Turbo Bucket's Take On RADDWC: Grow Room Build-Up

Yay goodies! Been waiting forever to finally order this fan for the veg closet.

In case you don't know, I love hyperfans. They kick so much ass. I get a TON of push back when I suggest them though. People will gladly drop a grand on a light but balk at $250 for a fan and temperature speed controller.

These fans move more air per watt than anything else. Everyone is always trying to squeeze every last photon out of their lights and every last gram from their plants, why not demand the same performance from your environmental setup? There's no reason to waste energy your going to pay for it at some point.

Here's some of the documentation to further illustrate why these things rock. Keep in mind it is provided by the manufacturer but the claims seem accurate to the 8in fan I've had running continually for 2 years now. It powers two 4x4 tents.

This shows how fast they pay off the cost difference to cheap fans.

These are fan curves that show the actual performance of the fan once it's loaded up with a carbon filter. They only provide numbers for their line but it shows how every fan reacts to being loaded up. Your not getting the airflow numbers listed on the box, hate to break your heart but your 6in centrifugal isn't moving 300 CFM with a filter on it, or even duct really.

Here's a little bit more info on why the motor they use is better than anything else on the market.

I'm not paid by hyperfan, I just can't stand watching people waste energy simply because they're cheap and Ill informed. The average household uses about 30kw/h per day, a lot of grows use that much, 2x 1000 watt hoods on a flower schedule is 24kw/h per day, almost as much as an entire household uses, just for two lights. Just think.
well i'm sold. thanks for the excellent write up and convincing argument not to cheap out on the other odds and ends. I'll be looking at one of these next time i can afford it.

New fan is hung. If you haven't been through the whole journal you've missed my veg closet so here's a look now that it's almost put back together. It was originally going to be a dual chamber closet but I wanted more space. Anyways.

Fan hung, feeds two 8in trunks with a pair of 6in wall stacks on each.

The wall stacks feed registers in the side walls that recirculate air back across the plants. This reduces the need for circ fans as well as supplemental heat in the winter.

To keep things from getting too warm I have a 4in outlet on the trunk which dumps outside the closet at ceiling level. So there's always a portion of the air going out.

Of course I've said it a thousand times but if you send air out, new air will come in. To allow this and control where it comes in at I have a pair of 4in duct hoses stuffed through the bottom of the door. So as it constantly exhausts air it also brings in fresh air and circulates the mixed air back across the plants.

You should be asking yourself doesn't it get too hot though? Nope.
This is where the hyperfan speed controller really shines. This whole thing was designed around it. As the temp rises the hyperfan speeds up, this increases the air speed across the plant surfaces increasing cooling, it also increases the amount of old air being exhausted and the amount of new air coming in.

The exhaust has been running with a single 13 watt condenser fan motor for the last year or so, since I stole the bigger hyperfan to run the flower tents with. I'll remove it now.

This system was built to be an economical way to run big lights requiring co2 enrichment without ac. With a motorized damper on the exhaust you could keep everything sealed as long as possible until it has to vent and then you can slowly and incrementally open the damper to bring temps back down slightly without dumping your whole co2 charge.

Pictures

This is what happens when buds get too close to the lights. These were within an inch of the boards, notice the lack of burn? Lights don't burn plants, people do. Dial in your environment/feeding and you won't burn them.

I've heard it called cotton topping, that article mentioned it being an undefeed situation. I'm not positive what causes it but my guess is that it's just too much light without co2, makes the growth cycle kinda short out.

do you do a defol and / or minor lollipop when / just before you drop the screen turbo ?

do you do a defol and / or minor lollipop when / just before you drop the screen turbo ?

Yes. I usually trim them a little bit before and then again after they're under. For the next couple weeks I tuck everyday and trim as needed.

Yes. I usually trim them a little bit before and then again after they're under. For the next couple weeks I tuck everyday and trim as needed.

they look great.
would kill to do a scrog grow. it just doesn't fit with the circumstances tho.

I'm getting ready to switch to individual mobile setups. It's too hard to trim in there, I wanna be able to pull them out and work on them.

tag me for that when you do. read my mind.

issue is i need something allowing moving in and out of the grow space..
have seen some individual set-ups before, some decent some not. trying to figger something out.

I'm planning to do a sub floor slightly taller than the zipper roll in roll out. Mine will be a catwalk in between the two tents facing door to door so my ramp will be outside the tents and away from the doors. Same watering system, ironing out the drain stuff but probably a saucer with a drain hole on the caster cart and then a drain hole in the floor with some sort of cover they can roll across, all connected together with 3/4 PVC to a single outlet.

I'm planning to do a sub floor slightly taller than the zipper roll in roll out. Mine will be a catwalk in between the two tents facing door to door so my ramp will be outside the tents and away from the doors. Same watering system, ironing out the drain stuff but probably a saucer with a drain hole on the caster cart and then a drain hole in the floor with some sort of cover they can roll across, all connected together with 3/4 PVC to a single outlet.

make simple floating floors using standard plastic shelving units. i've done them before in other spaces and cut the centers out of the top shelves to allow screens for drainage etc..

i've added shelves under the plants for air pumps and stuff during other stages. it's a cheap way to get there if you don't wanna mess with lumber and digit removing power tools.

plus lazy. love lazy. :p

I have a decent shop so I don't mind the scary powertools lol. I really need a nice tight fit to be able to get all the caster carts in there. If I dropped down to 4 or 6 plants it wouldn't be as big of a deal but I don't have a big enough veg space for plants that size.

Tent #1

Tent #2

The easiest thing I've found so far for drainage of a tray is a condensate pump. Tray runs into the pump. When the pump is full enough a float valve kicks on and pumps water out a line to where ever you want. Thinking of having it exit my window

Example
Screenshot_20200121-091444_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Pictures

This is what happens when buds get too close to the lights. These were within an inch of the boards, notice the lack of burn? Lights don't burn plants, people do. Dial in your environment/feeding and you won't burn them.

I've heard it called cotton topping, that article mentioned it being an undefeed situation. I'm not positive what causes it but my guess is that it's just too much light without co2, makes the growth cycle kinda short out.
Screenshot_2020-01-21-09-24-20.png

The easiest thing I've found so far for drainage of a tray is a condensate pump. Tray runs into the pump. When the pump is full enough a float valve kicks on and pumps water out a line to where ever you want. Thinking of having it exit my window

Example
Screenshot_20200121-091444_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Yea I work with condensate pumps lol. With the number of times I've seen them flood basements, and attics, I won't trust one in my house. I have a floor sump so I don't have to. I'm still at the mercy of my sump pump failing, it has once shortly after we moved in so I should be clear for a couple more years. Every pump, switch, motor, controller, is just a failure point and I hate failure lol.

The trick is making a floor that goes wall to wall in the tent, above the zipper line. It needs to be a flush surface so caster wheels don't get stuck in the drain holes, which need to drain together into a single outlet from the tent that ties into the drain line already on the floor. And of course it needs to be waterproof. So I'll probably just use some 3/4 treated plywood and seal it with truck bed liner.
I think I'll use expanded aluminum or stainless steel to make simple box covers for the drains and I'll recess them into the floor.
For the drains themselves I think I'm going to use 4in funnels to actually catch the water from the saucers. 3/8 hose and some barb fittings to drop the funnels to the 3/4 drain lines and then into the 1"line outside the tents and into the sump.
I have a diverter for the sump runoff so in the summer it goes into a raised bed in the South end of the house. (Don't let your condensing furnace runoff dump in there all winter long though, it's full of harsh byproducts from the combustion cycle, the stuff will etch concrete, definitely don't need that in your gardens.)

I dunno it's still a pipe dream at this point. Who knows what the final product will end up being.

Yea poor little buggers. My point is their not brown around the edges like people try to blame on the lights. That plant really jacked up my canopy.

Got the green lights up and running.

There's three light fixtures in that room on two switches so I stole one feed and used it for the driver which I tucked up in the drop ceiling.

Not the prettiest but it'll work just fine.

I used L brackets on the side of the C channel and tucked the ends into the drop ceiling. Fed the wire in the drop ceiling so it looks moderately presentable.

They work great. I used 6 probably didn't have to but there's plenty of light to work with.

Got the green lights up and running.

There's three light fixtures in that room on two switches so I stole one feed and used it for the driver which I tucked up in the drop ceiling.

Not the prettiest but it'll work just fine.

I used L brackets on the side of the C channel and tucked the ends into the drop ceiling. Fed the wire in the drop ceiling so it looks moderately presentable.

They work great. I used 6 probably didn't have to but there's plenty of light to work with.
that's awesome. i need to have this in my tent. i wish i was more of a handy man lol.

"if they don't find ya handy they should at least find you handsome"

Back
Top Bottom