The Emerald City

What about the misting systems I remember from back in the days out in the desert. It would seem it would reduce the temp considerably, and reduce the sun intensity some. Might use too much water, don't have a clue.

That's gotta be a huge challenge, growing in your environment. You want the plants to get sun, but you don't want to fry them! Good luck with the shade-house, hope it works out. :goodluck:

Last year I built these for my plumeria trees, worked great so far as they didn't get fried up to a crisp. And they were in the ground. Many local landscapers use these shades for various plants. Plumerias, many of the smaller variety of palms and other shrubs too.

:cool:

Hey guys, as y’all know I’m more adept at indoor growing but am striking out to grow a plant outdoors this summer. I have considered a shade cloth similar, very similar actually, to what Age has done here.
At what point does one reach for the sun shade? I see temps in the 100’s at times. I’m not scared because I read MajorPITA’s journal where he experienced a whole bunch of terrible weather and was able to have a killer harvest. I know it can be done, just looking to shave as much off the ol’ outdoor learning curve as much as possible I guess.
I’m also wondering, Beez, what do you mean by fry them? Because they are in containers above ground?

I'm not sure I'll need these, but many landscapers in the area use these on plumerias, and other small shrubs & bushes during our summer months. I gotta go with the pro's in the area, they do what we do, but with many plants and hedgers not scissors! Now I'm growing a seasonal not a perennial so the growing method may change. I'm hoping I can get them big enough before long, so they can go against the wall with the phuck-iss. Only time will tell. They are in the sun right now!

im not real sure I no it gets hotter longer than here but mine were out there in the full sun in 5 gal buckets over 100 regularly some days 110 didn't seem to bother them there not crazy about it but they didn't get fried one year I made cardboard covers to go around the pots so they don't get to hot!

I hadn't thought about shielding the pots but thats a good idea! I could put them in the ground on the wall there and then create the shade barrier to stop the dogs from getting at them. They are still so tiny though, the scale really changes outside!

There are lots of grows up in the high desert area of Siskiyou County in Northern California. Day time temps get up over a 100 everyday. The sun is brutal up in that area because of the elevation. I don't think direct sun is actually an issue as long as they get plenty of water. Others seem to grow in extreme temps without issues also. Have you had light damage growing outside? I don't know, just thinking aloud.

What about the misting systems I remember from back in the days out in the desert. It would seem it would reduce the temp considerably, and reduce the sun intensity some. Might use too much water, don't have a clue.

As far as the outside temp, maybe alone it would be ok, but I'm thinking the pool and the white wall create a sun oven of sorts. I'll slowly acclimate the plants to the sun, but I'm thinking for a few hours mid day @InTheShade will be great break for them. This'll be my first time for a full grow outside, any outside... I'm sure I'll be learning a bunch, I've got my other plants to help me, and of course, all the fine characters flying high around here @420magazine!

As for the misting system, I like the idea, was telling @InTheShed he should try it in his Cloninator®. If I were going to run something like that I'd run it along the wall underneath the brick. That would be a cool add on for an outdoor garden. I was going to replace the sprinklers but I'll wait til it cools off again in November.

I hate the heat with the passion of our burning star, know what I mean Vern...?

Y'all got me thinkin bout different stuff again and I like it!!!!!!!

Smoke'm if ya gottem!!!!

:ganjamon:

Last year I built these for my plumeria trees, worked great so far as they didn't get fried up to a crisp. And they were in the ground. Many local landscapers use these shades for various plants. Plumerias, many of the smaller variety of palms and other shrubs too.

I'm not sure I'll need these, but many landscapers in the area use these on plumerias, and other small shrubs & bushes during our summer months. I gotta go with the pro's in the area, they do what we do, but with many plants and hedgers not scissors! Now I'm growing a seasonal not a perennial so the growing method may change. I'm hoping I can get them big enough before long, so they can go against the wall with the phuck-iss. Only time will tell. They are in the sun right now!

I hadn't thought about shielding the pots but thats a good idea! I could put them in the ground on the wall there and then create the shade barrier to stop the dogs from getting at them. They are still so tiny though, the scale really changes outside!

As far as the outside temp, maybe alone it would be ok, but I'm thinking the pool and the white wall create a sun oven of sorts. I'll slowly acclimate the plants to the sun, but I'm thinking for a few hours mid day @InTheShade will be great break for them. This'll be my first time for a full grow outside, any outside... I'm sure I'll be learning a bunch, I've got my other plants to help me, and of course, all the fine characters flying high around here @420magazine!

As for the misting system, I like the idea, was telling @InTheShed he should try it in his Cloninator®. If I were going to run something like that I'd run it along the wall underneath the brick. That would be a cool add on for an outdoor garden. I was going to replace the sprinklers but I'll wait til it cools off again in November.

I hate the heat with the passion of our burning star, know what I mean Vern...?

Y'all got me thinkin bout different stuff again and I like it!!!!!!!

Smoke'm if ya gottem!!!!

:ganjamon:
I am smoking them lol hey when we put those little things outside they do look awful small lol if it were me I would dig holes and put them in the ground its the best way to grow and then put a little fence or something in front to keep the dog out and your good to go!

I’m also wondering, Beez, what do you mean by fry them?
Pretty much what the others alluded to. 115F, low humidity, a bit of elevation (high dessert if I remember correctly ) and direct sunlight just sounds like sizzling conditions. But these plants are pretty tough, so maybe unnecessary worry.

I've taken the pictures and tended all my gardens. Two inside and the great outdoors. Still more to do, but it's break time. This hobby is consuming me. Soon my knee will be well enough that I'm able to start home projects again. First up will be the utility sink in the laundry room, we don't have mud rooms in Southern Cal, no need where I live!

Garden update, here we go!

Purple Amnesia Auto ~ Dope Seeds. I flushed the coco/ perlite and got most of the roots outs. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle..? Judges ruling? Seems to be going well so far. I think she'll be ready for more Calmag in her diet soon.

Just topped the candida today. She's got Legs! ~ ZZ Top

Praise the lord Kush Auto has returned! Trimmed her up this morning and waiting for those shoots to shoot!!!

I transplanted the Berry Bomb Clone V1.1, today, she's gone into the flower tent with her sister. And yes those are the roots, are you fuckin kidding me, OMG look at that root ball!!!!!!!!!!

Forget the legs, she's got feet!!!!! Who want's Angel Hair?!?!?!?!

In case you haven't seen my write up on stress free transplants and/ or up canning.

Successful landing. Now just fill in the top with the rest of the fresh coco, let acclimate and first feeding tonight before her first lights out. It's flip day for this one. 3 days early GROW GIRL GROW!!!!!!!!!!

All prettied up and ready to meet her new roommates!

Did you forget about the Trinity Kush...? I didn't and that's what I'm talkin bout buddy!!!!!!!!!! First hairs bout a week ago!

Cherry Bomb Auto, idk either, whatever... @Kingjoe83 said the buds are good so she's stayin around...

The other Berry Bomb Clone V1.2

Obligatory horrible Blurple Shot of an amazing plant. I thinned out the middle a bit and got sticky hands doin it too. She's smells so good!!!!!

The Ultra Lemon Haze Auto. She's got about 3.5 weeks til full term. She's just exploding. I noticed some yellowing on the higher up leaves. I think I'ma take her down off the step and give her space from the QB!

Thanks for checkin out my stable of fun have a great Sunday!

Except for Amy, you have yourself a 420Monday!

<iframe src="Smoke Weed GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY" width="480" height="254" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

I've taken the pictures and tended all my gardens. Two inside and the great outdoors. Still more to do, but it's break time. This hobby is consuming me. Soon my knee will be well enough that I'm able to start home projects again. First up will be the utility sink in the laundry room, we don't have mud rooms in Southern Cal, no need where I live!

Garden update, here we go!

Purple Amnesia Auto ~ Dope Seeds. I flushed the coco/ perlite and got most of the roots outs. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle..? Judges ruling? Seems to be going well so far. I think she'll be ready for more Calmag in her diet soon.

Just topped the candida today. She's got Legs! ~ ZZ Top

Praise the lord Kush Auto has returned! Trimmed her up this morning and waiting for those shoots to shoot!!!

I transplanted the Berry Bomb Clone V1.1, today, she's gone into the flower tent with her sister. And yes those are the roots, are you fuckin kidding me, OMG look at that root ball!!!!!!!!!!

Forget the legs, she's got feet!!!!! Who want's Angel Hair?!?!?!?!

In case you haven't seen my write up on stress free transplants and/ or up canning.

Successful landing. Now just fill in the top with the rest of the fresh coco, let acclimate and first feeding tonight before her first lights out. It's flip day for this one. 3 days early GROW GIRL GROW!!!!!!!!!!

All prettied up and ready to meet her new roommates!

Did you forget about the Trinity Kush...? I didn't and that's what I'm talkin bout buddy!!!!!!!!!! First hairs bout a week ago!

Cherry Bomb Auto, idk either, whatever... @Kingjoe83 said the buds are good so she's stayin around...

The other Berry Bomb Clone V1.2

Obligatory horrible Blurple Shot of an amazing plant. I thinned out the middle a bit and got sticky hands doin it too. She's smells so good!!!!!

The Ultra Lemon Haze Auto. She's got about 3.5 weeks til full term. She's just exploding. I noticed some yellowing on the higher up leaves. I think I'ma take her down off the step and give her space from the QB!

Thanks for checkin out my stable of fun have a great Sunday!

Except for Amy, you have yourself a 420Monday!

<iframe src="Smoke Weed GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY" width="480" height="254" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>
lol your plants are all looking very nice age that ulh what a monster good work bud its always nice to come and look at your grow very:goodjob:

Pretty much what the others alluded to. 115F, low humidity, a bit of elevation (high dessert if I remember correctly ) and direct sunlight just sounds like sizzling conditions. But these plants are pretty tough, so maybe unnecessary worry.
Looking good Age! Damn those roots!

Thanks for the breakdown @BeezLuiz :thumb:
I’ve let young tender plants get too much sun and they got really lifeless until I cooled them off a little. I’d be gutted to find a big plant like I found them.
Not sure if you guys are familiar with Doc Buds product, Destress, but I plan to use it for dealing with the hot days, the training, high winds, etc.

I just heard that its a good idea to cover them like you suggested between 1-4 and mist them often of course not when the full sun is on them he did say some strains might not make it but I think its a good experiment!

That cool Sticky, thanks for finding that out. Ive got more damn alarms set...

Looking good Age! Damn those roots!

Not sure if you guys are familiar with Doc Buds product, Destress, but I plan to use it for dealing with the hot days, the training, high winds, etc.

IKR!

Whats Destress?

Whats Destress?
Disclaimer: this product is not Necessarily meant to be used in all soils. It states on the site it is for “This product helps plants heal and deal with stress while providing a broad spectrum of trace minerals.”
Also, “Suitable for use by any organic, super soil, or hydroponic gardeners.”
Those are quotes from the website.

Now having said/quoted all that, I’ve used the leftovers on plants around the backyard and though they aren’t in super soil or anything they handle it just fine and they look good and healthy.
Hope that helps someone.

Great looking plants you have there Age! You know I'll be keeping a close eye on your Northern Lights. :)

Age I’m pretty excited to watch your outdoor grow, eventually I can’t wait to try it myself. Have you grown any veggies outside?

Not really soup, both my kids are in graden club at skool tho. They will help!

Well I can tell you mid to late flower the smell came on strong with mine. I hope she turns out to be as tasty as mine .

Fingers crossed for you bud!:passitleft:

Speaking of off to have coffee and roll
One! ✊
Wakenbake fuh-evuh evuh

:D:love:

I did thank you :ciao:

Liking how your garden grows :yummy:

Thanks Amy! I think ive got rats eatin my weed at night. Chicken wire cages for outdoor adventurers!

Are the winters cold down south?

Disclaimer: this product is not Necessarily meant to be used in all soils. It states on the site it is for “This product helps plants heal and deal with stress while providing a broad spectrum of trace minerals.”
Also, “Suitable for use by any organic, super soil, or hydroponic gardeners.”
Those are quotes from the website.

Now having said/quoted all that, I’ve used the leftovers on plants around the backyard and though they aren’t in super soil or anything they handle it just fine and they look good and healthy.
Hope that helps someone.

Thanks Archi, i was thinking a foliar spray. Faster rooting of clones... like 7-10 days is a long time...

Great looking plants you have there Age! You know I'll be keeping a close eye on your Northern Lights. :)

Right on Beez, i’ll keep a light on for ya!

———————/————————————

Like i mentioned to Amy, i think rats are the culprits eating my plants. Dirty little fuckers, they run wild out here though not as bad as where i used to live. I think everybody is goin in a bucket today with CWPS.

I wonder if the rats are gonna eat thru the wire to get at my freshy fresh greens!

:yummy:

I think you might owe your dogs an apology.... :sorry:

I think you might owe your dogs an apology.... :sorry:

Nah, I didn't beat them. I just tell her to get down when she goes up there and she doesn't get out unsupervised anymore. It's ok, she's young and fiesty. I know she'll die before anybody in my house is hurt, she's a great dog. And so is Mav, he's my first big dog. 85 lbs of love and slober, but I wouldn't make him mad either...

I love my dogs!

Thanks Archi, i was thinking a foliar spray. Faster rooting of clones... like 7-10 days is a long time...
Destress is perfect mixed at 1/4 strength not only to aid in faster rooting of clones, but I’m currently using it on all my cannabis plants as my integrated pest management. You can spray it, at the reduced strength, daily at lights on/sunup and it will irritate pests :high-five:

Destress is perfect mixed at 1/4 strength not only to aid in faster rooting of clones, but I’m currently using it on all my cannabis plants as my integrated pest management. You can spray it, at the reduced strength, daily at lights on/sunup and it will irritate pests :high-five:

I'm thinking I'll need something a bit stronger for the rats. I picked up some Fowl Wire today. Construction in progress! Updates to follow later this week, not sure what I'm building yet... But I've got supplies, Oh, Have I got supplies!

Back
Top Bottom