Thanks Azi. If you zoom in on the big leaf in the front you can see a bit of mottling.

It isn't bad. It actually looks like the plant is cold. I will let it dry out a bit.

Otherwise all are growing really well.

I topped the biggest to 4 tops today, and I topped 3 of the 8 clone branches to grow some more double-headed clones. Maybe oven a quad.

I want to try your perlite cloning technique on a double header.

20230901_143623.jpg

20230901_143616.jpg

20230901_143606.jpg

20230901_143558.jpg

Here are the 4 Purple Kush. The last one has given me a bit of grief since day 1. It's a leaner so I have had to keep it staked, and now it looks a bit hungry too.

All I have done is water and 1 or 2 shots of fish ferts so far, so today I watered with fish again, started a tea, topdressed each pot with a mineral topdressing, and laid a layer of ewc on top. Then watered it in a bit. It's going to have to be a regular occurance now, veg is over.

I need to add more mulch too but I can do it when they get the tea.

Tea will be served in 48 hours. 24 to brew the ingredients and 24 more with some fresh ewc in it.
20230901_143549.jpg

They get the room with the view.

If you zoom in on the far right side over the roof tops you can see all the forest fire smoke sitting in the valley.

Stunning view Gee. Sorry about the fires and smoke. The plants look happy! I wonder how the smoke affects them.
I'm not sure how it will affect them. A couple years ago we had a similarly smokey summer.

I didn't have any outdoor weed going but I did have a lot of superhot peppers.

The peppers appeared to grow just fine, however not one single pepper pod had seeds in it, so it does affect plants.

Day 23

20230905_195341.jpg

So far the extra calcium hasn't caused any issues. The funky mottling that resembled a cold plant (it wasn't cold, the tent was over 80 degrees) has completely disappeared. Childhood acne🤣

All 4 have been topped twice to 4 mains and in the next few days they will be manifolded to 8 and the training will begin.

They are quite big. They love sprouting in 10 gallon pots. The clone branches are growing nicely.

Its still 18 more days until the Swicky Uglies are finished flowering and these can go under the big light. That will give them 15 days to adjust before flip.

Hopefully I can get a decent finish under the new light without frying them.

I can't wait to disect the rootballs of the 2 Uglies. I really want to see if shaving the one caused a difference inside the pot.

Day 23

20230905_195341.jpg

So far the extra calcium hasn't caused any issues. The funky mottling that resembled a cold plant (it wasn't cold, the tent was over 80 degrees) has completely disappeared. Childhood acne🤣

All 4 have been topped twice to 4 mains and in the next few days they will be manifolded to 8 and the training will begin.

They are quite big. They love sprouting in 10 gallon pots. The clone branches are growing nicely.

Its still 18 more days until the Swicky Uglies are finished flowering and these can go under the big light. That will give them 15 days to adjust before flip.

Hopefully I can get a decent finish under the new light without frying them.

I can't wait to disect the rootballs of the 2 Uglies. I really want to see if shaving the one caused a difference inside the pot.
Hi Gee,
I did my rootopsy from my Gelato 1 plant. It came out way different to what I had expected. I posted the results in my thread and the swick thread. Come and have a look :)

20230906_062058.jpg

I had to pluck the 1st 2 sets of leaves. The single blades went to the worms and the 1st set of 3 bladers got brix tested to see how the extra calcium was working out. They were both hanging into the soil.

Because they were her 1st leaves I didn't expect much for sugar but they tested just above 7, which is great for 23 days old, and the calcium line was perfectly fuzzy.

I'm not saying anyone should dump extra calcium into their mix right at planting time, as it's better cooked in, but I did and it worked really well. So far I haven't had any crusting on the surface at all, the soil feels brand new, so there is hope.

Magnesium hasn't started to bully things yet.

I just topped a clone branch on a DP to set it up for a 2 headed clone and figured I would brix it. It was 2 nodes and a top that I pinched off. It brixed at 12. The extra calcium is working. Thats my best reading for a plant that young.

20230906_090557.jpg

Here is the other clone branch that I didn't pinch. At 23 days from seed the nodes are already staggered. I hope I can get another topping in to maniflod it to 8.

4 tops is good too but I like 8.

I just topped a clone branch on a DP to set it up for a 2 headed clone and figured I would brix it. It was 2 nodes and a top that I pinched off. It brixed at 12. The extra calcium is working. Thats my best reading for a plant that young.

20230906_090557.jpg

Here is the other clone branch that I didn't pinch. At 23 days from seed the nodes are already staggered. I hope I can get another topping in to maniflod it to 8.

4 tops is good too but I like 8.

How are your brix ratings outdoors? Do you think the new LED is helping drive higher readings?

How are your brix ratings outdoors? Do you think the new LED is helping drive higher readings?
Outdoors I got to 25 on 1 plant and averaged just above 23 on a 4 leaf squeeze, 1 leaf from mid level on each. Only the 2 Uglies have gone under the new light. The readings of 7 and 12 were under 100 watts of full spectrum led strips.

Hey Gee,

Have you ever used chicken poo in your explorations? I seem to remember that it was deemed relative safe for high brix, don't know why.

Hey Gee,

Have you ever used chicken poo in your explorations? I seem to remember that it was deemed relative safe for high brix, don't know why.
I haven't. I use a lot of meals. Kelp, alfalfa, blood, and cannabis mostly. It seems fairly popular though so it must work.

I actually just snipped off the lower 50-60% of the branches from my Purple Kush plants that were getting the high readings.

It was too much to support in a 10gal pot so I turned it into worm food while the brix was still high. I freeze it and then crush it into meal and add it into each tray as it goes into the worm farm.

All chopped up it filled a 5gal bucket so I'm good on weed meal for awhile. Its a great way to cycle nutrients that eventually make their way into my indoor grow through the worm farm.

I think using weed compost helps my brix readings.

They were covered in small buds so it should contain a fair bit of phosphorus too.

I don't know if it's as complete as chicken manure but the worms love it.

Day 58 of 70 for the uglies.
20230907_130626.jpg
20230907_130631.jpg
20230907_130600.jpg

20230907_130552.jpg

This is whats left of Ugly Betty #1, the 2 headed shaved bottom girl. She actually produced a bit of a crop but look at the damage.

I never tried a full rescue, I just shaved her and gave her some fish ferts and EWC. She was only top watered since being shaved.

The reason for not performing a full rescue is that I wanted a pure comparison to this....

20230907_130639.jpg
20230907_130617.jpg
20230907_130603.jpg
20230907_130547.jpg

Ugly Betty #2.

She is a sister clone from the same plant but cut conventionally.

She was pulled from the 20 litres of perlite swick and placed in a much smaller container to continue swicking but with only 3 litres of perlite,give or take. Roughly the same amount as in the pot.

Probably slightly more in the swick as there is in the pot, but I tried to make it as even as possible without picking stuck perlite from the roots.

My figuring was if you used the swick as a battery for water instead of a supply, and recharged the perlite battery by top watering to runoff and letting the swick catch runoff nutes, the hyro/water roots in theory should feed the plant hydroponically.

It was only given exact amounts of water, ewc, and fish ferts as Ugly Betty #1.

You can see that the stress and damage done from over-swicking hasn't been fixed but by setting the size of the battery to match the pot and circulating nutes thru the battery via top watering, the equal sized battery naturally dried down to the pots moisture level, not saturating the pot to the 20 litre swicks level of over wetness.

It seems to have made a huge difference, although she is still not anywhere near acceptable, at least the buds are semi-respectable.

I think if I had of started in a 3 litre swick and only top watered it, it would have worked out. I probably could have fixed them both a lot better but I wanted a true comparison and I want to see the rootballs.

Hopefully this can be a starting point for someone to try from.

Isn't that shade of maroon on the stalks lovely! I bet you guy can't make stalks that purple🤣🤣🤣

Day 31
20230913_145304.jpg

The 4 Durban Poisons in their 10gal homes. All manifolded to 8 tops and soon training will start. The clone branches need a couple more days to get a bit bigger.
20230913_144721.jpg

I topped a bottom branch from the 1st node level. They will get pruned off when training starts, I'm just growing them bigger for more worm food. They are completely in the shade and brix'd at 11 on the 2 plants I tested. Pretty good for only 31 days and down in the shade.

Calcium isn't crisp, which is good, but it could be a bit fuzzier too. All in all they are coming nicely for only 100 watts in a 3 x 4 tent. The extra calcium added at uppotting never seemed to cause any problems at all. The soil hasn't started to tighten at all yet.

Day 9 of 10 on the 12/12 sexing.
20230913_061557.jpg

I planted 4 of each strain but only 7 of 8 popped and then the runt died overnight, leaving 3 Malawi Bhai Bhai's and 3 Congo Bhai Bhai's.

Its the 1st time in 2 years I popped seeds without using spagnum blobs. Normally I get about 95% germination and never a death, but it could be just a coincidence too. Tomorrow they will get fish ferts, then over to the Veg tent. I have never grown either strain so it should be fun.

Back
Top Bottom