Also might explain why it may be hard to see the benefits of diatomaceous earth, beyond the mechanical ones.
Thanks Sye. DE came up in a few articles but not one particular study concentrated on that. However there are studies such as one in India that did end up mentioning this:
A few studies have shown that application of DE can be beneficial for plants as a source of Si. Diatomaceous earth is formed by diatom frustules composed of amorphous Si (BSi) that is easily soluble compared to the other silicates common in soils (Fraysse et al., 2009). Rizwan et al. (2012) showed that DE application might reduce the toxicity of Cd in wheat and attributed this effect to Si, which induced a decrease in available Cd in the soil.

I'm sure there may be a way to apply it but it didn't say in that article. The chart below shows the composition of diatomaceous earth.
1602723316519.png

You can see over half of it contains silicon dioxide. It still needs to be broken down into MSA which is most likely why you wouldn't notice results with short term use. The amount of silicon dioxide in the soil influences the concentration of the MSA. The study above says DE is easily soluble compared to the other silicates, which could be potassium silicate which is not that soluble.

That study keeps coming up when searching DE and silica, but they used a very specific brand of DE that might be very different from the stuff we buy. Milled to much finer size maybe?
That's quite possible, but from a micro-organisms perspective they are just eating away and processing the SiO2 down to MSA. I would think big or small pieces wouldn't matter.

Oh true. I was thinking more in terms of immediate availability, or availability in low microbe environments like ProMix HP, or hydro.
I agree, which is why I pointed this out at the end. They never specified what silicates it was tested against.
The study above says DE is easily soluble compared to the other silicates, which could be potassium silicate which is not that soluble.

Hiya MrS ! Bummer about the wet weather. How are things in the garden of Sauga? :cheesygrinsmiley:

Edit: Congrats on the nomination MrS!:headbanger:
All good brother, and thanks. I can't stop laughing at Sye's post.
Oh great so I get to be in a contest with 4-time heavyweight gold world chess street-artist figure-skating tennis champion Mr Sauger???
I was good at figure-skating, the rest not so much. Thanks for the laugh!!

Hey everybody!

So this will be my final journal here at 420 magazine. I joined back in 2018 and realized the only way to become a better grower was to learn from the pros and that meant starting a journal so others could provide help and support. I know a lot of you will find this as a surprise considering the number of journals I have done but it's time to go perpetual. Ha!

So here we go...
I spent the day getting the soil ready which is FFOF cut with 25% perlite. I'll be running all autos to begin with and that was not as easy as it sounds.
I started off by dropping a Lemon AK and a Girl Scout Cookie from Fastbuds. I'm trying to use those peat pucks that seem to kill my seeds every time since I either overwater them(pre-soaked) or I underwater them.
So, that didn't go well and again I seemed to have overwatered the puck and drowned the GSC. The LAK did pop but was not looking good. Probably overwatered in the seed killer puck but it was still alive! I decided to drop two more GSC's and a Zkittlez.

I tried the killer pucks again with less water this time. The one died because it dried out. The other one popped and was doing OK until I killed it. It had something to do with the humidifier misting on it. Looked like a limp Oscar Mayer. :rip: The Zkittlez didn't seem bothered by the humidity and is also alive. So I have a slow growing Lemon AK and a Zkittlez which is doing good.
I dropped my last two GSC's in some water and had a small tap on both. Placed them both in the paper towel and baggie and over the covered heat mat, which is also new to me btw. The probe fell off the mat and apparently the beans were cooked to a medium rare before I noticed.
I dropped another two beans, a DDA from Sweet Seeds and a Gorilla Glue from Auto Seeds.

Back to basics and what always worked for me in the past. Once in the paper towel and baggie it goes in my room on a plate covered with a towel. Once the tap is long enough it goes stright into a solo cup. I use those pipettes(2mL) for watering the area where the seed goes so it never gets overwatered. I should have done that from the beginning as both are now above the surface today in the solos.

So the LAK may be nothing but the Zkittlez, GG and the DDA should be fine. Here's some pics of the day.

:Rasta:
Yep,I hear ya..those peat pucks & tapered root sponges are a delicate balance that went sad for me too,so so sofar I haven't gone down that road again in my 5 month grow experiences.
Always had a good outdoor garden but had handfuls of seeds. That reminds me if I do regulars,wont be this year with only one tent. Two Acids on the go,ones 12 weeks,a short strain in LST , topped ,but probably fim'ed from what i red tuday.BTW i write this way on occasion from bordom of the English lingo which a weird grouping of odd symbols not much better than what the Greeks scratched on cave walls.
If I had a link to my journal which i do not I'd slip it in but nothing is ez.
Check my sig for it there.
I'm scratching my bald head,well there is still summon the sydes. :thumb:
The second germinated recently 5 weeks,and they date these fems 65 days flower on the chart.Weird how tyme flies in my tent.It stinks so bad in there,i wanna move a bunk in just for the odoor. So if I flip her in the next few weeks..lool she should take off.
In soil mix with per & real compo,not that shit you buy in the stores in the U.S.
Get shit from the farmers .Live soil has organism that beat shit out of soil. :lot-o-toke:
Dont move your cursor,its a bugger to find again.
Why do people use those clip on fans that fall on your head ?
My preference is a window fan ,they are about 20"x20" square and cost about $20. have 3 speeds and a huge blade to circair cheap,just setit on the floor.

My trellis net reqs upgrading but they are like gold in Ontario.Might have to build 1.
Currently clipped 3 small 3" lower stems for clones,small but just trim.Kindof a test before taking a 6" up a a node to see how healthy she is.
Canna.jpg
FINAL JOURNAL..LOOL
20201012_184124.jpg

Yep,I hear ya..those peat pucks & tapered root sponges are a delicate balance that went sad for me too,so so sofar I haven't gone down that road again in my 5 month grow experiences.
lol, hiya Herby, and welcome! A lot going on in that post, and your plant looks great. I'll swing by your journal and get caught up.

Back
Top Bottom