Winter Is Coming! The Quest For The Iron Throne! A High Brix Quadline Breeding Project!

Here’s today’s haul!
T1000 S1 - this is the S1 of the T1000 cut of Old Family Purple.
FDF494DE-54FE-4E61-AC4C-DC45A3117150.jpeg

Snausages- this was a freebie. It is the Chem 91 crossed with OG kush. From CSI Humboldt.
D6072470-40F1-4BDD-8B87-3FB5A6BDCD41.jpeg

Next we have Pine Tar Kush. This was another freebie. This one is IBL. Christmas Bud? Maybe? @Pennywise
AB8D5322-4243-4D36-BD03-1C247A6B719D.jpeg

Deadpanhead’s Dubble Diesel and OG3. Both of these have some nice pics on his IG page. The OG3 were freebies. Glad I got those because I almost bought them anyway. Lol
BACEE712-D27D-4C53-9E09-1DDF2A4D8D2D.jpeg
53D90C2F-E506-4CC7-A89C-479B2AD21082.jpeg
You’ve got quite the lineup of fire genetics Magoo! Can’t wait to see what you do with them all!!!

I thought about following hawks advice and not topping these Pugsbreath but I decided to be a dumbass instead!.......:rofl: it is ok. I am a stick my finger in the light socket kinda guy myself....they might just be stalled for the next few weeks....good news is.....:passitleft: you get your OGKB merit badge when your done.

Preparing 1st Run Kit Soil!
So it was time to cook up another batch of soil. Thought I would share that process for anyone interested. When you order the kit it comes with a variety of dry amendments and a variety of drenches. To prepare a batch of soil you need about 20oz of 1st run amendment, 1 3.8 cubic foot bag of promix, and around 30lbs of earthworm castings. I went ahead and split the bulk bag of 1st run into 4 even amounts because it is enough to do 4 batches. Came out to a hair over 20oz each.

I spread out a tarp and dump the promix in the middle. I spread it out with a hoe and try to chop up any clumps I see. Once it’s spread out pretty good, I’ll spread the EWC as evenly as I can. Then I use the hoe to mix it all together by walking around the edge while continuously pushing and pulling the mixture towards and away from the middle. Make a couple rounds and it’s good and mixed. Then I add the 1st run amendment. There was wind today, so I got down real close to the soil mix because even the dust in the amendment is important. I didn’t want to lose any of it. Then another round or 2 of mixing.

Once all of those are well mixed, I add 3 gallons of water and mix again. Once that’s mixed well, I add 2 more and mix again. Seems like a lot of mixing, but it really doesn’t take long and you want it mixed evenly. Next I just load it into totes. I used 2 27gal totes today.

After I load it in the totes I take the shovel and kinda poke around in there just to break up any clumps that may have formed with my scooping. I check to make sure there is enough moisture. If it seemed dry then I would have added just a bit more water, but it was perfect. Nice and damp but not too wet. I could squeeze it into a clump, but when I drop it back into the soil it breaks right apart.

Then the totes go in the house where the soil “cooks” for a month before it will be ready to use. I may have enough of my other soil to handle the uppotting but I doubt it. So this way when the time comes I know I have all the soil I need! :thumb:

Preparing 1st Run Kit Soil!
So it was time to cook up another batch of soil. Thought I would share that process for anyone interested. When you order the kit it comes with a variety of dry amendments and a variety of drenches. To prepare a batch of soil you need about 20oz of 1st run amendment, 1 3.8 cubic foot bag of promix, and around 30lbs of earthworm castings. I went ahead and split the bulk bag of 1st run into 4 even amounts because it is enough to do 4 batches. Came out to a hair over 20oz each.

I spread out a tarp and dump the promix in the middle. I spread it out with a hoe and try to chop up any clumps I see. Once it’s spread out pretty good, I’ll spread the EWC as evenly as I can. Then I use the hoe to mix it all together by walking around the edge while continuously pushing and pulling the mixture towards and away from the middle. Make a couple rounds and it’s good and mixed. Then I add the 1st run amendment. There was wind today, so I got down real close to the soil mix because even the dust in the amendment is important. I didn’t want to lose any of it. Then another round or 2 of mixing.

Once all of those are well mixed, I add 3 gallons of water and mix again. Once that’s mixed well, I add 2 more and mix again. Seems like a lot of mixing, but it really doesn’t take long and you want it mixed evenly. Next I just load it into totes. I used 2 27gal totes today.

After I load it in the totes I take the shovel and kinda poke around in there just to break up any clumps that may have formed with my scooping. I check to make sure there is enough moisture. If it seemed dry then I would have added just a bit more water, but it was perfect. Nice and damp but not too wet. I could squeeze it into a clump, but when I drop it back into the soil it breaks right apart.

Then the totes go in the house where the soil “cooks” for a month before it will be ready to use. I may have enough of my other soil to handle the uppotting but I doubt it. So this way when the time comes I know I have all the soil I need! :thumb:

How do you leave it while it cooks? Open? Lid on?

Nice post Magoo! :D And super nice collection of seeds! :thumb:
Thanks Amy! Proud of my little collection but not sure when I’ll be able to grow them all! Lol

Solid, I figured as much so it doesn't dry out. You keep it closed the whole 30 days?
I probably will. All the biota should be good and active by then.

Day 16

House Tulley and half of House Baratheon got a new home today. The DTFs were really just continuing to show deficiencies in the soil they were in. It was great for them as seedlings but with more nodes present now they just weren’t happy with it. So they are in 1gal pots now with different soil. Cut the roots a bit with a razor blade and sprinkled some great white on the rootball and in the soil. Watered with some weak Foxfarm nute mixture. Hopefully they will be happy now for a bit! Will end up having to remove the lower leaves but hopefully they will be ok.

1 of the Stankberries got the upcan as well. The other is a little younger so she’s got a little longer to go.

Here are the other houses.
Stark- Pugsbreath
Lannister- BCO’s
The one on the left has signs of some trouble. Kinda weird since they are all the same age and in the same medium. They will get their first growth drench next. Hopefully they like it!
Greyjoy- ATF

Rumors continue to grow and spread across the kingdom. A long lost dynasty gaining strength in the shadows. The time draws near for their return. The return of the Dragon!

Day 17
House Stark- Black Cherry O’s
These girls and the Pugsbreath got their first Growth drenches and brix spray tonight. I’m concerned about BCO #3. The yellowing on her leaves with brown spots is not something I’m used to seeing with the kit. Could be because they are in such small containers but seems like either ph issues or calcium/magnesium deficiency. What do you guys think? Leaf is still green closer to stem. Just the lower leaves but starting to see some discoloring in the upper as well.

Is that 1st run soil they are in? How did you store it after mixing it, in 1 container or multiple? What were the avg. temps you cooked the soil in? Something is sure off. Doc doesn't recommend starting seeds in anything less than a 1 gallon pot but people do it all the time without issues. I would question the cook on the soil.
Yes it is first run soil. I stored it in 2 containers in my house so 70F plus or minus a few degrees. It’s been in the container since August probably. Should I do something to the rest of the soil in the container so that maybe it’s better when I upcan?

I'm not sure what to tell you to do at this point except let them dry out and do a rescue drench but we probably want Doc to chime in. I know people mix the initial kit and store in a couple of totes and I've done this too but I've always been concerned one container had more amendment than the other or the balance was off. I would have occasional issues in 1st run soil and that is all I could contribute it to. Since then I've always mixed 1st run soil and stored it in a garbage can big enough to hold the whole kit so I could eliminate an imbalanced cook. I haven't had any issues since doing this. Now 2nd and 3rd run soil I'll mix and store in totes. I recycle root balls so I might do 2 or 3 10 gallon root balls at a time and adjust the amount of amendment. The point is all the amendment stays in the container and doesn't get split after mixing.
You may want to post those pics on the Q&A thread for Doc to see before you take a recommendation that sets you back further.

I'm not sure what to tell you to do at this point except let them dry out and do a rescue drench but we probably want Doc to chime in. I know people mix the initial kit and store in a couple of totes and I've done this too but I've always been concerned one container had more amendment than the other or the balance was off. I would have occasional issues in 1st run soil and that is all I could contribute it to. Since then I've always mixed 1st run soil and stored it in a garbage can big enough to hold the whole kit so I could eliminate an imbalanced cook. I haven't had any issues since doing this. Now 2nd and 3rd run soil I'll mix and store in totes. I recycle root balls so I might do 2 or 3 10 gallon root balls at a time and adjust the amount of amendment. The point is all the amendment stays in the container and doesn't get split after mixing.
You may want to post those pics on the Q&A thread for Doc to see before you take a recommendation that sets you back further.
Will do. I’ve grown a couple plants out of this tote successfully. Is it possible for areas within the tote to not cook as well as others? I always mix it up real good before I put it in the pot, but just wondering if since it’s such a small amount in this cup if possibly I just got it from a “bad” spot in the container?

Could it be something more simple like a "calcium deficiency" or "not enough room for the roots"?

Could it be something more simple like a "calcium deficiency" or "not enough room for the roots"?
I was thinking calcium as well. But it would all go back to the cooked soil. We put a large amount of calcium in the soil in the beginning. But with the small pot maybe there’s not enough room, like you said, for everything to work the way it’s supposed to. For some reason maybe the biota and the roots aren’t clicking right now. The rescue drench Neiko mentioned may do the trick. I may go ahead and upcan her and give her some fresh soil to work with. When I do I may mix the drench a little closer to the strength of the rescue drench. Does that sound ok, brixers?

Back
Top Bottom