420 HerbFarma Moby Dick Grow - First Journal

Re: 420 HerbFarma Moby Dick Grow - First Journal & Grow Help Required

Looking excellant brother. You will soon have tons of bud sites once flipped. Our Moby will have to be super cropped soon, as she is nearing the lights. We have found Moby to be very easy to grow and a great producer as well as a great smoke. Keep up the great work.

Thanks gmt. It's good to know someone who knows the strain is along for the ride. On average how much stretch should I expect from the moby dick? I water them once every two days ( it more depends on how it feels wen I lift the pot) with calmag added. I've supplemented with a time release fertilizer called Smartcote and have been seeing positive results.
What are your opinions on adding some type of organic tea when I start flowering?

Plants are looking really good man, excited to see how these plants turn out ;). I'll definitely be following closer now, I've been looking into timed release ferts for my garden as well, I'm eager to see your results. :Namaste:

So here we are with another update at DAY 44 of Veg. I have recently changed my lighting hours back to 18/6. i have been progressively shortening the hours trying to imitate as nature does :S....we'll see.....
My two feminized moby dick plants have both shown female sex preflowers ( durr soon to come in the following pics). one out of the three great white plants is growing nicely while the other two really seem to be lagging behind. i have also been experiencing some inter-venal yellowing on some of the older fan leaves. is this normal right now in veg? All the different grow shoots are beginning to show staggered growth. a sign of maturity i believe.
Here is Moby Dick #1
011357.jpg

this one shows a pair of white hairs about an inch above where my finger is in the photo.i need to figure out how to take better pics.
012299.jpg

the folowing pics shows the yellowing in a couple fan leaves. Any advice on what to do? i have fed them yesterday with a full dose of calmag and plain 6.8 ph water
013295.jpg
014270.jpg
015247.jpg

This is Moby Dick #2. She has some light damaged leaves and about two yellowing leaves way at the bottom of the bush. all in all not too bad i think. I want to get these plants to optimum health before i switch to flowering.
016219.jpg
017196.jpg
018183.jpg
019157.jpg
020152.jpg

Great White #1 a pretty perfect little plant. no yellowing and the largest of the three great white plants
021162.jpg
022126.jpg

Great White #2 experiencing some yellowing in her older leaves
023128.jpg
024112.jpg
025121.jpg
026103.jpg

Great White #3 also experiencing the same yellowing
027101.jpg
028108.jpg
02994.jpg
03083.jpg

About an hour after lights on today this is how a group shot inside looks
03185.jpg
03275.jpg

As always im always open to any suggestions on how i could improve.

Got any Maxicrop, give em a foliar feed for a quick shot of N. I'd say they look good and ready to be flowered.

Unfortunately I don't have any maxicrop. On a more fortunate note however they do look better today with some returning green

Moby Dick
Seed Bank: Dinafem
Type: Feminized
The best known strain in our catalogue, it is also one of the strongest and very typical sativa.

It is the result of crossing the 2 best clones of our Mother Plants, a sativa with an indica. Moby Dick is our most psychoactive strain with a concentration of up to 21% THC and the presence of THCV, a substance present in equatorial sativas produced in response to the sun’s ultraviolet rays; this substance makes the effect of the THC stronger, to the point that the effect can be felt after just 2 or 3 puffs. The low CBO concentration helps to make the effect psychoactively intense and lasting; it speeds you up both physically and mentally and the come down is long, slightly physical and noticeable.
It produces great hunger and thirst, and it is advisable to eat and drink well, to counteract its effects. Due to this increase in appetite, it is recommended to treat the secondary effects of chemotherapy and anorexia. There are 2 main phenotypes for this cross, a dominant sativa which is present in 65% of the plants approximately, and the rest, that are usually smaller and faster.

The sativa phenotype has a wood, pine, incense aroma, and the indica type is sweeter.

To develop this strain to its full potential, it needs a lot of light, up to 800 watts per square metre and a very high E.C between 1.5 and 2.00 as this strain needs more feeding than most of the strains.

It is highly recommended to control the pH as well, making sure it does not exceed 6.5 otherwise it could demonstrate symptoms of iron deficiency in the form of progressive yellowing of the inter-venal spaces on the leaves and wrinkling on the tips of the leaflets. This defiCiency does not really affect the plant’s health but it could restrict the harvest if it is really serious.

Outdoors, full sun, plentiful soil and water and widely spacing the trees 3 m apart will ensure trees which grow to 3 m tall and a harvest of up to 1500 grams in optimal conditions. The flowering period is quite fast indoors (60/70 days), 15th October outdoors with good mould resistance inherited from the sativa parent plant.

Flowering period: 60-70 days
Harvest outdoors: From 10th to 25th October
T.H.C: Very High (16%·20%)
C.B.D: Low
Production: Very High
Height outdoors: Can reach 3.5 m
Blend: Sativa-Indica with Sativa dominance
Genotype: Haze X White Widow

It's the second to last paragraph that has me interested. It could be the reason I am experiencing yellowing in the leaves. Next watering I will try a lower ph and see what difference that makes.

I have a question for any of you experts listening. Would a plant that has been lst'ed to produce several bud sites yield a less potent marijuana than one that has been pruned to produce just a few but very large buds given both were the same strain and both indoors in similar environments?
Also would you deem CO2 enrichment as integral for a personal grower whose interested in producing potency first over yield?

I'd appreciate any insight you have to offer me

Potency is not affected by LST or Trimming. Yields are however, but it also depends on the strain. As far as CO2, CO2 is responsible for as much as 74% of a plants growth from literature I have read. I am gearing up to run CO2 in our grow room soon. Pruning the bottom 1/3 of the plant early on will force the lower branches to reach for the light and also produce larger buds, as the plant can use the additional resources gained from pruning the lowest branches.

Day 52 Veg
Well im back with an update on our ladies. Im really worried about the yellowing i am experiencing in my leaves. It was first concentrated in the lower fan leaves and is spreading now through the middle.one of my moby dick has its largest fans lookin really pale.
also there is fading on the top growth as well!! receding inward from the tips. Im also having purple petioles and purple striped stems with cupped leaves. can any one help me diagnose what i am doing wrong. I am pretty sure it cant be the crf's because i have a buddy doing an identical grow and his are doing great.i have been giving them a full teaspoon dose of cal/mag in their waterings ( i had been building up to it) recently and still experiencing yellowing. Is it possibly a chain of nute lockout happening. i have been doing alot of research but im not too sure on what it is and on what to do at this point.
i dont want to make it worst because i want to put them into flowering really soon.
Any and all help with nailing this prob would be greatly appreciated.
this is the cal mag i use
03756.jpg
03656.jpg

These are pics of the girls yesterday. oh on another note i still havent been able to sex any of the great white yet.
Moby Dick #1
004615.jpg
005589.jpg
006512.jpg
007513.jpg
008475.jpg

Moby Dick #2
009439.jpg
010408.jpg
011360.jpg
012303.jpg
013297.jpg
014272.jpg
015249.jpg

She has purple stems and petioles, droopy leaves, browning and yellowing of the leaf edges

Great White #1
016221.jpg
017197.jpg
018184.jpg
019159.jpg

All in all not suffering too badly. but its top growth is purpling.

Great White #2
020155.jpg
021164.jpg
022127.jpg
023130.jpg
024114.jpg

She is really taking it badly.yellowing leaves with brown spots
Great White #3
025122.jpg
026104.jpg
027102.jpg
028109.jpg

Great White #4
02995.jpg
03084.jpg
03187.jpg

these are pics from today
those two big yellow fans you see are Moby Dick #1 :(
03276.jpg
03374.jpg
03462.jpg
03565.jpg

im hoping for some quick replies so we can nip this problem in the bud and get to some budding.

I see you are using the GO CaMg. We are using the entire lineup and swear by it. I reread your first page to see what soil mix you are using. Here is something you want to bear in mind for future grows. If you plan on using nutrients, then you should consider using a cooler soil. Your soil mix is a "Hot mix", meaning it has nutrients and fertilizers in it already. Adding additional nutrients to a hot soil mix will cause nutrient burn and lock out. Running a neutral, or cool soil mix lets you control the nutrients that the plants receive much better than premixing the soil. We are running a mix of 25% Fox Farm Ocean Forest and 75% Promix or Sunshine mix. The Fox Farms contains enough compost with nutrients to help with plant growth in the vegetative stage and will help retain moisture. The Promix is a majority of spagnum moss, and will help keep the soil mix light and airy, plus, contains very little nutrients. This way you can control the nutrients for the ladies much better than if you saturate the soil with nutrients, specially if they are time released nutrients. It also has the added effect of keeping cost down and simplifying the grow. I recommend to use the cool soil mix with the GO lineup to everyone I know around here. Many of our friends have switched and are very happy with the results. The complete GO lineup is about $160.00, but you only need the BioRoot, BioThrive, BioWeed and CaMg to begin with. Just follow the nutrient schedule and you will see amazing results. You can even double the CaMg and the plants will love it. Hope this helps. Best of luck brother, keep em green.

GMT1975A said:
I see you are using the GO CaMg. We are using the entire lineup and swear by it. I reread your first page to see what soil mix you are using. Here is something you want to bear in mind for future grows. If you plan on using nutrients, then you should consider using a cooler soil. Your soil mix is a "Hot mix", meaning it has nutrients and fertilizers in it already. Adding additional nutrients to a hot soil mix will cause nutrient burn and lock out. Running a neutral, or cool soil mix lets you control the nutrients that the plants receive much better than premixing the soil. We are running a mix of 25% Fox Farm Ocean Forest and 75% Promix or Sunshine mix. The Fox Farms contains enough compost with nutrients to help with plant growth in the vegetative stage and will help retain moisture. The Promix is a majority of spagnum moss, and will help keep the soil mix light and airy, plus, contains very little nutrients. This way you can control the nutrients for the ladies much better than if you saturate the soil with nutrients, specially if they are time released nutrients. It also has the added effect of keeping cost down and simplifying the grow. I recommend to use the cool soil mix with the GO lineup to everyone I know around here. Many of our friends have switched and are very happy with the results. The complete GO lineup is about $160.00, but you only need the BioRoot, BioThrive, BioWeed and CaMg to begin with. Just follow the nutrient schedule and you will see amazing results. You can even double the CaMg and the plants will love it. Hope this helps. Best of luck brother, keep em green.

Hey GMT really appreciate the quick response. I understand what you mean by the soil being "hot". I have heard nothing but good things about FFOF, problem is I don't have access to any. My hydro store doesn't carry it and I can't seem to find it anywhere else. I have access to promix tho. And my hydro store also doesn't carry the full line of GO. :(
So is there anything I can do at the moment?
I'm always hoping to learn and improve as I go along so next grow I have alot more to think about and consider thanks to you guys and the info I get from all the threads on 420.

xengrow said:
Browsed threw your pages looks good dude. Girls are looking good, any chance you could take some pics on how you have your LST setup, just interested looking to see what other people do. How much longer do you have?

I'll get some up later tonight. I'd really want to get my yellowing under manners before I flip d lights

Hey GMT really appreciate the quick response. I understand what you mean by the soil being "hot". I have heard nothing but good things about FFOF, problem is I don't have access to any. My hydro store doesn't carry it and I can't seem to find it anywhere else. I have access to promix tho. And my hydro store also doesn't carry the full line of GO. :(
So is there anything I can do at the moment?
I'm always hoping to learn and improve as I go along so next grow I have alot more to think about and consider thanks to you guys and the info I get from all the threads on 420.

Try a straight water flush on the affected plants brother. Is your tap water chlorinated? If so, use a cheap water purifier to dechlorinate, then rinse with that water or purchase a gallon or two of drinking water(unclorinated). Also, bear in mind that the GO lineup does not require ph balancing. Is it possible for you to order the GO lineup from online or the local hydro store? That is what we did here, and now even the owner has switched to GO. She even stocks more of the GO than any other lines, and can't keep them on the shelves. You can also check:
Problems, Pests & Disease Control - 420 Magazine
to help you diagnose any problems. Hope this helps out brother. Best of luck!:goodluck:

Ok so i was having some pc problems last night but i will post some pics of how I lst.
I keep it simple and use soft twine ties and clips/tape/wire pretty much whatever is available.
First i placed a counter tie on them like so
003636.jpg

then tie to the edge of the pot like this
004603.jpg

then as they get larger i add supplemental ties. i was trying to follow a lst method where you guide the main stem around the pot. but i strayed away from that and focused mainly on spreading growth out evenly over the surface of the pot and trying to maximize shoots.
004617.jpg
002691.jpg

from this
025122.jpg

to this
020155.jpg

the leaves right themselves pretty quickly if all is well. the auxin levels in the top grow shoots changes and promotes side branching and growth. also it helps with maintaining an even canopy and allowing light to reach more parts of the plant.
an uneven growth on the canopy
001648.JPG

after 1/2 lst work is done
007516.jpg

100 % lsted
008477.jpg

perfect for cfls like this
010409.JPG

namaste!

update time ladies and gentlemen! Day 3 flowering. Tuesday at four was their first day of 12/12. GW#4(aka the one in the water jug) was very wilted when i checked on them after the 36 hours of darkness. Fortunately today they all look alot better plus we have stretch!!!
Moby Dick #1
001652.jpg
002694.jpg

Moby Dick #2 is considerably less stretchy so far
003655.jpg
004624.jpg

Great White# 1
005596.jpg
006516.jpg

Great White# 2
007522.jpg
008483.jpg

Great White# 3
009442.jpg
010413.jpg

Growth is strong with all the Great white plants. now they jus need to be sexed.
they are really starting to take off. Day to day differences are huge!!!

Great White# 4 has really bounced back and looks great. it was alot worse. the yellow at the bottom is nothing compared to how it looked two days ago so this is definitelee improvement
011362.jpg
012305.jpg

Why would you use time release nutes. it is like g said very hot and locking it all out hope you call save them from destruction. are you going to repot for flower if so you should try a nuetral or MG moisture control with about tree cups for every 1.5-2 cubic feet or whatever the bags says. Very common at Wlly world

Back
Top Bottom