Tony Sussan's Sealed Sea Of Green!

Tony Sussan said:
Yep you pretty much hit the nail on the head there mate! But its not really as simple as that either. In my opinion, and i am sure that Jon705 will back me here, LED's perform at there best in a sealed room type situation. This in itself presents a whole new set of issues to look at. Dehumidifier, CO2 injection, aircon/minisplit which are all really needed to grow in a sealed environment. But once its dialled in BOY oh BOY does it work well. When i say HID is more forgiving is that because the lamps produce heat you need to vent your space which basically takes care of your temps, humidity and your co2 issue all in one hit. The thing about using less nutes does not really hold true in my experience. My plants need watering every second day without fail! This means they are drawing water and due to co2 and good environment are also growing rapidly and using the food provided. Without this setup you may only water every 3 or 4 days due to lower transpiration which means you are also providing less food and by default less growth.

I think that makes sense!
And dont forget this is simply my experience/opinion!
If anyone has anything to add please do. When i first started to grow using sealed rooms there was very little info available so i am really happy for you guys to shoot questions away or use this journal as a place to discuss this furthur!

Jon705 said:
yep I agree with you 100% Tony,I have 10 plants in my system and they use 5 gallons a day right now.A sealed room is definetly the way to go imo,yes it cost more money to set up as you mentioned, but once it is you have complete control of your enviroment and can set and maintain a constant temp/rh....well its a beautiful thingUsing led's in a sealed room makes it that much easier and cheaper to keep everthing where it needs to be.they let off alot less heat and room temps should be around 85 degrees so you dont need anywhere near as much a/c. I find that my co2 lasts alot longer as well and im using exactly half the nutes I did with hps. just off the top of my head I would say im saving per round,$200 on nutes, $810 on hydro from the lights, $200 in hydro from usingalot less a/c and around a $100 on co2.thats $1310 a round im saving! sure led's are big time expensive, sure they take some getting used to, but once you get it all dialed in the results speak for themselves. I cant thank you enough for turning me on to sealed rooms bro, now that ive had some time to dial everything in I can honestly say that I ll never go back to a vented room again

Great replies , thank you guys both of you !
I was thinking pretty much the same , since the first I day I decided to start , a sealed room with co2 supplement with LEDs to avoid heat problems , complicated and noisy vent systems!

I ll tell you what I'm thinking, in my case:
A SJ dr150 with 9 (flo n gro) pots, under 4x300w led panels, totally sealed !
Co2 injection and dehumidifier run from an environmental controller .
Now , after looking at your room, I'm thinking to just recirculate the air (via a scrubber) as you doing to your room ! I will either hook it to the controller and have it activated when temps go up-(main room will also run a 12.000btu a/c ), or I ll run it with a timer if I face any odour problems ....
I need to hard test on this .... lol

I don't see why It won't work though !

Thank you again guys , for the very helpful and informative replies !!!:thumb:

Great replies , thank you guys both of you !
I was thinking pretty much the same , since the first I day I decided to start , a sealed room with co2 supplement with LEDs to avoid heat problems , complicated and noisy vent systems!

I ll tell you what I'm thinking, in my case:
A SJ dr150 with 9 (flo n gro) pots, under 4x300w led panels, totally sealed !
Co2 injection and dehumidifier run from an environmental controller .
Now , after looking at your room, I'm thinking to just recirculate the air (via a scrubber) as you doing to your room ! I will either hook it to the controller and have it activated when temps go up-(main room will also run a 12.000btu a/c ), or I ll run it with a timer if I face any odour problems ....
I need to hard test on this .... lol

I don't see why It won't work though !

Thank you again guys , for the very helpful and informative replies !!!:thumb:

Glad we could help!
Couple of things to consider with your room design.
Personally I like to have my equipment operate independantly from each other. By that i mean i dont use one big controller to control everything. In my mind if that one item shits itself esentially your room is screwed until its fixed. If any of my equipment breaks down i can sub it out or replace fairly quickly and still keep my room running. Also i would have a scrubber running permanantly. It is there for more than just odor control. The air in your room can become stale and the filter helps keep it fresh. Also air circualtion is king keep it running and it will help to keep your temps even and circualte air so you dont end up with stale humid air.
Once again my opinion but it is based on experience. :thumb:

yep what Tony said, you will need lots of air circulation above and under the canopy to keep the co2 moving around and not sitting on the floor.and even with led's you can get hotspots if there isnt enough circulation.I have my 6 inch inline and carbon filter running 24/0 and same goes for the old 4 inch intake,its positioned right in front of the a/c to help move the cool air around the room.I have a 14 inch ocsillating fan on the floor pointing down to stir up the co2 and 3 18 inch fans moving everything around,this helps with moving the dry air from my 2 dehumidifiers around as well.you dont want the dry air blowing on the plants.they also help with stiffening up the branches to help with the weight of the nugs:)

yep what Tony said, you will need lots of air circulation above and under the canopy to keep the co2 moving around and not sitting on the floor.and even with led's you can get hotspots if there isnt enough circulation.I have my 6 inch inline and carbon filter running 24/0 and same goes for the old 4 inch intake,its positioned right in front of the a/c to help move the cool air around the room.I have a 14 inch ocsillating fan on the floor pointing down to stir up the co2 and 3 18 inch fans moving everything around,this helps with moving the dry air from my 2 dehumidifiers around as well.you dont want the dry air blowing on the plants.they also help with stiffening up the branches to help with the weight of the nugs:)

this is what i dont understand. if the room has an intake and u are exhausting the room then its not sealed. am i missing something mate?

Tony Sussan said:
Glad we could help!
Couple of things to consider with your room design.
Personally I like to have my equipment operate independantly from each other. By that i mean i dont use one big controller to control everything. In my mind if that one item shits itself esentially your room is screwed until its fixed. If any of my equipment breaks down i can sub it out or replace fairly quickly and still keep my room running. Also i would have a scrubber running permanantly. It is there for more than just odor control. The air in your room can become stale and the filter helps keep it fresh. Also air circualtion is king keep it running and it will help to keep your temps even and circualte air so you dont end up with stale humid air.
Once again my opinion but it is based on experience.-

Jon705 said:
yep what Tony said, you will need lots of air circulation above and under the canopy to keep the co2 moving around and not sitting on the floor.and even with led's you can get hotspots if there isnt enough circulation.I have my 6 inch inline and carbon filter running 24/0 and same goes for the old 4 inch intake,its positioned right in front of the a/c to help move the cool air around the room.I have a 14 inch ocsillating fan on the floor pointing down to stir up the co2 and 3 18 inch fans moving everything around,this helps with moving the dry air from my 2 dehumidifiers around as well.you dont want the dry air blowing on the plants.they also help with stiffening up the branches to help with the weight of the nugs

That was very clear !! My main concern is that I'm going to use a tent but as I'm thinking of it , it might be easier to follow this routine in it !-
I'm thinking something like the filter and the fan on the top , -ducted out of the tent and inside again from the bottom !
(the ducting goes out of the tent , if you can understand what I'm thinking ...lol)
.. And runs 24/7 , as you guys suggest.
I 'd love to hear your opinion on this guys or if you have something else to suggest , for a 5x5 tent.

The env. Controller will only take care of dehumidifier and -co2 .... I hope will not fail tony ! I wish to.... If it is, I ll break it down and eat it, I promise .... :)

And yes , I was also thinking a small fan on the floor, it definitely help the stems, to harden up...

Thank you (again) very much guys !!! It's the help I receive (like this), which makes me think seriously about making a journal !! I feel... I I owe too much to this great forum !!!

this is what i dont understand. if the room has an intake and u are exhausting the room then its not sealed. am i missing something mate?

Go back and reread Jon's journal. He started with a traditional intake/vented room and i talked him into sealing it up. Mine is completely sealed. Only way for fresh air to get in is when i open the door to come in or leave the room. By using dehumidifier to control humidity and aircon to control temps, co2 enrichment and scrubbing you dont need to have vents. For me way more stealthy but also gives amazing conditions for the plants to thrive! Which should hopefully turn into good yields! :peace:

That was very clear !! My main concern is that I'm going to use a tent but as I'm thinking of it , it might be easier to follow this routine in it !-
I'm thinking something like the filter and the fan on the top , -ducted out of the tent and inside again from the bottom !
(the ducting goes out of the tent , if you can understand what I'm thinking ...lol)
.. And runs 24/7 , as you guys suggest.
I 'd love to hear your opinion on this guys or if you have something else to suggest , for a 5x5 tent.

The env. Controller will only take care of dehumidifier and -co2 .... I hope will not fail tony ! I wish to.... If it is, I ll break it down and eat it, I promise .... :)

And yes , I was also thinking a small fan on the floor, it definitely help the stems, to harden up...

Thank you (again) very much guys !!! It's the help I receive (like this), which makes me think seriously about making a journal !! I feel... I I owe too much to this great forum !!!

Dont see why that should not work mate! I personally would keep the fan aswell especially if it osilates to stir your air up and mixed evenly. :peace:

my 6 inch fan is hooked up to the carbon filter and just scrubs the air and the 4 inch that used to be my intake is just moving the cool a/c air around.neither of them are hooked to any vents.the room is completely caulked and weather stripped bro and all the vent holes are plugged and will be removed and spray foamed shut next round:)

i dont want to make myself sound stupid but this is new territory for me. so the a/c brings air in room? there has to be a way for air to get in or everything would suffocate unless it had its own atmosphere but then thhat would be fucked wen u open door? :hmmmm:

with a sealed room we create the enviroment bro.im using a dual hose a/c unit.it draws air from outside the room to cool the compressor and then blows it back out of the room.it also draws air from the room cools it and then blows it back into the room.there is no air coming in anywhere from outside the room.if you suplement the air with co2 and scrub it clean with a scrubber and control the rh with dehumidifiers you dont need to vent at all bro.no exterior vents at all so alot safer imo.and if you seal it right no smell in the house either:)

Nope I use a mini split which does not exchange any air with the outside at all. No air gets in unless i enter or leave the room. Plants dont suffocate as we supply there CO2 to them and they produce o2 themselves at night. This is a pretty advanced grow room setup and there are some more educated people who can probably explain it better. Try google as i dont want to post links to other sites. Try "controlled environment agriculture" or "sealed grow rooms". Should give you some good reading :thumb:

And dont ever worry about sounding stupid! This was completely alien to me once upon a time!

yeah i'll look into it. i mean to be fair i dont need to run this type of set up and would be ball ache cos i only ever do 2 grows max in same location but i still want to learn this stuff. once u know it its at ur disposal for life....... i guess its cool if u are planning to live in outer space or underground after a nuclear holocaust! hahahaha

Back
Top Bottom