Beavis' 1st Grow - Hi Brix Soil - Huckleberry Kush - PS500

Beavis

Hello to 420 Mag and all the wonderful people here! :welcome:

I am getting started on my first grow and boy am I excited! Got my hi brix kit from Doc Bud a couple months ago then popped a few beans so I figured I'd get started with my first grow journal. Wooohooo.

Warning: I'm a total and complete noob. I have been reading threads and info for several months in preparation for this so I'm raring to go and ready to get after it!

What we done got? Well here's the rundown:

What strain is it? Dynasty Genetics Huckleberry Kush v3
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Indica dominant
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg
If in Veg... For how long? Seedlings are 10 days old.
If in Flower stage... For how long?
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Doc Bud's Hi Brix soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Ask Doc
If soil... What size pot? Seedlings in 1G RootPouch cloth pots
Size of light? Perfect Sun 500 LED
Is it aircooled? No
Temp of Room/cab? 79-81 Lights on and 66-70 Lights off.
RH of Room/cab? 50-60% lights on and 40-60% lights off (still dialing it in)
PH of media or res? n/a
Any Pests ? none that I know of
How often are you watering? when pots are light. recently weighed pots so I can be more precise.
Type and strength of ferts used? Doc's kit.

Before I get started on this journey with you I have to express my profound appreciation towards several members of the community. I have hammered you with questions via PM's and everyone has been so patient and helpful with me. :thanks: I wouldn't be able to get this started without your assistance. I won't name names but you know who you are. Thank you, I'm eternally grateful!

I want to grow my own for several reasons. My main goal isn't quantity but to produce the best quality meds I can for my personal use. I'm not interested in quantity.

On this first grow I am started very small. I am going to focus on 1 plant in a 10G pot in my small 2'x 2.5' x 6' Gorilla Grow tent. I have a 4" inline Ostberg fan paired with a Can33filter. On the intake i have a 6" duct and 6" Phresh intake filter. Hoping I'll be set on air quality and smell.

I'll be using Doc's kit and what can I say. I'm blown away reading the grow journals with Doc's kit and looking at the amazing flowers it can produce. Needless to say, I'm PUMPED! So, I'm grovelling before the alter of the Hi Brix gods and hope they give my garden their blessings. :Namaste:

Now for the good stuff....I'll be growing Dynasty Genetic's Huckleberry Kush. I've seen it in a few journals and have been doing backflips thinking of what could be...not to mention ShiggityFlip twisting my arm and gently nudging me in that direction. I FULLY intended on growing Fems on my first run just to simplify things but Shigs got me running down the Huck Kush rathole so here I am. lol I'll definitely need help sexing these.

Really hoping for Phenos 1 or 3.

The strain and phenos:

IMG_46227.JPG

**Pic from ShiggityFlip and his incredible garden here: ShiggityFlip Starts The Hunger Games - Huckleberry Kush - Agent Orange & Mad Hatter

Strain Name: Huckleberry Kush V3

Brand: Dyansty Genetics

Landrace,F1,F2, Selfed,Polyhybrid etc

Stable F1
Lineage: Oregon Afghani x Huckleberry 2014

Parental Information

Mom- The mother of this strain is an Oregon Afghanai clone that's been around since the early 80s... Pure Kush in appearance and smell, but the Oregon Afghani has been around well before the "kush" label became predominant in the cannabis scene. High Cbds make this strain very useful for medical users..

Dad- The father is a select male chosen out of the Huckleberry 2014 gene pool. The huckleberry 2014 is basically a huckleberry backcross, using an old Dj short's BB clone in the mix. Huckleberry 2012=huckleberry 2011/(Dj short BBxHuckleberry 2007... This line has show great medicinal value and a fast maturation period. This same father has been used in the crater lake V5 and more..

Indica/Sativa % Indica Dominant

Feminized Seeds? No

Bloom Length: 8-9 week

# of Phenotypes?

3 main phenos

Describe each phenotype expression:

**Huckleberry Kush is another potent medical masterpiece!! After 4 years of work put into this line, we are happy to introduce the Huckleberry Kush Version-3. By far the smelliest and our favorite of all the versions.

Pheno#1 (30%) is leaning more towards Huckleberry and will display a "whiter" appearance.. Hairs will tend to be more spindly on this pheno.. a bit more sweet/sour huckleberry smell/taste than the others.

Pheno #2 (40%) 50/50 between both parents. Good yield, great sweet/sour smells and lots of trichomes makes this an easy choice for a keeper.

Pheno#3 (30%) is leaning towards the Oregon Afghani but is still dominated by the father... The tops will be a bit more "blunt" and the hairs will be standing on end in straight lines... a bit more earthy kush smell/taste but the huckleberry essence cuts thru in almost every plant..

All other phenos observed were slight variations of the above descriptions.

Expect the following throughout the gene pool;

**White Strain.. covered with trichs, makes it great for hash
**High THC and decent CBD...functional medicine with great pain relief
**Kush "pole plant" structure, minimal branching
**Easy to grow, plants can handle fair amount of stress without harm
**Dense buds, harvest on time or beware of mould!!
**8 week bloom time
**Good for Sog...but not as good for scrog though

Expect these slight variations;
**Smell/taste...... more/less huckleberry/kush depending on pheno
**Stretch ...... between .75-1.25x
**yield ....... some buds will grow "outward" more = more yield
**Veg time... slightly longer veg time required on some plants

Stretch: .5-1.25

Resin Profile: Copious Resin

Odour Score: 8

Odour Description: sour berries, lavender, coffee, hash oil

Flavour Score: 9

Flavour Description: sweet/sour berry, coffee/hash

Potency Score: 9

High Type: initial cerebral, deep body stone..

Seedlings are about 10 days in..first 3 leaf set just starting to grow out so not much to see yet. My initial focus has been getting my environment (temps and RH) dialed in. (See Doc I have been paying attention!! :rofl:). Things seem to be coming along pretty good!

Welcome everyone...I am super excited to take this journey with you!

I'll be here to follow along with ya here. Dynasty genetics are awesome from what I saw in the kit, so we had to drop 5 of them. Didn't see how many you have but saw you are finishing with one. If you need help sexing, there are plenty of us here to help ya, same goes for the kit.

:thumb:

Thanks guys I'm excited!

Pots feel light and the plants are starting to droop just a tad. I'm taking Doc's wet/dry instructions to heart so I'll wait until tomorrow to water them.

Nismo, just today I realized you were growing Dynasty so I bookmarked your thread with the intent to study up! I'll be vising your garden tonight! :high-five:

I popped 2 seeds then decided to pop another two a week later. Just for the heck of it I popped one more after that lol So I have 5 going at varying stages from few days old to 10/11 days. I kept popping seeds in a semi desperation move to get some fems lol. I was all set to go with HSO Blue Dream fems when I saw Shiggity's Huck Kush Hunger Games grow :adore: so I thought I'd roll the dice and give regulars a shot.

My hope is that I get at least one fem out of this bunch and if I'm really lucky maybe some different phenos I can pick from. I'll pick one and that will be THE ONE to rule them all...and whack the others. :rofl:

Subbed up Beavis, love those strains brother. Have a good one :passitleft:

Man I'm right there with you. As a noob, one thing I appreciated is Professor P putting detailed descriptions of all his strains on his website including pheno information. I read these whacky strain names with no descriptions from other breeders and have no idea what it is. I wish more breeders would include better descriptive information.

Question for y'all (semi related to above):
When did the "cookie" craze start in breeding? Maybe it's always been there but I've never noticed. What exactly is the "cookie" descriptor? Is it talking about massive trichome buildup, does it taste or smell like a cookie....what gives? When did the cookie stuff start getting breeded in and what for? I see these cookie strain names and don't know what makes em cookie. lol

Man I'm right there with you. As a noob, one thing I appreciated is Professor P putting detailed descriptions of all his strains on his website including pheno information. I read these whacky strain names with no descriptions from other breeders and have no idea what it is. I wish more breeders would include better descriptive information.

Question for y'all (semi related to above):
When did the "cookie" craze start in breeding? Maybe it's always been there but I've never noticed. What exactly is the "cookie" descriptor? Is it talking about massive trichome buildup, does it taste or smell like a cookie....what gives? When did the cookie stuff start getting breeded in and what for? I see these cookie strain names and don't know what makes em cookie. lol
I agree with the way dynasty describes their strains. Love the fact that he broke it down into possible phenos. Now we know what to look for and once we find it, what we can expect.

As for the cookie portion, I'm not sure but the white cookies we grew was super frosty. I mean just covered with trichomes. It had a very sweet smell to it also.

420-magazine-mobile431173420.jpg

Yeah I'm not sure either. There didn't used to be cookie strains. Some plant was brought onto the breeding scene to start the craze....guarantee the 420 braintrust knows.

One of the products I am using is a digital timer from Titan Controls. It's the Apollo 9. I was using the Heavy Duty Intermatic with the pins but this is much more precise being a digital timer.

Pretty much set it and forget it. It also has a battery powered feature in case of loss of power. I dig it! Bout to water 2 initial/oldest plants tonight at lights on.

734105_Apollo9-InUse.jpg

Hey all you party people! Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. :ganjamon:

I always love this time of year....football playoffs! Well actually it's bittersweet. I love watching the games but also know the season and football is about to be over and I enter a dark period of depression for 9 months until football starts again the next September. Just kidding....sorta....well ok not really. lol

Sure thankful for Doc's kit...makes things easy and rather boring. Hurry up and grow already plants!! It's like watching paint dry. But alas....good things come with time and patience so patient I will be.

Plants are still pretty small so not much to show but thought I'd post a few shots of the young babes. The two biggest are the same age, the smaller one is about a week younger. I have another that I planted after that that is even smaller and not worth a pic yet but it seems to be coming along well. Of the two new seeds I planted only 1 sprouted so I have 4 going at varying ages. Again the goal is to (hopefully) select one female and grow that one plant.

Plant 1: This plant was the first to sprout from soil. It's leaves are more wide and the plant seems to be more squat and low growing
IMG_61196.JPG

Plant 2: This plant was the 2nd to sprout from soil. It was originally kinda scraggly but has really come on. It's is a faster grower than Plant 1...taller and the leaves are thinner and longer. Plant 1 leaves are wider and not as long. Overall Plant 2 is taller than Plant 1.

IMG_611312.JPG

Plant 2 again:
IMG_61147.JPG

Baby plant 3:
IMG_61167.JPG

They all seem to be doing well to me but I'll defer to the expert Brix gang on that!

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Peaked in on the plants this morning and they are really starting to grow fast....especially since the water with transplant and tea a couple of days ago. I've read here on 420 Mag about plants reaching and praying to the lights and that's what mine are doing so hopefully they are happy!

About 2 weeks for the seedlings. I'll start trying to sex the older 2 plants in a week or so.

Been pretty happy with environment (temps and humidity) lately.

Subbing in!

Sure thankful for Doc's kit...makes things easy and rather boring. Hurry up and grow already plants!! It's like watching paint dry. But alas....good things come with time and patience so patient I will be.

I'm on my first kit grow. Wish I had started with Doc's kit. I'm running clones of my prior non-kit grow and it's like growing completely different plants.

As for watching paint dry, even oil paint dries faster than seedlings grow! :laughtwo: It won't be boring for long, though.
Happy growing!

How do you plan to do your sexing? They won't be big enough to clone.

Shigs recommended a cheapy 60x LED loupe that I purchased. So with that along with the boards help, I hope to be able to ID these plants.

I know it's probably a mistake but I'm not going to start cloning yet. Just going to start fresh and grow from seed. Don't have room for 2 tents right now but hope to move to cloning in the future!

Subbing in!

I'm on my first kit grow. Wish I had started with Doc's kit. I'm running clones of my prior non-kit grow and it's like growing completely different plants.

As for watching paint dry, even oil paint dries faster than seedlings grow! :laughtwo: It won't be boring for long, though.
Happy growing!

I really love the kit Kingston. It gives me confidence and I think I can wrap my arms around it. Plus I'm just a soil/dirt/organic guy so it just fits me.

You are kidding about things changing. I have my first set of 5 finger leaves coming out and the growth seems to be picking up!

Plants are really growing fast now! Well at least faster. LOL :laughtwo:

Not much going on in the garden...just a few weeds growin

IMG_61248.JPG

IMG_612510.JPG

IMG_61267.JPG

IMG_612712.JPG

Looks like the next set of leaves have 7 fingers. I'll be starting with GE and foliar feedings at next watering which will be in a few more days before we fully dry out.

Looking nice and healthy there beavis. Looking like they are about ready to lose their heads for a topping. :thumb:

Why thank you Nismo...I'm so excited I can't contain myself. Let me say that your suggestions and tips are welcomed and VERY much appreciated! I'm kinda wingin it here. lol

You must have ESPN. :laughtwo: I have been pouring all over my notes regarding topping for the past 2 days in preparation for the big event! Really pumped to top and give the first GE drench and start foliar spraying....oh yeah!

Gotta run but will post more on the Big Topping Event a little later.

Question: When Doc says top after 5 sets of leaves thats the same as 5 nodes right? Basically 5 pairs of leafs?

He's not talking about individual leafs with 5 fingers or blades right?

I get confused as I also read:

That's the main thing I'm trying to say. If you aren't leaving behind mature tissue----by which I mean 5 or more bladed leaves and no even numbered leaves----you'll have a clean growth pattern. Otherwise, buds will have weird structure, poor yield, etc.

So technically I am waiting for 5 nodes with well developed branches before I top. This also means that I would be cutting off the less mature 3 or 4 nodes that are now above node 5. Cut off that top, take some clones, and if I need to, train the lower branches that are now at canopy height. Regardless, this would be for a much more mature plant with more 5 bladed leaves.

and also:
When the seedling sprouts and begins to grow, it'll start with single leaf set, then 3 leaf sets, then 5 leaf sets. You don't want to top her until you have "true" 5 leaf sets. For seedlings I top above the 2nd set of 5 leaf sets.

So just a little confusion on exactly when to top. Consensus seems to make sure there are at least 1 set of 5 bladed leaves (top above that) and above the 5th pair/set of leaves.

Back
Top Bottom