The gas lantern routine

This hour on in the middle of dark cycle flowering is BS. The hormone that forces flower degrades with any amount of light, so that hour on FUBAR's the hormones ability to buildup enough to bud out. then the 1/2 buildup of hormones can also cause hermie.

If fact the best way to hermie is to fuck with the regular light schedule.
Have you ever tried the Gas Lantern Routine or are you just debunking it from pure speculation or heresay?

This hour on in the middle of dark cycle flowering is BS. The hormone that forces flower degrades with any amount of light, so that hour on FUBAR's the hormones ability to buildup enough to bud out. then the 1/2 buildup of hormones can also cause hermie.

If fact the best way to hermie is to fuck with the regular light schedule.

It's not during flower when this routine is used. This is for the veg period.

I was going to say the same. But had to respond to keep an eye on the topic anyways.

I was going to say the same. But had to respond to keep an eye on the topic anyways.

I think the point that he is trying to make (not saying that I agree with it) is that there is no good time to use GLR, as it will not allow the plant to build up enough hormones to flower, and at the same time the partial buildup of those hormones, while not enough to bud, will cause ur plants to turn male.
I have been using GLR for 3 weeks on my grow from seed. I have beautiful plants, and this is my first ever grow, so I'm screwing up a LOT, but this light cycle is no screw-up. Forget the energy savings, I save enough by making my own meds! The part I love is the decrease in heat, which means less noisy cooling and venting, and less stress on my babies. Even if there was a reduction in yield or potency, some would find the energy and heat savings worth it(saving 8 hours of hot lights running during HOT summer months?), but the fact that the plants seem to really like the lighting, too, makes it win-win. I provided a link to Twelve12's journal weeks ago (even tho no one sed it- ur welcome:)), and you can now also check out my journal to see what a noob's plants look like under GLR.

I did the 12-1 veg cycle. Works fine, the plants grow faster with 18-6 and even faster with 24-0. I have used 12-1 for both heat issues and to keep my veg plants from getting to big before moving into the flower area. I am also wondering if 12-1 will help with get more roots and smaller plants during veg.

Sauron, Yes that's what I was referring too. From my readings I have done on it and in general on the plants cycles, this routine does not cause hermies which that other poster was referring. From my readings, the amount of light during the dark cycle to completely change the "state" the plant is in is beyond 1hr. I read it as 2 hrs interruption iirc. The GLR is being used during veg was also what we (Yarddog and myself) were referring too. In other words, when we want to make them go into flower we apply the 12/12 routine. But in veg, with the interruption (using GLR) we effectively dont allow the 12/12 to happen and thus they stay in veg state and the grower is saving on his utilities and what not.

If we think about the plant and our regular routines, some folks switch by going 12/12, others do a 24-36hr lights out. But they plant doesnt go into flower in 1 day. It has a transitional period during the 12/12. Commonly 1 week to 10 days until pistils appear and it's truly into flower.

GLR appears to not be allowing this by not having that true 12/12 going on.

I'm not using this routine, but I see the thinking behind it, and if it works, that's cool. During veg I'm going 24/0 so I could see a real savings in this too if I set my stuff up for it. Right now I'm just trying to finish a grow and keep my clones going, so this is all just an interesting read to me.

(3) Tangerine Dreams; (2) Big Bang Autos (grown under GLR, and switched to 12/12, then 11/13 after 4 weeks of flowering):
002762.JPG
008514.JPG

I've been watching and they just started to show hairs a few weeks ago. I don't see hermies yet (a little early maybe), but as far as growth goes I have to cut the top of the plants off more because they are running into the lights. I'm sold on the growth end of this lighting routine so far; I'll report back on the yield end when flowering is complete.

Note : I'm doing a comparison study (for myself) using Joint Doctor Lowryder #1 under GLR for the first grow, 18/6 for the second, and 20/4 for the last to see how autos yield with this method.

Well you've got an Alaskan to answer some of the light questions... Yes we get 18+ hours of daylight in the summer time, and if you go far enough north in Alaska the sun doesn't set for months during the summer. But in the winter we get the opposite ranging from 18 hours of darkness all the way to no sunlight for months in the far north. You guys just have to remember how large Alaska really is, it's 1/3 the size of the continental US, stretches from coast to coast and from boarder to boarder. And being this far north we have a large variation of daylight/darkness hours across the state.

Everyone has heard that saying "Everything is Bigger in Texas", it's real in Alaska! If you don't go too far north just about everything grows like mad with the long daylight hours, the only problem is the length of the growing season is soo short.

IMHO plants need rest, throughout all time plants have evolved with time for rest. However our girls have such short sweet lives the little rest they get on an 18/6 or 20/4 during veg probably won't make a difference. The factors that seem important in deciding 24/0 or not to me would be budget or what you do with your crop. Is it personal use, a small grow op, or are you a commercial grower. How much do you stand to gain by going 24/0 over 18/6 or GLR?

I am looking forward to the results from the GLR grows.

Interesting read... heres something from a wiki :peace:

Light

Light can be natural (outdoor growing) or artificial (indoor growing).

When artificial light is used, from the germination until the flowering stage, the plant typically remains under a regime of 16—20 hours of light and 4—8 hours of darkness, although the plant can use a full 24 hours of light without harm. It is worth noting that there is an ongoing debate over the importance of the "Dark Period". It has been proven that, when subjected to a regimen of constant light without a dark period, most types of flora, including Cannabis, will begin to show signs of decreased photosynthetic response, as well as lack of vigor, and an overall decrease in vascular development. There is no defined "flowering stage", unless you are discussing an auto-flowering variety. Typically, flowering is induced by changing the light schedule to 12/12, or 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness. Flowering in cannabis is triggered by a hormonal reaction within the plant that is set on by an increase in its dark cycle. In other words, a plant needs sufficient prolonged darkness for calyx development(flowering) to begin. Sativa generally takes as little as 8 hours of dark to begin flowering, whereas Indica can take up to 13.

Cannabis cultivation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting read... heres something from a wiki :peace:

Light

Light can be natural (outdoor growing) or artificial (indoor growing).

When artificial light is used, from the germination until the flowering stage, the plant typically remains under a regime of 16—20 hours of light and 4—8 hours of darkness, although the plant can use a full 24 hours of light without harm. It is worth noting that there is an ongoing debate over the importance of the "Dark Period". It has been proven that, when subjected to a regimen of constant light without a dark period, most types of flora, including Cannabis, will begin to show signs of decreased photosynthetic response, as well as lack of vigor, and an overall decrease in vascular development. There is no defined "flowering stage", unless you are discussing an auto-flowering variety. Typically, flowering is induced by changing the light schedule to 12/12, or 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness. Flowering in cannabis is triggered by a hormonal reaction within the plant that is set on by an increase in its dark cycle. In other words, a plant needs sufficient prolonged darkness for calyx development(flowering) to begin. Sativa generally takes as little as 8 hours of dark to begin flowering, whereas Indica can take up to 13.

Cannabis cultivation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plus rep to you! Thanks for copying that over. I love wiki, but never used it to look up anything cannabis related.

Two things I noticed in the read. One being why I love wiki. "It is worth noting that there is an ongoing debate over the importance of the "Dark Period". They are always up to date even if it is a very general statement.

Two: "It has been proven that, when subjected to a regimen of constant light without a dark period, most types of flora, including Cannabis, will begin to show signs of decreased photosynthetic response, as well as lack of vigor, and an overall decrease in vascular development".

Interesting. I've been running my clones on 24/0 light because I have no timer there. And I ran my tent at 24/0 under my led because I had heard it was ok to do so. Probably should have made use of 4-6 hrs lights out just for my damn electrical bill alone.

Gas lantern routine may be okay for non mature plants but what about clones that are from a mother that is 5 years+. When it's older I noticed you have to be more careful because the plant takes it's cues from the light. So I was bad mouthing glr. Straight bias.

yes please can anyone link to actual usage study?
In terms of hot summer heat
Yes some real data might be some help.
I really am tired of sifting through so many other threads just to get an objective opinion of the facts.
This one can do without so many" I heard this or that".
It would really be appreciated if a thread could be labled:
fact, conjecture, or stoners patting each other on the back.
Plus it would be really appreciated if people would use punctuation and stuff like paragraphs with not so many abbreviations.
Some of us don't get it.
Cross eyed mary
Cranky when she's tired
Please where is the actual 12/1 gas light thing done and rated?

Or am I being gaslighted here as well?
Thank you Lou Weed

Didn't know that even the lighting can cause a plant to go herm.

Ok guys I know I'm digging up an old thread here, but its a great thread! and light at the wrong time will cause your plants to go herm, if your in flowering phase and light gets in during dark time it can cause this, a friend of mine who doesn't like doing research found this out the hard way with some #1 Sunk high dollar seeds to waste! he turned the lights on 24/0 thinking it would make the thing flower faster...WRONG.....another reason why we need to remain open to learning

I have read enough that I'm going to try this, why not, I'm thinking curtain strains may do better or worse, think I'll try it will some bag seeds

Just to explain my deletions above, I really care about my relationships here in this community, so I decided to silence myself. I'm not here to have angry debates, and I'd rather leave you to your own decisions than start a fight. I hope you all find the answers that you're looking for!

I was just giving you a hard time, please don't take it personal. This is a peaceful community, and always will be.

Feel free to express yourself in any way you want (within the guidelines). There will be times when nobody responds to posts, it's all good though, it doesn't mean that no one learned from that post.

:peace:

I just wanted everyone in the community to know that this hater has been converted.....

I have now seen a plant that was fully matured, bonsai'ed after harvest, and then re-vegged completely from the harvest chop by the GLR. It works, saves money, and allows for the plants to stretch nodes better than 24/0 tight packed nodes.

It's not common for this old codger to let anyone know he was biased, wrong, and in need of forgiveness for my initial refusal of change.

It was Mr. Krip that finally got me seeing the light...

This is a great thread, I too am using the GLR and currently week 4 of veg.... Explosive growth, very healthy and happy looking plants with no signs of stress :) I can't believe so many have never tried or used this method, it works perfectly, plus saving $$$ is always a great thing :)

For those that have flowered, I read 10-14 is the best to start at, and then every few weeks ramping down the daylight hours by 1/2 hour...... what has worked with you guys for flowering with GLR?

GLR is not for Flower. It is strictly a veg cycle and yes it does work. My last grow was under GLR and it went smoothly . I'm not sure if you guys have ever checked any thread by Twelve12 but he was the one that got the topic of GLR going here on :420:. Anyways, I wouldn't use GLR if your plants are in flower. it is unnecessary to have that hour of light in between dark periods.

Back
Top Bottom