Trying to be a farmer

Vdub56

420 Member
I’m an old guy this June made 50 years of smoking pot! I’m just getting reacquainted with growing. I need to develop a system and go. I’m having trouble growing outside and have had no luck from seeds or cloning. So I’m either the thumb of death or just missing something. In Ohio I just threw em outside and they grew. Here in Colorado extreme northwestern corner. I can’t raise hell with a redhead whore and bottle of whiskey!

Attachments

• ED0BACA6-A7FF-44F1-B8F9-39C84BD99AF7.jpeg
    ED0BACA6-A7FF-44F1-B8F9-39C84BD99AF7.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 41
:welcome:

Welcome to 420. Whores & Whiskey .... 2 things that go great together ! I don't know shit about outside growing; so can't help you there. I do all indoor grows.
Thanks! And I’m in the extreme NW corner of Colorado so I’m heading in to setup my first grow room. Any ideas tips? I’m a DAV so I got off moriphine after 40 years of “legal” use. Lol The gov was my dealer! Now I’m going to be trying to grow. So any help is appreciated.

In a house, shed, ? With a tent ? How much you looking to harvest every 3 - 4 months ? Personally I'd start out with a 4 x 4 tent growing 4 plants. That will get you a minimum of 1 lb. for a 1st grow & 3 lbs. once you get better at it. So you need a 4 x 4 x 7 tent, a good light (I'd recommend a Mars Hydro TSW 2000 or TSW 3000), an oscillating fan, a 6" Inline Fan & Carbon Filter, Soil (Fox Farms Ocean Forrest) is what I use, Nutrients (I use Mega Crop) it's the only nutrient you will need from start to finish, & then seeds. You'll need a small scale to weigh the Mega Crop if you use it. Also a Temp & Humidity monitor so you can keep things in the correct range.
You can find a good used 4 x 4 tent with most the equipment for about $200. You will most likely still need to buy a decent light though. 2 bags a of soil is less then $30. 1000 gram bag of Mega Crop will do 4 plants & is about $20. So you're looking at about $600 to get started.
You make that back easy the 1st grow. It's just having the money to invest initially that's tougher.

In a house, shed, ? With a tent ? How much you looking to harvest every 3 - 4 months ? Personally I'd start out with a 4 x 4 tent growing 4 plants. That will get you a minimum of 1 lb. for a 1st grow & 3 lbs. once you get better at it. So you need a 4 x 4 x 7 tent, a good light (I'd recommend a Mars Hydro TSW 2000 or TSW 3000), an oscillating fan, a 6" Inline Fan & Carbon Filter, Soil (Fox Farms Ocean Forrest) is what I use, Nutrients (I use Mega Crop) it's the only nutrient you will need from start to finish, & then seeds. You'll need a small scale to weigh the Mega Crop if you use it. Also a Temp & Humidity monitor so you can keep things in the correct range.
You can find a good used 4 x 4 tent with most the equipment for about $200. You will most likely still need to buy a decent light though. 2 bags a of soil is less then $30. 1000 gram bag of Mega Crop will do 4 plants & is about $20. So you're looking at about $600 to get started.
You make that back easy the 1st grow. It's just having the money to invest initially that's tougher.
Thanks loads! In my laundry room! Lol I’m real hillbilly! I’m saving this for setup. My grandson showed me too take a picture! These are sharp kids!!! Many blessings to you and yours
Van

Welcome! Great advice so far, but just in case you don’t quite have the capital to do it all at once, you could get started for a bit cheaper. @carcass does a great budget setup for about $150, and he gets fantastic yields in a tiny space. But if you can do it, better equipment can HELP get better results, but it’s ultimately up to you giving your plants the right attention, inside or outside.

Welcome aboard. You've landed in the right place. Tons of info here and a great community of helpful folks. I'm originally from OH. I'm sure you enjoy where you live now. No more Ohio National Guard marijuana eradication teams flying overhead and atv's buzzing around in the late summer and fall. Where I lived this was every year. Good to see your in a safe place now. Lots of decisions to make on your new grow. Your best approach is to read everything you can and use that search bar. It's going to be fun watching you launch this indoor grow. When you do start its a good idea to start a grow journal. You'll get plenty of support.

Welcome to the forum @Vdub56 :welcome:

So I’m a tech idiot. Am I to poke on carcass? Or the links below your post?
Just put an @ in front of a name and it "tags" that person :thumb:

And if you're going to grow outside, I would suggest getting a good tiller and preparing the ground first, I use organics outside (compost with amendments) for my veggies and fruits...
...all my MJ is inside in Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil & nutrients, with HIDs that cost a lot less, $190 for my 1000 watt HPS cool tube, and $175 for my two 600 watt HPS cool tubes, and $140 for my 400 watt MH cool tube...

But hey good luck with whatever you decide to do :snowboating:

My advice?
Go ahead and get started. Poke that seed in the soil and get going.
In the meantime ... read all you can. Start at the beginning ... there's a great tutorial right here on this forum ... Read, read read and then come here with your questions. There's lots of info on line and lots of books written. Don't worry about the the complicated or refining stuff out there ... just learn a little about what nutes they need, what bugs bother them, etc.

Then come back here with questions or problems. We were all new once, it's ok. And, you're not too old buddy ... I am 66 years old and I have been learning about this amazing plant my whole life and I am still not any kind of an expert. I just try to learn something new every day - it keeps me young and alive.

If you kill a plant or two; you will be forgiven. I've killed a LOT of plants (mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa). The best way to learn is to do it; but keep reading.

See you at the boards.

Ok Susan says a big yes on 4x4x7’ so I like the 4 plant idea and in that space how many 120 mm fans ? I have a regular grow light from our son. Not sure what it is but can get that info. I’m starting seeds and going to Denver to get plants if seeds fail. I can’t find plants on western slope we’re isolated! Lol if anyone knows of any On this side of the mts. lmk.

Back
Top Bottom