Tent Grow - Jack Herer - White Widow & Amnesia Haze - Mars II LED

How many ponytailing sessions are you in now Jim? I can see them opening up nicely. The undergrowth on the tighter plants like WW really respond to that training technique. They're looking mighty fine. :thumb:

I haven't done any training since discovering the leaf damage earlier. I need to get back on that process. I may take them out today and see what I should do with them. Both are at least growing nicely even if their little leaves are damaged slightly. Both got straight water yesterday with pH measured at 6.5. I calibrated my pH pen yesterday and it was OK.

It occurs to me that I might be trying to push the envelope here with lamps and nutes. I guess that's ok if the plants don't suffer; especially at the time of bud production. At that time nutes are actually changed and I have that Overdrive which is added. I will be diluting the nutes and my thoughts on pushing the plants going forward.

Jack Herer and White Widow - Day 34

The Tent girls are vegging right along. At some point this week I will actually top these two and I will attempt to propagate the tops....cloning if you prefer. JH is 10 1/2 inches tall x 10 inches wide. WW is 9 3/4" tall x 11" wide. As discussed earlier, there is some leaf damage but I think they still look very green and vigorous. I had them out this morning to play in their mix. Big Nano, my youngest cat wanted to play in Pic #6.

IMG_144425.JPG

View image in gallery

The leaf damage appears to be ancient history in the pictures. Are you seeing any damage on new growth?

Working under Graytail's tutelage has taught me quite a few of his tricks. One of the better ones he passed on was when to top. He used to push the envelope in an effort to get them into the bloom room faster and then he discovered if he waited until they were about 12-14" in height you'll notice, in his words

"She'll look like she wants to make a bolt upwards, but I stop her by snipping off the top."

Waiting until that later moment means the plant has more strength and reserves to recover more quickly from the decapitation. At this stage growth is so vigorous that with diligent bending and tucking alone the plant will establish a level canopy in a matter of days. It was amazing to watch that happen under even my novice hands. It was effortless. I encourage you to wait. If you need any further encouragement I suggest you ask Graytail himself for advice. He's always more than helpful and quite the insightful gardener, too. He has numerous examples of that point in his journals.

Let me share a private teachable moment from the Master himself. We were discussing the cut itself here, but the picture illustrates where he took this cut, and if you look close you can see why he chose this spot. He cut this one at a point between his little finger and his ring finger, but you can clearly see the node he chose to cut above and all the growth located there that benefitted from the freeing up of hormones. This picture was lifted right out of his journal. I can track the post for you if you'd like. That would be no problem for me.

Graytail said:
SweetSue said:
Hey Graytail. Student mode here. :nomo:

DSCN76561.JPG

When you top you cut halfway between the nodes? Is there some reason for that? I'm assuming it helps the plant heal better with less chance of disease setting in?

It's not halfway - more like a a tad from the lower node. In my own horticultural trimming I've always made the cut snug with the branch, but I read somewhere that it's better to leave a little more, just to ensure that you're not cutting too close. Maybe I left more than usual on that cut. I usually leave 1/8 to 1/4 inch, I'd say.

I tried to show that clearly when I topped my Carnival, a much bushier plant than the one used in this illustration, but the same principles at play.

Your lovely White Widow is very close, from the looks of her. The JH looks to be a couple days behind.

Give Big Nano a scratch behind that left ear for me. Sweet kitten. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Edit: It's such a tease, trying to root the tip. I'm not sure it can be accomplished yet, although I kept Carnival's, so I'm just as smitten with the dream. The best clones are taken from vigorous side branches, low down (part of the reason I used side lighting - to make those side branches bigger and healthier), cloning the new-growth tips, down about 7 nodes. I write that like I know what I'm talking about. :laughtwo: Best advice I can offer, you already know. When you're ready to do cloning, go directly to TOAST. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Sorry, it just bubbles out sometimes. :laughtwo:

Last point I need to make - Atrain and Graytail have both proven that you can't hit them with too much light. Well, I think Neikodog proved you could, but he went waaaay overboard, and eventually scaled back. LOL!

Jack Herer and White Widow - Day 36

These girls are just vegging away. I tried to use the auto white balance on this camera. Maybe I can take classes somewhere...LOL.

IMG_147823.JPG
IMG_147922.JPG

My little Dark Devil has been raised and I believe she's starting to "Grip it and Rip it"

IMG_148022.JPG

I've decided to swap this with a spare that I was using elsewhere. It just isn't reliable.

IMG_148120.JPG

Someone commented yesterday about hopping into the tent early in the morning. I just looked in before lights on to check the temperature. Outdoors it was 50F and 64F in the tent. I haven't yet turned on any heat in the house and the thermostat is usually set for 68F during Winter months. I'm going to have to do some research today on growing temperatures during lights off. Any help would be appreciated.

Gonna show pics under lights and natural light. JH and WW will come out today for inspection and some light LST.

Jack Herer

IMG_149315.JPG
IMG_149723.JPG

White Widow

IMG_149424.JPG
IMG_149818.JPG

Dark Devil

IMG_149528.JPG
IMG_149920.JPG

IMG_149627.JPG

Lovely greens you have there Jim.

I've always considered optimal to be somewhere around a 5-15 degree difference between daytime and nightime temps. Like they assured you, you're well within the lower ranges.

They look great Jim. That DD is so tiny it's hard to believe. It'll amount to much, huh? They can surprise you and what they lack in stature they make up for in punch.

MagicJim mate, I will confess something to you. On CERTAIN strains, I INTENTIONALLY make the room in the mid 50's during the mid to late flower period. It does nothing but wonders. I do know gardeners in Washington who run their rooms at around 73 lights on and about 53 lights off and they have crazy dusted product... though they are not organic and purely synthetic and hydro. So there is that to consider. Your girls look like they are ready to blossom into some bodacious babes ;)

Your temps are fine, and the girls look great

What these guys said Jim. :goodjob:

Lovely greens you have there Jim.

I've always considered optimal to be somewhere around a 5-15 degree difference between daytime and nightime temps. Like they assured you, you're well within the lower ranges.

They look great Jim. That DD is so tiny it's hard to believe. It'll amount to much, huh? They can surprise you and what they lack in stature they make up for in punch.

MagicJim mate, I will confess something to you. On CERTAIN strains, I INTENTIONALLY make the room in the mid 50's during the mid to late flower period. It does nothing but wonders. I do know gardeners in Washington who run their rooms at around 73 lights on and about 53 lights off and they have crazy dusted product... though they are not organic and purely synthetic and hydro. So there is that to consider. Your girls look like they are ready to blossom into some bodacious babes ;)

You folks sure know how to make a novice grower feel good. Sue, that special Dark Devil is ready to grow up. Thanks to all for the boost.

Re: Tent Grow - Jack Herer - White Widow

“When you get to the end of all the light you know and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen: either you will be given something solid to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly.”
― Edward Teller

Day 36

Topping day for White Widow and Jack Herer. They were 11 1/2 and 12 inches, respectively. I knew early this morning that I would need two rockwool cubes to soak up some distilled water and rooting powder. Then I went about sitting at the table with sterilized blade in hand ready to separate a cutting from each. I didn't count the nodes as that detail wasn't important to me.

The cuttings were trimmed and dipped in cloning gel, placed in little bowls inside plastic vegetable bags and filled with CO2 and tied off. The are now in the corners of the tent.

There's lots of training going on for both of the special ladies. There seems to be at least 6 lower branches on each plant that will get attention. About 4 branches on each are anchored today and big fans are being tugged lower. I really would like to veg about 3 more weeks just to see how much more development I can get here. I may top the lateral branches later today or tomorrow. I'm just not sure about that yet. Anyway....

White Widow

IMG_150421.JPG
IMG_150520.JPG
IMG_150620.JPG
IMG_150719.JPG
IMG_150830.JPG
IMG_150921.JPG
IMG_151023.JPG

Jack Herer

IMG_151318.JPG
IMG_151417.JPG
IMG_151619.JPG
IMG_151720.JPG
IMG_151919.JPG
IMG_152024.JPG
IMG_152117.JPG
IMG_152322.JPG

Hey Jim, try giving them a spray of epsom salt and water. Just put a pinch of it in a bottled water. Spray them for a couple days. Then on the third or fourth day just spray them with plain water to wash away any build up. Looks like it could be a magnesium deficiency. If the tips of the leaves are brown, then it may be a case of slight nutrient burn, and you may want to flush with plain water for a while. Minor things buddy, your plant should be fine.

Hey Jim, try giving them a spray of epsom salt and water. Just put a pinch of it in a bottled water. Spray them for a couple days. Then on the third or fourth day just spray them with plain water to wash away any build up. Looks like it could be a magnesium deficiency. If the tips of the leaves are brown, then it may be a case of slight nutrient burn, and you may want to flush with plain water for a while. Minor things buddy, your plant should be fine.

Thanks CyTheElectric. Great idea. I came to the same conclusion this morning after thinking about it overnight. I've got the flush planned when fully dry and I'm going to increase the Calmag in nutes to full strength from half strength.

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom