Spring's Obvious - Stealth Grow!

very nice spring,

have you ever thought about using the dual spectrum hps, it has both the red and blue light needed for both veg and flower, i use the sunmaster 400watt dual spec, i didnt think it was much good for veg but i was growing under 24-0 and 20-4, since changing my schedule to 17-7 i have found my plants have now started to grow with more vigour, much bigger leaves, lots more growth at nodes, plants seem to respond much better when they got a dark period,

cannabis is a c3 plant, we all know this, this means they can be grown under constant light, these plants do grow in the dark, anyone with knowledge would know this or at least if you dont then search the net, yes they can grow under 24-0, you will grow them with no problems, but you wont end up with bigger plants, they might reach maturity 2 weeks earlier so it does offset the extra cost with the lighst been on all the time.

at night these plants do grow, any plant person should know this, at night the plant grows roots so is growing, it also grows upwards in search of light, this explains why my auto under 24-0 finished at 1ft and gave me less than 1/4 of bud, i grew the same auto under 12-12 and it reached 3ft and produced 5 buds at 1ft in length for each bud, gave me just over 2oz in bud, so clearly autos also need dark period,

when we flip 12-12 what do these plants do, they stretch for the first few weeks, why do they stretch?, they stretch because their trying to find the light, trust me i know ive done my research, this is why glr produces monster plants, they plants is getting the best of both worlds, its getting the 12 hours of light which makes it bushy, then it gets 11 hours of dark which makes the plant get taller and branches get longer giving us more nodes to grow bud from,

so 24-0 will grow these plants well, but a plant can only take in as much nutes as the roots can provide, giving the plant some dark allows for more root growth, for instance i grow 2ltr dwc hempies, in the past i veg under 20-4 and my roots never grew longer than about 1ft, now i got a 6inch dwc plant and the roots are well over 2ft in length, so clearly the dark period has enabled the roots to grow like crazy and the plant is using more nutes, i know this because im using a higher dose of bpn to keep the plant growing at its best,

a lot of growers use 24-0 and get good results, each to their own i guess, but plants do grow in the dark, roots grow and stems and branches grow in search of the light, all c3 plants can be grown without light, thats common knowledge, but giving them the dark period is not allowing the plants to sleep, their not humans and plants dont sleep, at night they stop taking in c02 and what they have stored up in the day time then gets used for roots and any repairs that need doing such as topped plants, pruned plants etc etc,

you dont need to give the plants dark, but i have found plants grow better when they get dark, my dwc is clearly doing much better, ive never had roots this big on any of my dwc grows, ive never had roots as long as these, so ill be using the 17-7 schedule for this grow,

its one of them arguments that will be going on for years and years, each grower thinks their method is the best, we all do. but from my own experience and the many plants i have grown i have found all plants grow better when given a dark period, ive never had leaves this big on strains that ive grown under 20-4 or 24-0, ive never had my leaves looking such a nice shade of green,

same with autos, ive always grown these under 24-0 and 20-4 due to everyone saying they need the most light, but me and another grower growing autos has found that 12-12 really does produce much better results with the autos we have been growing, check out jons journal, he got a monster auto grown under 12-12, im growing the same autos again under 17-7 just to see how they grow and if ill get smaller yields with 17-7,
the theory im working on is this,
autos grow and flower due to age,
so to make it simple lets say an auto needs 240 hours of light to be ready to harvest from day 1, we know they take much longer but this way is easier for you to see what i mean,
so under 24-0 it takes 10 days to reach 240 hours of light
under 12-12 it takes twice as long, and when the lights are off the plant is growing roots and searching for the light, this makes the plant taller, it makes the side branches longer,
my kc 45 started flowering at week 2 under 20-4,
under 12-12 it didnt start flowering till week 4 and it was twice the size of the 5 i had grown before if the same strain,
it took 3 to 4 weeks longer to reach harvest, but it produced around 2oz mark compared to around 1/4 to 3 8ths when grown under both 24-0 and 20-4,

@spring, try one of these dual spec bulbs mate, you might find their perfect for your grow, they can be used for both veg and flower and they get good reviews on all the sites that use this type of bulb, it produces both spectrums needed for veg and flower, we know outdoors plants get both blue and red spectrum during veg and glower so why shouldnt we give plants both indoors, its the only hps light i used as i got the bulb free with the ballast, so was going to buy mh and regular hps bulb to try none dual spec bulbs as i was not getting good results in veg with the dual spec bulb, i was getting good results in flower but other growers where getting much better veg results with mh bulbs, but then i changed my schedule from 20-4 down to 17-7 and now im getting huge leaves from strains i had grown before, im getting more nodal growth, the only thing thats changed in my grow room is the schedule,
actually thats a lie, the other thing i changed was the amount of nutes my dwc gets, it seems to be able to take higher doses of bpn now with no signs of stress, im nearly at double strength with the strain im growing now, leaves seemed a light green colour so kept upping the dose and now the plant is a nice shade of dark green and growing well, it might be down to the huge roots taking in more nutes and water but so far the plant seems to like the extra nutes and is growing like crazy.

their is a copy of a msg from jandre on my jounal that explains why plants respond better to a dark period,

Re: Spring's Obviouas/Stealth grow!

Hey all....I am still around!~! Been super busy getting ready for a grand opening of a major Outdoor retail store...My digital ballast took a dump on me..Something about needing to unplug it before changing bulb types? Well it went nuts and kept shutting off every 30 seconds or so. Sent it out for a warranty swap. Got the CFl's rolling for now. I have few new sprouts. 2 to be exact. One is a fem Afghan Kush the other two are reg freebies..Ill have some fresh pics this weekend...Hang in there with me guys..I'm still a member of 420 Mag!!!!

Re: Spring's Obviouas/Stealth grow!

I have few new sprouts. 2 to be exact. One is a fem Afghan Kush the other two are reg freebies..Ill have some fresh pics this weekend...Hang in there with me guys..I'm still a member of 420 Mag!!!!

Glad to see you're still around, love your journals. Ballast crapping out sucks, but warranties are good ;) I love Afghan Kush, also like the Afgoo strain some dispensaries around here manage to get sometimes, nice and hashy :) :Namaste:

Once again DonPaul has added what I would basically be saying! Tho he makes more sense? lol..
So DonPaul, I was contemplating a DUAL-SPEC for flower myself, as I am of the frame of mind that the Sun has both spectrums and the plant can Veg and Flower under that light source. So I also thought that having a DUAL would give not only Flowering growth, But will also enable the plant to Veg still nicely as well creating more size IMO..
Its a theory Im yet to try, But am not far from it I tell ya!! So I take it you ve done grows with a solo HPS for flower? And from your comments, I feel that you believe you ve gotten good if not better results than with just a HPS.. Also this may explain why there seems to be a slight stall in plant growth once you flip to 12/12, the plants adjusting to the different lighting!!:partyboy: So I guess that there d be less stalling using a DUAL SPEC.
Great info and as always great explanations of what youre on about! We have similar trains-of-thought, So I always enjoy reading what you post as it re iterates my thoughts towards a subject.. Good to have ya on board!
Springa - Your young one s are looking rather perky:) Alwayz a good sign, hoping that they will grow into marvellous monsters for you. take it easy buddy, Smokemup:goodjob:

Howdy Spring Glad to see you are still about:)
Happy Frieday:)

Wasup Spring?:circle-of-love:

hey guys!! Thanks for thinking of me. The girls and I are doing well....I have been so damn busy with work but normalcy is coming soon! When my Digital ballast went down I thought I would be down for a week. Well I was down close to a month. This really hurt my auto girls bad. I had my back up 300 watt cfl but that was not enough. I should have set up all my CFL's but I kept thinking the Ballast was on its way through warranty. Finally got it back but too late for the autos' They are small and weak. maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 of my past auto's. The Blue berry still looks damn good but weight will be around an ounce.....damn....I have started other regs and one confirmed Afghan Kush fem. All counted I have the 2 auto's soon to be harvested ( 3 weeks? ), Afghan Kush fem, 7 local bag weed unknown sex. Looking good for later this year! Well my luck was in the Ballast Company accidently sent me a duplicate order...Hmmm...Now I have two 600 watt digital ballasts...What to do? I could be hones and return it or.....maybe a friend in need?....

Any way guys thanks for sticking by me through my absence...I'm still around and think of the 420 mag community daily...

Happy Friedday Spring:circle-of-love:
Did they send you a prepaid box to send the ballast back?

Hey guys thanks for the replys! Nope I did not receive a prepaid return box...smart thinkin Fish!!

My girls are doing as well as I could expect. Especially after the whole ballast break down. The Blue Mystic Auto is just about done. She is only 64 days old. The pics tell the truth!! Crazy..I will most definitely order more seeds and she how she does under full 600 watt and not my back up cfl. You can see the other Auto Mazar as well. She did not take too the cfl back up well at all. Stunted her growth. Anybody that has seen my previous Mazar knows I pulled several ounces of quality bud from her. I have several other projects going on as well. 5 are local bag weed. They all just came back from the Bassman's barber shop so please do not be shocked. I love doing this and will probably continue to do it..So basically I have 10 going now. The Blue Mystic auto is coming down any day now. I have looked her over with my 40x and the trichs are milky 10% amber. Damn at 64 days! She was flushed two days ago. The auto mazar needs another 30 days to recover. I have one confirmed female ( Afghan Kush ). The rest are in limbo until I see sex. I'm running my MH for now. The HPS took a dump after the ballast issue. I'm thinking the bulb may have been the culprit all along...I know stupid me. Hmm I'll have to look locally and make a trade for the extra ballast.. Could use a quality 600 watt hps.

Has anyone had any issues with --- products going bad if stored in high temps?

image_7_7.jpeg
image_9_5.jpeg
image_4_7.jpeg
image_3_8.jpeg
image_6_7.jpeg
image_5_6.jpeg
image107.jpeg

Started under an 600 watt HPS then the breakdown of my ballast. Spent 30 days under CFL then back to 600 watt MH roughly 2 weeks ago. The seedlings have been under the 600 watt MH completely.. They are doing great so far. I'm also going back to 100% FFOF soil. No more playing around with different mixes for now. Now that I have been reading around I realized the drama I missed with a certain nute sponsor...Great... thats all I have used. Well I need to get a new nute regiment. Kinda suckks I really liked the ease of use..Any suggestions guys? I could go back to using the FF line.....

Thanks again for stopping by!

Started under an 600 watt HPS then the breakdown of my ballast. Spent 30 days under CFL then back to 600 watt MH roughly 2 weeks ago. The seedlings have been under the 600 watt MH completely.. They are doing great so far. I'm also going back to 100% FFOF soil. No more playing around with different mixes for now. Now that I have been reading around I realized the drama I missed with a certain nute sponsor...Great... thats all I have used. Well I need to get a new nute regiment. Kinda suckks I really liked the ease of use..Any suggestions guys? I could go back to using the FF line.....

Thanks again for stopping by!

Hi Spring :)

Nice to see you back :thumb:

I'm not really in a position to recommend anything,

but I am very happy with this Medi One I have from Green Planet nutes.

The only problems I had were the temps in the wardrobe and feeing to late when they needed it.

Otherwise healthy plants :)

I grew tomatoes outside with only "Fish, blood and Bone" for $1 and they grew huge and strong and taste fantastic.

Also, I used Biobizz fishmixx in the greenhouse. Stinky but great. no deficiencies or nuteburn.

Happy Skunkday Spring:circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom