Totally New To This - First Grow - Soil - CFL - Indoor - Big Bud & Mystery Seeds

I HAVE BUGS :((( I HATE BUGS :(((

I was flushing and these things apparently float, because as I flooded the soil they came to the top and was crawling around and even jumping around. I've been trying to do some research and try to figure out what they are. From what I find, fungal gnat larvae seem common but I don't think that's what these are. Fungal Gnats seem more worm like, and have black heads whereas these are not as long, do not lave black heads, and have antennae.

This photo is some that came out in runoff when flushing. It is zoomed in as far as my camera goes, plus is through my 10x lope, so yea they're pretty small. Please, if anybody has any ideas on what they are let me know. I'm going to head to home depot in a few minutes and buy whatever they tell me for "houseplant" bug control :p
DSC001606.JPG

I think they are Springtails and springtail larve

You wouldn't usually consider them harmful.

But they are an indicator that you are watering too much and not letting the soil go dry enough between waterings.

Continuously wet soil will decompose very quickly, Springtails love this type of environment.

And yes they float ha ha :)

If you poke your entire finger into the soil and it feels any way wet, damp or moist ( Do Not Water Your Plants )

Let your plants dry out fully before you water them again.

And do not be so ready to find chemical solutions to your problems for bugs etc. there are plenty of cleaner and healthier methods.

Hope this helps :)

Peace

:peace:

I think they are Springtails and springtail larve

You wouldn't usually consider them harmful.

But they are an indicator that you are watering too much and not letting the soil go dry enough between waterings.

Continuously wet soil will decompose very quickly, Springtails love this type of environment.

Yes that certainly is what they look like, and it makes sense. I have only found them in my runt plants, and those don't dry out as quick as the others. I had been keeping them on the same water schedule as the bigger ones just to make it easier on myself. I'll stop doing that. I'm breathing a sigh of relief reading that they they are not harmful, and all I need to do to control them is follow proper watering procedure. Thanks for identifying them, I would have never figured that out otherwise.
:thanks:

Pretty much all of the large fan leaves have fallen off, but in some places the flowers look good. Is it possible to get halfway decent buds without the fan leaves? This week is the 8th week of flowering. I can see only a small amount of trichomes (only specks really, even through 10x loupe) and I don't know if they're ever going to develop if all the fan leaves are gone?

I'll try to get some pictures that will illustrate this.

Well, I think I did too much damage early in flowering and late in veg for them to make it long enough. They are showing no signs of improvement for like 3-4 weeks now, and I don't think they're taking up any water either. I watered 6 days ago and the soil is still wet. I pulled 'em from the grow box and put them in a dark closet to start drying out. I'll chop them down and let them dry for a week, and see how it works. Some buds do look sparkly, but nowhere near what (I think) they're supposed to look like.

Out with the old and in with the new! I've got clones back in the box, and I'm armed with much more knowledge this go-round, so hopefully it will go better this time. Will make a new journal for those, maybe... eventually.

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Don't forget to head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too! :cheer:

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom