Shaft09's Hydro Salvage Grow

shaft09

Hi everyone :welcome:. This is my first attempt at a grow journal. Please feel free to stop by to help me salvage my first grow, lord knows I can use all the help I can get.

Now for a little background at my first attempt.

I started gathering up all the things back in June of this year. The led light came first. I purchased a -- 260x from an online retailer. I based my choice on some journals that I had read on other sites. The threads I followed had shown grows from a company's bottom end led lights and progressed to their top end lights. So I jumped in with both feet and purchased this light. Later I got a 36x36x84 grow tent and set it up in my garage. That was my first mistake, for little did I know that would be the start of my problems.

I ordered my nutes, air pump, and other necessary things online, found a hydroponics shop near my house to get rockwool cubes light hangers and timers. I decided to build my hydro setup, as it seemed pretty simple from looking at the items needed. So far so good. My brother and I bought some seeds next. He had grown before in his back yard, so he knew what kind of seeds he wanted. He got Aurora Indica seeds and I got Master Kush and Bubblelicious from Nirvana.

I germed my seeds and got them planted and that's when the fight broke out. My babies sprouted and were doing ok then everything started to go wrong. The pythium bug bit me! Living in the high desert, I would routinely see temps above 90 by the time I got home from work at 2:30 in the afternoon. Sometimes it would be 99 in the tent. At this time I didn't think to check water temps, I was only concerned with ambient temps. Exhaust fan and tower recirc fan going didn't matter. I also tried to get a venturi effect going by leaving the side garage door open and raising the 2 car garage side raised a little. No go either as I couldn't get enough air passing through the large and small opening to suck the hot air out. The two I had planted died, so it was back to the old drawing board.

I move everything inside to a spare bedroom and start all over. This time I pop another hole in the res and start 3 plants. Things were somewhat better as the sprouts started growing nice root systems. But the same thing happened. That's when I found this site and started doing some reading. I found out I did need to pay attention to ambient temps as well as water temps.

I picked up a tip here to use ice packs. But with my wife and I both working, we couldn't keep an eye on the temps often enough to make a difference, and the same problem came back. I had to cut the roots off on three occasions and start all over. Even with all the problems, my plants still would come back and didn't die.

Next post I learn about beneficial tea.

I'm proud of myself. I never been the first one to sub to a journal. Now attach it to your signature by hitting User CP > Settings > My Settings > Edit Signature

Round 2 ya'll.

I was was fartin' around on the site and came across a thread on Live or Sterile Environment. It was by TheCapn. In it he wrote about beneficial bacteria. It looked like something that might help me, so I gave it a read.In it he wrote about products to introduce live beneficial bacteria to your roots. This was just what I needed, something to help me keep bad bacteria under control and help your roots out in the process. He went on to list the products needed and how to use them. There were three items I didn't have, so I went to my local hydroponics store to purchase them. When I got home, read his post again and went out to the man cave to get this concoction going.

I found out after reading his post a second time, that it would take 2 days to " cook ". I went to check on my grow. I remember thinking that my plants wouldn't last that long lol. I mixed the stuff anyway all the while hoping they would make it. I cleaned out the res and just put back ph adjusted water. As I was going to put my babies back in the tent, I looked at the roots and decided to cut them off 1 last time. That was number 4! Barely had any root left ( Bubbles) at all and the other two had just a bit more. I had 7 gallons of ph water in at the time and needed to take some out as " tea day " was here. I took out 2 gallons of water and put back 1 to my normal level. Ph was at 5.0 at the time I added the tea and went up just a little after that.

I must have checked the tent a gazillion times over the next two days. But amazingly they showed no signs of wilt, and after two days had new roots growing again! Aurora had the most growth, as she was the largest, then Kushie and finally Bubbles. I didn't think Bubbles would make it, but she is still growing. About the same I decided to put them in flower. That was a week ago, and all are doing better. The pics I posted in AfricanGrower's journal ( thanks AG! )show the new growth.

Now where is that broke ass dude? Broke Ass Reg!! lol I did as you suggested Bro and got a journal started. See, told you I would give it some thought. Cultivator, thanks for the offer to help. Just give me a little time to let my finger rest, you know, the middle one! They both are hurting and shakin' on both ends lol. I'll try to give you some answers to your questions. Thanks again for the help offer Bro. KingJohnC, man I never knew something like that existed. Sure beats trying to read that little writing on that bottle. @ The Capn; I think you did some speed reading 'cause you missed something before your last post to me. but we will get that fixed up. If not for your journal, I wouldn't be this far.

I'll try to post more later tonight. Later.

While your fiddling with your Signature I'll try to round up some knowledgeable members to drop by. Post some pics here so they can identify with your grow. :green_heart: This is the 420 way...

Damn Reg you are a handy mofo! lol <3 :Namaste:
I'm just paying it forward. COKE420 did the same for me. That's why he's my hero to this day. :circle-of-love: The circle of love...

Somehow I got 2 journal listings going. But I did go to my other computer and try to get that signature issue worked out and it got worse. TG40 asked a question about heat and my light, so I'll go to the other computer to answer and come back to this one. I'm trying guys.

Hey shaft09 :welcome: to :420: where all your questions get answered and everyone is here to help
Broke ass reg seemed to be a big help
Can't wait to see some pictures on your journal
Here's how to post pics
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos
Water temps are very important by the way
Give us some questions!

COKE420,

Thanks for stopping in and for the pic posting link. Broke Ass Reg was giving me shit earlier about my pics lol. I'm just used to doing it that way, where you have to click on the pic to make it larger. I'll try to conform to the 420 way when I get my head on straight. I'll also try to get more pics posted to show you what is going on and maybe get some advice on how to correct my problems.

Nice, you got one of these journals going! That is a great choice Shaft, as you will soon experience the wealth of knowledge 420 has to offer YOU. To me, a journal acts as a hub for your plants, for other growers to come and go, comment and advise, and most importantly to share the overall growing experience of that plant! I hope you enjoy the benefits a grow journal will make on your ladies;)

I know how hard your struggle has been with pythium problem and I have good hopes that you should pull through with constant monitoring and extra care for your ladies. I really hope your Bubblelicious pulls through too, cause from my experience they are very sensitive to environmental factors!

Don't worry about getting the pictures up here, you'll figure out how too post them eventually. Give the Photo Gallery Guide Thread a read through when you have the time. If you don't mind, I can post the pics in a appropriate size here from my journal for you. If you would rather me take the pictures down, I can always delete the post for you ;)

Again, I want to WELCOME you to :420: and I hope you find much success in your future endeavors! :Namaste:

EDIT:
Consider putting as much of the following information as possible to start the thread with.

What strain is it?
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
If in Veg... For how long?
If in Flower stage... For how long?
Indoor or outdoor?
Soil or Hydro?
If soil... what is in your mix?
If soil... What size pot?
Size of light?
Is it aircooled?
Temp of Room/cab?
RH of Room/cab?
PH of media or res?
Any Pests ?
How often are you watering?
Type and strength of ferts used?

This info will make it much easier for accurate help to be given when needed and keep the members interested in your grow.

I usually just copy and paste the info above and simply fill in the blanks, Good Luck ;)

Shaft09 Grow Setup Pictures

IMG_016117.JPG

IMG_016026.JPG

IMG_015924.JPG

IMG_015327.JPG

IMG_015424.JPG

IMG_015826.JPG

IMG_016525.JPG

my-haul-from-walking-dogs-in-desert-yesterday.563183

Shaft09 Plant Pictures

IMG_015626.JPG

IMG_015726.JPG

After Cutting Roots (Sept. 27)

IMG_015529.JPG

Root Growth (Oct. 4)

IMG_016426.JPG

IMG_016320.JPG

IMG_016225.JPG

Keep this one Shaft; This is the 2nd Journal, the one without the (http) in the Signature Title.

Back
Top Bottom