you know weas,, i read the articles in max yield as well,, quite like them,,

know what tho,, the authors are never 'scientists', who have 'proven' s results to write about,, the authors are very much folks like you,, just like you as a matter of fact.

experienced growers who have learned things from trial and error,, from doin it,,, not from books,,

your results speak very clearly for themselves,, simply the frostiest buds around,, period,, from every single strain you grow

you have a 'sense' about this stuff.

but the ph thing,, i guess entirely possible you have been adjusting for no reason,, but you just started incorporating the clay into your mix?? is that not correct? so,, testing is needed for sure,, doc

it is very satisfying to actually see results in ones experiments,, repeatable results,, which is what science is all about. a proof is when others can duplicate ones results,,

me gots a nice little puddle a pollen so far,, i only need so much i guess, tho its kicks to harvest it

cheers for this sunday friend,, thank goodness for this thread,, my last real connection to this site,, tho i have learned how to troll just fine,, thx

cheers agin friend,,

Thanks Nivek.
I never did add the clay. It’s been on the list forever but I haven’t taken the time to go get any. The ‘easiest’ place to get it is in one of the beaches close to town and I’m always anxious to get the town stuff done and then get further away from the town. So it’s always next time.
I think the Maxyields comment you’re referring to was on another thread. It was cited by another growing- It said that the bud ‘offgasses’ as it cures and the pressure builds in the jar, amd that’s why it has be ‘burped’ every day to ‘release the pressure’ Totally untrue IMO.
In that case it was because he was wondering if the fermentation lids for mason jars (they’re used for making stuff like kimchi - which really does offgas) would save all that daily ‘burping’.

oh,, my error,, i was not referencing that max article, i never even read that one,, just a lot of their articles, cuz i read em all,, cept that one , i guess,, :snowboating:

I’ve never read any, but they got that one wrong IMO- so it’s good you didn’t read it and corrupt your mind with the bro-science. Never heard the teeniest little pfft of gas pressure releasing no matter how many months or years I leave the lid on.

Off topic, but I loaded up MC's new Vegan blend with Greenway CalMag which is the powder form of Botanicare's CM, at 5 grams/Gal of each. This is the first blend out there that is relatively close to what I'm doing. Their K is a tad higher, P a lot lower, Mg lower, and their micros vastly different. Still, the Fe is in ideal range according to what I was taught, and also the elevated Zinc caught my eye and is jiving with things I've been reading lately. My half gallon of micros is about empty so this would be a great time to try a new formulation.

IDK if you're on Farside or InTheShed's journals, but both are using the MC blend and at least Farside is in Faux mix which is peat based. Maybe this would be a good chance to request a sample of Megacrop? If you pay the shipping, I think they'll give you a sample, maybe enough to finish one plant? I don't own MC, but just looking at their formulation I have a lot of respect and already used their NO3:NH4 formulation.

MC Vegan w CalMage.JPG

I’ve looked at it before. I tried to find their Calmag stuff in Canada at one point but couldn’t. I also looked at those numbers and couldn’t figure out how the P could be that low and still be ok. (?)

- Just looked again now and it seems like they have just opened up for the Canadian market. I looked at a 10 kg bag which was the smallest one they had left available. It works out to $150 which seems a bit of a leap unless I was hearing amazing stories about it. I emailed them and asked them for a free sample

Definitely I need a change in the plant feeding dept. A bunch of the girls have gone yellow and sickly looking in recent weeks. Not sure what to blame. It’s possible the pH was off a few weeks ago for a watering or two- still it seems extreme. I’ve been keeping a strict eye on everything for the last couple weeks though, everything in the environment seems perfect, but I still don’t think they are improving.

Ever since I found HydroBuddy and started juggling my nutrient ratios around everything has gone downhill a bit, and I’m not sure which one of the many possible factors is the culprit. When I look at the mix I’m giving them now, it’s not vastly different from what I used to give them in the old days. The only different ingredients are Epsom salts and GH Micro. I don’t see anything in there that should cause such extreme yellowing and funky looking foliage. Also the bunny poo experiment plant is starting to go yellow too and it hasn’t had any feedings besides poo. Which leads me to think it’s pH related.

Another one of my latest goose chases is wondering whether maybe the Flora Micro is causing issues.
It was sitting on my shelf for over 10 years before now. Could it have possibly gone bad?
Seems unlikely.

This is one of the worst ones.

That to me looks like N def, but the Micro has plenty of N last I checked. FYI, if the Micro turned bad, you'd see mold in the bottle. They generally add a preservative to chelated micros to prevent them from turning. In my experience it was usually the other bottles that would turn bad. As far as MC, you definitely need to try a sample to verify if it's what you need. FWIW, I hope it IS what you need. I too have reservations about the super low P, but looking in other journals that use the MC, I can't deny what I see.

Yes they definitely look N deficient, though there should be plenty of that in there.
MC wrote back to say they don’t give out samples in Canada, and only have the large bags.
Got woken up early by some critter crashing around outside - hopefully a small one. Since I’m awake I’ll take the extra time to look around online for nutrients.

That sucks about MC's Canada policy. I can't imagine that the large QTY plus shipping would be reasonable enough to take a gamble? Maybe your best bet is to track down macro salts and just use the Flora Micro as your base? When accumulating my salt collection, I found about half the initial investment went towards chelated micros, plus the preservative. I bet you could get 4LBs of all the major macros for about $50 before shipping.

CalSulf (gypsum)--------------------------------------------------$3.50--4lb
CalNite----------------------------------------------------------------$10 ----4lb
MagNite--------------------------------------------------------------$8.50---4lb
MagSulf (epsom)--------------------------------------------------$6.50---4lb
PotSulf---------------------------------------------------------------$12.50--4lb----($6 on Amazon)
Monopotassium Phosphate (MKP)------------------------$14.50--4lb
*Monoammonium Phosphate (MAP) (optional)--------$7-------1lb (I use small QTY each week)

There's my hydro regimen for $62.50 for the Macros only. Aside from the micros, that's all I use. The MAP has been giving me grief ever since I got it, but I think I'm getting close to the sweet spot. I use a different CalNite, but the Haifa stuff is better due to not having the NH4 in it which would likely be more preferable in the peat moss.

Oh, I forgot about Potassium Silica, I use that too, but compared to the rest, it's expensive so I only get it in 1LB jars for more than $20 I think.

Just harvested Durple pream.. nanners.. may have found the stress point... The attempt or ability to grow flowers underground..

IMG20190828073808.jpg

Was planted to where the stem turns yellow to purple..

That sucks about MC's Canada policy. I can't imagine that the large QTY plus shipping would be reasonable enough to take a gamble? Maybe your best bet is to track down macro salts and just use the Flora Micro as your base? When accumulating my salt collection, I found about half the initial investment went towards chelated micros, plus the preservative. I bet you could get 4LBs of all the major macros for about $50 before shipping.

CalSulf (gypsum)--------------------------------------------------$3.50--4lb
CalNite----------------------------------------------------------------$10 ----4lb
MagNite--------------------------------------------------------------$8.50---4lb
MagSulf (epsom)--------------------------------------------------$6.50---4lb
PotSulf---------------------------------------------------------------$12.50--4lb----($6 on Amazon)
Monopotassium Phosphate (MKP)------------------------$14.50--4lb
*Monoammonium Phosphate (MAP) (optional)--------$7-------1lb (I use small QTY each week)

There's my hydro regimen for $62.50 for the Macros only. Aside from the micros, that's all I use. The MAP has been giving me grief ever since I got it, but I think I'm getting close to the sweet spot. I use a different CalNite, but the Haifa stuff is better due to not having the NH4 in it which would likely be more preferable in the peat moss.

I happened to bump into a thread today where a member was saying smaller amounts will be available here in Sept. Not something the company told me in their email for some reason. Funny timing that I randomly bumped into that info here, today.

More options are opening up in Canada all the time for nutrients.
I looked at custom hydro - the shipping is pricy but it scales upwards well- so a 5 pound order isn’t much different than a 20 pound order. For that they give a variety of shipping options costing between something like $350 and $75, US.

If that ‘cheap’ option is actually available then I may be able to get 20 pounds of whatever shipped for about $75, with probably a few bucks on top of that at the border.
Worth it if I can find everything in one spot. Good to try something new

Having said that I’m wondering if I should just go back to the old Botanicare regimen for now. It worked ok. Sort of hate to do that. This may be a ph problem anyway. Hmmmm :hmmmm: Decisions decisions.

Durple pream

Have one of these and a La Niña going. Also one GT regular. The other GT seedling died and the Afghan x SLH didn’t sprout.

I predict the USMCA will finally be ratified in Sept and trade from that point will likely improve, so maybe that's the reason why your source of info predicts next month? IDK if I would take the chance for the $75 shipping, especially when contrasted against $350. The 75 makes me think of someone on a mule slowly trekking the Canadian wilderness and taking forever to arrive, if at all. I obviously don't know your situation well so forgive me if this is a stupid suggestion, but maybe ship your order to your people in VC and you drive down for a visit?

I would use the Botanicare regimen if you had success with it, then map it out to figure what's what inside and try to understand WHY it works for you. When I collected my ranges on RIU from other growers, I always knew those numbers were mere starting points to move away from as need dictates. Sadly for me, I have been changing so many things that by the time I realized I was out in the wilderness, that I had to strip it back down. Well, apparently I didn't strip it down enough, or I need to measure my results against future plants as the damage is already done to the current ones.

My big ass PC yesterday was 20 days in bloom and I had to clean up her canopy. In that process, I must have clipped 5 branches that had rotted tops. I only ever had bud rot once before and now I had it on very young buds. I didn't even know that was possible? Maybe I need to drop the MAP all together? the PC and Em Dog seem to be tolerating the MAP, but the Glue's down right hate it. My current belief is that the NH4 is loading in the N, diminishing the Ca cationically and the conservative level of K isn't enough to process the excess N and the leaves cook from the inside out. The Em Dog's fans are mostly all smoked, but the rest of the plant look more or less optimal. I want to return to what I was growing when I first switched to making my own nutes. There's nothing like familiar stomping grounds.

heya friend,, an update on my pollen pursuit,,

job done,,

P1170656.JPG

a fun experiment,, i could not believe how the plant shot the heck up,, raise the roof alice,, sheesh

P1170667 (2).JPG

i got enuf pollen to last forever,, tho i don't think it lasts forever,, so,, there

P1170664 (2).JPG

i had some fun with the camera too,,

have a great weekend weaseley,, cheers fer now friend,,

oh,, darn near forgot,, i got my light on friday,, 4 days and i think all the way from china,, wow

got it up and makin trichomes already,, what fun,,

Hey @nivek That is a really nice looking male. What strain is it?

Oh sheesh. Thanks for askin. Guess i shoulda mentioned that.

That is a mama thai/thai stick cross. I was wanting it to be female so now i want to try the pollen on my last same strain seed and make more. Many more

My favorite strain so far by far. Not near

Cheers

That’s a very handsome boy, Nivek. :thumb:

...rotted tops
...bud rot
...hate
....cook from the inside out
....fans are mostly all smoked

My kinda grow. Cheers. :passitleft:

I managed to spectacularly mangle my back and have been pretty well laid up for most of the last ten days, during which time the trainwreck that is my grow derailed a little more :) I hobbled over and took a few pics tonight.
One of the side effects of being laid up was not noticing that a timer setting had been bumped. Must have happened just before the injury- the light on the right side of flowering was on steady for about a week before I noticed. At that point all the plants on the right side were showing reveg signs. I thought about pulling them all out but wasn’t in shape for doing that so I just left them and hobbled back to bed.

Strawberry Blue on Monday. All the plants on that side were showing growth like this.

Today I went back and decided that most of the plants are re-flowering, so I just killed the two worst ones and harvested a very scraggly Golden Tiger.

Here’s that same Strawbery Blue now. Seems to me like there are more new calyxs than leaves.

Other random notes.

Some of the little containers I ordered arrived, so I used some of my downtime to organize my seed collection a bit.

I managed to get rid of most of the crappy ones in the last year. I’m still missing a whole bunch. They’re scattered all over the place, on different shelves, in open containers and bags and drawers everywhere. I’m going to try to get them all together and label them better. The thing about seeds is they have to be labelled. Bump the table and jumble them up, or lose the label, or be a stoner and not even label them in the first place and then forget, duh, and poof - just like that they’re ‘mystery seeds’ :( Nearly useless.

Timer check. 51 days after I zeroed them.

The pics were taken at 9:37 Ironically the one closest to the real time is the black one which is the one I bumped and caused me the reveg problems.

The big yellowing episode from a few weeks back, which I assumed to be a pH problem, is on the mend -except for the Pineapple Chunk bunny turd experiment plant, which still looks sickly. I would guess that it’s not related to its bunny-turd only diet, since my greenhouse plants don’t yellow like this on bunny poo.

But as with almost everything else around here, I’m just not sure wtf is really going on. Ha ha ha. :lot-o-toke:

Here’s that mangy Golden Tiger.

Among other issues it got left too long. It wasn’t on the side with the timer issue but still got hit by the reveg bug a little bit.
Especially the branch that was closest to that light :laughtwo:

You can see how it’s more revegged closer to the tip of that branch

The off-colour spots that almost look like they could be mould are not mould. They are just kind of dead and crispy as the whole plant was dying by the time I harvested it

This was another failed attempt to find the legendary Thai pheno Golden Tiger which I loved so much. This one just seems like straight up Malawi without the Thai in it. I do like Malawi though, so will probably enjoy this smoke too. I have another GT seedling started in veg.

Are you giving PC3 any nutes? I see N def which you could treat with Calmag. That usually has a respectable amount of N in it.

Back
Top Bottom