What does it mean?

The short version is you grow them in the vegetative state until they are developed the way you want them. Then you change the light cycle to 12/12 or a variation of that schedule. Some run sativas with a little longer dark period. This will trick the plant into the flowering stage. It takes as little as 5-7 days or as much as 3 weeks for them to start developing flowers.

Once you see the flowers that is when the clock starts on the time frame the breeder lists. As Dwight mentioned this time table is an approximation of how long it will take them to mature. For me personally I have yet to have one finish earlier than what the breeder states. Most take a week or so longer to be ready.

I find that breeders recommendations of flowering time are usually pretty accurate. Many people start counting the flowering period from the day they flip the lights to 12/12, but I do not. I wait the 7-10 days for the plants to actually convert to flowering mode, and I count the first day of flower as the day when I see the first pistils shoot out of the growth tips instead of new green growth. Using this method I am usually within 2 or 3 days of the "estimated" harvest date.

Ok, so when they are in veg for a while, will I see a sign later on telling me they want to go into flowering or how do I determine that? Tks

They are Photo's seeds and not Auto's right? Start there as Auto's do their own thing no matter the light schedule where as Photo's you have to switch to at least 12 hours dark time a day. A lot of variables but they do usually "stretch" when you switch, so sometimes when you switch can depend on space you are in (as they can double in size or more and outgrow space you are in). Most will show you what they are far as sex with "preflowers" before you switch (if you growing Regs and not Fem seed, Fem should be female most of the time), far as time it varies on the Strain and all the other variables but usually 6-8 weeks depending on how good your eyes are is typical for them to throw out preflowers.

Ok, so when they are in veg for a while, will I see a sign later on telling me they want to go into flowering or how do I determine that? Tks
There is no certain sign. But there are several indications that the grower will notice that indicate that the plant is mature enough to go into the flowering cycle.

One is that the nodes on all the new growth will be alternate. When the plant is young and not mature the nodes will be opposite each other. Every time a new set of leaves starts to grow from the node there will be another node on the other side of the stem. As it matures there will be one node on one side but not on the other. They nodes become staggered.

Then, as the plant matures more it might, repeat "might", start to grow a pre-flower or two at each node. The plant can remain in this stage for years if the grower wants. This does not mean that the plant is in full flowering mode, just that it is ready if the length of the dark period becomes longer.

Read up on how to determine if a Marijuana plant is ready to flower and you should be able to find some photos showing the alternating nodes and photos of some pre-flowers.

There is no certain sign. But there are several indications that the grower will notice that indicate that the plant is mature enough to go into the flowering cycle.

One is that the nodes on all the new growth will be alternate. When the plant is young and not mature the nodes will be opposite each other. Every time a new set of leaves starts to grow from the node there will be another node on the other side of the stem. As it matures there will be one node on one side but not on the other. They nodes become staggered.

Then, as the plant matures more it might, repeat "might", start to grow a pre-flower or two at each node. The plant can remain in this stage for years if the grower wants. This does not mean that the plant is in full flowering mode, just that it is ready if the length of the dark period becomes longer.

Read up on how to determine if a Marijuana plant is ready to flower and you should be able to find some photos showing the alternating nodes and photos of some pre-flowers.
I'm also thinking about buying one of those jeweler's loupe so when I think the time is getting close I can check out the trichomes to determine if they are ready for harvest or not.

I find that breeders recommendations of flowering time are usually pretty accurate. Many people start counting the flowering period from the day they flip the lights to 12/12, but I do not. I wait the 7-10 days for the plants to actually convert to flowering mode, and I count the first day of flower as the day when I see the first pistils shoot out of the growth tips instead of new green growth. Using this method I am usually within 2 or 3 days of the "estimated" harvest date.
Sounds like a solid plan.....I'm a 1st time grower and I have 2 plants....both are suppose to be the super skunk strain but one looks sativa and the other appears to be super skunk( indica.)...they are right at a foot tall and looking healthy....I've been thinking about starting flowering after about 30 days...I know I'll get more harvest if I leave them in veg for longer but, I would like to smoke some this summer.,...should I flower after 30 days of veg or not? Thanks!

oftentimes it is not till the 5th week or so that our plants are mature enough to switch over. If/when you see pistils and/or alternating nodes, then the plant is mature enough to go into bloom. Put a young vegging plant into 12/12 lighting and it will simply stall out a bit due to the less hours of light, while dreaming it was mature enough to know what to do.

oftentimes it is not till the 5th week or so that our plants are mature enough to switch over. If/when you see pistils and/or alternating nodes, then the plant is mature enough to go into bloom. Put a young vegging plant into 12/12 lighting and it will simply stall out a bit due to the less hours of light, while dreaming it was mature enough to know what to do.
thanks for the info

There are lots of people who have done 12/12 from seed, myself included. If you don't believe me try a seed that way yourself.

There are lots of people who have done 12/12 from seed, myself included. If you don't believe me try a seed that way yourself.
Those lots of people will not be me. What a silly way to hold down a plant who wants to grow. Yes, it will work and the vegging plant will adapt to the less hours of light by becoming smaller than it would have normally, and as soon as it matures it will start flower.

Agree...tks!
Got another question if you don't mind, I'm on day 51 today since I started them....do you think they are ready to put into flowering stage....I',m not sure if my start time begins the day I transplanted them into my final pots or if my time begins when I transplanted them?

This is True !!! I don't get why people say it has to be mature enough. I never knew a thing about alternating leaves, etc. & done 6 grows not knowing it. I usually veg 4 - 6 weeks & flip. I just wait long enough to see my plants are 1/2 the size I want them at the end. Then flip to 12/12.
Take a look at my Soil, Photo's, Mars Hydro grow. Just the last 2-3 pages & you'll see what exactly 35 days veg has produced. I just harvested the 1st plant so you'll get a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom