Utopian Submarine - 2000W, Indoor, Perpetual

Hey WP, just wanted to let you know I'm checking up on how things are going in the Yellow Submarine. You've got a great grow going! Couldn't quite figure it out from reading the posts... how many days are you in to flower and when do you think you'll start harvest?

Best to you,
Uniform Sierra Uniform Lima

Re: User Name Change

Hi all-

Per the site's guidelines - which I totally agree with, since they are what create the great vibe we all love around here - we changed my user name to get rid of the Whiskey (no alcohol or other drugs). BTW the name is just the phonetic of my RL initials. Like Alpha, Bravo, Charlie .... Whiskey - W, Papa - P.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

And to anyone who joins this journal from now on - all the quotes back there from Whiskey Papa are me :).

:thanks:
:peace:

I love your name change. Yes it is new for me. I try to tell the truth, but in this hobby there is alot of gray, instead of black and white. If we meet are needs growing, we're all good. I'll try to stop by as much as I can, but thar is aloot to cover! Joe Coffee is a great guy too. sorry about the confusion, even gets me somtimes. Laters! :peace:

Right On! Yubb there's no right or wrong way to do most things in this game. Gotta love it.
WOW :thanks: man!!

I guess all you learned from me is what not to do....lol...

I glad you have learned some thing from me....Please inform me of what that was bro....hahaha

Best of luck to ya man.....

Jeeze. You're harsh. I'm pretty medicated right now, but as far as I remember you've taken a few hits with the clone and the 1024, but all in all a great grow. And not to be brutal, but when you share your mistakes, and/or problems with the rest of us - I guarantee you're saving 10 plants for every one you lose.

I'm just an amateur with an expensive camera, but I hang out with several photographers. That's why I asked someone to check me. I like the name change too.

I have been fascinated with digital imaging a long time, but its crazy how this one thing just gets me. No worries though, I'll keep faking it, and when Jah decides he wants me to take better pics, I will.

Hey WP, just wanted to let you know I'm checking up on how things are going in the Yellow Submarine. You've got a great grow going! Couldn't quite figure it out from reading the posts... how many days are you in to flower and when do you think you'll start harvest?

Best to you,
Uniform Sierra Uniform Lima

Hi, Bro. Thanks for poking in. Great question. I'm gonna follow this post with an update cause it gets a little hectic. The quick answer is there are 4 or 5 different groups going in there right now. The first plant will likely be ready to harvest in about 2-4 weeks. Then there will be plants being harvested almost weekly from then on. With a goal to 6-8 plants every month. I have a very mixed batch of plants in there. Was maybe a nutty or overly ambitious undertaking in this small a place - but it seems we may make it. I'm about to post a summary of all the girls, and hopefully finally some of the promised pics from the last few days.

So to all - thanks! Gimme a few minutes to medicate and write the next post and I think it will get us all up to speed.

Big Update - 2 weeks out on test group

Alrighty, this one's gonna be a long one I think.

Group 1
I think we're about 2-4 weeks from harvest on the 1st AK-47 plant. Then within a few weeks after that the other two budding plants - Kali Mist, and Dog Hair. That batch was my "test group" 3 different strains very different growth habits. They were started in November and flipped to 12/12 on Christmas night. Gotta admit was pretty tricky trying to keep them all happy. The difference in ppm from what the AK-47 and the Kali Mist wanted during veg was about 200-300ppm which was hard to balance. Not to mention the Kali Mist is about 2 feet tall and the AK would be about 5 feet if she was standing up. And I guess they're technically all hybrids, but boy do their phenos express themselves - there's definitely what I would call a Sativa, Indica, and mix.

Group 2
Then the next batch was started 21 days later. That was 8 plants. Unfeminized seeds. 6 what I thought were NYCD but I was informed tonight they are Strawberry Diesel from a dispensiary in CA, and the 2 AK are from my previous grow. 1/8 was male - a Diesel. The important thing with this batch that they have been on a strict 1 month schedule. Exactly 1 month from seed to flower. So now there are 7 plants that should ripen anywhere from 1-4 weeks after the test batch.

Moms
I took clones from the first group. They're 1 month old today. They are being grown for Moms. I have started LST on them, and am trying to FIM one.

Group 3
On Jan 1, I started 6 Barney's Farm from seed. 5/6 popped. I'm very bugged at myself cause I'm pretty sure I could have gotten 6/6 if I had not still been screwing around learning the rockwool - I should have gone soil to start the Barney's. Anyway - 3 Utopia Haze all feminized are now 24 days from seed. I am trying to slam the breaks on their size in veg. I want to let the flower area clear out a little, and obviously the longer I can veg them - the better the yield. So I will do lots of LST and FIMing on them.

Then about two weeks ago a friend showed up with a cutting from another plant. I know nothing about the other grower. Its the one I've called Montana, cause that's where the plant is from. I snipped the end, Rootech, and under the dome. Today she's 3 days out from under the dome with nice roots popping out the 6" net pot.

Group 4
And finally, there are 14 "Flowering Clones". These were taken a week ago on day 21 of the flowering cycle of the test group. Some are from the the Diesel and AK from second group as well. I've never grown a flowering clone, but from the pictures I've seen - with just a little topping these little gals should grow like a thorn bush. We'll see.

So that's where we're at. If all goes as planned it should work out to 6-8 plants every month. From here on out it should be all clones and I'm gonna try to get it to only one strain in a given E&G. I have more clones than I can use right now so I will give some away. Certainly the guy that gave me Montana will get a nice bit of reciprocity.

I am very strongly thinking I may move the sub to a bigger home soon. Not really increase the number of plants, but just make it much easier to work with them. The current room was a matter of necessity, the new one will be convenience.

And now I have to hit the sack. It's almost 6:30 AM - I've been up all night and I'm just too tired to post the pics. If I can still edit this when I get up then I'll add the pics here. If not then I PROMISE the very first post tomorrow will be pics of all the plants. Sorry to make you wait for the eye-candy after all that reading.

Papa Green said:
Re: User Name Change
Hi all-

Per the site's guidelines - which I totally agree with, since they are what create the great vibe we all love around here - we changed my user name to get rid of the Whiskey (no alcohol or other drugs). BTW the name is just the phonetic of my RL initials. Like Alpha, Bravo, Charlie .... Whiskey - W, Papa - P.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

And to anyone who joins this journal from now on - all the quotes back there from Whiskey Papa are me :).

That one threw me for a loop last night!

Hey man, i'm liking the name change :cheer:
I'm pretty intrested in seeing how your flowering clones will turn out. Horizontal growing is always an intresting attempt.

How much are you expecting to yield every month then? 6-18 oz ?

OK - so the pics aren't first, but they are ready, and coming next. I gotta say hi to the peeps first though:

Nice update. Like the name too. A Papa by any other name would still grow as green.:rollit::peace:
LOL - I like that.
Hey man, i'm liking the name change :cheer:
I'm pretty intrested in seeing how your flowering clones will turn out. Horizontal growing is always an intresting attempt.

How much are you expecting to yield every month then? 6-18 oz ?

I had originally thought I would stick to the 1 month rotation and just see what yield that gives. The first batch actually vegged a little longer cause I wanted to make sure there was gonna be enough to make me and my patient(s) happy.

The second batch was strictly on the 1 month schedule to see what they yield. I think the first group will yield about 3oz/plant avg. I think the second will be less, but I don't know how much. I had originally thought about 1.25 oz/plant in the fast rotation. I don't really have any reason to raise those expectations yet.

So I think your estimate is pretty good - once its rolling, should be about 9-12 oz/month.

I'm pretty sure I can hit those numbers if I do at least 3 plants a rotation and veg longer, and down the road I may try to increase their time in veg and use fewer plants. That's sort of what I'm experimenting with now. I gotta see how much reasonable growth I can squeeze into that little veg area using FIM, LST or topping.

Great update, thanks for all the info. Quite an operation you've got going!

Thanks! Those updates help me as well. Trust me when I say I've flipped back to this journal many times to reference all kinds of dates and pics.

And thanks everyone on the nice comments on the name change. The 420 folks were super about changing the name and the journal to match.

Yea, I refer back to my journal all the time - it's a great reference tool. That it's accompanied by this fabulous community of growers is a huge bonus.

Wanted to chime in on the notes you made about FIMing. I tried it for the first time a few weeks ago and totally agree - it is tricky! A millimeter or two difference in the snip makes a huge difference. I missed pretty badly on my first try, leaving too much material and it did indeed look like someone took a bite. I let it grow a little then cut again in the place I should have the first time and now I have four lovely tops on that plant. So, once you can see the results of your first try, cleaning things up with a second cut seems to be a good thing.

Looking forward to the pics. I really enjoy reading and looking through your journals. I have to find time to check your other threads but how is that controller going?

:goodjob::peace:

4 Days of Pics

OK - I fell asleep in the chair last night before I posted the pics.

This time gonna do the pics first - then say hi to folks.

Here are some from the Kali-Mist. She is showing some tris.
kali_mist_tops.jpg

kali_tris.jpg

nutty_kali_snow.jpg

Kali2.jpg

Kali_close.jpg

Kali_close2.jpg

Kali_close3.jpg

Kali_close4.jpg

Here are a few of the AK. The crazy thing about these shots is they are not macro. In fact they are taken from about 4 feet away.
AK_zoom2.jpg

AK_zoom.jpg

The two plants:
kali_AK.jpg

The next group. Refered to as Group 2 above 2xAK, 5xDiesel:
next_group.jpg

And now for the little 'uns.

3x Utopia Haze.
Barneys_early_veg2.jpg

Some shots of the roots:
Utopia Haze Roots:
utopia_roots.jpg

The Mom's Roots:
moms_roots.jpg

Here's the moms:
moms1.jpg

This is the one I've done the most LST on:
AK_LST.jpg

You can almost tell from this pic how nicely shes growing around the rim:
AK_LST2.jpg

And last but certainly not least - the flowering clones:
IMG_0005_JPG_8001.jpg

That's it for now. Hope that makes up for at least a little of the lateness in posting.

Man, you got your fingers in a lot of pies! It's all looking great so you must be doing stuff right.

Kudos for all your hard work!

Wanted to chime in on the notes you made about FIMing. I tried it for the first time a few weeks ago and totally agree - it is tricky! A millimeter or two difference in the snip makes a huge difference. I missed pretty badly on my first try, leaving too much material and it did indeed look like someone took a bite. I let it grow a little then cut again in the place I should have the first time and now I have four lovely tops on that plant. So, once you can see the results of your first try, cleaning things up with a second cut seems to be a good thing.

Great description! Anyone new to FIM take that to heart.

Looking forward to the pics. I really enjoy reading and looking through your journals. I have to find time to check your other threads but how is that controller going?

:goodjob::peace:

Thanks! The other threads are not interesting. I have one old journal that was cluttered with construction pics of the room.

I have started easing back into the controller. Gonna get more work done today. The controller fell to the bottom of the priority list over the last few days. Its now bumped back up again. I will have something operational by tomorrow morning I think.

Amazing thread!!!! Looking to maybe start a perpetual myself! Again Amazing

Thanks much! There's so much to be gained from perpetual, but I will not lie - its a bitch keeping everything straight. And you must also be ready for the costs - remember that you have to have space, air, lights, nutes, water, etc for multiple rooms or areas. It was much more expensive to get this room dialed in and stocked than I thought.

One other word of caution - if you do it all in one room like this - be ready for cleaning. If I were to get bugs or mould or something like that in here its not just one crop but 4 that would be affected. And once the room is full its very difficult to move things around to clean.

Man, you got your fingers in a lot of pies! It's all looking great so you must be doing stuff right.

Kudos for all your hard work!

Thanks, man. I was thinking about your grow while I was typing up the variation in nutes between my plants. You have Kali right? That makes your eperiment even more impressive to me, cause my Kali has been the most kerfinicky of my plants. The fact you've been able to keep that res proper for your Kali is really great.

I've got a question for folks:

I am really starting to get the feeling I'm not getting the bulk to these buds I would like. Last time I used Gravity and was happy, but I really didn't have anything to compare against. This time I've not used any additional Bud Enhancers except a little extra P.

Anyone have any experience with any of the various bud enhancers?

Thanks, man. I was thinking about your grow while I was typing up the variation in nutes between my plants. You have Kali right? That makes your eperiment even more impressive to me, cause my Kali has been the most kerfinicky of my plants. The fact you've been able to keep that res proper for your Kali is really great.

Actually it's Kush in the tubs at the moment. My last grow had a tub each of Kali and Kush. The Kali were finishing their third regeneration with six of twelve plants surviving to the end. Thrips wiped me out but I wish now that I'd fought harder to save at least a few clones.

I have two Kali babies on the go now 'cause I love my Kali and I'm almost out!

Actually it's Kush in the tubs at the moment. My last grow had a tub each of Kali and Kush. The Kali were finishing their third regeneration with six of twelve plants surviving to the end. Thrips wiped me out but I wish now that I'd fought harder to save at least a few clones.

I have two Kali babies on the go now 'cause I love my Kali and I'm almost out!

Aha! Don't know why that didn't register on me before. Well, I gotta say that makes me feel a little better, cause I was comparing colas and yours were killing mine. I am really beginning to wonder if not veging longer is gonna hurt me. Still got a few weeks to go I think, but I'm starting to see milky tris, and if these buds don't fatten up soon then I'm gonna be miffed.

I find that most buds seem to fatten up big time in the last couple of weeks of flowering. That's one of the reasons it makes it hard to decide when to cut them. I'd hate to cut if they were just about to throw a last minute growth spurt. Some of my buds are throwing out new hairs like crazy and some look almost done but still have new flowers forming. I'm watching the trichs and getting antsier every day!

Back
Top Bottom