The Mega Crop Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jack420 :cool:you have a beautiful crop, I enjoy your photo's.
Thanks brother really take time evreyday to show y’all what I got goin on but I want to show y’all second run n not a glitch on my end n I’m using city water

Just so i'm clear, I suggested it looked like a pH issue. Not once have I stated IT IS a pH issue. My very first post stated to do a slurry test so that could be proved true or false and as far as I know the OP has not done that.

This FFOF and Detroit Soil Co mix raises flags for me right away! He's using a LOS and mixed it with FFOF. I'm guessing he's got quite an interesting mix of stuff going on in there. I could be wrong and I have no problem with that but unless he does a test on the soil we'll never know. Maybe he's got an excess amount of Ca in the soil and that's what you are seeing.

What I did say is that you were incorrect in your Ca diagnosis from too much MC. I never stated not to flush the plant, I stated the advice to flush and come back with weaker nutes was also incorrect.
Maybe it is just that I have a larger dataset to draw from than you do. For instance, I know for a fact it is not his soil causing the problem... for two reasons. 1. Everything was fine until he went up to 6g. 2. I also run a very strong, recently amended super soil and made no changes to it at all to do this run with MC.
Next, you still have not convinced me that if you go over the needed amount of MC by lets say 20%, so also you are going 20% over with the Calcium at that point, that it doesnt build up, and it is loaded into this stuff at 7% of its total volume. That is one heck of a lot of extra (presumably unneeded and unable to be used) calcium. If it isnt used by the plant, it is sitting in the soil. Please, and not trying to be a jerk, but explain to me why you are so absolutely sure that there is not a buildup of calcium if you use too much MC, since we all know that GLN told us not to use calmag unless we really needed it, knowing how much they loaded into the mix.
And then, if you (many are now because of my arguments) accept the premise that it is possible to give too much MC, doing a flush and then coming back in immediately with that adjusted lesser amount (the correct amount) of MC after a flush can not be incorrect... it would be exactly the right thing to do.

But I I’m at 6 g but then again I’m in hydro soil is a freak of nature is y I don’t do it but props for all y’all who master it

Man love this thred one thing I will say n I’m out!!!! Lol many great minds will clash at times

Every grower develops their own style. It's what they have proven works for them. We have two people that have suggested solutions which work for them to the OP. Now they are debating, sometime heatedly their suggestions.

It's up to the one who asks to determine which road they'll take. Hopefully they'd report back which road they took, and whether it solved to problem.

There are two things to keep in mind:
The proposed solutions worked for those proposing them, and
Mega Crop is a relative newcomer, still under development. What works for other nutrient lines may not work with Mega Crop.

Agree with u salt i remember wen I was having problems came here got a few tips n bam now no issues just keep it simple n it will do just fine

since we all know that GLN told us not to use calmag unless we really needed it
Again, I'm not sure where you get your info from but it's misleading to other growers.
1580770069768.png

And then, if you (many are now because of my arguments) accept the premise that it is possible to give too much MC, doing a flush and then coming back in immediately with that adjusted lesser amount (the correct amount) of MC after a flush can not be incorrect... it would be exactly the right thing to do.
Absolutely you can overfeed with MC and doing a reset or flush would be ideal coming back at recommended dose nutes. In this case however his plant was never overfed. I have not seen any signs saying it was.

But I I’m at 6 g but then again I’m in hydro soil is a freak of nature is y I don’t do it but props for all y’all who master it
Soil sucks. It belongs outside. I am in soil prison till June then I will happily let others have it.

Soil sucks. It belongs outside. I am in soil prison till June then I will happily let others have it.

I think I stumbled into one of the best substrates and grow methods, at least for my needs. Coco/perlite with drain-to-waste does it. I can understand others wanting to use different methods, for example LOS to get a better smoking product. As I just load it into capsules, there's no smell or taste. The extra time and effort needed for most other methods to get the better taste would be wasted on me.

Just throwing it out there as a relative newbie -this thread would be totally overwhelming if looking for advice. At some point lately it seemed to have devolved into a constant pissing match.

My suggestion is if you really want to help someone asking for advice give your advice and back it up, then argue over who knows how to use Megacrop the best separately or elsewhere? I don't mind constructive heated discussions as much as the next guy but if every other page turns into 6 pages of arguing over the same thing your just going to scare people out of here that need help.

Then again this didn't seem to start out as a ask for MC help thread...maybe it is to determine the Megacrop Master in which case you guys are nailing it lol

the thread was started so i could gather info on the experiences of those using MC.
there were a number of people using it in different media, and i thought it would be a good idea to have that resource in one spot. i was frustrated trying to track the info down, so started the thread.

Maybe it is just that I have a larger dataset to draw from than you do. For instance, I know for a fact it is not his soil causing the problem... for two reasons. 1. Everything was fine until he went up to 6g. 2. I also run a very strong, recently amended super soil and made no changes to it at all to do this run with MC.
Next, you still have not convinced me that if you go over the needed amount of MC by lets say 20%, so also you are going 20% over with the Calcium at that point, that it doesnt build up, and it is loaded into this stuff at 7% of its total volume. That is one heck of a lot of extra (presumably unneeded and unable to be used) calcium. If it isnt used by the plant, it is sitting in the soil. Please, and not trying to be a jerk, but explain to me why you are so absolutely sure that there is not a buildup of calcium if you use too much MC, since we all know that GLN told us not to use calmag unless we really needed it, knowing how much they loaded into the mix.
I'm curious where you are getting that 7% calcium is "one heck of a lot of extra (presumably unneeded and unable to be used) calcium" too much? Or where did you get any of your Ca info? There's a lot of different types of Ca, some plant useable, some not. I am a big fan of gypsum, soluble, doesn't raise pH, and pushes off mag which can make substrate compact. I can't say for sure, but from my experience I think that's what's in the MC balls.

Gypsum is soluble, and doesn't build up... just my thoughts, but I think you are way off base on this.

I also don't think you understand just how important Ca is to plants, it's a lot more than a pretty face.

You keep mentioning how you are giving us scientific somethings, but scientific method does not stop at your observations, no matter how keen, or even you hypothesis. Proof.

I just think if you understood more about the Ca relationship to the plants, and other minerals you may not take such a hard line.

And, just because pH doesn't interest you, doesn't mean it's not important.

I'm curious where you are getting that 7% calcium is "one heck of a lot of extra (presumably unneeded and unable to be used) calcium" too much? Or where did you get any of your Ca info? There's a lot of different types of Ca, some plant useable, some not. I am a big fan of gypsum, soluble, doesn't raise pH, and pushes off mag which can make substrate compact. I can't say for sure, but from my experience I think that's what's in the MC balls.

Gypsum is soluble, and doesn't build up... just my thoughts, but I think you are way off base on this.

I also don't think you understand just how important Ca is to plants, it's a lot more than a pretty face.

You keep mentioning how you are giving us scientific somethings, but scientific method does not stop at your observations, no matter how keen, or even you hypothesis. Proof.

I just think if you understood more about the Ca relationship to the plants, and other minerals you may not take such a hard line.

And, just because pH doesn't interest you, doesn't mean it's not important.
wow... what a tough room!
Science! You must show me proof! I will not believe your lies... if what you say is true, it must be written, there must be youtubes... yada yada yada....
We are forging new ground here my friend... your same indignant cry was heard when forward thinkers first proposed that the world was not flat.
My proof is my grow journal. That is all the proof I can offer. The science comes from GLN and my own scientific method. I claim no more validity than that.
You ask where I get my info and accuse me of making it up. Here, directly from the GLN website in pretty graphics I get the following numbers describing what is in MegaCrop:
7.1 % Total Calcium (Ca)
Contains 4 separate sources of soluble Calcium including Calcium Amino Acid Chelate, ensuring maximum absorption in any condition. This, combined with a whopping 6.5% total content ensures there will be continuous adequate content for the entire life of the plant, even in heavy demanding stages. Calcium content is enough to meet even the most difficult growing mediums such as Coco Coir, which is typically known to leech Calcium from solutions due to the non-existent cation exchange capacity (CEC).Calcium is a secondary nutrient that is critical to crop development.
It is needed in large amounts by all plants for the formation of cell walls and cell membranes, and it plays a vital role in soil structure. When calcium is deficient, new tissue such as root tips, young leaves, and shoot tips often exhibit distorted growth from improper cell wall formation. Due to the immobility of calcium in the soil and plant tissues, a continuous supply must be present for plants to access. Calcium is only xylem mobile, meaning it can only move up the plant, and once in place, it cannot be remobilized and moved to new developing tissues. Calcium, along with magnesium and potassium, helps to neutralize organic acids, which form during cell metabolism in plants. It can be found in roots, cell membranes and through the whole plant and it also plays a role in other key plant functions:

Improves the absorption of other nutrients by roots and their translocation within the plant
Activates a number of plant growth-regulating enzyme systems
Helps convert nitrate-nitrogen into forms needed for protein formation
Is needed for cell wall formation and normal cell division
Improves disease resistance.
Helps plants combat heat stress by increasing respiration
Combat pests and illnesses
I have done quite a bit of experimenting with calcium in my soils, trying to preload the soil with all that is needed through the grow, without locking out other important elements. It is a delicate balance. I know what calcium overload looks like and the various and very curious side effects that can result from it. I know full well how important calcium is in our grows, and that it is one of the most needed elements and I am aware of how many different types of calcium are supplied in the white balls... now you too know that there are 4 types.
It doesn't take a lot of reading here to understand that the desire of GLN is to build up a little bit of this in the soil... but if you overload MC, you overload Calcium too... and the end result is not a good thing, macronutrients get locked out
Lastly, pH again. We adjust pH for our nutes. We all know that salt based nutes have specific ranges that we must adhere to. Amino chelates also have a pH range... well within the ranges that most of us would see without any adjustment. 8.0-5.0 is a pretty wide swath, and yeah... if you are outside of that you DO need to adjust, but then you cant drink that water either, and you know you have a problem. Most of us (in soil) don't have to worry about pH using Megacrop. Please note that I am not talking about the water based folks... anything I say is in regards to soil only because that is what I have the most experience in.

the thread was started so i could gather info on the experiences of those using MC.
there were a number of people using it in different media, and i thought it would be a good idea to have that resource in one spot. i was frustrated trying to track the info down, so started the thread.

It would be helpful for newer growers if you could have some guidelines for using MC In your opening post.
A FAQ or something like that. All the bickering over the details sends the wrong message.

As a new gardener I was drawn to MC for cost and simplicity. It has met those expectations.
I'm only four weeks in, but good so far with promix, one gallon milk jug and a tsp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom