Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

Tangwena, thank you so much for sharing this with us. I started reading your original thread some time ago, and SweetSue's posts there, have now brought me here. Many thanks to you both, and everyone that's contributed to the threads thus far. I'm so excited seeing everyone's forays into cobbing.

I cut down my plants recently, and now have 5x ~1oz cobs on the go. The first is a few days older, the other four finished their sweat this morning. It's an unknown sativa bagseed, they all went in smelling of citrus and petrol, they all came out smelling of sweet green tea.

I'm looking forward to where this may take me.

Thank you, once again.

:welcome: Precipitous. How exciting....Unknown sativa bagseed typically turns out to be some of the best you've tasted, and I love your description of them coming out smelling like green tea. That made something click in the back of my mind.

We're thrilled that you joined our fermenting party, and look forward to hearing your accounts as you get through the cure. :battingeyelashes:

I had my fermenting cobs out to dry a bit for the beginning of the cure.

I’ll open them again on Tuesday and then they stay sealed until I return from vacation in early June.

When I had them open I was still doing the sensitization protocol, and I took no samples.

I had all the curing cobs open too, but for some reason I didn’t take any pictures. The Malawi cobs are done and when I return from vacation they’ll be beyond three months, ready to explore. I’ll have cobs to sample as I travel. :slide:
You have the touch my lady they look just right. I am going to have to pull my socks up keeping up with you guys around here some bloody beautiful cobs being flashed about ha ha.
I will be making some myself next week cant wait its like making babies at least for me it is ha ha

One quick question: when you re-open the cob to let ut dry to the touch, before resealing and curing, it is meant take away the corn-husk, right?
Dry the weed to the touch, not the husk? And the husk wont be needed anymore for the curing process?
I'm still far away from that, but i like to understand the details before jumping in

One quick question: when you re-open the cob to let ut dry to the touch, before resealing and curing, it is meant take away the corn-husk, right?
Dry the weed to the touch, not the husk? And the husk wont be needed anymore for the curing process?
I'm still far away from that, but i like to understand the details before jumping in
I re-wrapped mine in the dried husks before vacuuming for the first few weeks. Eventually, after there was no more moisture, I figured it was time to start curing and vacuumed them up without the husks.

I can’t really remember but I probably read it here that was the proper way or I just would’ve discarded the husks.

It doesn't matter I do both ways depending on how I feel at the time after the one month cure the skin is not needed.
During the touch drying stage I keep the skin on and dry until the skin is dry but its not critical and you can get good results both ways.
Let the cobs tell you what they want you to do go with your gut instinct it will be right.

heya friends,, no comments on the posts cuz there is way too many to read,, what fun this all is,,

just an update on some more experimenting i have been doing,, this time i was trying some cobs all wrapped up tight, in corn and in oven bag,,and tied up like a well tied up thing,, but was trying to go thru the rest of the process without using a vacuum sealer,, cuz i still do not own one tho i have a borrowed one,, but, hey, them bags add to the cost now dont they??

i have more cobs than i know what to do with,, some extremely successful harvests recently have left me with an abundance of the herb,, and, to get back to my comments on not vacuum sealing,, well,,

a complete failure,,

i had mold showing up within a week on a corn cobbed cob and a oven bag cob,, so no dif there

the pic i posted is the pits of a pic, but all i gots,, so

there are two thai cobs on the right,, and one blueberry cob on the left,, only thing to note is the different staining of the oven bags,, so very interesting to see it all happen

two thai cobs are over three weeks now,, blue is two weeks now,, unshown is the three og-x cobs i did last week,, the un sealed ones,, all sealed up now and slightly embarrassed,, who wants mold??

also unseen is the first og kush cob i did five weeks ago,, bit left,, and the lemon skunk cob i did four weeks ago,, all gone

also,, i have not yet mastered the art of chewing this stuff yet,, has not got me there so far,, still workin on that part

cheers friends,, cob forth and prosper,, y'all

Drat nivek! Mold! :hug: That’s a hard lesson to learn my friend, but it’s one we’ll remember. :hug:

More cobs than you know what to do with.... I giggled right out loud. :rofl:

@nivek its all in science. We will have some failures for sure. I would keep an eye out at the second hand stores, rummage sales or craigs list for one. You can find them cheap. I get my bags in the roll and cut them long. I can then cut them open do whats needed and re-seal in same bag. Helps with the cost of the bags.

On the mold issue, I took my weekly sample a couple weeks ago of the carnival and I took enough for the wife to chew for a few days. I stored it in a zip lock bag unsealed so it could continue to dry. By day 3 that sample was covered in mold. Which brings me to my concern and that's when it finally comes out of the vacuum seal how to prevent it from molding? Do you think storing it in a jar with a humidity pack will work? I can keep them vac sealed but that doesn't help someone I give a sample to to try.

when it finally comes out of the vacuum seal how to prevent it from molding?
Thats an easy one my friend you dry it. I have 3 year old cobs that are still a little moist in the center but only a little obviously not enough for mold to grow.
Once the month or so of curing is over they only benefit from age not moisture as in the curing.
You should never get mold if its been dried.
Check my thread over on IC a guy commented a couple of pages ago on "bloom"on aged cigars which is not mold but oxidisation of oils ect.
Not saying yours was not mold I am sure you know mold when you see it. But to look out for bloom in dry cobs I have seen it and never thought it was mold but not known what it was.

One week ferment update:
Seems to be chugging along just fine, it now smells like a Christmas pudding. Stewed fruit and star anise.
I honestly wasn't expecting such drastic changes, but I'm pleased so far.
Time to start slowly drying it my friend thats a nice deep fermented cure it will be like hash only better.
I have some new cobs doing their thing at the moment here are some GT buds from an organic outdoor scrog.
Very oily and lots of resin after 2 days drying. I got them just in time as the white sucking bugs were taking a liking to the buds.
Strong fruity pine smell cant wait to see how they cure.

Thank you for the advice, soon after posting I had revacced and returned it for the second week of fermenting, but I'll dial back and dry it to slow it down some.
It smells *fantastic*. A friend along for the ride isn't quite so impressed, but I'm enthralled.

That cob looks great, I love the variety of colours (and now learning, smells) that can be expressed with cobs.
Is that white bug an aphid? I fought/flailed a losing battle against them this time. Life stuff impacted harvest too, I'd have liked to leave them longer but everything came together as it did. I'll grow out some quality someday ha.

Edit: formatting, forums, how do even

***NSFW - aphids***

Thank you for the advice, soon after posting I had revacced and returned it for the second week of fermenting, but I'll dial back and dry it to slow it down some.
It smells *fantastic*. A friend along for the ride isn't quite so impressed, but I'm enthralled.

That cob looks great, I love the variety of colours (and now learning, smells) that can be expressed with cobs.
Is that white bug an aphid? I fought/flailed a losing battle against them this time. Life stuff impacted harvest too, I'd have liked to leave them longer but everything came together as it did. I'll grow out some quality someday ha.

Edit: formatting, forums, how do even

***NSFW - aphids***
Its called a mealie bug and they are bad news if left to their own devices I have been told. Lucky I got them early and the buds were ok. A little bit of extra protean for chewing ha ha.
a friend of mine chewed 1.4g of a very strong Indica cob and reports traveling in space completely out of his body for hours.
So they do work and the effects are what you would expect but very much stronger and super long lasting. He slept after tripping out for 6 hours, then slept for 8 hours like a coma ha ha

Its called a mealie bug and they are bad news if left to their own devices I have been told. Lucky I got them early and the buds were ok. A little bit of extra protean for chewing ha ha.
a friend of mine chewed 1.4g of a very strong Indica cob and reports traveling in space completely out of his body for hours.
So they do work and the effects are what you would expect but very much stronger and super long lasting. He slept after tripping out for 6 hours, then slept for 8 hours like a coma ha ha
When I chewed my cobs I skipped the 6 hours of tripping and went right into the 8 hour coma. For someone like me who has sleeping problems it was perfect! :thumb:

Well, II'll be making cobs by the end of the week. I figure all the under bud would make a nice multi strain cob. I'm going to do GigaBud and Ayahuasca Purple for sure. Maui Waui is a big oily sativa so maybe a small one. So possibly 4.

I'm going to roll them pretty tight with a bamboo sushi roller in corn husks. I have a food dehydrator to keep constant temps and a vacuum sealer to keep it awesome. It will be a groovey cool kinda day. ES

Heya gang, 5 days into cure and the dreaded white mould spore was spotted.
I am using zip seal bags as no vac seal, Bush living. Once spotted l removed cob and untied, I smelt bag and decided to throw away. With a paper towel soaked in vinegar, only had malt in cupboard, and wiped the cob to remove and kill mould spores on cob. If really bad I would have changed cobs, but only minimal and as I used fully wet bud to start the cob skin has an awesome honey colour sticky tacky residue I want to keep with the cob.
I then put cob skin and cob inner in the sun to dry. When crispy I re wrapped and wrapped in baking paper and in new bag for cure continue.

Hope this helps, I would assume if covered in mould maybe too far but you could drench or spray and wipe or Pat dry if needed.
Will post if flavour affected, but doesn't seem to be.

Heya gang, 5 days into cure and the dreaded white mould spore was spotted.
I am using zip seal bags as no vac seal, Bush living. Once spotted l removed cob and untied, I smelt bag and decided to throw away. With a paper towel soaked in vinegar, only had malt in cupboard, and wiped the cob to remove and kill mould spores on cob. If really bad I would have changed cobs, but only minimal and as I used fully wet bud to start the cob skin has an awesome honey colour sticky tacky residue I want to keep with the cob.
I then put cob skin and cob inner in the sun to dry. When crispy I re wrapped and wrapped in baking paper and in new bag for cure continue.

Hope this helps, I would assume if covered in mould maybe too far but you could drench or spray and wipe or Pat dry if needed.
Will post if flavour affected, but doesn't seem to be.

Mold doesn’t mean you can’t process the material for oil or QWET later. Both processes should kill any spores still in the material.

When I chewed my cobs I skipped the 6 hours of tripping and went right into the 8 hour coma. ... :thumb:

lol, well, our first "cob party" was interesting. We all chewed and vaped. None of us would say we were tripping, but we all got super-high. One of the group came by tonight, a week later, asking if he could have some more to try. I gave him a 2g chunk and sent him on his way. He said he wanted to try smoking it too, and since I don't smoke anymore I welcomed his assessment.

When I opened the vac bag I could tell it had changed again in this past week. As expected it was a bit more dry as a result of it sitting out for a long period last weekend, and the smells were already different too. I think with the drier product, some of the more familiar smells tend to become more readily available to my olfactory receptors.. Gonna wait another week to test this one again though...and I still have the unopened one that won't be opened for another 7 weeks minimum.

Back
Top Bottom