Thrip and Hermie cleanup for new grow - I have some questions

capcapcaptain

My first grow(indoor) yielded a plethora of problems and learning experiences. I had a thrip problem which was handled within a week of finding them, and have not seen any since. I also had a problem with light penetration that I didn't notice until it was a couple weeks before harvest. I grew the plant to completion because there was still a lot of decent buds on it. Harvest is over, the room has been tidied and all my girls chopped off limbs are hanging up to dry.

My question is, what can I do to ensure the thrips and pollen will not mess with my new crop? I'm not too worried about the thrips because I haven't seen them in months, and I'm using new dirt with a bit of neem oil in the nutrients. I'm just really worried about any residual pollen that could be floating around in the room that might ruin my new crops. Is my worry warranted, or should I not worry about it.

Thanks in advance,
Cap

Wipe the grow area down with a disinfectant & all equipment with a diluted solution of bleach will do the job, clean the pre filter of carbon filter that is the white foam like material around the filter collects a lot of dust... clean inside of the reflector to keep it 100% optimal as dirty reflectors reduce light quality.

I've heard of people using sand a 1/2 to 1/4 inch layer on the surface soil of their pots... it would appear the thrips/fungus gnats can not get through it :thumb:

Thanks a lot Fuzzy, I appreciate it. Should I toss the soil and put in some new stuff, or is it ok to reuse?

I would imagine its ok to reuse the soil as if any pollen got stuck onto it, it will be all mixed up in the soil by the time you reuse it again...

If ya 100% sure of hermie pollen sack burst & totally worried, start fresh with new soil to help ease the mind.

:peace:

P.s - what ol cannafan said about Diatomaceous Earth, ye that stuff works pretty darn well 'n' all.

I've got a 20kg bag of DE left over from a pest problem years ago so I should be all set. Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Cheers

I would recommend wiping all your walls, floor, lights, fans and equipment down with a bleach water solution. I found that if you want to make sure you have no thrips left you can do this.... If you have a UV party bulb (the florecent tube kind) get a clear plastic container like a food dish, fill it with water, add 2 drops of liquid dish soap, and get a yellow florecent marker and dunk it into the water in the dish. This should leave the yellow dye in the water. put the blacklight on, put the glowing water dish next to it and close up your grow area. The thrips will be attracted to the blacklight and the yellow die...half will roast themselves on the UV bulb itself, and the other half will crawl into the dish with the glowing water and die... I found this method very effective in making sure all of the thrips were out of my growing area and it worked like a charm.

3rd.. I would get a product called Spinosad, it is organic and does an excellent job killing and preventing thrips and other pests. This product works very well! I would spray your plants about every 2-3 weeks with spinosad until you get to about week 2 of flowering. Spinosad is supposed to last for 3 weeks and kills the thrips on contact.

- I wiped all the walls down with hot water & bleach.
- I sprayed everything that was difficult to scrub with a water/bleach mixture from a spray bottle.
- I mopped the floor with water/bleach.
- I washed the pre filter cloth in my washing machine.
- I wiped down/sprayed every tool and all the shelving with bleach/water. Everything in the room has been removed, cleaned and put back.

I'm not too worried about the thrips, I just need to make sure there's no pollen left in the area. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks again for all your help.

That is some pretty impressive cleaning...

I could do with a maid, ya got something frilly to wear, I could do with the house being cleaned once a week :goodjob:

Only teasing :love:

I think the pre filter should be cleaned after every grow to be honest & more likely improve life span of the carbon filter, well done on such a good clean up :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom