Woodsman's Northern Light #5 Grow

Update - Flower Day 35 (5 weeks)

It's been a few days since the last update. Fatleaf seems to be doing alright since I took her outside a few days ago and gave her a shot of nitrogen to stop the premature yellowing of her leaves. That seems to have worked for her, but I've noticed that Big Girl is also having some similar issues. Not sure if it is a deficiency or a lock out? It's not that there is massive yellowing, just a couple leaves here and there. What concerns me is that these yellowing leaves are not necessarily 'in the dark' under the canopy. I'll be watching closely.

Alright so yesterday I did an all around nute feed. Fatleaf was included, though with a lighter dose than the others. #4 and Big Girl received a half strength dose of FFTB, a 1/4 dose of fish emulsion (for nitrogen) and a teaspoon (per gal) of Cal/Mag (thanks to the great generosity of fellow grower and friend,ChicagoJoe). Also thanks to Joe, I was able to check the pH of both the nutes and the run off with the pH test kit that he also was kind enough to give me! My run off after feeding was between 6.8 and 6.9 after adjusting my nutes with the help of very small doses of lime. Big time Kudos to ChicagoJoe! Joe drove an hour to and an hour back from his home to our meeting (only about a half hour from my place). Making the trip with me were a few NL#5 cuttings . They seemed to enjoy the trip and if all goes well, will enjoy their new life! On my return trip I had the pleasure of having some delightful company in the form of Ms. Chem Dog. She was delighted to accompany me on a stroll around WallyMart where I lost track of time and many other senses!

The Buds on Fatleaf and Big Girl are starting to take shape and are just starting to experiencing some trichome development. Plant #4 is a little behind, but is actually doing quite well.

Here's some photos from earlier today (by the way, Fatleaf is now on the right side of the tent and #4 is on the left)

Fatleaf
Fatleaf_b.JPG

Fatleaf
Fatleaf_a.JPG

Group
Group43.JPG

Plant #4's main cola
Main_cola_4.JPG

Secondary cola from Big Girl
Secondary_cola_from_Big_Girl.JPG

Trichomes starting to form
DSCF002311.JPG

DSCF00199.JPG

DSCF001210.JPG

Fatleaf's main cola
DSCF000626.JPG

Big Girl's main cola
Big_Girl_main_cola.JPG

hey woods stopped by to check on fat leaf,hows she doing after the fish juice? looking forward to the pictures:goodluck:

Howdy Hypo, as you can see by the photos, she seems to be doing OK. No more yellowing has occurred since I gave here a shot of Fish emulsion a few days ago. Big Girl seems to inherited some of the same though and hopefully with the addition of some fish emulsion today she will also 'calm down'!

Glad to see that your girls are pretty much recovered from their little romp on the 'wild side'! Good Job my friend!:thumb:

looking good Woodsman. I bet the extra nutes will give your babies a nice boost!!!!
Keep up the good work.:yahoo::yummy::thumb:

Hello Jason, Well looking at the girls, they sure need something, don't they? I think that there are at least couple of issues, some apparent and others less so in the pics. First off I think it's too early to have the leaves turning yellow. If they were all deep under the canopy and were in the dark, yes, naturally, but although they are mostly lower canopy leaves, the canopy is only 4 to 6 inches deep. At 5 weeks on a 8 to 9 weeks strain? Too early I think. One note about the yellow leaves is that they all seem to be leaves from secondary shoots and not the main stem. Next apparent issue is the leaf tips, many burnt tips are seen in the photos. Remind me what this is? Over feeding? Kind of busy right this moment so I'm not going to search on it yet. later.

Would the Cal/ Mag help with any of these potential problems? Or If I'm over feeding did I just go off the edge!

Be back in a bit!

...headband has some chemdog influences so I'm thinking it's going to be a winner....
In reading about the Chem dog, Headband was mentioned quite a bit. Don't remember off hand what the relationship was (short term memory loss). I've never seen that many trichs on a bud before....

I agree, there are a lot of trics on those chemdog buds. The story behind the chemdog, sour diesel, headband strains is pretty cool. Look it up sometime. I'm pretty sure chemdog is the moniker of the original grower of the origin of this strain. All those are winners in my book.

...and I did use the pH kit (extensively) and some Cal/Mag yesterday with the all around nute feed.

I like to use a straw to get water from my gallon to the test tube. Because filling a test tube to 5ml from a gallon container is too difficult. LOL

I'll post an update later today with pics information
The pics look fabulous, what's the secret, mine never capture the trics.

Did they survive the road trip?

(I think this was the 1 thing we were not supposed to mention as far as the 'rules' go)

So hypothetically speaking ::: Yes. A responsible grower would place them in an environment to recover from their stressful journey. They would have a long recovery ahead as they would have been abruptly removed from their flowering moms and placed in a cold dark box.

If I were to have them, I would have:
awakened them, gave them a fresh cut with a sterilized blade and quick dip over their open wounds. 2 would have been placed in jiffy pots, 2 in the bubbler with ph'ed water and super thrive for them all. They would be under some flouros in an uncovered fish tank. Temps and humidity would look good. Since none of my other attempts to root clones were successful, I would have tried 2 diff approaches. I would keep my fingers crossed and ask everyone else to send a little root grow love this way.

I agree, there are a lot of trics on those chemdog buds. The story behind the chemdog, sour diesel, headband strains is pretty cool. Look it up sometime. I'm pretty sure chemdog is the moniker of the original grower of the origin of this strain. All those are winners in my book.

I like to use a straw to get water from my gallon to the test tube. Because filling a test tube to 5ml from a gallon container is too difficult. LOL

The pics look fabulous, what's the secret, mine never capture the trics.

(I think this was the 1 thing we were not supposed to mention as far as the 'rules' go)

So hypothetically speaking ::: Yes. A responsible grower would place them in an environment to recover from their stressful journey. They would have a long recovery ahead as they would have been abruptly removed from their flowering moms and placed in a cold dark box.

awakened them, gave them a fresh cut with a sterilized blade and quick dip over their open wounds. 2 would have been placed in jiffy pots, 2 in the bubbler with ph'ed water and super thrive for them all. They would be under some flouros in an uncovered fish tank. Temps and humidity would look good. Since none of my other attempts to root clones were successful, I would have tried 2 diff approaches. I would keep my fingers crossed and ask everyone else to send a little root grow love this way.

Hypothetically of course! I would be sending a lot of grow vibes to that person, that is if he had them.

LOL, about filling the test tube! I must have checked the pH about a dozen times yesterday and I was scooping the run off up by laying the tube horizontally on the bottom of the 'Rubbermaid' tub that I water over. That was ok but I was pouring the water from the nute jugs directly into the tube! Thanks for the straw suggestion. I'm sure it is much easier and cleaner! Thanks buddy! and tell your wife that the cherry and lime (tasted like key lime and I love that) cupcakes were awesome. We both devoured them late last night for a snack.

Hypothetically of course! I would be sending a lot of grow vibes to that person, that is if he had them.

LOL, about filling the test tube! I must have checked the pH about a dozen times yesterday and I was scooping the run off up by laying the tube horizontally on the bottom of the 'Rubbermaid' tub that I water over. That was ok but I was pouring the water from the nute jugs directly into the tube! Thanks for the straw suggestion. I'm sure it is much easier and cleaner! Thanks buddy! and tell your wife that the cherry and lime (tasted like key lime and I love that) cupcakes were awesome. We both devoured them late last night for a snack.

The straw thing I remembered from botony class in H.S. (thanks Mr Keating, I bet you grow big buds, shaka bra), it really helps.

After dozen times or so you will get used to holding it in the light just right next to the indicator card for a good match.

I have to agree that the cupcakes were great. They were some of the best she's made. Well, she has made fancier ones, but none better tasting. The green ones are my fav, gotta love that key lime green. LOL

good luck my friend.

:bravo: Great Job hookin up Woods with a PH kit, Chicago! He needed it.

Those tips look a bit burned bro, not sure I would do anything drastic though.

:peace:

Looking good Woods!!! :grinjoint:

Hey Brother, you've had some good days :cheer:

Good for you. ChemDog sounds good and it is the name of the originator of the strain..lots of history.

Setting Sun has said if you have just a little a nute burn on the very tip of a leaf, then your nutes are just right. The other yellowing across the leaf, I have no idea about. Something is not right, but doesn't seem to be hurting your girls. :cheer:

Or even a syringe which might be a good idea, I know you can get those with ml measurements too

:thumb:

syringes show increments in CC's. a CC is equal to a ML. :grinjoint:

Woodsman, I wouldn't worry about that tipburn. it is VERY minor. I've seen 'PRO's' do worse. Personally I would think that the fish emulsion (which is high in nitrogen) and Calmag (also with nitrogen, and many Micronutrients) should do wonders to help the leaf drop, and increase your yield, but with the flourescent light canopy penetration is very low, and your plants know that, and may jst be thinking "Abort! Abort!" and ditching the less usefull leaves under the canopy. Probably a combination. Also, for more Trichome production you can add Honey for great results. You may want to ask around with some of these other guys about ratios and compatibiliity with soil, but I know that Honey in fact has more useable sugars for plants than Molassus. (Spell that 3 times fast.) Most people have it in the kitchen and dont even know about that.

These are just my opinions mind you, but I wouldn't steer you off a cliff.:reading420magazine::rollit:

Joe Coffee and Chicago Joe are pretty damn close. I'm getting them mixed up right now. Hey, Woods, I told you awhile back (there's a lot of posts so I don't feel bad you don't remember) that I was growing headband. From what I hear, headband has some chemdog influences so I'm thinking it's going to be a winner. I've got a couple headband buds from a buddy of mine and it may be some of the best I've ever tasted. I smoked out on a bowl last Sunday and watched that new series "Life" on Discovery in HD. Needless to say, nature was extremely intense. I'm thinking about having a repeat tonight. Lol. Have a good one, brother. We're all ready for some updates.
hey man that headband is OG Kush/ sour diesel recrossed with a chem dawg or chemo male;)delicious strain i love it a buddy grows this one as a house strain and i can't get enough the high does me so right:rollit:

uh oh 420 collaborations in our head hope you guys had a good time;) i'm dreaming of giant roots on the mentioned theoretical plants CJ:bravo:on the ph kit for woodsy to what a kind gesture:cheer:oh and i love the background on chem dawg/ sour d/ and head band, originated in montana sold in colorado since the late 70's right after peonia budz started comin out, and then claimed by the east coast after chem dawg was back crossed with a landrace mexican sativa to make sour diesel, and now on to head band a mixture of the two to make a great family line up of some dank nugs haha
good growin to woodsy fat leaf and the rest of the girls are lookin muy bueno amigo:peace:

Canna Bible 3,and 2

colorado indica known as cem/dawg...two friends met at a dead tour '91 in colorado, had a lb containing 12 seeds, they were grown...from there it went to mass....the linage is still a total mystery...they figure since the guy who grew it in col. only grew it,c/d, it was a chem dog male or hermie...that fathered the seeds...from those seeds another good friend was met on a Phish tour, and the clones of cd were passed on...the new grower from ny city didnt like the name cd so he started calling it diesel...this is the diesel that some of us are lucky enough to know and love...a couple of years later a super skunk x sensi no. lights was crossed with the newly named diesel and thus created headband...daywrecker, and diesel no. 1..soon after a hermie mass. super skunk pollinated the diesel and from the seeds it created, sour diesel was born...then there's og kush which is a sister to sour diesel...this info is from no. 3 cannabible...chem dog is named that because it prefers chem ferts to organic, and will not grow good with organics, the organic chem dog was modified and is called dawg...which is what you want to grow with organics..
books by jason king...also plain chem can be grown with organics...the dawg, tastes great and is good in every other way, but not as strong as the chem dog,:rollit:

hope this helps....lavendar:reading420magazine::cheer:

... Calmag (also with nitrogen, and many Micronutrients) ...

No nitrogen or any micronutrients in the CaMg+
Code:
[B]General Organics®  CaMg+®[/B]

Calcium Magnesium Supplement

CaMg+ is the ideal supplement to provide a natural source of Calcium and
 Magnesium, critical elements in a plants growth cycle. These elements are
 often absent in many fertilizers and potting mixes, resulting in stunted
 growth. CaMg+ is a blend of fermented calcium and magnesium complexed
 with organic acids and sugar chelates. CaMg+ is biologically catalyzed from
 oyster shell, dolomite lime, and natural plant extracts.

Through the use of organic compounds, CaMg+ increases calcium and 
magnesium transport into the plants. This optimizes plant metabolism,
 enhancing growth and creating healthier flowers and fruits.

CaMg+ Calcium Magnesium Supplement is derived from: Calcium Carbonate,
 Magnesium Carbonate, and molasses.

CaMg+ is available in 32 ounce and 1 gallon bottles. Use between 1/2 and 1
 teaspoon per quart of water.

Thanks for all the root wishes. And the info on chemdog. That stuff leaves trics in my dish for me to savor later.

Back
Top Bottom