Karl's Northern Lights Grow - First Grow - CFL - LST

karlpessar

:welcome:
This is my first grow so all help or comments are appreciated. Don't be a stranger.
I've been thinking of growing for some time and now i have the opportunity to do it.

SETUP

Lights:
3x 30w 2700K CFL
5x 30w 6500K CFL

Grow box:
BASE: 70*90 cm or 28,6'' * 35,4''
HEIGHT: 90 cm or 35,4''

White thick paper as reflective walls (the kind you put on the floor for protection when painting) attached to a wood frame.

Medium:

Soil. I'm from Europe so i don't think you'll know what kind it is even if I tell the name but it is probably the best soil around. I've been told I don't need to add anything so no perlite or things like that. Pure soil.

Pots:
Right now my two seedlings are in 0,659 liter round pots so about 40 cubic inches. I'm sitting on 8 liter=2,11 gal pots that I first thought would do but I'm thinking of getting some bigger ones. I'll be vegging for maybe 5 weeks, will the ones I have now do?

Ventilation:

3x 8 cm=3,15'' "PC-fans". Two as exhaust and one for blowing on lights and plants. Passive intake.

SEEDS

Two feminised Nirvana Northern Lights seeds. Indica dominant. I picked this strain because it's not supposed to smell that much and from what I heard, it's a good beginners strain with good yields and high THC concentrations.

With 4 lights running the temperature is 26 C=79 F in the box with 23 C= 73F in the room. However we have really dry winters where I live, it's only 20% rh indoors but I'm working on that.

Enough said! I know you want some pics:grinjoint: Veg day 3!

SETUP112.jpg

Setup as it looks today. I got my two seedlings under PET domes made from coke bottles. In the other pots I'll be growing some other herbs just for fun.

IMG_00868.JPG
IMG_00886.JPG

#1. I haven't named them yet. This is just the first seedling that broke through the soil. If I recall this was from the smaller, light seed

IMG_00878.JPG
IMG_00896.JPG

#2. This came up about 12 hours after #1 and is a little shorter but seems to have a thicker stem and broader true leafs.

I just want to say that without you guys this would never happen. Almost all knowledge i got from 420magazine and it's just such a great atmosphere here. Thank you and wish me luck!

Re: Karl's Northern Lights grow- First grow, CFL, LST

Good luck with the grow. I have grown northern lights before and it is a classic for a reason. when fully budded it looks like a stocky upside down shorter to the ground chandelier. truely wonderful strain. I will follow along

Looking good. Just a tip...many people over water their babies so I would just watch that. I would just let the top inch or so of soil dry out before I would water again.

Last time i vegged the northern lights for 6 weeks. After that i flowered for about 6 weeks. I often pick around the 6th week when the trichomes are mostly cloudy and just a few are amber. (handheld microscope). this grow im doing lately i am gonna flower for 10 or 11 weeks and try to go more into the amber (cbc) side of things. more of a full body relaxation. like to switch it up and try different things all the time. Trial and error. You have to learn what works best for you. hopefully i didnt trail off too much brother. lemme see if i can find any of those northern light pictures for you.

They look beautiful sir. Soil does look nice but i would consider adding a bit of perlite to the mix when transferring into larger containers. Never heard of perlite hurting ones crop before. So it would be a win/win situation. Great work Karl.:welldone:

They look beautiful sir. Soil does look nice but i would consider adding a bit of perlite to the mix when transferring into larger containers. Never heard of perlite hurting ones crop before. So it would be a win/win situation. Great work Karl.:welldone:

I might just do that. The problem is that when it's not season the stores doesn't have much. I would probably add it to the seedling pots if I could find perlite. Maybe next transplantation.

I am gonna subb and follow along man. Keep posting and updating, very interested to see how it goes. Good luck!

Is the 8L container the final container you want bring your girls to harvest in?

Yes. As I said the stores around don't have much during the winter. I know it's almost always better to go big with pots but will it make much difference between 8 liter and perhaps 12 liter?

Update! veg day 10.
Even though HempRocket warned me about over watering I managed to do it.
Watered them Sunday morning and both girls got droopy leaves. #2 recovered pretty quick but #1 is still suffering and is not looking too happy. take a look at the pics and tell me what you think.:peace:
IMG_01059.JPG
IMG_01066.JPG

#1. It looked worse before. Are those dark areas in the middle of the leaves anything to worry about.
IMG_010310.JPG
IMG_01049.JPG

#2. My favorite girl as you may imagine. She just keeps on growing without a complain.

Looking good karl. Looks like your second set of three prong leaves are ready to lay out for you. After that you should start getting into your five prong leaves.:) No way to stop them ladies now. Have never seen the hydroton on top of a soil grow. Any benefits or just for stability purposes?

Looking good karl. Looks like your second set of three prong leaves are ready to lay out for you. After that you should start getting into your five prong leaves.:) No way to stop them ladies now. Have never seen the hydroton on top of a soil grow. Any benefits or just for stability purposes?
Well thank you Sir:) So you don't think #1 is in any danger? As a first time grower I guess I'm just anxious. As for the expanded clay, thats for slow evaporation. The top of the soil turns into a hard crust pretty fast otherwise with the fan running.

Back
Top Bottom