had variety before by growing different strains, the selection grows exponentially with different curing styles!
20181104_105903.jpg
20181104_110045.jpg
20181104_110150.jpg
20181104_105903.jpg
20181104_110045.jpg
20181104_110150.jpg
Damn... that is beautiful! Making my mouth water over here... please let us know how it is, when its time to try it out.

20181104_105903.jpg
20181104_110045.jpg
20181104_110150.jpg
Perfect brother start the slow drying and aging process and you will keep the taste and aromas as it ages.

So thinking about what is going on with the test results I came up with this, there can be a significant difference in the results based on where the bud came from on the plant. Over the years of testing I've discovered the best results will come from a bud that was about 1/3 the way down the plant. When I made my cobs I didn't cherry pick the buds, I just grabbed them and rolled them. There was a few percentage points lost in the cob test and that could just be due to the multiple buds used so it's more of an average. I wouldn't expect the terpenes to increase over time because they are volatile and some loss is unavoidable. The real magic is happening in the chemical process that is happening. There is hundreds of compounds in cannabis and they can only test for the main ones so there is still a lot of things that are happening they can't and don't even know really what to test for. Maybe someday a cannabis loving scientist will get their hands on a cob and will just have to figure out what is going on.
Very insightful my friend I couldn't agree more. Shit by the time science catches up to this they will not have any work to do.
You will have already signposted the varies roads for them hats off brother.

Damn... that is beautiful! Making my mouth water over here... please let us know how it is, when its time to try it out.
Thanks dajerm119 I fully intend to document the experience as I've enjoyed reading everybody's cobbing stories, and I owe it to everyone to share! Please wait for me haa!

Perfect brother start the slow drying and aging process and you will keep the taste and aromas as it ages.
Will do! Thanks for the guidance as always bruddah tangwena

Good luck Kismet. It can take up to 90 days without assistance to clear those metabolites from the urine streams. We're pulling for you. :hug:
Thanks Sue ! Trying to resist the chocolates i made for mom.
Got some different detox stuff to purge myself this week. Probably be just fine. Time to quit smoking for a week.

Thanks Sue ! Trying to resist the chocolates i made for mom.
Got some different detox stuff to purge myself this week. Probably be just fine. Time to quit smoking for a week.

I’d like that recipe please Kismet. :battingeyelashes:

Does everyone let the sweat bags cool to room temp before opening? If we are attempting to maximize flavor/aroma/effect in the cobs, after the sweat shouldn't it be specified to let the sealed bags cool to room temp to reabsorb the low temp volatile terpenes? Seems like common sense to me but I'm used to writing SOP's lol

I personally open at the time I take them out of the heat. To be honest, I never thought to let them cool to room temp first. It sounds like a decent idea.

What say the gathered crew? :battingeyelashes:

And hey.....”WOW!”

I personally open at the time I take them out of the heat. To be honest, I never thought to let them cool to room temp first. It sounds like a decent idea.
What say the gathered crew? :battingeyelashes:

And hey.....”WOW!”

Thanks SweetSue - gotta say "WOW!" back atcha - all these curing threads I've read here seem to have a heavy dose of SweetSueness....You have my respect!
I was reading up a year ago about curing and stumbled on the slow n low thread....curious if you ever used low n slow right after harvest to dry the buds to correct rh% for cobbing?

Thanks SweetSue - gotta say "WOW!" back atcha - all these curing threads I've read here seem to have a heavy dose of SweetSueness....You have my respect!
I was reading up a year ago about curing and stumbled on the slow n low thread....curious if you ever used low n slow right after harvest to dry the buds to correct rh% for cobbing?

Why yes I have CC. :battingeyelashes: I've done one cob that was rehydrated and was a success, and I've also tossed the buds into the fridge for about a week before cobbing. The moisture in both cases was sufficient to get fermentation started and completed.

I don't obsess with it the way I used to. I have too much going on all over the forum to be worrying about a simple thing like cobbing. It quickly became as easy to do as low and slo drying. I'm all about making it easier. Right now I'm enjoying the fruits of my earlier attempts and loving every minute of it.

Today I got to turn on one of my hosts to Dark Devil Auto cob, her first taste of cobs. It lowered her pain to the point that she temporarily forgot she was in pain from a bad hip and vacuumed the house, happy as could be. She was an excellent example of the power of cobs.

She felt the shift and smiled real big. Lol!

SweetSue, thanks for sharing that was what I wanted to know.
I happily have a narrow focus on the forum and that's researching sustainable cultivation and processing of organic flower and hash.
This cobbing technique tangwena (f*** yeah!) has shared is simple like making beer - and I'm drooling at all the different styles you can potentially master.
Since I grow outdoors I only have one chance a year to "go for broke" - you bet I'm obsessing to get all the best practices down asap....then next year it's easier for me.
Then I'll sit back and do smoke reports (of all the people I've pranked with cobs) watching the indoor growers fill in the between season - the ebb n flow...cheers to you all!

So, I've spent most of today making cobs. My fingers were starting to blister from all the tying so I had to change technique a few times.
These are Gorilla Glue cobs. I made them a bit bigger than the last batch to save on work, hopefully they'll like it. I put 60 grams in each. They have now kicked the Critical cobs out of the cobatron for 24 hrs while sweating these. The Critical cobs will have to sit behind the router while waiting for the cobatron to cool down again.
IMG_2715.jpg

So, I've spent most of today making cobs. My fingers were starting to blister from all the tying so I had to change technique a few times.
These are Gorilla Glue cobs. I made them a bit bigger than the last batch to save on work, hopefully they'll like it. I put 60 grams in each. They have now kicked the Critical cobs out of the cobatron for 24 hrs while sweating these. The Critical cobs will have to sit behind the router while waiting for the cobatron to cool down again.
IMG_2715.jpg
Handwork reminds me of old electronic control cabinet harness wrapping in industry. That's hard to do. Nice.

Thanks
Or perhaps I will get lots of new friends now... :p
Not so sure about the quality of the weed in the cobs though. I haven't had the best of quality with my previous grows of GGA. The taste has been bad. I figured some fermentation might hide any bad taste. But for all I know it could also get worse, so we'll see how it'll turn out.

I’d like that recipe please Kismet. :battingeyelashes:
Was a super simple one. 1 cup canna coconut oil,3/4 cup agave or raw organic honey on low heat to blend, Then add 1 cup cocoa powder.(used ghiradelli). Whisk til smooth pour in to a glass measuring cup. Pour into molds then into the freezer to set.They set fast maybe 20 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom