The gas lantern routine

Been away for a while so couldn't answer.

Actually in the dark the ATP that is created by the light is used to change the CO2 into sugar. And when its in flower he can use up that sugar to create energy for the buds.

If the plant doesn't get his dark time he won't have that much sugar stored so as a result less buds/thc

I need to set something right.
The dark reaction (reduction of CO2 to glucose) isn't restricted to the dark and happens in daylight also. So the 24/0 thing can fit but still refusing to believe that a plant doesn't need darktime in veg :p.

Yeah, the dark cycle is named the dark cycle not cause it happens in the dark, but that it doesnt need light to complete it. As opposed to the Light Cycle, which requires light.

I need to set something right.
The dark reaction (reduction of CO2 to glucose) isn't restricted to the dark and happens in daylight also. So the 24/0 thing can fit but still refusing to believe that a plant doesn't need darktime in veg :p.

Here you go Sana, I cut a pasted this from another thread here on 420. This is from The Butcher.

"So heres some facts to help all of figure this one out.

1) Plants do need sleep
2) Evolutions has changed the structure of plants, just as it done to human organisms. ( Darwin)
3) Plants have developed a time-keeping mechanism, called a "Circadian Clock".
4) Circadian Clock helps to control a plants sensitivity to a hormone called auxin.
5) Auxins is a plant hormone often called phytohormone. Auxins play a vital role in alignment of many growth and behavioral processes in the structuring of a plant life cycle.
5) Plants weather they have light and or dark periods, shut down. Plant may appear to be awake, however their Circadian Clock does control Auxins, which are in place to help to ensure that plants do have a structured sleep period. This along with helping the plant to adjust to the changes of said plants environment.

Sorry to burst everyones bubbles, but nothing changes unless you set the plant into bloom. Plants will sleep in the dark or light. Their growth pattern does not change, a plant can only produce so much foliage before needing to shut down and re-energize. So even at a 24/0, 20/4, 18/6, 16/8 light schedule, the plant will shut down and start up again once he/she is ready to wake back up. Again, thats' once said plant has set a schedule for itself to survive. The only real time that we control a plant is when we feed or change the life cycle from Vegetative to Bloom. Outside of that all plants are living, they eat, breathe and grow at their own pace, not ours."

Plants grow faster with 24 hours of light

Plants grow faster with 24 hours of light. Get two 150w HPS. Put one identical clone under each in its own identical box, one at 18 hours the other at 24. The one under 24 will grow faster. I did this myself and now I know. After one month both clones were healthy but the 24 was bigger and had shorter internode length. Try this yourself and post results.

hey guys just reading your thread and everyone is dead on. the switching the lights on and off thing is bad. just unneeded stress and your gonna get seedy hemp. i use light stress to force a hermie so i could pollinate another female to produce feminized seeds. as for the lighting i would do 20 - 4 for clippings and i always veg 18 and 6. 24 hours on is just a waste of money. the plants still need to sleep to photosynthesize and grow right. if power consumption is an issue go 12 12 from seed. gotta remember some parts of the world are just 12/ 12 too. no lighting flashes or light issues should happen in flower at all. when its night night time for them it should be total darkness. happy growin to all of you guys :)

Has anyone here tried this technique yet? Or is everyone just bashing the idea? I read another article on gas lantern, and the photos are convincing. Even if the pot quality is the same, you save energy and money. It seems everyone is trying to disprove the idea without actually doing a test for themselves.

To actually observe this method, wouldn't it have to be taken all the way from start to finish? Has anyone done that? I'm just wondering because, I'm interested in anything that will reduce costs, and/or improve efficiency, and/or improve quality.

I've read everyone saying that 18/6 works, and 24/0 is best. I'm done with that, I get it.

I want to know if anyone has actually tried this routine(start to finish), and what the results were from that test.

Please refrain from using your obviously flawless logic to disprove the idea. This is not about which light cycle is best, this is about how well the Gas Lantern Routine works.

I'm pretty sure it will work, and have good harvest but the thing is that he has less time to get energy from the light.
What could be is that the plant just doesn't have the nutes or root space to benefit from more light or simply suffices with 12 hours of light and after that it doesn't really take in much more. It would be a great test to do side by side but i don't have the stuff to make a good side by side. It would be a great test.
So if u would do it it would be great!

Re: Plants grow faster with 24 hours of light

Plants grow faster with 24 hours of light. Get two 150w HPS. Put one identical clone under each in its own identical box, one at 18 hours the other at 24. The one under 24 will grow faster. I did this myself and now I know. After one month both clones were healthy but the 24 was bigger and had shorter internode length. Try this yourself and post results.

If we know that a plant will shut down when it feels like it, then we can deduce that leaving the light source on at all times will ensure that whenever the plant decides it is ready to take in more light, there will be a waiting source. If the light is set to 18/6, then the plant could potentially shut down light intake after 14 hours, rest for 5 hours, and upon waking to receive more beams, have to wait 5 hours until it could start feeding again. Even if you feel that 18 hours of light per day is all it needs, how do you know which 6 hours to turn off the light?

EDIT: posted before I read the "flawless argument" post. <awkward>

Re: Plants grow faster with 24 hours of light

If we know that a plant will shut down when it feels like it, then we can deduce that leaving the light source on at all times will ensure that whenever the plant decides it is ready to take in more light, there will be a waiting source. If the light is set to 18/6, then the plant could potentially shut down light intake after 14 hours, rest for 5 hours, and upon waking to receive more beams, have to wait 5 hours until it could start feeding again. Even if you feel that 18 hours of light per day is all it needs, how do you know which 6 hours to turn off the light?

EDIT: posted before I read the "flawless argument" post. <awkward>

Ok, Mr foot in mouth here, thought I should share an update with you guys. Twelve12 has a really nice grow going on right now, and he is having some amazing results with the gas lantern :

Update: Gas Lantern Routine - 2nd Week Completion

To recap the Gas Lantern Routine; basically it uses 12/12 photoperiod with 1hr on during the dark hours, for vegetative growth.

Goes like this.

* 12hrs on
* 5.5hrs off
* 1hr on
* 5.5 off
* repeat

Before the switch.
MG_1697.jpg

1 week later
MG_1782.jpg

2 weeks later
MG_1845.jpg

Still no sign of pistils/balls, that's a good thing. 2 more weeks to go before we'll give this a passing grade.

The Pineapple Express (prime focus) has grown tremendously in 2 weeks.
MG_1696.jpg

MG_1786.jpg

MG_1847.jpg

Next update on Thrusday (12am). :love:

This was a week ago. You should go check out his journal if this interests you .Twelve12's Perpetual Grow

I think this is the article you are getting your info from. It sounds worth a try to me. I just started 3 Tangerine Dreams and 2 Auto Big Bangs so I'm late on this current grow, but I'll give it a shot on my next one.

"Grow Bigger and Better saving 30-50% on your energy cost!"

Saturday, 29 January 2011 03:30
Written by Joseph R. Pietri

How to reduce the cost of growing cannabis saving 30-50% on your electricty bill using the 12-1 lighting schedule.

The biggest innovator in the history of cannabis in my generation is Reinhard Delp. Not only did he invent and is the holder of the patent for ice water extraction, he has been building flower forcers since 1992. His new solar powered Sun-gate is the leader of the industry. He was the first to feminize seeds and sell them in Europe in the late 90’s. His process was done naturally, without the use of any chemicals.

No one is more copied but seldom matched than Mr. Delp, who to me is the top grower of our generation. The first time he impressed me he showed me 2 plants, planted next to one another, 1 completely covered in powdery mildew, the other completely clean and beautiful. He was developing mildew and mold resistant genetics.

In the late 90’s Reinhard brought back the gas lantern routine that you find in any college grade horticulture book, and applied it to cannabis. Cannabis needs only 13 hours to stay in the vegetative growth stage. The 18-6 lighting schedule in vegetation, actually stress your plants, that never get that much light in one-day outdoors. Cannabis is an outdoor plant. Growing indoors you should copy how it grows outdoors. No Cannabis growing in Afghanistan gets 18 hours of light in growth pattern. Most strains today have some part Indica in their genetic pool. Even equatorial strains don’t get 18 hours of sun a day.

The 12-1 lighting schedule is as follows 12 hours lights on, 5.5 lights off, 1-hour lights on, 5.5 lights off, and repeat schedule. The 1 hour on in between off period fools the plants that stay in vegetative growth state! Your immediate savings are 5 hours in energy costs daily, as well as your bulbs and equipment lasting longer. But how do the plants react to this lighting schedule?

You see immediate growth response from your plants, they are happy from the added rest time. By day 14 the plants tripled in size. The plants are bushy with twice as many bud sites without topping or bending, In fact when you top and stretch your plants out, you get many more bud sites than you would have had under 18-6 using same procedure of topping and stretching plant, your growing bigger and better and faster.

So your saving 5 hours daily in energy costs, as well as your excellerated growth pattern which also saves you time and energy and equipment use.

In the flowering stage, never use 12-12, start your flowering period at 11 hours on 13 hours off. When your are growing outdoors each day you get less and less sun light, you should copy the way the sun acts naturally in your indoor grow. So first 2 weeks of flower you go 11 on 13 off, the next 2 weeks you go down to 10.5 on 13.5 off, next 2 weeks 10 on 14 off, next two weeks 9.5 on 14.5 off and the last weeks of flower you should be at 9 hours on and 15 hours off. You’ll get bigger and better buds by copying the way the sun light works on cannabis outdoors.

Cannabis is an outdoor plant and you should copy the way it grows outdoors indoors. The only thing that 18-6, and then 12-12 lighting schedule's do is make the energy companies rich as well as the people who sell lights and equipment, the more you use the more you spend. 12-1 lighting schedule is a more natural way to grow indoors and you well have the best results you have ever had and save as much as 50% in energy costs.

I think this is the article you are getting your info from. It sounds worth a try to me. I just started 3 Tangerine Dreams and 2 Auto Big Bangs so I'm late on this current grow, but I'll give it a shot on my next one.

"Grow Bigger and Better saving 30-50% on your energy cost!"
Saturday, 29 January 2011 03:30
Written by Joseph R. Pietri
How to reduce the cost of growing cannabis saving 30-50% on your electricty bill using the 12-1 lighting schedule.

That's a very interesting article. Thanks for posting PotChimp :thumb:

I believe in the GL routine now. What I find interesting is the reduction of light during flower. I realize it copies nature, but sometimes we can outdo nature...idk, very interesting.

I thought about it and said fuggidwaddufug and turned my seedling/veg timer to this GLS schedule. Those TDs are only about 3 wks old and the ABBs five days so I should still have enough time to see if it makes a difference. Or better yet, if it doesn't :)
I thought about it some more and turned my 5 Pineapple Expresses down to the 11/13 schedule this article recommends. They're only about a week from harvest so I don't want to hit them with that last week 9/15 thing because they might hermie on me from the stress of a big change like that.
I switched the lights to 11/13 on my 4 Sativas, too. I just started flowering them about a week ago so I will follow this method all the way on that grow to see how well it produces. :goodluck:

I thought about it and said fuggidwaddufug and turned my seedling/veg timer to this GLS schedule. Those TDs are only about 3 wks old and the ABBs five days so I should still have enough time to see if it makes a difference. Or better yet, if it doesn't :)
I thought about it some more and turned my 5 Pineapple Expresses down to the 11/13 schedule this article recommends. They're only about a week from harvest so I don't want to hit them with that last week 9/15 thing because they might hermie on me from the stress of a big change like that.
I switched the lights to 11/13 on my 4 Sativas, too. I just started flowering them about a week ago so I will follow this method all the way on that grow to see how well it produces. :goodluck:

Taking it up a notch! :thumb:

I don't blame you for not wanting to shock those PE's. That's too much time invested.

Looking forward to the progress on the sativas. I have an L.A. Con. that has been on 18/6 for not quite three weeks, in my DIY cabinet. Think it would stress it dropping to the GLR?

tradition runs hard and deep in every aspect of human experience and knowledge bases.
the only way to REALLY know is to do it yourself.

I understand that everyone is an advocate of 24 hours continual veg, I am not. As noted above, plants sleep whether the light is on or not, this tells me, (with flawless logic) that they need a rest period. What, exactly, that rest period is composed of is up to the grower....the 24 hour thing may work for you and thats great, it may be a coincidence that the people I have known that use it also use hydroponics....

I read an article by DJShort where the lighting type (and photoperiod) actually influene phenotypical expression, he says that the 18/6 (and higher) routines tend to emphasize the indica dominant aspects of the genotype. His theory is that the lighting photoperiod MAY have been THE factor which, over time, caused cannabis to 'specialize' into the indica subtype. So it is possible that these 'light bombings' (as well as having the light as close as humanly possible to the plant) *could* be one of the reasons why the indica type is sp prominent. He also believes that, in his own words, "this type of lighting only allows the lower range of the palate of flavors to express themselves"
he thinks that super-intense light close up for long periods of time actually discourages the plant from generating higher more chemically complex terpenoids.

I am not trying to disrespect anyone, you all seem like a great bunch, just thought I'd throw that out.

namaste

This hour on in the middle of dark cycle flowering is BS. The hormone that forces flower degrades with any amount of light, so that hour on FUBAR's the hormones ability to buildup enough to bud out. then the 1/2 buildup of hormones can also cause hermie.

If fact the best way to hermie is to fuck with the regular light schedule.

Back
Top Bottom