Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant SOG

Re: Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant

The only thing I was worried about was the Calcium and Cal Carb being 2 different elements and it throwing off my levels or if there would be any way to figure out how much Mag should be added like Epsom Salt to make it work? If that makes any sense at all. But check em out. I have no idea if you could source a product like that if it will work. I just got home from my Cinco De Mayo festivities and im hitting the sack. :Namaste:
That looks cool bro!

The Calcium Carbonate Equivalent labeling is confusing...it's use when liming soil for pH. For example, if a soil test report calls for 1 ton of lime per acre, that's 1 ton of certified calcitic lime...if a farmer was using this product instead of certified lime, it's will only have 92% of the effect on soil pH that lime will...so he (or she :)) would have to apply it at a rate of 2,180 pounds per acre instead of 1 ton.

You don't want to add any epsom with these minerals. I don't know enough about soil mineral ratios to explain why, but it will throw things off. Doc would probably be the one to ask about that, I'm following his recipe!

:Namaste:
Mikey, I just realized I totally didn't answer the first part of your question...instead, I it looks like I answered a question you didn't even ask! :rofl: Vape on brother!:allgood:

Sorry about that! Let me try this again...you don't have to worry, they're not two different elements...the label is telling you that the calcium content of 91% CaCO3 is 36%. Calcite is pure calcium carbonate, 100% CaCO3, and it's 40% calcium.

:thumb:

Re: Vapedogg223's Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant

Mikey, I just realized I totally didn't answer the first part of your question...instead, I it looks like I answered a question you didn't even ask! :rofl: Vape on brother!:allgood:

Sorry about that! Let me try this again...you don't have to worry, they're not two different elements...the label is telling you that the calcium content of 91% CaCO3 is 36%. Calcite is pure calcium carbonate, 100% CaCO3, and it's 40% calcium.

:thumb:

So would this be all bad for what we are trying to do? I would assume so if its not pure over 90% Cal Carb.

So would this be all bad for what we are trying to do? I would assume so if its not pure over 90% Cal Carb.

Nope, it's not bad at all! I know I'm not explaining it right... What I was saying is that if you looked a a bag of calcite, which is pure, 100% calcium carbonate, the label would read: Calcium (Ca)....40%. That product should work great, it's 91% calcium carbonate. :thumb:

Nice breakdown Vape, I get it, you explained it right.:thumb: You're saying that if the CaCO3 number is above 90%, let's say 100% for this example, it's all good. And within that number the amount of Ca is 40%. I'm assuming the other 60% is the CO3. Which gives the total CaCO3 at 100%. The 90% or above that you're looking for. I hope I'm on point, cause I'm really try'n to keep it straight myself. I'm financially deficient. Can't make a mistake when spending. By the way, I live near the ocean. Do you think that ground seashells would do the same thing and have the enough Ca? Gonna research but still wondering what anybody else's thoughts are.
I'm like a selfsufficientologist according to my wifey,lol! :allgood:

Nice breakdown Vape, I get it, you explained it right.:thumb: You're saying that if the CaCO3 number is above 90%, let's say 100% for this example, it's all good. And within that number the amount of Ca is 40%. I'm assuming the other 60% is the CO3. Which gives the total CaCO3 at 100%. The 90% or above that you're looking for. I hope I'm on point, cause I'm really try'n to keep it straight myself. I'm financially deficient. Can't make a mistake when spending. By the way, I live near the ocean. Do you think that ground seashells would do the same thing and have the enough Ca? Gonna research but still wondering what anybody else's thoughts are.

That's about it! :thumb:

Oyster shells are almost all calcium carbonate, but I'm not sure if all seashells are...sorry! I would really like to find something locally myself...I haven't tried to track down the field marking lime yet, but I will. You would think being in New England I could find some ground oyster shells, but so far online searches have turned up nada!

Re: Vapedogg223’s Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant

hey Vape!

I'm also dealing with a few plants in smaller pots. (small to me is 3 gallons) They definitely change the paradigm! Large pots are the way to go with high brix....but other factors often dictate compromise, as we both know.

So, I've been searching and postulating about how to keep soil energy up in small containers.

Rock 'n Chicken is a combination of soft rock phosphate and composted chicken manure, pelletized for easy application. Vegetables: use 4 lbs/100 sq ft of 4-6 deep soil; Roses, trees, shrubs: use 0.5-1 cup per plant; Lawns: use 40 lbs/1000 sq ft. Analysis: 2% nitrogen, 4% phosphate, 2% soluble potash, 17% calcium, 1% sulfur.

Excellent quick-release source of N. Poultry manure releases up to 75% of its N the first year in the soil, compared with 33% for most other manures.

It's recommended to put a 1/2 to 1 inch layer on top of soil. I think we've got a winner here!

hey Vape!

I'm also dealing with a few plants in smaller pots. (small to me is 3 gallons) They definitely change the paradigm! Large pots are the way to go with high brix....but other factors often dictate compromise, as we both know.

So, I've been searching and postulating about how to keep soil energy up in small containers.

Rock 'n Chicken is a combination of soft rock phosphate and composted chicken manure, pelletized for easy application. Vegetables: use 4 lbs/100 sq ft of 4-6 deep soil; Roses, trees, shrubs: use 0.5-1 cup per plant; Lawns: use 40 lbs/1000 sq ft. Analysis: 2% nitrogen, 4% phosphate, 2% soluble potash, 17% calcium, 1% sulfur.

Excellent quick-release source of N. Poultry manure releases up to 75% of its N the first year in the soil, compared with 33% for most other manures.

It's recommended to put a 1/2 to 1 inch layer on top of soil. I think we've got a winner here!

That looks good bro! :thumb: I'm liking the hen manure so far..the brand I'm using is 4-2-2, and doesn't have the SRP. I threw out the bag, (anything my dogs might like goes in screw-top 5 gallon buckets) and I cant remember what they said for top dressing, but they recommended incorporating 2 cups per 1 cf bag when preparing soil. I wasn't sure what to expect, and only added 1 cup... I'll up that next time. :)

I can see how it would work with much less effort in maybe a 5-8 gallon pot...but I knew it was going to be a challenge in the small pots before I started. I don't mind the extra work if I can get the same outcome...I guess I'll have to wait and see how things turn out!

Doc, I just noticed the 17% calcium...I guess poultry manure (especially hen) would have more calcium than other manures...do you think that would that be enough to throw off the ratios with the 6/5/3s we're using?

Doc, I just noticed the 17% calcium...I guess poultry manure (especially hen) would have more calcium than other manures...do you think that would that be enough to throw off the ratios with the 6/5/3s we're using?

the 17% calcium is largely due to the SRP included. I think if using this product, I'd try to compensate by adding less SRP to the 6/5/3 mix.

Nope, it's not bad at all! I know I'm not explaining it right... What I was saying is that if you looked a a bag of calcite, which is pure, 100% calcium carbonate, the label would read: Calcium (Ca)....40%. That product should work great, it's 91% calcium carbonate. :thumb:

Thanks guys for clearing that up for me!!

the 17% calcium is largely due to the SRP included. I think if using this product, I'd try to compensate by adding less SRP to the 6/5/3 mix.

Cool, I can get the exact same thing at the same place I got the above oyster shell. If I was going to use both, how much would I want to reduce the SRP in my ratios? Bc of the calcium content of the rock and hen with the oyster shell, Im thinking would def throw off my stuff. I am planning on mixing a very large batch of High Brix soil for some raised beds Ive been building. For my precious heirloom tomatoes that have been in my family, straight from Italy over 100 years ago. And also some other fruits, veggies and HERBS of all sorts. :Namaste:

Also forgot to ask, Pumice is SRP, correct?

Thanks guys for clearing that up for me!!

Cool, I can get the exact same thing at the same place I got the above oyster shell. If I was going to use both, how much would I want to reduce the SRP in my ratios? Bc of the calcium content of the rock and hen with the oyster shell, Im thinking would def throw off my stuff. I am planning on mixing a very large batch of High Brix soil for some raised beds Ive been building. For my precious heirloom tomatoes that have been in my family, straight from Italy over 100 years ago. And also some other fruits, veggies and HERBS of all sorts. :Namaste:

Also forgot to ask, Pumice is SRP, correct?

No problem bro! I've got to leave the ratios for Doc, but pumice and SRP are not the same...pumice is sometimes used instead of perlite though...

No problem bro! I've got to leave the ratios for Doc, but pumice and SRP are not the same...pumice is sometimes used instead of perlite though...

Pumice is not soft rock phosphate, not even close. Pumice is a volcanic rock and is good to use like perlite, which is man-made pumice in a way.

Soft Rock Phosphate is a colloidal clay. Completely different beast.

As far as the ratios go....I don't have an exact answer. I'm going to go 5/5/3 the first time I try the Rock n Chicken. For subsequent feedings, it's right back to the 6/5/3.

If I top dress with the Rock n Chicken, I'm just going to ignore the phosphate.

Pumice is not soft rock phosphate, not even close. Pumice is a volcanic rock and is good to use like perlite, which is man-made pumice in a way.

Soft Rock Phosphate is a colloidal clay. Completely different beast.

As far as the ratios go....I don't have an exact answer. I'm going to go 5/5/3 the first time I try the Rock n Chicken. For subsequent feedings, it's right back to the 6/5/3.

If I top dress with the Rock n Chicken, I'm just going to ignore the phosphate.

Thanks again. Yea the guy was telling me to sub pumice for SRP and I didnt think it would be the same. But since the oyster shell I got has calcium content as the rock n chicken I think Ill def cut back on my SRP....maybe try some at a 6-5-3, 5-5-3 and 4-5-3 and then maybe even a few with no of very very little SRP. Sound good?? I plan on mixing maybe a yard of soil...so we'll see

Ok, I have a question that's about using these methods, which create a " high brix " level in the plant, that results in an all around improvement in the health and growing potential during the grow, which converts into a plant that's higher in quality and better yielding. If this is true, wouldn't it stand to reason that the high quality mids that someone may have seeds from, could be improved considerably through use of this growing method. Especially if the quality deficit was based on the growers missteps during the grow, that contributed to the lack of potency.
:thanks:Sorry bout goin off subject, but this is something I've been wondering about for a long time considering growers have stated that you can't improve the quality thru better growing techniques.

Keep it Growing Chronicly !!​

Ok, I have a question that's about using these methods, which create a " high brix " level in the plant, that results in an all around improvement in the health and growing potential during the grow, which converts into a plant that's higher in quality and better yielding. If this is true, wouldn't it stand to reason that the high quality mids that someone may have seeds from, could be improved considerably through use of this growing method. Especially if the quality deficit was based on the growers missteps during the grow, that contributed to the lack of potency.
:thanks:Sorry bout goin off subject, but this is something I've been wondering about for a long time considering growers have stated that you can't improve the quality thru better growing techniques.

I've not heard anyone say you can't improve quality through better growing techniques. I mean, I can think of a bunch of techniques to decrease quality....starting with not watering! It stands to reason---and is confirmed by experience---that an optimal environment improves quality considerably.

The idea of high brix is quite simple: the microbes that colonize the root zone and roots do a better job feeding the plant than we can do otherwise. They have lots more practice, and the plants have had a relationship with the microbes for millions of years.

Chips and salsa, pizza and beer, microbes and roots.....some things just go together.

I agree. I'm heading closer to a fully organic " secret garden " as my finances permit. Eventually becoming an indoor example of the Great MOTHER'S blueprint. You're exactly right when you say microbes & roots. That's where it's all at. And for the record I've heard growers talk bout not being able to improve quality for years. Doesn't mean they knew what they were talking about obviously. Thanks for chiming in. Somebody's opinion who's on the right track carries more weight in my world bro.
:peace:

BTW ! Have you heard anywhere that using peat in the base will kill beneficial microbes. Read on the site of a well known long established gardener.

I agree. I'm heading closer to a fully organic " secret garden " as my finances permit. Eventually becoming an indoor example of the Great MOTHER'S blueprint. You're exactly right when you say microbes & roots. That's where it's all at. And for the record I've heard growers talk bout not being able to improve quality for years. Doesn't mean they knew what they were talking about obviously. Thanks for chiming in. Somebody's opinion who's on the right track carries more weight in my world bro.

Unfortunately for us, the worst advice for growing can be found on pot forums. The total idiocy and adherence to false premises almost guarantees problems and definitely keeps true high quality produce out of reach.

I didn't learn about growing for high brix on a pot forum!

Here is a short list of stupid ideas that are holding soil growers back and insuring that substandard crops are the norm:

1.)pH the feed water! Total BS!!!! It takes a level of ignorance to fall for this one...unfortunately, most of us start off ignorant and then get it re-inforced by reading information here. Any time there is a problem, people immediately, like a bunch of magpies start saying, "looks like a pH problem, looks like a pH problem, waaaaaaaak! Looks like a pH problem......squaaaaaaaawk."

2.)Is there a problem? Flush, flush, flush!!!! Again, pure BS. The "problem" isn't due to lack of flushing, it's due to build up of salts and death of the micro-herd. Flushing just further depletes the soil, even it it does temporarily relieve some of the salt build up. Proper feeding requires no flushing!

3.)Closely related to the above is the dreaded "lockout." Sage growers, upon viewing a crappy garden with sickly plants are quick to opine that "it looks like lock out. Flush with pH "X" water, then keep flushing more, etc."

Total BS! Many times, "lockout" is merely the result of too much pH down being used, and the deficiencies associated with "lockout" are due to leeching from all the flushing!

Pot growers are like medieval barbers! No matter what problem the patient had, a bit of bloodletting would fix it......

Here's the reality:

Microbes adjust pH on the fly, all by themselves, all the time. Actually, you want "lockout" because then you can't burn your plants and the only food they get is what the microbes bring.....and they'll be lush and healthy! As long as the soil has the raw materials, a healthy microbial population will feed the plants far better than any number of bottles with rasta men, or bright colors and tatoo-like graphics.

I think what has happened is that hydroponics methods have been mixed in with soil growing technique. The two are totally different! What I'm saying above applies to soil growing only. Hydro is different, not better, not worse.....different.

Re: Vapedogg223’s Got a Brand New Bag! All Organic - High Brix -Nirvana Ice- 49 Plant

Finally got through your thread. Those are some fantastic growers, but with the organisms doing all that work all you have left to do is sing to them. lol

Count me in Vape. Sub'd

Cant hardly wait to see the next pics.

Doc is spot on...I heard of folks growing out mediocre bag seed and ending up with some phenomenal meds! I've got jars of bag seed around here somewhere...I just don't have to time to gamble with unknown genetics when there's so much out there to choose from! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom