WW Autos Super Hempy - LED - HPS - Miracle Grow Experiment

My idea didn't work, but I figured out what it is. Algea growth in the pour design of a pot. I will show pictures. The idea of the bottom feeding pot seemed cool, but I have no idea why I didn't think about the algea growth. Pure water, no medium in 4 little parts at the bottom that is nearly impossible to take apart and clean, duh.

Will not be using these pots anymore. My other plants in regular pots are doing great.

Maybe a hydro guy can help?

So now auto 2 is hydro dwc with 4 air stones and beefy pumps. Like a Witches culdron in there.

Problem: I cleaned the algea off. That took a while. I used proxide and water, 1 tsp per gallon. After cleaned, I let it sit with air on in a 230 ppm vf-11 and peroxide 3% store stuff.

Then, today, I change the res because the ph went to 8.0 or almost. I bought a good PH machine. I set the res to 5.5, with 230ppm, vf-11, 2ml per gallon (in 4 gallons of water) of 29% peroxide, plus recommended does for hydro of hygrozyme, and ph down to reach 5.5. I kept it simple. Roots are no longer slimy, although they never were very slimy to begin with. Nothing is slimy now. Water is clean and clear. HOWEVER WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2-3 hours later the ph was 6.5 and the ppm 330. Algea is no longer visible or feelable, nothing slippery at all. Water is clear as water can be. What in the hell can still be making the ppms and ph raise so fast?

Here is the pot they were in with the cap on the bottom. You can see how easily once roots grow down into those 4 patches of water, no medium, algea would grow.

april6roots2.jpg

bottom9.jpg

april6-autos.jpg

Auto 1, on the right, is now in a hempy, but with an air hose in the res.

Auto 2 is DWC with 4 air stones. Foil to keep light out.

What a shitty couple of days.

My Ph meter broke so I had to buy a new one. It was $74 bucks at the hydro shop. Said the same brand usually lasts him 2 years.

So, I get to business, flushing plants, which I have finished. I flushed until all PH was 5.5 just like I put in. I flushed with 2mL per gallon peroxide 28%, florakleen. I flushed until ppms were the same as I put in, 45ppm. Then my damn tds meter broke. WTF?

The Gonga gods hate me, or maybe just the auto ones.

Because I have good experience with the GH, and other products I use, I have a good idea where the final ppms are in the res I ended up putting in the now DWC auto 2. About 400ppm.

I used GH 2mL grow 2mL micro 3mL bloom, hydrogen peroxide 2mL per gallon, 10mL of hygrozyme for 2.5 gallons (that is how many gallons are in the 5 gallon bucket because the pot extend down far), a tad of sweet, drip clean, and a tad of general organics calmag. I am trying that out now instead of the GH calmag+

I ph'd to 5.5

I think a PH meter is way more important than a ppm meter, but, I need another one right away because I need to know if the ppms are dropping after a day. If not, something is still terribly wrong. Well, if they don't drop after a few days, and especially if they rise.

This leaves me with the least expensive one at the hydro shop $80. Damn it. Maybe they will have tds test strips. I can just use those until a ppm meter arives in the mail.

Anyway, I will see if the ph remained somewhat stable. I will be happy if it only moves to 6.0

Okay, just checked Ph. 6.6. Not bad, especially because I had to use vinager as I was out of ph down and lemon. Lemon raises faster than Ph down too. 1 point over night. 1 point in 9 hours isn't too bad, and it didn't rise that high. Shit, before it was blasting to 8 and in like 3 hours, so I must have fixed something.

Unfortunately, I have no way to test if they ate any nutes. Have to get a ppm meter to do that.

Okay, so ppms do seem to be dropping a bit. PH is still rising faster than I like, and I am back to using ph down. I'm too lazy and drank too much wine to care to check tonight, so I will see tomorrow.

So 17 hours ago ppms were 250 and now they were 260.
Maybe they aren't moving because of the small amount of
Nutes in perlite.

Ph was 7.5

I added a half gallon of water as it did drink that
Nutes to 360.

Ph to 5.1. Will give me some time before I have to check it again

Weird, my other post keeps giving me an error and not letting me post.

5 point 2 is actually fine. It probably aleady rose to 5 point 5 or higher. I will check. I made it that low knowing it would rise. If they don't eat while it is rising between 5 point 5 and 6point 5 then something is wrong with the roots or they are getting nutes from the perlite.

I hope the roots are okay. They seem to be getting more brown, despite the hydrogen peroxide, yet not slimy at all anymore ever since I fixed that. Maybe the hygrozyme is dying them, as it does make the water yellowish brown, like a light tea.

Ph had made it to 5.3

I needed to add more water and peroxide because i added more water, to be sure the water touches the bottom of the pot inside the bucket, otherwise it starts to grow algea. The bottom is fully suberged now.

I didn't feel like adding more nutes so nutes are 260 at 5.5 ph now. It is 4pm. << just notes for me to check later.

Day 52of 75 day auto stain

Pic update. They aren't that peppy because lights have been out a while. When lights are one, they pray.

Despite everything with the now DWC auto 2, she looks okay. I haven't seen any new leaves turning yellow.

Here is auto 2, the dwc one.

april7-a2.jpg

A photo of auto 1. She has remained really green, but for the few leaf tips that got burned when I fed her 700 for a little while.

april7-a1.jpg

Here is a bud shot of auto1

april7-bud.jpg

yep ..roots will absorb color from what you have in your water..i always started with wht roots and ended with light brown..thats ok..can't figger out where the hydro growers are..its funny they haven't weighed in with comments..where you at guys..need some help..i'm still learning hydro..HELP...:oops:...:helpsmilie:..thats better...

Back
Top Bottom