Utopian Submarine - 2000W, Indoor, Perpetual

Thinking of cutting out the scrog

I know this is a drastic measure, but I am seriously considering cutting the scrog.

Thoughts so far:

This WAS supposed to be the test group - so I don't feel terrible about doing it. I will make sure I have stuff to support the branches.

I believe if I simply cut the line - it will come out with minimal damage to the plant.

I did not implement it well, and it is going to cost me yield I believe. I should have put the scrog 6" lower. There is a whole layer of budsites just below the scrog that are not getting their due. I think I will actually get more light to more sites if I tie them up rather than scrog them down.

Its still early enough in some of the plants that it will save some yield I believe.

I need the space. If I get rid of the scrog, both sets of flowering plants are at similar enough heights that I can benefit from both 600s. I can spread out the plants I have there. Because there were not 5 plants under the scrog as planned, it is not filled and therefore taking up more space than it creates.

I will have another 15 plants ready for flowering in 3-4 weeks. They can be added in individual pots and hand watered if necessary. Even soil maybe. I'm considering this for 1 Utopia.

If anyone has any thoughts - I think you have a few hours to convince me not to do this. It might be only a few minutes depending on how the medication affects me.

:grinjoint:

The screen is supposed to improve yield. If you do not feel it is doing that for you then cutting it would be the right thing to do. LST can work as well as a scrog but not get in the way like a scrog can.

The screen is supposed to improve yield. If you do not feel it is doing that for you then cutting it would be the right thing to do. LST can work as well as a scrog but not get in the way like a scrog can.

I agree - well said. +Reps.

I'm thinking through very carefully the removal, and then support. I may try to reuse some of the current frame and line to make a trellis - basically 8" to 12" squares of the line - to support or tie to.

Or tie to the ceiling, or tie to clothes hangers from the ceiling.

Bong Break - SCROG being unwoven - results so far - EXCELLENT!

I'm posting now cause I'm getting tired and when I'm done gonna hit the sck. But I'm here for a BB.

No More SCROGDAGE for these girls

Quick Update:

All's well in the Sub. The removal of the scrog went very well - no casualties.

The girls have spread out nicely. I thought I was going to have to support everything, in reality they just loved the lack of scrogdage.

I do think that I will see a little better yield and quality from more buds now.

And I know I have more room, for plants, even though the ones in there now have spread out.

Also, the plants are far more substantial than I thought. After taking them out of the scrog, I have to say that they are doing very well. If there had been 4 or 5 plants under the scrog we would have maxed out the estimated yield. As it is - I am confident we will see pretty good results from the plants. And if things go as planned there will be more next to them soon.

So.... I think I'm well on track to get 6-9oz from these 3 plants and there are 6 more 3 weeks behind and 15 more 4-5 weeks after that. The perpetual nature of the harvest is kicking in. I'm gonna wait to start the next batch. Theoreticaly there would be a new batch going in early next week, but in the interest of space and letting things even out in there - gonna wait a few extra weeks and see where we are. I have plenty of clones right now to lst and stall things in veg I hope while waiting for the plants up top to finish.

If it looks like I will not have the appropriate room for the Barney's I will have to get another light and allocate a different space. Hrm.

Sub Re-organization

Just a quick BB update:

So today is turning in to quite the productive day. After freeing the girls, they decided they wanted to stroll around for a photoshoot, so we'll have some pics later.

I have used the opportunity to clean the room a little and rinse the buckets. For some reason it makes me feel good to see fish scales and other organic type things in the bottom. There is something inherently more pleasing about it than the salt based ferts. Just a silly thing, but it just feels right to me. And I believe the girls are liking it as well.

There are some good crystals forming now - hopefully we'll get some good pics. They're a little droopy today for obvious reasons, but all in all I'm very jazzed.

I'm gonna let them settle a little. I might try to do some tying today, but I think I'll let them have a day or two to move where they want. I don't need the space immediately. I'll likely help a few branches into place.

I guess I am slightly concerned about their roots. They have definitely filled into the pots nicely, and they still have SOME room, but I think it likely I will have bound roots by the end. If I was growing under 1Ks I would definitely build my own ebb and grow from 5G buckets.

So that's it for now - was more medicated than I thought.

Post SCROG removal Pics

OK folks, I think I have some good pics today. The dang camera ran out of batteries right when I was gonna start the macro stuff, so no closeups. But I like the way the girls look in the other pics. You really get a better sense of the plants from these pics than any of the previous I think.

So...

The Kali Mist. She was the runt - was stunted by poor conditions at beginning. Only about 2.5 feet tall not including bucket. I still don't know what to make of this strain. I've done some reading and there are all kinds of stories about it. I'm excited to see how she turns out. And given how stunted this one was - I'm super excited to see how her flowering clones do.

IMG_0009_JPG_8001.jpg

IMG_0001_JPG_800.jpg

This one makes her look like more of a mess than she is:
IMG_0005_JPG_800.jpg

Now the Dog Hair. This one has become my favorite I think. It has just the right combination of growth characteristics that I like. I have no idea what the smoke will be like - but I know only good bag seeds went into the batch she came from, so I have high hopes. There were even some Jack Herer in there - I have my fingers crossed.

IMG_0031_JPG_800.jpg

IMG_0035_JPG_800.jpg

IMG_0031_JPG_800.jpg

You can see here where the CO2 kicked in and I lost the battle of anti-stretch:
IMG_0068_JPG_800.jpg

This damn shot with ruler... I've tried about 500 pics so far of all the plants with a ruler and can NOT get the ruler and the plant in focus at the same time, with the ruler in the right place, without the flash glaring out the numbers. Here's the 1 in 500.
IMG_0061_JPG_800.jpg

And finally, AK-47. She didn't make it out of the room. Its amazing the difference in the two phenos of AK. I have both in the garden, so I will try to get some pics up of the short one later. This plant would have stood 5 feet tall had she been allowed to.
IMG_0090_JPG_800.jpg

IMG_0091_JPG_800.jpg

And finally, the girls back at home:
IMG_0099_JPG_800.jpg

IMG_0102_JPG_800.jpg

And a little taste of the next crop next door...
IMG_0106_JPG_800.jpg

There are more pics from my escapades today, but I'm going out for dinner. I'll get more up later including ones of the clones and some lst that is going well.

Hope you like. Any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated.

Looking good there :goodjob:
Thanks, Stakkur.

You've been here since the beginning, and I know you're interested in the controller - I promise gonna make progress on it in the next day.

Do you live in Reykjavic? (sp?) I actually have a few other friends from there as well. I have a feeling you would know them or their family in RL - seems everyone there knows everyone. Reykjavic sounds like a nice place to live. Its about the same size as the city I live in.

I also find it funny that all Icelanders speak english so well. I mentioned that to another friend one time and he said,"There are only about 200K people in Iceland speaking Icelandic - if you don't speak another language its gonna get real boring real fast!"

Hey what up WP?? Man things go by fast here!!! I loved the discussion about the tissue culture especially. One benefit is low maintenance requirements for the cultures. A mother needs much more care and expense. Another, you can keep many strains (mothers) in a very small space. Imagine having 20 living strains in a closet... They produce robust plants that grow quicker than seeds and offer the genetic benefits of clones. These benefits seem interesting to me...although in practicality I don't need 20 strains etc. Just seems especially cool. If your a breeder the benefits are probably exponentially more pronounced.

The scrog issue...I got here too late to throw my 2 cents in but I would have said to do what you think is best anyway. Looks like you made the right choice. I like what Slimm said about LST and SCRoG. I am trying to tie and tuck my gals in a scrog like fashion without the scrog of course. It looks pretty good so far. Tops are gaining height while fans and bush remain a level lower.

Love the journal my man, My Noggin swells a bit each time I kick it in the sub. We need to HOTBOX in that b!tch!!

L8ER

Thanks, Stakkur.

You've been here since the beginning, and I know you're interested in the controller - I promise gonna make progress on it in the next day.

Do you live in Reykjavic? (sp?) I actually have a few other friends from there as well. I have a feeling you would know them or their family in RL - seems everyone there knows everyone. Reykjavic sounds like a nice place to live. Its about the same size as the city I live in.

I also find it funny that all Icelanders speak english so well. I mentioned that to another friend one time and he said,"There are only about 200K people in Iceland speaking Icelandic - if you don't speak another language its gonna get real boring real fast!"

The controler indeed does excite me since it's rigth down the smack of my two strongest intrests, electronics (which i study) and cannabis cultivation(which i wish i could do).

But yeah i live in Reykjavík and i migth or migth not know some of them. As for the english its partly due to that we are taugth it from the age of 10 in schools and that almost nobody bothers translating anything that goes on tv here, just subtitles. My only beef with living in Reykjavík is that weed is expencive as fuck (40 dollars/gram) and the busses are slow, other than that its a pretty great place to live in.

Back on track, how much do you expect to yield per plant ? 2-3 oz ?

The controler indeed does excite me since it's rigth down the smack of my two strongest intrests, electronics (which i study) and cannabis cultivation(which i wish i could do).

But yeah i live in Reykjavík and i migth or migth not know some of them. As for the english its partly due to that we are taugth it from the age of 10 in schools and that almost nobody bothers translating anything that goes on tv here, just subtitles. My only beef with living in Reykjavík is that weed is expencive as fuck (40 dollars/gram) and the busses are slow, other than that its a pretty great place to live in.

Back on track, how much do you expect to yield per plant ? 2-3 oz ?

Nice summary of Reykjavik.

As far as yield - I have been looking at that alot lately. I am always terrible at guessing, but I think at this point if I average less than 3oz per plant I will be disappointed.

Very impressive grow WP! If you like a good head rush you'll love that KaliMist. I find I can get a strong anxiety rush from it if I do more than a hit or two but the uplift is great for a daytime high and kicks my depression out the door!

I'd rep you but it won't let me yet. Gonna have to spread some love elsewhere today.

C'ya L8r.

:peace:

Nice grow WP. I do something similar, have a bathroom exclusively for flowering. I bought several adjustable curtain rods ($5 a piece) and use as needed. If I need support at 90 degrees I just use string. Works well for me. Keep up the good work! ONG

Thanks all. Great tip on the shower curtain rods!! I wish I'd thought of it.

BTW, I am not gonna respond to each person anymore. Not because I don't read them or care, but because I find my journal far more interesting when I let others talk. So I'll post relevant updates and pics of course. And chime in when appropriate, but I'm gonna try and cut back on my chit chat.

Thanks again to all that post - and keep it up! I want more!

CO2 Sensor Update

Okey Dokey folks. I'm moving forward again with the controller!

Baby steps at first still - but some interesting things to update.

First - I have just gotten off the phone with tech support from Parallax. They are really great. So first thing y'all should know - for anyone thinking of doing this project - Parallax is making a module version of this sensor. Its in R&D right now and should be out soon. What that means is you will not have to fight with the actual sensor, but can access the info via their module. This is what I have for the temp/humidity sensor - much easier!

But, all that having been said, he's gonna get the info from the R&D guys and send me an email with hopefully some code and a schematic for a simple setup. Now that's what I call support! +reps to Parallax!

So, while I wait for that - I'm gonna go ahead and get the temp/humidity inline and operational, then I'm gonna take my contraption in the grow room and let it run a fan or maybe even the A/C for a while. Hopefully it will be in the room in the next day or two. And possibly even with the CO2, if there's no big gotcha with the sensor. Pics to come.

CO2 Sensor Update

Hi again - I just got the email from Parallax. They have asked that I keep the diagram confidential, as it will be their released product in the near future. This is fine because its a little more intimidating than I expected, like it'll take me at least a few days just to get the specific capacitors and resistors required. So I don't recommend this sensor to anyone without more experience than I have. I'm gonna try it I think, but I'm not betting on great success. All others should wait for the module.

So... the long and short of it is - when they release the sensor, I'll share the schematic - since it will be published anyways, and in the mean time I'm getting all other functions on line. If I can pull off the CO2 then I will, otherwise I'll wait for the module.

Back
Top Bottom