TommyGunnz Tries Green Crack & Pineapple Express

Just a little bit I was reading online, here are some benefits of coco coir that might give you a better understanding of it as well.

• High water holding capacity
  • Acceptable pH & EC
  • Excellent wettability, superior to peat
  • Ability to retain nutrients against leaching and to buffer supply
  • Unique water holding capacity
  • Good drainage / aeration
  • Less shrinkage
  • Retains physical properties longer
  • Light weight
  • No pests, weeds, or diseases
  • Odorless and pleasant to handle
  • Natural and renewable resource
  • Uniform in composition
  • 100% Organic
  • Promotes strong root growth and plant vigor.
  • Absorbs water readily and re-wets easily, thus reducing the need for wetting agents.
  • Reduces watering frequency without plant stress, thereby reducing labor costs and minimizing plant loss
  • Increases shelf life of plants
  • Slow breakdown of material means product will not shrink during your growing cycle
  • High water holding capacity while still maintaining excellent drainage and aeration

Here's a link to the website I was reading from if you want to head over and have a look around yourself!
Benefits Of Coco Coir

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Never thought about it like that. I must look into it. Can it be r.....wow. That last post that just went up answers everything. Excellent. Cheers boss.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Never thought about it like that. I must look into it. Can it be r.....wow. That last post that just went up answers everything. Excellent. Cheers boss.
No problem, I like to pass down any knowledge I have to folks on here, its this very site that I've learned so much from because of all of you so I think it's only fare to return the favor.
It's definitely worth looking into, I can promise once you go the coco route it's all you will ever use again.
One thing I would say is to still keep an eye out for pests even though it says one of the benefits is no pests because on 2 of my grows with coco I got infestations. First was fungus gnats and second time I got root aphids.

I think I have fungus knats now but I'm not that worried tbh. Can't do that much harm can they? Mine are around a while but between a carnivorous plant and repoting they seem to be under control. Can they ruin a grow? Had them on chives and they just died out.

Defo gonna look into Coco for the next grow.

Thanks for sharing btw. I'm in the same boat. Learned it all here.
Go team!!:cheer:

I think I have fungus knats now but I'm not that worried tbh. Can't do that much harm can they? Mine are around a while but between a carnivorous plant and repoting they seem to be under control. Can they ruin a grow? Had them on chives and they just died out.

Defo gonna look into Coco for the next grow.

Thanks for sharing btw. I'm in the same boat. Learned it all here.
Go team!!:cheer:
The fungus gnats themselves aren't harmful to plants but its their larvae that lurks under the earth that are harmful, they most certainly can destroy a grow. The larvae feed on plant roots which can cause the plant to stunt, maybe stop growing altogether and just die, or, if you get lucky you will finish your grow but with probably 1/10 of what you could have got without the gnat problem. (Without your root system the plant can't take up water and nutrients.)

I personally don't like to have any bugs near the plant whether their good or bad, i'm always on the look out for pests because they stopped me from getting any harvest at all on 2 of my grows :(

I think I'm gonna plan a get-together for all of us here at 420 so we can all smoke together and thank each other for all of our help :laugh:
It would be great to smoke with you guys :yahoo:

They could probably handle them alright. A 'branch' broke off not long after I got it so I cut it open. Down at the base there was the pincers of an earwig. Hardcore!!

You ever find bees in them? This is the only thing that would give me pause. I love my bees.

Sorry for hijacking. Some people care, some don't. I don't mind it.:)

Only have the Sarracenia a few weeks and the only way to check what's going in is to break off a branch or fond or whatever they are called. I would say it would depend on how big they get. That one above is small and wouldn't fit a bee. It's kept indoors as well so there's less chance of encountering one. We definitely need to do more for bees globally.

Day 13.
Temp: 22°C
RH: 57%

Watered without feed today, I'm going to give plain water every 3rd watering to prevent any salt build up.
250ml (pH 5.7)

And got a pic in natural light today because I forgot to do it yesterday, she's definitely looking a lot darker in colour.. that's what I like to see, so far so good! :cool:

afternoon mr.T, been a long but beneficial day, went and bought meds....:high-five:
regarding coco and being 13 days old today and feeding bio grow in coco I would of thought a bit more growth would of been evident but then I have no leg to stand cause I'm in normal soil at 37 days with bio grow and compared to coco and soil I've seen I've it's def about medium in my case cause the nutrients are working, I've seen in 1st official watering with bio grow, tomorrow is 2nd so I'm running at 100ml mix next food and spray rest of week...

evening guys, so if you guys are open to some interesting discussion cause this coco vs peat interests me cause here in South Africa a majority of the LOS growers have 1/3 coco 1/3 aeration 1/3 compost/ewc where a lot of LOS growers in USA use peat moss in their soil mix..

I'm soon to be making a batch with peat moss as I almost went the coco route then at the last minute I found a supplier for peat moss.

Can someone explain what is meant by wettability....

Sure I'll take a stab. Wettability- How easily water or liquid adhears to solid objects ie I add small amounts of soap to insecticides to break the waters surface tension, this improves the wettability?;)

evening guys, so if you guys are open to some interesting discussion cause this coco vs peat interests me cause here in South Africa a majority of the LOS growers have 1/3 coco 1/3 aeration 1/3 compost/ewc where a lot of LOS growers in USA use peat moss in their soil mix..

I'm soon to be making a batch with peat moss as I almost went the coco route then at the last minute I found a supplier for peat moss.

Can someone explain what is meant by wettability....
Easiest way I can think of explaining it in my opinion is like this,
just pretend you have 2 10litre pots coco in one and soil in the other. It takes 2 litres of water to soak the soil and takes 1 litre of water to soak the coco... that would mean the coco has better wettability because it takes less to wet it.

A piece of paper would have high wettability because if you put a drop of water on it you can see it start to spread out along the page. That's how I would think of it but I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom