When to crop

Kvarrasso28

I was wondering if someone could help me out with some questions! When do I crop my new plant and how do you do it? :Namaste:
Thanks in advance, you all are awesome! Here’s a recent pic of Mabel

Attachments

• FA5F3444-14E2-40B5-BEF5-A86E62F9FE44.jpeg
    FA5F3444-14E2-40B5-BEF5-A86E62F9FE44.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 169
  • B1BF4A50-17C7-4CFF-8E32-DEA0A6432685.jpeg
    B1BF4A50-17C7-4CFF-8E32-DEA0A6432685.jpeg
    437.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 1DA7A464-BB0E-45EB-AB83-63C4973FBE9D.jpeg
    1DA7A464-BB0E-45EB-AB83-63C4973FBE9D.jpeg
    401.8 KB · Views: 173
Welcome! Your plant still looks to be really young. When to crop depends on many things, including what you mean by cropping. There is fimming, topping, super cropping, defoliating/lollipopping.

There is also different recommendations depending on if you are growing a photoperiod strain or an autoflower strain.

Some more information on your plants would be helpful for better advice.

Hi Purple Pot Person! Looking good! I'd say don't be too hasty on any topping, trimming or LST. I LST'd too early and now my big fat stems are like a inch from the soil, don't even go up past the edges of their pots (sadly not purple, but I did make some bags out of old bluejeans!). It doesn't hurt the plants but it is making for a big mess trying to train and clean them out later. The smart guys seem to say around 3rd or 5th node to top, but if you have room you might just leave it be and grow it in the Xmas tree style just to see how they grow naturally. I did clear out the unneeded undergrowth around a month into the grow and the plants seemed to really like it!

Welcome ! Looking good.

I'd wait till they're in their final pots before doing anything besides topping or fimming.

The pots they're in now are going to become too small real soon.

I know you're growing outdoors,so height won't be a problem,but if you
need to move them around much,3 gallon pots work well, (a lot lighter than 5 or 7 gallon) and will keep your plants 4' tall or less,at least that's been my experience.
There are different schools of thought on how and when to top or fim,so you need to do some reading to decide which way you want to go,if that's what you decide to do.
Good luck with your plants!

Or, did you mean tying them down, which is Low Stress Training(LST)?
Mabel is looking good, by the way.
I’m new to this so I’m not sure what I need to do!

Hi Purple Pot Person! Looking good! I'd say don't be too hasty on any topping, trimming or LST. I LST'd too early and now my big fat stems are like a inch from the soil, don't even go up past the edges of their pots (sadly not purple, but I did make some bags out of old bluejeans!). It doesn't hurt the plants but it is making for a big mess trying to train and clean them out later. The smart guys seem to say around 3rd or 5th node to top, but if you have room you might just leave it be and grow it in the Xmas tree style just to see how they grow naturally. I did clear out the unneeded undergrowth around a month into the grow and the plants seemed to really like it!
She’s at the 5th node, so from everything I read it said I can LST , what exactly did you use the jeans for?!!!

LST will give you more bud sites than topping-If you're the type that likes to fiddle with your plants,
then it might be for you-If,however,you are sort of a lazy grower (like me) topping and then letting them do their thing may be more to your liking.

LST will give you more bud sites than topping-If you're the type that likes to fiddle with your plants,
then it might be for you-If,however,you are sort of a lazy grower (like me) topping and then letting them do their thing may be more to your liking.
I actually FIMMEd it a couple of days ago so hopefully I have good results

Equipment Setup:
Veg. Outdoor
Lights: Natural sun
Medium: FoxFarm Ocean Forest Potting Soil
Nutrients: Fox Farm Liquid Nutrient Trio Soil Formula
Containers: 7gal. fabric pots.
Water: city

As a previous mistake maker, I would only say it would have been nice to have more height over the edge of the pot to the bottom of the canopy. I started too early too low and now it's more work to get underneath to trim and tuck and water.

And this is what I did with the blue jeans:

Now they look like this!

Looking good,@Pbass

Pretty cool-pots you can keep your wallet in...or gardening tools..or nothing....either way,they look cool!

Having LST'd for my grow so far, I can confirm that it can become a bit of a time commitment if you want to spread your bud sites out optimally. For me this works because I love spending time with my plants, but this does mean that time and motivation are permitting.

Welcome! Your plant still looks to be really young. When to crop depends on many things, including what you mean by cropping. There is fimming, topping, super cropping, defoliating/lollipopping.

There is also different recommendations depending on if you are growing a photoperiod strain or an autoflower strain.

Some more information on your plants would be helpful for better advice.
I don’t know what kind it is! It was a random seep that happened to grow! Is there any way to tell what kind it is??
Here’s some more information I can tell you
Outdoors/ natural sun
Fox Farm Ocean Forest Soil
PH 7.0
Fox Farm trio for nutrients

Instead of topping or anything like that with this being your first plant, let her grow for a few more weeks, then when she has a little bit of height and lower branches have started catching up then change your light schedule to 12/12 this will force the plant to flower, or in other terms start creating buds :).

At least if you learn the basics of how they grow ect first and you eventually get your first buds from then you can loo at training ect, but like as stated above it can be very time consuming for training plants, i myself have stopped, just straight trees from now on for me after 3 years of growing :).

Back
Top Bottom