What's wrong with this plant?

Hippie66

Hi everyone. This is my garden. Happy frog soil, mars hydro fc-e 4800, GDP and Gorilla Sherbet. I’ve been struggling wit this one plant on the from right for a while now and get her right. They all get fed the same thing from the same jug. PBP grow with cal mag added as well. The tent is full and ready to flower, but I will be keeping one of each as a mother. Anyone have any ideas on the girl at front right?

Here they are.

06BC6354-6157-48C0-8399-883144079CEB.jpeg

If I didn’t know differently, I’d agree. Again, gettin equal water and nutes to the other 4. It won’t bounce back. Has roots at the soil surface which is odd so I’ve been bottom feeding them in hopes of pulling the roots down. This plant has struggled from the beginning, but rebounded nicely until recently.

Clearly there is some difference because you are right, that plant doesn't look happy. Where did your soil come from, could it be the random element? I have seen several times where one bag of soil causes problems where the others did not.

I have also noticed that when bugs invade, its not always all the plants that first start reacting. Bugs tend to gather up strength in one spot before spreading to the entire area. I offer this as one possibility.

Your plant seems to be reacting at the root level. If you see any signs of gnats... suspect larvae have taken over that plant and drench accordingly. Aphids are another one that can sneak up on you from the soil.

Everything else being the same, this problem plant has to be getting influenced from an external source. Knowing that, may help you solve this mystery.

All good information, but the soil in that plant is from the same bag as the other G.S. I see no signs of gnats either, however I did have them on the last run. Tent was thoroughly cleaned and idle for 3 months between runs. The genetics are all Blimburn seeds and I have struggled with their seeds in the past. I won’t be using them again, but had seeds and I really liked that Gorilla Sherbet…could it possibly be rootbound???

All good information, but the soil in that plant is from the same bag as the other G.S. I see no signs of gnats either, however I did have them on the last run. Tent was thoroughly cleaned and idle for 3 months between runs. The genetics are all Blimburn seeds and I have struggled with their seeds in the past. I won’t be using them again, but had seeds and I really liked that Gorilla Sherbet…could it possibly be rootbound???
It could be, but then why that one and not the others? The seeds look like they did ok, its the roots that are complaining. New soil could always help though... its worth a try.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've got the same type issue, one plant out of 9, popped at the same time, same soil, same nutes, same lights, can't figure it out. 6 different strains. I finally repotted it in another batch of soil, root looked OK, but it's still struggling. Sometimes it's just not meant to be!
IMG_0413.jpg

The others (lower left corner is a volunteer that came up much later):
IMG_0412.jpg

Maybe check for stem rot. Sometimes stem rot isn't completely destructive, and the plant continues on, but could be crippled. Stem rot ruins essential nutrient flows in the stem, but if it doesn't completely "ring" the stem, the plant can survive. I had a couple plants in veg recently that did this – they just weren't doing very well. I ended up cloning the tops and chopping them. Here's one of those clones, pic from a couple weeks ago, Grape Ape in 7 gal....

grape_ape1-jpg.2666696

I have also noticed that when bugs invade, its not always all the plants that first start reacting. Bugs tend to gather up strength in one spot before spreading to the entire area. I offer this as one possibility.
Yes, it is very common for insects to go to the weakest plant in a grouping of otherwise healthy plants. I have read that these weaker plants do not produce the same enzymes or hormones and insects and it is believed that the insects can key in on the difference. And it is often mentioned that healthy plants have a natural resistance to problem insects.

Same with mildews or molds often being found first on the least healthy plant before spreading to the others.

Yup, I’ll probably take it out to make space for the rest.
Either remove and compost it or move it away from the others and try to save it. On occasion I have noticed that I will see possible problem causes only after I have taken a plant away from the group. While the plant is part of the group it is as if looking at all of them together is enough to keep me from being able to concentrate on what is really different about a slow growing or off color plant or otherwise problem plant.

If it was me, one of the first things after removing it from the group would be to check it over so as to be sure that the soil or media looks and feels "right"---as in does it feel the right weight as compared to the others and is it as moist or as dry as the others. Other things to do are to transplant it into fresh soil or media even if it is the same stuff from the same bag. Occasionally this wakes up roots and within a week a noticeable improvement will be seen in the plant vigor, usually starting with a return of a healthy green.

All part of the learning curve.

Well, I decided to remove that plant from the garden and put her on my partially shaded back porch for now. It’s been about a week and she actually looks better than when inside. I defoliated and did some lst on the GDP yesterday. Hoping to take a few cuttings from each this weekend then go to 12/12.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom